ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Who has a tankless hot water heater? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=251182)

WV 10-30-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9067246)
Propane is actually cheaper to operate than natural gas.

Maybe where you are, but not here. Propane is expensive compared to Natural Gas.

htismaqe 10-30-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9067283)
But more dangerous

How do you figure?

A Salt Weapon 10-30-2012 10:38 PM

I install and service propane on-demand water heaters. Rinnai is light years above the competition, the unit runs about 900-1300 depending on where you get it from and installation is not much more 500-1000. These are AK prices so might be less in your area. They also make units for natural gas if that is an option.

The water flow is incredible 7.5gpm-9.8gpms at minimum delta T(temperature change) our groundwater here is about 40degrees and I typically measure about 5gpm. More than enough for a standard household. And endless as well.

The condensing models are capable of 96.5% efficiency although the steady state is about 98+%. Even the non condensing models are in the mid 80% range. Combined with not using energy while not in use, they are very energy efficient.

Simply Red 10-30-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 7987067)
Who has a tankless hot water heater?

I'm not sure - do i need to ask my Condo Manager?

A Salt Weapon 10-30-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7989200)
I called Rinnai about their outdoor tankless system, since i didn't want to install intake + exhaust pipes. I told the rep I lived in SW Kansas where we can get -30 with the wind chill.

He proceeded to tell me it would not be a problem. I told my plumber friend about it and he laughed his ass off.

Stay away from the outdoor units unless you live south of Dallas. I am just going to have to install the ****ing exhaust and intakes. BTW, gas is a LOT more powerful then the electric. Just check the manuals for how many gallons per minute they can heat, even a mid line gas kicks the shit out of a beast electric heater.

Hmm, I have installed many outside in Alaska and they have had I problem. They have internal frost protection that is good to -40 or so. You have to insulate the pipes or put heat tape on them but the unit will not freeze as long as it has power.

A Salt Weapon 10-30-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9067246)
Propane is actually cheaper to operate than natural gas.

And what world do you live in? I'm a propane guy, and while I ****ing love propane, we can't compete price wise with nat gas. Now CNG compared to LP is another story, but that only applies to auto-gas.

A Salt Weapon 10-30-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9067002)
I'm going to sound like a nut job when I say this, but remember that I'm a child of the Cold War.

I kind of like having a tank in the house, because if there's some sort of major emergency it's a good water supply for a couple of days.

Not at all, it's a great idea to have available potable water available. One thing I recommend to people if their existing tank isn't leaking, is to have it before the on-demand and have the breaker off, this functions as a storage tank that slightly increases the inlet temp of the on-demand and allows greater water flow. Also functions as available drinking water, just make sure to filter the water if you take it out of the bottom of the tank as the sediment can be pretty gross.

In the case of no gas, you can turn on the breaker and have hot water.

Install an isolation valve kit with any on-demand unit. Rinnai is including them into the units now.

Dave Lane 10-31-2012 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9067002)
I'm going to sound like a nut job when I say this, but remember that I'm a child of the Cold War.

I kind of like having a tank in the house, because if there's some sort of major emergency it's a good water supply for a couple of days.

Get a 40 gallon pressure tank not only will it have 40 gallons of water for you but it will also give you pressure even if you lose water pressure. You'll have 40 gallons worth of pressure before you actually have to do something.

crazycoffey 10-31-2012 02:39 AM

god I hate the offseason.

R8RFAN 10-31-2012 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9067588)
How do you figure?

Propane is heavier than air, Natural gas is lighter

Rausch 10-31-2012 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7987292)
To be fair, I told the guy that there are times when there are as many as 6 people living in my house, so what he's projecting as my demand for hot water at any given time may have factored into what he was telling me.

Whoah.

You Catholic, latino, or both?...:spock:

htismaqe 10-31-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon (Post 9067707)
And what world do you live in? I'm a propane guy, and while I ****ing love propane, we can't compete price wise with nat gas. Now CNG compared to LP is another story, but that only applies to auto-gas.

Per gallon, no.

But a propane high-efficiency water heater uses less fuel than natural gas.

I have 2 houses, one in town and one in the country. The water heater in the country costs me about $25 per year less to operate (it runs on propane).

htismaqe 10-31-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9067888)
Propane is heavier than air, Natural gas is lighter

That doesn't make it more dangerous. I'm missing something here.

R8RFAN 10-31-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9067947)
That doesn't make it more dangerous. I'm missing something here.

If you have a propane leak the gas sinks to the floor and stays there risking an explosion, Natural gas is lighter than air and escapes to the atmosphere.

That is why they add the smell to propane, that pungent odor is an added smell, propane has hardly any smell otherwise.

htismaqe 10-31-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9067955)
If you have a propane leak the gas sinks to the floor and stays there risking an explosion, Natural gas is lighter than air and escapes to the atmosphere.

That is why they add the smell to propane, that pungent odor is an added smell, propane has hardly any smell otherwise.

Both propane and natural gas have an odor additive (usually Mercaptan).

If you have a gas leak in your house, you risk explosion whether you have natural gas or propane, because neither can escape.

And I've never seen an installation of a propane tank INDOORS. They're usually installed at least 50 feet from any dwelling.

I'm not an expert by any means but my dad worked for the LP company for 30-some years.