ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Justin Houston’s last year in KC? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317601)

kcbubb 09-21-2018 08:41 AM

Justin Houston’s last year in KC?

I’m not an expert on these contracts, but could it be Houston’s last year here? His production has been awful and with two games this year with big leads and lots of down the field pass attempts by opposing QBs, Houston has no sacks. I think he has less sacks in the last 50 or so games than he did in the year before his contract, the big year with 22 sacks. His cap hit will decline dramatically next year. He might be gone. As a general rule, I think the chiefs should limit these large 2nd contracts. The motivation just isn’t there. The raiders were right to trade Khalil Mack. Here’s the info on Houston’s contract. Let’s hope Houston turns it around. We need him for a playoff run but if he doesn’t increase production, I think he’s gone.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-c...-houston-7789/

TambaBerry 09-21-2018 08:46 AM

another stupid opinion on Houston lol

Fish 09-21-2018 08:47 AM

LOL, no.

TEX 09-21-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 13749829)
another stupid opinion on Houston lol

Stupid? He's made some points. Maybe he's still here next year, but its not foolish to be looking down the road sooner rather than later with Houston. The production isnt there to justify the contract. Unless that changes, he's not gonna stick around for its duration... :shrug:

kcbubb 09-21-2018 08:53 AM

http://www.nfl.com/player/justinhous...93/careerstats

2018 0
2017 9.5
2016 4
2015 7.5

I wouldn’t pay $15,000,000 for that kind of production with a $21,000,000 cap hit. And he’s not getting any younger. Father Time is working against him as well. Our defense needs his pass rush desperately. I hope he delivers but he’s sucked thus far this year.

chiefzilla1501 09-21-2018 08:56 AM

They will undoubtedly restructure. This offseason is the perfect time to do it. It's a win for both the Chiefs and Houston. Houston would rather get paid less for a protected contract.

OKchiefs 09-21-2018 08:57 AM

Houston absolutely should be gone unless he agrees to a significant pay cut.

But I also wouldn't avoid these contracts. Mack and Confirm Miller have actually performed well relative to their contracts. We just happen to have two examples of players who signed big contracts and broke down soon after, but it doesn't always happen that way.

OKchiefs 09-21-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13749843)
They will undoubtedly restructure. This offseason is the perfect time to do it. It's a win for both the Chiefs and Houston. Houston would rather get paid less for a protected contract.

Restructure just means moving around money to future years to save money in the current year. I assume you mean renegotiate a reduced contract?

kccrow 09-21-2018 09:01 AM

There's more to football than sacks and Justin Houston does everything well. Trading him is lunacy.

DaFace 09-21-2018 09:01 AM

Given the state of our pass rushers, you pretty much have to pick your poison between re-signing Dee Ford and paying Justin Houston. We can't let them both go in one year.

kcbubb 09-21-2018 09:03 AM

Houston doesn’t have the same explosiveness. His quickness, strength and power are all dramatically less than he was and he isn’t getting any younger. He’s a very smart player and that helped him. Why continue to invest in a player who’s skills are likely going to continue to decline? He needs to produce this year or take a huge pay cut or be gone.

kccrow 09-21-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13749856)
Given the state of our pass rushers, you pretty much have to pick your poison between re-signing Dee Ford and paying Justin Houston. We can't let them both go in one year.

And honestly, I'm preparing thy anus for the Chiefs to re-sign Ford at 10-12 per.

OKchiefs 09-21-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13749855)
There's more to football than sacks and Justin Houston does everything well. Trading him is lunacy.

Sacks is why he gets $20 million a year. Nobody in the NFL gets paid $20 million a year if they're not a pass rusher.

kccrow 09-21-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcbubb (Post 13749859)
Houston doesn’t have the same explosiveness. His quickness, strength and power are all dramatically less than he was and he isn’t getting any younger. He’s a very smart player and that helped him. Why continue to invest in a player who’s skills are likely going to continue to decline? He needs to produce this year or take a huge pay cut or be gone.

That's what people said about Terrell Suggs too, but the Ravens re-signed him and he kept getting 10 sacks a year and playing great run defense.

kcbubb 09-21-2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13749855)

You don’t pay Houston for doing everything well. You pay elite pass rushers $15m.