ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

duncan_idaho 12-13-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9205241)
I like to think this just means that James Shields has learned some things over the course of his career that bode well for his future.

Basically, yes. Learning something/adjusting/change in approach all mean the same thing.

He went from being primarily a 4-seam, two-seam fastball guy who mixed in changeups to being a guy who throws his 4-seam fastball and changeup at nearly identical rates, and uses his breaking pitches much more than previously.

jbwm89 12-13-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9205259)
Basically, yes. Learning something/adjusting/change in approach all mean the same thing.

He went from being primarily a 4-seam, two-seam fastball guy who mixed in changeups to being a guy who throws his 4-seam fastball and changeup at nearly identical rates, and uses his breaking pitches much more than previously.

Exactly, he changed his approach. Sometimes pitchers have terrible statistics their first few seasons before figuring it out, that is still weighted in the career ERA. I don't think there is a more useless stat than career era if it isn't weighted towards what the pitcher has done recently.

Greinke: 3.77 Career ERA
Shields: 3.89 Career ERA
Dickey: 3.98 Career ERA

RockChalk 12-13-2012 03:42 PM

If Rany was the baseball savant he carries himself to be, he'd be in an MLB Front Office right now. Not treating people's skin.

Don't get me wrong...I'm sure he's a great Dermatologist, but given his obsession with baseball, you know he'd kill to be working in the bigs. If MLB people respected his opinions, he would have been offered a position at some point along the way.

alnorth 12-13-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 9205550)
If Rany was the baseball savant he carries himself to be, he'd be in an MLB Front Office right now. Not treating people's skin.

Don't get me wrong...I'm sure he's a great Dermatologist, but given his obsession with baseball, you know he'd kill to be working in the bigs. If MLB people respected his opinions, he would have been offered a position at some point along the way.

His day job pays a hell of a lot more than some faceless analyst role. His opinions would become proprietary trade secret, he'd have to go dark and offer his insights and opinions to the public a lot less. With his blog, he's a lot more high-profile and well-known than he would be working for anyone.

jbwm89 12-13-2012 03:46 PM

I don't have any problems with Rany, guy just gives his honest opinion and its an educated one. He is just another blogger though, people treat his blogs like the baseball bible. Just because the team and Rany don't agree doesn't mean we are screwed.

DeezNutz 12-13-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbwm89 (Post 9205559)
I don't have any problems with Rany, guy just gives his honest opinion and its an educated one. He is just another blogger though, people treat his blogs like the baseball bible. Just because the team and Rany don't agree doesn't mean we are screwed.

Not accurate.

jbwm89 12-13-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9205566)
Not accurate.

I meant he isn't a club official or something, he obviously has more background than a lot of bloggers. Doesn't change the fact that he writes a baseball blog about his opinions, and he isn't infallible. We shouldn't beat him up when he is wrong or freak out when the team and him don't agree on something.

Cephalic Trauma 12-13-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9205556)
His day job pays a hell of a lot more than some faceless analyst role. His opinions would become proprietary trade secret, he'd have to go dark and offer his insights and opinions to the public a lot less. With his blog, he's a lot more high-profile and well-known than he would be working for anyone.

This. Derm in a big city like Chicago is second only to plastics in LA in terms of desirability in his profession.

He can see tons of patients, prescribe expensive medications (or inexpensive, doesn't matter because of sheer volume), perform expensive procedures, etc etc and not have to spend too much time with pts.

Derm is $$$$. That's why it's extremely hard to get into.

ShowtimeSBMVP 12-13-2012 04:43 PM

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: #Cubs in serious discussions with Anibal Sanchez. Deal could be 5 years/$75 million. #Tigers still a threat.

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale
Breaking: The Chicago #Cubs have just signed Anibal Sanchez.

Shogun 12-13-2012 04:44 PM

Glad hes out of the division

DeezNutz 12-13-2012 04:44 PM

5 for 90 would have done it for the Royals. No chance he turns down that kind of coin.

mr. tegu 12-13-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9205723)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: #Cubs in serious discussions with Anibal Sanchez. Deal could be 5 years/$75 million. #Tigers still a threat.

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale
Breaking: The Chicago #Cubs have just signed Anibal Sanchez.

Suck it Tigers!

Shogun 12-13-2012 04:53 PM

And the rangers window.............back................GONE

O.city 12-13-2012 04:55 PM

The Hamilton deal made me think of something. When Trouts deal comes up, are they going to be able to resign him?

Maybe thats who Glass plans on putting in RF in a year or two?

Shogun 12-13-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9205759)
The Hamilton deal made me think of something. When Trouts deal comes up, are they going to be able to resign him?

Maybe thats who Glass plans on putting in RF in a year or two?

This is the Royals were talking about. Far more likely to deal Pujols/Hamilton than Trout if he can keep getting better imho.