ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life My virtual run across America, and a business idea. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=220713)

Rain Man 05-29-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8644593)
Making good time.
I'm @ 1857 right now and should hit halfway (2031.5) sometime around the 3rd week of July.

So is that roughly central Kansas?

Old Dog 05-29-2012 09:05 AM

Yep, roughly 150 miles to Colorado.

Rain Man 05-29-2012 09:25 AM

I think rageeumr is just about to hit the coast. For some glitchy reason I frequently get updates that he passed me even though he's ahead of me, and his last one was at 3,848 miles.

Old Dog 06-07-2012 06:04 PM

Flippin' site has been down for a week now.

Rain Man 06-07-2012 06:35 PM

Yeah, I'd been meaning to see if you had the problem too or if it's just me. This morning I resorted to writing my miles down by hand. It seems to go down frequently, but never for this long. I hope it comes back up soon.

Old Dog 06-07-2012 06:41 PM

Yeah, I have been keeping my miles on a spreadsheet as well. The first time it went down after I started I made a by month spreadsheet just in case. I have also made note of each state line.
I'm addicted to it and I blame YOU Mr Rain Man (Thank You, I'm in a hell of a lot better shape than I was when I started)

Rain Man 06-07-2012 06:44 PM

Y'know, I'm six months from finishing and I'm not sure what I'm going to do after that. I don't really want to start it again since there's only one route, and I experimented a while back to see if I could put in negative numbers and run it backwards, and it won't let me do that. I wish they had another route.

Old Dog 06-07-2012 06:47 PM

Ditto (well, other than that whole 6 months thing....I've probably got another 18 months to 2 years). I E-mailed them about a year ago and asked if there was any possibility of another route and never got a reply.
I'm sure there's another site somewhere similar. I'll have to try to find one. Hell, at this point I would pay for another site.

Rain Man 06-07-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8666269)
Ditto (well, other than that whole 6 months thing....I've probably got another 18 months to 2 years). I E-mailed them about a year ago and asked if there was any possibility of another route and never got a reply.
I'm sure there's another site somewhere similar. I'll have to try to find one. Hell, at this point I would pay for another site.

Want to invest with me in building one?

Funny thing is, I just had dinner with a friend who started using it when she saw my updates on Facebook. Her daughter is also starting to use it as a fundraising tool, getting pledges for every mile. That use is something that I was thinking about as a potential moneymaker.

rageeumr 06-07-2012 08:28 PM

I missed when this thread was bumped last week. I think I'm fairly close to being done, but obviously I haven't been able to enter any mileage. I have my half Ironman on Sunday, and I think the 70.3 (I guess the swim doesn't count, so 69.1) will probably put me over the top if I'm not already there.

Have you guys noticed that the site has been in various states of "downness"? Like right now I get an immediate error saying the site isn't available. Sometimes it seems to time out after a while. Earlier this week I could get onto the site, but it would time out when I tried to log in. Weird.

Old Dog 06-08-2012 04:31 PM

The site is back up PBJ

Old Dog 06-08-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8666349)

I would probably be little to no help where CPU type stuff is concerned, but I would certainly be willing to listen to any ideas and invest time and money to do what I could.

Old Dog 06-08-2012 04:38 PM

It would appear that at 1882.1 I just tripped and fell off of the road or something.

-King- 06-08-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8666349)

Funny thing is, I just had dinner with a friend who started using it when she saw my updates on Facebook. Her daughter is also starting to use it as a fundraising tool, getting pledges for every mile. That use is something that I was thinking about as a potential moneymaker.

Wow, I was actually thinking the same thing. Told my sister about it and then totally forgot. But it would be a good idea for a site with multiple customizable routes so they can take routes that pass through their favorite cities and what not. Also instead of some lame photo, it would be cool if the map were interactive so when you reach a city, you can explore it a bit kind of like using Google Street.

Don't even know how to begin starting that, so I guess that's why I forgot about it the first time.

Rain Man 06-08-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8668055)
Wow, I was actually thinking the same thing. Told my sister about it and then totally forgot. But it would be a good idea for a site with multiple customizable routes so they can take routes that pass through their favorite cities and what not. Also instead of some lame photo, it would be cool if the map were interactive so when you reach a city, you can explore it a bit kind of like using Google Street.

Don't even know how to begin starting that, so I guess that's why I forgot about it the first time.

Yeah, exactly. I think you could market it as a fundraising tool.

Dibs on the idea unless you want to partner on it.