ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Netflix install knew account already (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315734)

Hydrae 06-08-2018 12:45 PM

Netflix install knew account already

My son has a Netflix account. Yesterday he changed it so that it could be seen on two screens at once. I then downloaded Netflix on my phone and when I opened the app it already showed the profiles from his account. How the hell did it know what account and profiles to show to me?

One possibility is that he did the update on my PC where I am logged in to Google. I am also logged into Google on my phone. Either way, this is very odd and a bit disconcerting.

listopencil 06-08-2018 01:28 PM

Didn't you have to log in to open the app?

Hydrae 06-08-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 13586476)
Didn't you have to log in to open the app?

No, that is the scary part IMO.

Fish 06-08-2018 02:04 PM

Netflix had to have been previously configured on the phone.

BWillie 06-08-2018 02:29 PM

Aliens, IMO.

ModSocks 06-08-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13586526)

Or the email used on the phone for the googleplay account when the app was downloaded is the same email associated with the Netflix account.

Hydrae 06-08-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13586526)

Nope, never installed before.

Hydrae 06-08-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13586575)
Or the email used on the phone for the googleplay account when the app was downloaded is the same email associated with the Netflix account.

No, the google play account on the phone is my e-mail. My son does not use that e-mail.

The only real tie that I can think of is the use of Chrome (logged into my Google account) on the PC and of course being logged into that same account on my phone. But I know of no actual tie between Google and Netflix to account for this.

Fish 06-08-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13586575)

Nah. Google Play and Netflix don't share credentials like that.

Fish 06-08-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 13586591)
Nope, never installed before.

I'm guessing maybe your son borrowed your phone and installed it or something. There's really no other explanation. It's not possible for an individual app like Netflix to access login credentials from other devices.

EDIT: I was wrong, Netflix has now allowed Google Smart Lock to store user credentials in Android. So if you used a browser on your phone to access and log in to the Netflix website, Google Smart Lock probably saved those credentials.

BigRedChief 06-08-2018 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13586610)
I'm guessing maybe your son borrowed your phone and installed it or something. There's really no other explanation. It's not possible for an individual app like Netflix to access login credentials from other devices.

EDIT: I was wrong, Netflix has now allowed Google Smart Lock to store user credentials in Android. So if you used a browser on your phone to access and log in to the Netflix website, Google Smart Lock probably saved those credentials.

all of these companies are doing more with your data than they are saying publicly. I know this as fact.

There is nothing you can do at this point. Machine learning, A.I., big data are all getting cheaper and more mainstreamed. Most of, if not all are just trying to target you with ads. Some are selling your data but it’s to others who want to show you targeted specific ads.

You can’t live off the grid. Just embrace the horror.

SAUTO 06-08-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13586821)
all of these companies are doing more with your data than they are saying publicly. I know this as fact.

There is nothing you can do at this point. Machine learning, A.I., big data are all getting cheaper and more mainstreamed. Most of, if not all are just trying to target you with ads. Some are selling your data but it’s to others who want to show you targeted specific ads.

And you've made sure we know in 3 years we are going to be at 90 percent unemployment and have a universal salary. A I runs everything :rolleyes:

BigRedChief 06-08-2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13586848)
And you've made sure we know in 3 years we are going to be at 90 percent unemployment and have a universal salary. A I runs everything :rolleyes:

5 years 30% less jobs. You don’t want to hear the truth, stick your head in the sand.

Fish 06-08-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Well yeah, but that's a different subject. I'm speaking specifically about how mobile app authentication works via API access and such.

BlackOp 06-08-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Just wait until an employer can access/purchase your entire internet history...that's when things get fun.

I remember how horrified I was when I first got a smart phone...and it was linked to my email account. I was like "this is the end of privacy as we know it". I tried for as long as possible to keep them separate...but you just cant do business anymore without it. It's a honey trap...was always meant to be.