ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics The Android Tablet Watch Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243749)

DaFace 04-10-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7551285)
HP has a WebOS tab coming soon. It's the one I'm waiting on. Had a thread about it but it died quickly.

I'll be curious to see what happens with it. From what I've heard anyway, WebOS is pretty solid, but the lack of outside development for it seems like it'd be a pretty big issue.

SLAG 04-10-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7550684)
Is that running Honeycomb or Froyo?

Its running froyo but there are some alpha honeycomb ports as well as gingerbread .. we will see if Samsung will offer official releases or if the community will have to step up to bat on that...

Either way is a good little tab with decent hardware for the price

Sent via tapatalk from the EVO 4G

WilliamTheIrish 04-12-2011 06:23 AM

Slightly off topic:

Slag,

when you had a Palm Pre did you root it? If so how did it work and how difficult was it to do?

SLAG 04-12-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7556339)
Slightly off topic:

Slag,

when you had a Palm Pre did you root it? If so how did it work and how difficult was it to do?

I did root it... and it is pretty easy here is a good place to start:

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...ccessing_Linux

And slightly back on topic-

The GalaxyTab went back yesterday as it seems the sprint Xoom is about to drop so i'm going to wait for that

DaFace 04-19-2011 03:38 PM

Looks like the Eee Pad may be delayed a bit. Not because of any tech issues this time, but because they can't keep up with demand overseas. :sulk:

http://www.pdfdevices.com/asus-eee-p...ional-testing/

stlchiefs 04-19-2011 08:12 PM

What's the new launch date looking like? I've been reading these threads recently as my wife has been begging for an iPad. I think they're overpriced and want to actually research the best tablet, rather than just buy the name everyone talks about. If you had to buy now, what would you purchase or is there something getting released soon you'd wait for?

dirk digler 04-19-2011 08:19 PM

This thread sucks :harumph:

DaFace 04-19-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlchiefs (Post 7577911)
What's the new launch date looking like? I've been reading these threads recently as my wife has been begging for an iPad. I think they're overpriced and want to actually research the best tablet, rather than just buy the name everyone talks about. If you had to buy now, what would you purchase or is there something getting released soon you'd wait for?

I'm personally holding out for the Eee Pad, but it'll be at least a couple months it sounds like.

DaFace 04-19-2011 08:24 PM

Looks like ASUS is also working on a variant called the Eee Pad Slider (the other is the Transformer) with a built-in slide-out keyboard. Here's a good resource with info about it:

http://www.asuseeepad.net/eee-pad-slider.php

http://www.asuseeepad.net/eee-pad-sl...pad-slider.jpg

stlchiefs 04-19-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7550095)

Review from BB website. DaFace, can you confirm the bolded part at the end and if true, why continue to wait for the Asus for an unknown number of months still? The review makes it sounds like it's pretty much the same tablet.

Nvidia Tegra 2 is going to become the standard cpu to power all tablets for some time to come. 1 GB RAM is currently the highest amount in any tablet as well. In terms of hardware, Iconia does everything that Xoom does, with arguably better software (SD and Flash support out of the box). Honeycomb, or Android 3.0, was designed specifically with tablets in mind. Without ranting off of every single spec users may see on Best Buy's webpage above, here are a couple of questions that are not addressed yet.
1. True multi-touch. There are some tablets with similar specs (e.g. eLocity A7) out there with capacitive screens that claim to be "multi-touch" when in fact they only support "1+1 touch", which is used for pinching and zooming only. 1+1 touch has very little practical uses as far as gaming and other more advanced apps are concerned. Acer Iconia has true multi-touch.
2. Access to Android Market. Some tablets with similar specs (e.g. Viewsonic g Tablet) do not come with ready access to Android Market. Unfortunately this is more of a problem with the Android platform overall. But this is one of the trade-offs you get choosing between iOS (iPad) and Android-based tabs: uniform controlled experience versus customization.
3. Regular LCD screen. Capacitive screens for the most part fall in to two camps. One camp uses IPS (in-plane switching) LCD (e.g. iPad 2 and Asus Eee Pad Transformer), which gives greater viewing angles (~178 degrees) and more vibrant pictures. The other uses just regular LCD for about 160 degrees viewing angle. Acer Iconia uses the latter rather than the IPS LCD. Chalk this one up as a minor con.
4. Lastly, no word yet on whether or not it is possible to root Acer Iconia so that if you aren't happy with the firmware, you might very well be stuck with it and are at the manufacturer's mercy.
And for those who are confused by the A500's twin, W500, the ONLY difference is that A500 uses Android, and W500 uses Windows 7. So if you would rather have a Windows 7 based version of this tablet, you do have a choice. Maybe not through Best Buy though.
Finally, for comparison purposes, Asus EeePad Transformer is basically identical to Acer Iconia in terms of hardware. The only difference in between the two are type of LCD screen, and battery life. EeePad Transformer's battery life is estimated to be somewhere around 9.5 hours, longer if keyboard docking station's used. Acer Iconia's top range is somewhere around 8 hours.
What's great about it: Customization, powerful hardware, front-and-back cameras, price and value.
What's not so great: 160 viewing angle, battery life (8 hours)

DaFace 04-20-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlchiefs (Post 7578180)
Review from BB website. DaFace, can you confirm the bolded part at the end and if true, why continue to wait for the Asus for an unknown number of months still? The review makes it sounds like it's pretty much the same tablet.

Honestly, I haven't dug into a lot of comparisons thus far, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're using largely the same hardware. Honestly, my main preference for the ASUS is a bit of fanboism.

I've used ASUS motherboards for nearly a decade and have always loved them. My wife owns an ASUS laptop. I just like the quality of their work. Acer's always been kind of meh to me, but I couldn't tell you why.

If you're not worried about the battery life and the dock, you're probably fine either way.

The_Doctor10 04-20-2011 04:45 PM

I know its not android, but the lack of love for the blackberry playbook is really astonishing. Not just here, but in general.

DaFace 04-20-2011 04:47 PM

Digging into the stats a bit, they look extremely similar. Here are the few differences I noticed:

1. Battery life: 8 hours (Acer) vs. 9.5 hours (ASUS)
2. Weight: 1.7 lbs (Acer) vs. 1.5 lbs (ASUS)
3. Front Camera Resolution: 2M (Acer) vs. 1.2M (ASUS)

Aside from that (and the dock feature), they're probably about the same.

stlchiefs 04-20-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7579931)
Digging into the stats a bit, they look extremely similar. Here are the few differences I noticed:

1. Battery life: 8 hours (Acer) vs. 9.5 hours (ASUS)
2. Weight: 1.7 lbs (Acer) vs. 1.5 lbs (ASUS)
3. Front Camera Resolution: 2M (Acer) vs. 1.2M (ASUS)

Aside from that (and the dock feature), they're probably about the same.

So does the Acer not have docking functionality?

DaFace 04-20-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unleash_the_Phury (Post 7579923)
I know its not android, but the lack of love for the blackberry playbook is really astonishing. Not just here, but in general.

It'll be interesting to see how it does. The fact that it can run Android apps makes it kind of a weird player in the market, but we'll see what happens.