ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Chris Pratt Lands GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Lead (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269732)

keg in kc 08-04-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10793886)
I get the feeling that a lot of the overwhelmingly positive reviews this movie is getting are due to the recency effect. When the dust settles, I think it will be mentioned as one of the best, but not the best. It has a few problems.

Every marvel movie has a few problems. I think Guardians is on par with Avengers and Cap 2. That said, I've never held either the first Iron Man or Captain America on the level that others do. They were good for basically introducing already mainstream characters. Guardians is something a whole lot more risky and I think a whole lot more ambitious, and the fact that they managed to pull it off so well is really something.

Swanman 08-04-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10794017)
Every marvel movie has a few problems. I think Guardians is on par with Avengers and Cap 2. That said, I've never held either the first Iron Man or Captain America on the level that others do. They were good for basically introducing already mainstream characters. Guardians is something a whole lot more risky and I think a whole lot more ambitious, and the fact that they managed to pull it off so well is really something.

In looking over comic book nerd rankings, it seems that Winter Soldier is Marvel's Empire Strikes Back. Many ranked that one as #1. Then in that second tier most had Iron Man, Avengers and Guardians.

Anyong Bluth 08-04-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10794017)

Exactly, and for Gunn to get to do it his way and Marvel, who has a history of allowing their directors very little creative license or delineation. It is ironic that Guardians probably had a less rigid blueprint due to its general obscurity, and, for me, a large reason I enjoyed it was because it wasn't another remake / known quantity.

Everyone has mentioned the soundtrack, and you're all right. The selection in juxtaposition with the onscreen action / scene was just delicious especially Cherry Bomb.

ThaVirus 08-04-2014 04:53 PM

Bitchin' ass soundtrack. After reading some of you old fart's reviews I was expecting some sweet classic metal (which sucks). I was pleasantly surprised to hear the 70's R&B or whatever-genre-those-songs-are..

Oh, and Thanos looked ****ING AWESOME.

Aries Walker 08-04-2014 09:12 PM

Thanos really did look like a tremendous, throne-sitting badass.

ThaVirus 08-04-2014 09:25 PM

Dude, he looked and sounded AMAZING.

I didn't even know he'd be in this film so I was a bit thrown off. They did not disappoint.

Sure-Oz 08-04-2014 09:25 PM

I can't wait to buy this on bluray. Was it good in 3d

Silock 08-04-2014 11:20 PM

It looked like every other 3D movie to me. But I might be a bad judge considering I have a 3D projector at home.

WhiteWhale 08-05-2014 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 10794038)
In looking over comic book nerd rankings, it seems that Winter Soldier is Marvel's Empire Strikes Back. Many ranked that one as #1. Then in that second tier most had Iron Man, Avengers and Guardians.

IMO... Guardians was hands down (as in it's not really close at all) marvel's best movie yet.

Avengers was only good for the 2nd half (I found the first half of the film straight up obnoxious) and the Winter soldier totally copped out on that plot twist.

I had a huge smile on my face from start to finish watching this film, and was expecting another over-hyped Marvel film... fun but forgettable. Instead I got one of the best sci fi action movies I've ever seen.

Swanman 08-05-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10795299)
IMO... Guardians was hands down (as in it's not really close at all) marvel's best movie yet.

Avengers was only good for the 2nd half (I found the first half of the film straight up obnoxious) and the Winter soldier totally copped out on that plot twist.

I had a huge smile on my face from start to finish watching this film, and was expecting another over-hyped Marvel film... fun but forgettable. Instead I got one of the best sci fi action movies I've ever seen.

It was definitely my favorite Marvel movie to date. I read the entire 2008 comic book run of Guardians, as well as some of the current issues and the Annihilation run that contains a huge amount of involvement with the Guardians (including Ronan as a good guy). The movie did a great job of getting enough of the backstory for each character right. Each character had small differences but by and large it got the overall picture really well.

Spoiler!

Valiant 08-05-2014 07:47 AM

I think this was also the most visually impressive Marvel movie, and up there with some of the top movies. All the action was clear and crisp, not like transformers or Avengers. It was fun to see the action.

NewChief 08-05-2014 08:38 AM

This is a freaking awesome Chris Pratt video. Gets called out by DJ Whoo Kid about his love of Eminem, so he goes crazy doing an acapella "Forgot about Dre".

NSFW for Language
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WdqfR0wRTbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jamie 08-05-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10792602)
Which infinity stone is this one?

The consensus seems to be that it's power. And that the Aether from Thor 2 is reality, the Tesseract is space, and Loki's scepter is mind.

okcchief 08-05-2014 06:21 PM

I saw this Saturday. This is my favorite popcorn click as an adult. I don't remember being entertained all the way through a movie like this since Star Wars or Indiana Jones as a kid. I personally thought it was by far Marvel ' s best movie to date.

Psyko Tek 08-05-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 10796451)
I saw this Saturday. This is my favorite popcorn click as an adult. I don't remember being entertained all the way through a movie like this since Star Wars or Indiana Jones as a kid. I personally thought it was by far Marvel ' s best movie to date.

that was how I felt

like after star wars, raiders, army of darkness
I DON"T ****ING CARE IF IT WAS GOOD, I LOVED IT
will see with my son again next kid weekend

VIN DIESEL FOR BEST SUPPORTING SPECIAL EFFECT