ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

alnorth 12-11-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9199749)
Side note on Shields:

I was looking at his PitchFx data to try and quantify the claims that he changed his approach after 2010. The difference was pretty astounding. He has always been a fastball/change heavy pitcher, but...

From 2010 to 2011/12, Shields drastically reduces the use of his two-seam fastball and cutter by about 60 percent while ramping up his curve and slider. As a result, his harder offerings - which got blistered in 2010 - become more effective.

It's not unusual for a guy around 30 to change his approach, but that's pretty drastic.

Oh, and his average fastball velocity has actually ticked up since he changed this approach. So even though he just turned 31, that's trending positively (unusual for pitchers this age).

From what I read, Shields probably has one of the best changeups in the game, and he relies on it heavily. That might explain some of his durability.

sedated 12-11-2012 12:24 PM

Trade analysis from Deadspin:
http://deadspin.com/5967520/the-roya...m-with-windows

Quote:

In November of 2007, the Rays were on the edge of contention, though not everyone knew it: their regular-season record (like the 2012 Royals') didn't suggest a team about to take the next step. Those Rays, like the current Royals, had hitters: what they needed was pitching and defense. And so they dealt from a position of strength to address a weakness, trading Delmon Young and Brendan Harris (and Jason Pridie) to the Twins for Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett (and Eduardo Morlan). Young, like Myers, had been the top prospect in baseball as a projected right fielder, and he'd finished second in AL Rookie of the Year voting that season. Also like Myers, he'd just turned 22.
Quote:

Joe Sheehan, taking Tampa Bay's side, wrote this:

"With this deal, the Rays have shifted from collecting talent to forming it into a baseball team, and this trade shows how seriously they take the process. Trading a player with the perceived value of Young is never easy, but with it they've leveraged a gap between that perceived value and what he actually is to make their team better."
Quote:

as R.J. Anderson pointed out recently, it's somewhat worrisome that Myers is one of the only prospects of his caliber to be traded before ever taking the field for the team that drafted him.
Quote:

If Myers is the next Young—consensus top prospect turned replacement-level player—then the Royals will have out-Raysed the Rays, trading a flawed young player at the peak of his value, when his potential still seemed likely to pan out.

kstater 12-11-2012 12:26 PM

Another year, joy.
Just saw the trade, double joy.

DM is all-in on it. I guess I can be excited.

KC_Connection 12-11-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9199767)
From what I read, Shields probably has one of the best changeups in the game, and he relies on it heavily. That might explain some of his durability.

It's fantastic. He's made even Bautista look bad on it on occasion.

DeepSouth 12-11-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 9199762)
Myers, as mentioned, was named Minor League Player of the Year. In the past 20 years, 14 position players won the same award. Here are their names:

1992: Tim Salmon
1993: Manny Ramirez
1994: Derek Jeter
1995: Andruw Jones
1996: Andruw Jones
1997: Paul Konerko
1998: Eric Chavez
2002: Rocco Baldelli
2003: Joe Mauer
2005: Delmon Young
2006: Alex Gordon
2007: Jay Bruce
2008: Matt Wieters
2009: Jason Heyward
2011: Mike Trout

I love Alex Gordon. But he's on this list for 2006. I watched him play AAA ball for Omaha in 2010 because he sucked so bad they sent him back down. He did not bat up to his expectations until 2011. Would you want to wait five years for Myers? I'm all for taking a proven MLB pitcher now for a "should be a star" outfielder.

BigCatDaddy 12-11-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9199796)
It's fantastic. He's made even Bautista look bad on it on occasion.

Even Bautista???????? Holy shit!

KC_Connection 12-11-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9199801)
Even Bautista???????? Holy shit!

Yes, you might know him as the 2nd best hitter in baseball over the last three seasons behind Miguel Cabrera. Doesn't look bad at the plate too often, but that's what Shields does to hitters with that pitch.

KC_Connection 12-11-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9199504)
KC Connection hits on the head: Player A is Jay Bruce.

I was looking at the list of BA POTY over the past 20 years, and trying to break them into categories (Superstar/First division/injury bust/bust/too early to tell) and Jay Bruce was one that was hard to slot.

So I looked at his minor league numbers the year he was named POTY, and was shocked at the similarities.

If I were forced to lay a bet on it, I'd guess Myers' major league numbers look a LOT like Bruce's - except with a few less HRs (playing in the Trop for 81 games vs. playing in that bandbox in Cincinnati).

I started asking myself... If I were a Reds fan, and Cincy had traded Bruce for two years of (INSERT SOMEONE SIMILAR TO JAMES SHIELDS) before the 2008 season, how would I feel about it now (assuming that guy pitched well for my team).

Took me all the way into acceptance mode.

Yeah, he's a pretty good comparable it seems. Bruce's defense isn't so impressive and that restricts his value. What's Myers' like?

Infidel Goat 12-11-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest31kc (Post 9199734)
Bob Dutton ‏@Royals_Report

#Royals sign LHP George Sherrill and RHP Dan Wheeler to minor-league deals in addition to OF Willy Taveras.

Lefties bat .186 against Sherrill and righties bat .216 against Wheeler.

Can we play them like this?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AAIoN6-jv8...Bob%2BWalt.jpg

Mr. Laz 12-11-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9199791)
If Myers is the next Young—consensus top prospect turned replacement-level player—then the Royals will have out-Raysed the Rays, trading a flawed young player at the peak of his value, when his potential still seemed likely to pan out.

hopefully this is the case

The Royals could have/should have had Myers up late in the season last year and they didn't.

Is that Frenchy love or Myers value would probably drop?

i don't know but now i hope Myers is a huge bust

stevenidol 12-11-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 9199762)
This guy thinks the trade was crap, here's his take .........

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...de-aint-pretty

A Royal Blunder
Why it made no sense for the Kansas City Royals to trade star prospect Wil Myers
By Rany Jazayerli on December 10, 2012

Rany had the same boner for Kila too.

cabletech94 12-11-2012 01:05 PM

damn. i wanted to make it on page 1.

let's go royals. let's go.

Chiefspants 12-11-2012 01:09 PM

After a few days to cool down, I must admit, it's wonderful to be excited again.

alnorth 12-11-2012 01:13 PM

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...s-shields.html

The Tigers offered Avisail Garcia and several prospects for Shields, and they probably would have gotten him if we didn't come in with Myers.

Demonpenz 12-11-2012 01:22 PM

David Howard hit that ball that Jim Edmonds did the over the head grab on.