ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Game of Thrones *Spoiler* Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257986)

Huffmeister 04-02-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8511417)
The casting is excellent in this series but the Melisandre and Stannis choices aren't doing it for me early on. Maybe they'll grow on me?

I liked Melisandre, but I agree about Stannis. I'm hoping he'll get better. And I hope that Renly will be better now that he's king.

vailpass 04-02-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8511437)
I liked Melisandre, but I agree about Stannis. I'm hoping he'll get better. And I hope that Renly will be better now that he's king.

Renly is a shadow of his former self.

KChiefer 04-02-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8511413)
Yes Tyrion got her although I was disappointed they cut out the dialogue there where he was giving her shit about sleeping with Jaime and she slapped him 3 times for it. That part gave me lulz when I read it.

Something like " you were ****ing our sweet Jaime" *slap* "though it seems unfair that you would open your legs for one brother and not the other" *slap* " I never understood what Jaime saw in you besides his own reflection" *slap*

Great point. Maybe they're saving that scene. It's so great! Is it then that she tries to slap him again and he grabs her and and says she won't do that again! Maybe with her slapping Joffery they didn't want her slapping half the people she talked to in one episode.

It's funny to think about King Robert slapping her and now it's her rebuttal of choice.

Another thing about changes I didn't like. In season one Jaime said the line, "The king shits, and the hand wipes." But in the book it was, "The king eats, and the hand takes the shit." I just like the book line so much more. So many things in these books should be word for word.

keg in kc 04-02-2012 11:05 AM

My theory on Stannis is that if we like the character, they're doing it wrong.

KChiefer 04-02-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8511417)
The casting is excellent in this series but the Melisandre and Stannis choices aren't doing it for me early on. Maybe they'll grow on me?

Yeah Melisandre just doesn't seem foreboding and/or seductive enough for me. Maybe if they'd have kept her red eyes. I feel like she should have a voice like Galadriel in TLotR.

And Stannis was BORING, although he's described as such when Loras said "Stannis has the personality of a lobster."

PhillyChiefFan 04-02-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8511413)
Yes Tyrion got her although I was disappointed they cut out the dialogue there where he was giving her shit about sleeping with Jaime and she slapped him 3 times for it. That part gave me lulz when I read it.

Something like " you were ****ing our sweet Jaime" *slap* "though it seems unfair that you would open your legs for one brother and not the other" *slap* " I never understood what Jaime saw in you besides his own reflection" *slap*

I thought the same thing. I remember thinking at the time, I can't wait to see how Peter Dinklage pull this scene off...

Sfeihc 04-02-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8511457)

I agree

PhillyChiefFan 04-02-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 8511493)
Yeah Melisandre just doesn't seem foreboding and/or seductive enough for me. Maybe if they'd have kept her red eyes. I feel like she should have a voice like Galadriel in TLotR.

And Stannis was BORING, although he's described as such when Loras said "Stannis has the personality of a lobster."

I think that's why they have her wearing the glowing red neckace.

She seems much more dark in the book, they also skipped a lot of that scene. Stannis didn't have any interaction with Master Cressan.

In the book Stannis seems much more outspoken and dark, that just me?

Bowser 04-02-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8511431)
I really like the portrayal of Davos. Strong, but subservient.

Another drawback of going the audio route with the books. In those, I got to know him through his voice, and his voice sounded nearly identical to this guy -

http://www.planet-familyguy.com/pfg/...ers/pirate.jpg

vailpass 04-02-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8511457)

Agreed. My complaint isn't that they don't portray Stannis as likeable (he isn't supposed to be), my complaint is the old "he isn't what I pictured when reading the book" which isn't really valid but nonetheless it is there.

keg in kc 04-02-2012 11:29 AM

I don't know why, but I always envisioned Stannis as bald for some reason.

Bowser 04-02-2012 11:30 AM

For some reason, I had it in my brain that Stannis was the oldest Baratheon, and RObert was middle kid. I could have sworn they said Stannis was the middle son in the show.

Is that correct, or is my attention to detail just plain poop?

keg in kc 04-02-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8511560)
For some reason, I had it in my brain that Stannis was the oldest Baratheon, and RObert was middle kid. I could have sworn they said Stannis was the middle son in the show.

Same for me. I always thought Stannis was the oldest brother.

(I think we're both wrong about that, however)

Huffmeister 04-02-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8511565)
Same for me. I always thought Stannis was the oldest brother.

(I think we're both wrong about that, however)

I'm pretty sure Stannis is the oldest. And speaking of how his pictured in your mind's eye, I always pictured him as a younger version of Christopher Lee's Count Dooku. No idea why, but like Vailpass said, it's probably why I'm not entirely on board with this actor yet.

keg in kc 04-02-2012 11:56 AM

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Stannis_Baratheon says he's the "elder of Robert Baratheon's younger brothers". (That's the older wiki that was originally for the books, not the newer wiki for the tv series).