ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Ft Riley? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269118)

crazycoffey 01-21-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerberos (Post 9339275)
Proves the point even more that there are good size hills in that part of KS. I am guessing you went all the way to the top?

I don't remember the whole story about that cannon at the top but I do remember it could lob nuclear warheads a few hundred miles???

get some good skiing on that massive mound of dirt? rock climbing, moutain walk, etc. jeez. talk about beating dead horses. what's next, I didn't use capital letters to start my sentences?

Its flat and boring, unless you grew up there and have a sentimental value / family connection to the area, it wouldn't be in the middle, let alone on top, of many peoples wish lists.

I'd take FLW, Bragg, lewis, drum, any in california, germany, hawaii, alaska, all over riley.

crazycoffey 01-21-2013 04:06 PM

http://www.circleofmoms.com/military...or-army-271235#_

some military wifes/moms talking about family plus stations, get your wife on there to talk to people all over.

military onesource is a great resource too

damaticous 01-21-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damaticous (Post 9338550)
I'm not really sure how much I can say, but I will tell you this.

my step-brother is pretty high up in the army. He has been to Afghanistan and Iraq multiple times. He was stationed in North Carolina (I think). He was in Alaska a while too. He currently is stationed in Leavenworth. He likes Leavenworth only because it's close to his and his wife's family, and fairly close to the stadium.

He recently got a promotion and decided to move his family back to Alaska. He loved it up there and couldn't wait for another opportunity to move back. He's an outdoors type of person that Loves hunting, fishing, golf, etc. His kids will like it, but his wife won't like being so far away from her parents in Kansas.

Like I said, I'm not sure how much I can tell, but let's just say a base or two in Alaska will be getting a fun, Chiefs fan with season tickets, nice, and cool, guy to a VERY high rank.

Found out today that I can talk about my step bro. He is a Colonel. He will be at both bases. He has to be there on Feb 13th. It's going to take him 2 weeks to drive there and his wife and kids will go later.

He is really excited about it and can't wait to get there. He has always wanted to be a Colonel since a little boy. He loves the area and plans to retire there as well.

I'm not sure what he is going to do with his season tickets. If he keeps them I may go halvies with him since he will be so far away to use them.

Old Dog 01-22-2013 08:16 AM

LMAO at folks bagging on Riley, most of which I'm willing to bet have never been stationed there.

It's been said many times, but it's true: The worst post you've ever had is the one you're at and the best is the one you just left.

crazycoffey 01-22-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 9340859)
LMAO at folks bagging on Riley, most of which I'm willing to bet have never been stationed there.

It's been said many times, but it's true: The worst post you've ever had is the one you're at and the best is the one you just left.

so, during your re-enlistment, with location options open to your choice, where is riley on your wishlist?

Old Dog 01-22-2013 09:05 AM

I'm retired, so it's not relevant, but while I was in it was in the top ten stateside....in order

Wainright (though not considered CONUS....never made it there)
Carson (tried it and hated it)
Leavenworth (was never stationed there)
Lewis (tried it and didn't care much for it)
McClellan (closed now, but LOVED it)
Meade (liked it there, was able to show the kids a lot of historical sites)
Riley (retired near here)
Sam Houston (not bad, but it's where careers go to die....can expound if you like)

crazycoffey 01-22-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 9340946)
I'm retired, so it's not relevant, but while I was in it was in the top ten stateside....in order

Wainright (though not considered CONUS....never made it there)
Carson (tried it and hated it)
Leavenworth (was never stationed there)
Lewis (tried it and didn't care much for it)
McClellan (closed now, but LOVED it)
Meade (liked it there, was able to show the kids a lot of historical sites)
Riley (retired near here)
Sam Houston (not bad, but it's where careers go to die....can expound if you like)

It's relevant because he's asking for input on where he should decide to go. Curious if you were from central kansas to begin with.

The military has forced me to go many places I wouldn't choose to go, you just have to learn to make the most of where you're at. With a question like the OP, I gave the answers I gave.

Old Dog 01-22-2013 09:17 AM

OK, to answer your question, not originally from central Kansas.

Why in the world would anyone have Leonard Wood or Drum on their wish list though? I'm just curious, though I've been to both, I've not done any prolonged time at either and have never heard much good from either one.

I've heard many folks like Irwin as well, but the only times I was there were for NTC rotations so it isn't high on the duty stations I could recommend.

crazycoffey 01-22-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 9340970)
OK, to answer your question, not originally from central Kansas.

Why in the world would anyone have Leonard Wood or Drum on their wish list though? I'm just curious, though I've been to both, I've not done any prolonged time at either and have never heard much good from either one.

I've heard many folks like Irwin as well, but the only times I was there were for NTC rotations so it isn't high on the duty stations I could recommend.

I'm from mid Mo, and had many summers at the lake of the ozarks. while stationed at FLW we would pull weekend MP duty at mark twain, on the lake, a military resort, cabins-fishing-boat rentals, and close to my Dad's lake house = family etc.

drum, is close to the great lakes and many upstate new york state parks. would be interesting to me.

Kerberos 01-24-2013 07:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 9339481)
I'd take FLW, Bragg, lewis, drum, any in california, germany, hawaii, alaska, all over riley.

Good for you...Here....you want a cookie?