ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Dark Knight Rises *Spoilers* Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261597)

Jawshco 07-21-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8758377)
One thing I will say, at risk of sounding dorky, is that this movie followed the comic book Knightfall, just like Batman Begins followed Batman: Year one and Dark Knight followed Killing Joke. After Knightfall Bruce Wayne retires and Tim Drake (John Blake) takes the guarding of Gotham as Robin on his own. They followed the comics pretty well in this story.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batma...fall#section_2

Well... Tim Drake wasn't alone. Jean Paul Valley (Aka Azrael) becomes a twisted Batman who abandons Robin. Then Dick Grayson comes in at the end to help fight against the new Batman with Robin and the healed Bruce doesn't retire. He still tries to be heroic even in a wheelchair. When he fails to save Tim's parents he begins training with Shiva (which is my favorite part of Knightfall).

I actually think TDKR also takes inspiration from the No Man's Land series.

scorpio 07-21-2012 10:08 PM

I like that Nolan draws from a lot of the best mythos of the comics but ultimately creates his own continuity. TDKR has a lot from Knightfall and The Dark Knight Returns, but isn't loyal to either. And it works.

I do wish they could have put more of Knightfall in there, like having to re-undergo the ninja training and take back the mantle, but it was already a pretty long movie. A nod to Azrael would have been cool.

tk13 07-21-2012 10:24 PM

We're probably over thinking it all a bit. Who says that Batwing can't go 180 mph? There are certainly plenty of aircraft that can go that fast. It was an advanced piece of technology though, so there's probably options we aren't even thinking about.

Reaper16 07-21-2012 10:25 PM

It literally doesn't matter how Bruce escaped.

Jawshco 07-21-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8758345)
It's derived from the Frank Miller Year One series.

Exactly, that's where the Holly Robinson begins. She's a prostitute that Selina rescues in year one, but is also used later in the regular continuity. Selina has a thing for protecting prostitutes, but I don't think she's bi-sexual per se. Holly is more like an adopted stray. However, it can't be denied that Catwoman is extremely sexual with bdsm tendacies. She also rooms with other women who serve as fences for her. None of them her girlfriend's though.

OnTheWarpath15 07-21-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8758431)
It literally doesn't matter how Bruce escaped.

It literally doesn't matter that 5 months of the story was blown through in about 15 minutes of film time, either.

Gosh, this is easy.

Reaper16 07-21-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8758435)
It literally doesn't matter that 5 months of the story was blown through in about 15 minutes of film time, either.

I agree.

Jawshco 07-21-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 8758410)
I like that Nolan draws from a lot of the best mythos of the comics but ultimately creates his own continuity. TDKR has a lot from Knightfall and The Dark Knight Returns, but isn't loyal to either. And it works.

I do wish they could have put more of Knightfall in there, like having to re-undergo the ninja training and take back the mantle, but it was already a pretty long movie. A nod to Azrael would have been cool.

Agreed, I loved the back breaking scene that was done so iconically in both media even though the movie's Bane is so completely different. It does work. The blown bridges and destruction of Gotham was very No Man's Land to me- so it's both a very well informed movie from the comics, but completely unique.

Definitely the best super hero movie series of all time. Still... I'd love a -more faithful to the comics- movie of Batman, which has never been done on film IMO. The animated movie Masks of the Phantasm was my favorite bat related film. I want a movie series where we can see Robin, so that death in the family and Under the Red Hood can be done. That would be awesome.

BWillie 07-21-2012 11:01 PM

Literally nobody gives a shit how it follows the comic book, just as long as it makes a good movie.

Jawshco 07-21-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 8758475)
Literally nobody gives a shit how it follows the comic book, just as long as it makes a good movie.

Ha! Nobody is a name of an actual Batman villain. I think comparisons between movies and their source material will always matter to fans of the source material. That being said, even comic book publishers these days aren't showing a whole lot of reverence for their characters histories. DC rebooted everything with it's new 52. And it sounds like Marvel is about to do the same thing.

luv 07-21-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 8758475)

Just because you've never read the comic book doesn't mean others haven't.

Jawshco 07-21-2012 11:31 PM

Is JGL Grayson, Todd, or Drake? He's first Robin like Grayson, and is an orphan like Grayson and Todd. He's called a hothead- which is Jason Todd's main characteristic. Then he figures out who Batman is, which what Tim Drake did in the comics- who also happens to be Robin in the comics during the Knightfall and No Man's land series. So basically John Blake is all of them, but none of them- he's a familiar new character that tributes the other Robins.

Obviously 4th Robin, Stephanie Brown doesn't exist in this movie storyline (since the new 52 started she might not exist in the comics anymore either) , and since Talia was killed there's little chance that her and Bruce's son, Damian Wayne- the 5th Robin, will be born.

Speaking of Talia's death scene. That was the funniest death groan I've seen since Paul Reuben's death scene in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

tk13 07-21-2012 11:35 PM

I really need to see it again... I have a hard time comparing this one to the other movies so soon. Still, I really think this might have been a better movie than The Dark Knight. Probably because it had more emotional impact. And Tom Hardy was great as Bane. Nolan made some great choices character wise... I wasn't 100% sold on Ledger as Joker or Hardy as Bane... but they were both tremendous villains.

Sure-Oz 07-21-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8758503)
Just because you've never read the comic book doesn't mean others haven't.

I have no idea why you are in this thread if you haven't seen the movie

Sure-Oz 07-21-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8758529)
I really need to see it again... I have a hard time comparing this one to the other movies so soon. Still, I really think this might have been a better movie than The Dark Knight. Probably because it had more emotional impact. And Tom Hardy was great as Bane. Nolan made some great choices character wise... I wasn't 100% sold on Ledger as Joker or Hardy as Bane... but they were both tremendous villains.

I enjoyed TDKR the best for sure of all 3, but they all tie together so greatly. Esp the way the 2nd movie ended transitioning into this one. The fall of batman was emotional seeing it on the screen and watching him come back was spectacular.