ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Boxed wine, what are your thoughts? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313412)

Fire Me Boy! 01-24-2018 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 13379337)
The nice thing about those boxed wines is that there is a tap or spout, if you will. It keeps the wine fresh. My wife drinks reds and never refrigerates hers. Of course, hers doesn't last two weeks. ;)

Right. Because the bags are vacuum sealed, they can't oxidize. Boxes say they'll last 4 weeks or longer.

HemiEd 01-24-2018 07:56 AM

Quote:

The nice thing about those boxed wines is that there is a tap or spout, if you will. It keeps the wine fresh. My wife drinks reds and never refrigerates hers. Of course, hers doesn't last two weeks. ;)

Cool, I will try some. Good thread Firemeboy!

I don't refrigerate my wine either and when I open a bottle, it is hard not to drink the whole thing but I do like to have a glass of cab before bed time.

I am kind of committed to the bottle thing as I built what I call a hillbilly wine cellar (closet with a window unit) that has shelving for about 450 bottles. I try and drink the stuff that is 6 to 7 years old.

Lzen 01-24-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13379349)
Cool, I may try some.

I don't refrigerate my wine either and when I open a bottle, it is hard not to drink the whole thing but I do like to have a glass of cab before bed time.

I am kind of committed to the bottle thing as I built what I call a hillbilly wine cellar (closet with a window unit) that has shelving for about 450 bottles. I try and drink the stuff that is 6 to 7 years old.

Oh yeah, you can do both. My wife drinks the box wine regularly but she also has a wine rack.

Fire Me Boy! 01-24-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 13379351)
Oh yeah, you can do both. My wife drinks the box wine regularly but she also has a wine rack.

Same here. I used to have a 40-bottle wine fridge with two cooling settings for reds vs. whites, but a few weeks ago the cooling units went tits up (again), and we junked it. Just have a rack now, but I have quite a few bottles that are aging - four vintage ports from 1998 and 2000, and several other Burgundy and Côtes du Rhônes.

HemiEd 01-24-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks, I am going to check it out when I get into town today. :thumb:

HemiEd 01-24-2018 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13379364)
Same here. I used to have a 40-bottle wine fridge with two cooling settings for reds vs. whites, but a few weeks ago the cooling units went tits up (again), and we junked it. Just have a rack now, but I have quite a few bottles that are aging - four vintage ports from 1998 and 2000, and several other Burgundy and Côtes du Rhônes.

I have had the same experience with those wine fridges. Cheaply made, even if they aren't cheap.

I found that those small little window unit air conditioners are pretty cheap and mine runs about 8 months a year keeping the temp below 60 degrees. It won't get it down to 50, but 60 has been ok.

Fire Me Boy! 01-24-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13379367)
I have had the same experience with those wine fridges. Cheaply made, even if they aren't cheap.

I found that those small little window unit air conditioners are pretty cheap and mine runs about 8 months a year keeping the temp below 60 degrees. It won't get it down to 50, but 60 has been ok.

It's an interesting idea. Believe it or not, I don't have a closet with an outside wall...

KCUnited 01-24-2018 09:35 AM

I don't know anything about storing wine, but I use a thermostat control on a dorm fridge for storing/fermenting beer. I keep my bottles upright though. It cost around $70.

siberian khatru 01-24-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13379320)

How do you store it for those two weeks?

Do you refrigerate it?

What these guys said:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13379343)
Right. Because the bags are vacuum sealed, they can't oxidize. Boxes say they'll last 4 weeks or longer.

HemiEd 01-24-2018 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13379438)
It's an interesting idea. Believe it or not, I don't have a closet with an outside wall...

I didn't either, so I made one in the front of my garage/shop. :D This picture was early in the project, hadn't made the main shelves yet. These end shelves are for non Cabs, my main shelves are strictly for cabs

Just picked up a box of Bota Cab, will check it out tonight. Thanks for the tip.

BWillie 01-24-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 13376285)
Tastes just as good as a $100 bottle....

like crap.

Honestly this is true. I like red wine though, so I don't know how much of that is in boxed wine but they did a study and they had "expert" wine tasters try Wine A which was a cheap $10 wine but they just put it in a $200 well known wine bottle. Then they switched the $200 wine into the Wine B's bottle. All of them indicated they liked the $10 wine better (that they thought was $200 wine).

You don't need to pay an arm and a leg to get good wine.

el borracho 01-24-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Pictures of your wife’s rack?

Fire Me Boy! 01-24-2018 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 13379795)
Pictures of your wife’s rack?

ROFL

Stewie 01-24-2018 02:32 PM

Wine is probably the most subjective of all foods. What I like is most likely very different than what you like.

Read about the multi-multi-million dollar wine bamboozle that lasted for years. Even experts were fooled thinking they were drinking great wine and loved it. It turns out they were fooled by a fake label with average wine in the bottle. It would still be going on except the mastermind got greedy and claimed he had several bottles of a very rare wine. Someone was suspicious, bought a bottle of the wine and figured out what he was doing. Game over.

It's easier to print labels than counterfeit money. Lots of psychology when it comes to someone's palate and he made millions. That's also why olive oil tasting is always done in cobalt blue cups. People think the greenest extra virgin olive oil is the best, until they can't see the color. Then the game changes considerably.

ntexascardfan 01-24-2018 03:50 PM

Fisheye is the best boxed wine.

Get their merlot. Good stuff.