ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Offseason Hypothetical BS: Leon Sandcastle vs. 1st Round QB (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269671)

DaFace 02-04-2013 11:24 AM

Offseason Hypothetical BS: Leon Sandcastle vs. 1st Round QB

The Leon Sandcastle commercial was funny, but actually made me wonder how far the ChiefsPlanet QB love goes. (Mostly, I'm just curious if there's ANYTHING that would be preferable to the masses than taking a QB at #1 this year.)

Let's say that we had the choice of drafting Leon Sandcastle (at age 22) or whatever QB in this draft you are in the mood for with pick #1. Assume you have perfect information about Sandcastle and are GUARANTEED that he will be a Hall of Famer.

Who is more valuable to your team: a HOF cornerback (and part-time kick returner/WR/RB), or a QB that COULD turn out to be anything from a HOFer to a total bust?

HemiEd 02-04-2013 11:33 AM

4.2 40 is pretty tempting, and with that fro, he probably will be well protected inside the helmet thus keeping him on the field.

Brooklyn 02-04-2013 11:34 AM

if the 2 Super Bowl championships come along with him, 100% guaranteed, yeah, I'd be down. Also might be kinda cool to rekindle that two sport player (as Deion was) in KC, if that was part of the package.

Old Dog 02-04-2013 11:37 AM

I really want a QB, but give me the sure thing.

Deberg_1990 02-04-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9377496)
Who is more valuable to your team: a HOF cornerback (and part-time kick returner/WR/RB), or a QB that COULD turn out to be anything from a HOFer to a total bust?

Ill just say this, even a solid to decent 1st round QB who isnt a HOF'er holds a ton of value.

Bledsoe, Kerry Collins, McNabb, Steve McNair, (Maybe Matt Ryan),

All these guys turned programs around.

Bowser 02-04-2013 11:39 AM

No "trade down to get more picks" option? CP moran idiot fail.

WhiteWhale 02-04-2013 01:04 PM

What a silly question.

Ask yourself... was the team that drafted the real Leon Sandcastle any better for having done so?

After 4 losing seasons in 5 years in Atlanta Leon bailed out. There was no chance to resign. He knew what CB's bring and he knew you needed a cast for him to win championships... so he went out and joined the best teams in the NFL.

So even if we assume he wins those SB's, we should probably mirror Leon's career and assume he'd be doing it for a team that was smart enough to get a QB.

So how about we draft a QB, mold him into a star, and then sign Leon after he bails on the shitty team that drafted him. :D

BlackHelicopters 02-04-2013 06:02 PM

Does Leon have a do- rag?

JoeyChuckles 02-04-2013 06:10 PM

What did he get on his Wonderlich?

DaFace 02-04-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9377700)
What a silly question.

Ask yourself... was the team that drafted the real Leon Sandcastle any better for having done so?

After 4 losing seasons in 5 years in Atlanta Leon bailed out. There was no chance to resign. He knew what CB's bring and he knew you needed a cast for him to win championships... so he went out and joined the best teams in the NFL.

So even if we assume he wins those SB's, we should probably mirror Leon's career and assume he'd be doing it for a team that was smart enough to get a QB.

So how about we draft a QB, mold him into a star, and then sign Leon after he bails on the shitty team that drafted him. :D

It's a silly question if you assume that the QB will pan out. I think it's at least an interesting thing to think about because it forces you to weigh the relative values of the positions.

The numbers guy in me thinks of it as a question of expected value. If you rate the value of a solid QB and a solid CB on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd probably say QB is a 10 and CB is a 6. In this case, we're assuming that the CB has a 100% probability of panning out, and the QB only has a 50% probability of panning out. Therefore, the CB in this case would be worth 6 points, and the QB would be worth 5.

Of course, I'm just making the numbers up, which is where the debate lies. And of course, this is all a non-realistic scenario anyway, but hey - it's the offseason.

Molitoth 02-04-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9377700)
What a silly question.

effing nailed it.