ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mellinger | Ex-GM Peterson ‘saddened’ by Chiefs’ situation (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266932)

DaneMcCloud 11-21-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9140549)
I was, I could see he was just too stubborn to get over the hump.

And that would be the QB hump. Up till 98 I was on board though

To me, it was unthinkable. I remember listening to press conference in my office at Paramount on computer speakers thinking "What the **** now?".

Unfortunately, the "now" was Gunther Cunningham.

DeezNutz 11-21-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9140531)
No one that I knew of was calling for Marty's head, even after the 1998 season.

Saying that he should have left in '98 is speaking in hindsight, no question. But the Gunther hiring and firing was pathetic, and Vermeil + Carl were incredibly toxic and destructive.

If '98 wasn't the year, it sure as hell was when Gun was fired, but that would have required proactive ownership.

Bowser 11-21-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9140554)
To me, it was unthinkable. I remember listening to press conference in my office at Paramount on computer speakers thinking "What the **** now?".

Unfortunately, the "now" was Gunther Cunningham.

I remember the very first thing he said was along the lines of "There is no problem in my marriage with my wife". Probably shouldn't have led with that. That's akin to vailpass saying "I'm not a racist, BUT...."

DaneMcCloud 11-21-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9140556)
Saying that he should have left in '98 is speaking in hindsight, no question. But the Gunther hiring and firing was pathetic, and Vermeil + Carl were incredibly toxic and destructive.

If '98 wasn't the year, it sure as hell was when Gun was fired, but that would have required proactive ownership.

I've voiced my displeasure and disgust over the Vemeil years, so there's no reason for me to go there. But with that said, I understand why he stayed after Marty left. He'd only hired one coach during his tenure to that point, so I'm sure he felt he could keep it going.

I also understand why he fired Gunther when Vermeil, his best friend and mentor, decided he wanted to coach again. But the bottom line, to me, is that Carl should have left when Vermeil called it quits.

He seriously tarnished his reputation by not leaving and hiring Herm. If he had left after the 2005, I'm sure his tenure would be looked upon far more favorably.

BossChief 11-21-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9140527)
You are probably too young to remember but before Carl arrived, Kansas City didn't give two shits about the Chiefs, let alone football in general.

They were blacked out for years on end. No one went to the stadium. They went 17 years between playoff appearance, then fired the coach that got them there. They were a national and local joke.

Peterson immediately gave creditability to the Chiefs, not only nationally but more importantly, locally. He hired Marty Schottenheimer, drafted Thomas and began not only building a very good team but within a year, made Arrowhead THE Kansas City destination.

All of the sudden, the Chiefs had a weekly TV show. Radio shows popped up all over town. The Chiefs re-energized the city.

It was an extremely exciting time. People lived and died with the Chiefs. If they won, everyone was happy and ecstatic on Mondays. If they loss, there was an air of depression that could be felt citywide.

No one ever discussed Carl being a failure in Year Four.

I was barely young enough to latch on during the last couple years before Carl got there and the team was on the back of Okoye...but I was only around 10 years old at the time. I totally agree that the first 5 or 6 years of Carl were really good, but IMO he always valued the quick fix over the long term one and that left the team always on the cusp, but never able to get over the hump.

I also think that the majority of the credit for those years should go to Marty, too. Look at what happened to the team once he left town...
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9140547)
LMAO. No shit. People weren't flying banners over Arrowhead after the Chiefs advanced to the AFC Championship Game?

Carl and Marty literally built the Arrowhead experience, and it's amazing the amount of revisionist history that has vilified every aspect of Peterson's tenure. Yes, the end was really bad. But that's generally how long-term relationships end.

The beginning, though, was nothing short of fantastic, and it's exactly what the organization and city needed.

If Carl would have gotten Marty a franchise level quarterback, the team could have won championships IMO. Look at what happened in the flicker of time we had Joe and Allen.

Like I said earlier though, Carl deserves all the credit for getting a legit coach like Marty just like he deserves the grief for his failures.

You guys know this better than I do, who was the shot caller on the whole Grbac/Gannon deal?

IMO that team would have won some really big games if we had went with Gannon at that point in time and from my recollection it was Carl that made that call because of the money he paid to Elvis.

Sound familiar?

notorious 11-21-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9140143)
If Peterson would've drafted Rodgers, we'd be sitting on potentially 2 Super Bowls at this point. That makes me absolutely sick.

Nope.

Herm Edwards. That coaching staff would have destroyed his potential.

DeezNutz 11-21-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9140586)
If Carl would have gotten Marty a franchise level quarterback, the team could have won championships IMO.

There's no question. But look back over the drafts during this time period and you'll see why some people today claim that QBs are incredibly risky to draft. There were a shit ton of busts. Teams weren't astute at drafting and developing, and the college game was different, too.

Football has evolved.

Ultimately, Carl couldn't finish the job. He was really ****ing good, exactly what the city/team needed at the time, but he wasn't great. We desperately need to find great now, though, since Pioli has ****ed the shit out of the franchise and city.

Reerun_KC 11-21-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9140602)
Nope.

This...

NO way Rodgers wins shit in KC... He would be sacking groceries or having anal sex for cash or drugs by now...

DeezNutz 11-21-2012 10:15 PM

Tony Dungy and Herm are the same person, and both are smart enough to leave ultra-talented QBs alone.

DaneMcCloud 11-21-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9140611)
Tony Dungy and Herm are the same person, and both are smart enough to leave ultra-talented QBs alone.

I've always felt that Tony Dungy was the most overrated coach of that generation. He couldn't get it done in Tampa with an amazing defense, good running game and receivers.

He was supposedly a defensive guru but his defenses were crap in Indy. The only reason they won was because of Manning.

BossChief 11-21-2012 10:34 PM

I'm not a Herm fan, but the guy went to the playoffs every year his quarterback stayed healthy...he even won some playoff games once he got in the tournament and was a couple missed FGs away from a serious run.

To say that he would have ruined Aaron Rodgers is probably false, but one will never know.

Remember, when Trent went down that Herm team made the playoffs with Huard...no way Rodgers would have been worse.

the Talking Can 11-21-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9140602)
Nope.

you can't ruin a great QB

his talent would have been obvious....

DaWolf 11-21-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9140079)
Now, team and town would settle for a fun atmosphere and competitive team. The last man to oversee a run like that watches from a distance.

No, I won't. And **** Mellinger for making such a dumb and insulting statement, as if we are some dumb sheep fans who just want a fun time and some more 9-7 seasons. **** that. **** Mellinger for saying that. **** Carl because what is happening now does not excuse his fail, and **** Pioli...

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-22-2012 12:52 PM

Carl wasn't the complete asshat that Pioli is, but he DID create his own and very special brand of FAIL and suck.

Rausch 11-22-2012 01:00 PM

The fact he's even in the position to be asked for a comment like this means Chiefs = complete fail...