ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Question about Thai Food (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274417)

Buck 07-10-2013 12:23 AM

Question about Thai Food

I have only had it 3 times, all within the last 2 months. I've always heard that you order it on a spiciness scale of 1-10, and that 10 is supposed to be extremely spicy.

First time I ordered I got a 6, and it wasn't spicy at all, then I got an 8, and it barely registered. Last time I went 9 and it still didn't crave my spicy hunger.

I'm going to get a 10 next time, but wtf is up with all the hype?

P.S. I got Pad Thai each time, I don't know if that's just not a spicy dish or what.

CrazyPhuD 07-10-2013 12:25 AM

Go down on a thai chick that will tell you the level of spice you want. Just make sure you don't end up in a crying game moment....

TribalElder 07-10-2013 12:27 AM

http://www.feistees.com/wp-content/u...0/02/orgtr.jpg

SPchief 07-10-2013 12:28 AM

I feel like this is a Q

Buck 07-10-2013 12:28 AM

I really like the use of veggies in Thai food, it makes eating them so much more enjoyable.

Buck 07-10-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 9802612)
I feel like this is a Q

I searched and for some reason there is one in the Media Center.

Ming the Merciless 07-10-2013 12:31 AM

When you order say "I want it Thai spicy"

/thread

nstygma 07-10-2013 12:53 AM

yeah they're giving you the white-boy scale of spiciness.

oh, and Papaya Salad is habit-forming! anyone else like it?

Buck 07-10-2013 12:55 AM

I don't know what that is but that peanut sauce they use as salad dressing is on point.

ChiefGator 07-10-2013 03:36 AM

Pad Thai is really never that spicy. Try ordering some red curry at 10 and it may blow you away.

And it's just the restaurant you are going to likely.

blaise 07-10-2013 03:55 AM

The one near my house sells a Tom Yum soup that's very spicy even at 4 or 5. Probably varies by dish and location I guess.

NewChief 07-10-2013 05:34 AM

Say you want it "Thai hot." At least that's how we order it here if you want it really spicy. If it still isn't spicy, find a new thai restaurant. I like spicy food and have a high tolerance, but I no longer order it that hot because of the flaming shits the next day.

DaKCMan AP 07-10-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9802625)
yeah they're giving you the white-boy scale of spiciness.

oh, and Papaya Salad is habit-forming! anyone else like it?

This. You are getting the white-boy treatment. Next time order it the spiciest level (don't give them a #, tell them you want it Thai Hot) and if it still doesn't register ask them to bring out a spice tray. Add what you want. They'll get the message and eventually will give you the real stuff. I've received the white-boy treatment at Thai restaurants before and now let them know how I really want it. Usually when I go to a place with an Asian person they give me the real stuff without having to ask.

Yes - papaya salad is good stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9802627)
I don't know what that is but that peanut sauce they use as salad dressing is on point.

Peanut dressing FTW!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9802641)
Pad Thai is really never that spicy. Try ordering some red curry at 10 and it may blow you away.

And it's just the restaurant you are going to likely.

Red or panang curry thai hot is my typical go-to. Amazing stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9802645)
The one near my house sells a Tom Yum soup that's very spicy even at 4 or 5. Probably varies by dish and location I guess.

Tom Kha is better. Extremely Awesome. I love tofu in soup so I often order Tom Kha Tofu. Those insistent upon meat can go with Tom Kha Gai.

DaKCMan AP, Thai food addict.

BigMeatballDave 07-10-2013 05:40 AM

I haven't eaten any Thai in about a yr. Love Pad Thai. There was a great Thai take out place near where I lived in Ohio. They would make it HOT like I like it.

ChiefGator 07-10-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9802661)
Tom Kha is better. Extremely Awesome. I love tofu in soup so I often order Tom Kha Tofu. Those insistent upon meat can go with Tom Kha Gai.[/I]

That soup is good.. I prefer mine without so much coconut, which I think has another Thai name I don't remember right now. Otherwise, I think it is pretty much the same spices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9802658)
I like spicy food and have a high tolerance, but I no longer order it that hot because of the flaming shits the next day.

For me it's waking up at 4 am with digestional uncomfort.. that goes on and on... It is sad to have to reduce one's normal heat amount by a level or two.

Even a good amount of Jalapenos can do it to me now. Damn getting old(er).