ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Star Wars: The Old Republic (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204523)

Pants 01-04-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8262176)
I'm sure it's pretty easy to do a find/grep on people typing /getdown during combat or to have it notify GMs whenever someone is typing /getdown while in combat.

Ahhh, could be. I have no idea what kind of tools they have at their disposal, but I'm sure they're extensive.

thecoffeeguy 01-04-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8262163)
HTF would they know? Do they have ninja GMs watching over everybody?

My guess is, MMO companies log everything during gameplay including stuff like how fast a person is gaining experience. That would allow them to easily look for anomalies on character(s). After you find it, investigate it a bit, not to hard to figure out. Also, other players are most likely reporting the action, to it gives the GM's characters to zero in on and take it from there.

Glad to see Bioware is bringing down the hammer.

keg in kc 01-04-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8262182)
Well, that would be on you. When I wanted to try out the Horde in WoW, I had to roll on a different server, IIRC. World PvP can get messed up in a thousand different ways when you can roll on both sides.

I couldn't give two shits about PvP. To me it's a fun occasional diversion, nothing more.

Pants 01-04-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8262189)
I couldn't give two shits about PvP.

I understand that. World PvP is a part of the game even on PvE servers, however, and when you allow players to roll both sides on the same server, you're essentially breaking the game.

Huffmeister 01-04-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8262182)
Well, that would be on you. When I wanted to try out the Horde in WoW, I had to roll on a different server, IIRC. World PvP can get messed up in a thousand different ways when you can roll on both sides.

I think in WoW you could have both factions on PvE servers, but not PvP. And you can't transfer characters from a PvE to a PvP server. I haven't created any toons on a PvP server in SWTOR, so I'm not sure if it's the same or not.

Pants 01-04-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8262251)
I think in WoW you could have both factions on PvE servers, but not PvP. And you can't transfer characters from a PvE to a PvP server. I haven't created any toons on a PvP server in SWTOR, so I'm not sure if it's the same or not.

Ahhh, I thought you couldn't in WoW... it's been so long. Either way, the point stands.

keg in kc 01-04-2012 11:57 AM

I'm fairly certain I had characters on both sides in WoW also, but I've slept a lot of nights since then.

People will exploit regardless. Make it single-faction only and they'll run dual accounts on the same server, they'll coordinate with friends playing other factions, they'll probably do a thousand other things I've never even thought of. It's an ego boost to a lot of guys, for whatever reason, and they'll do whatever it takes, honest or otherwise.

Personally, I think you need to have cross-faction servers, and I think it's great that the legacy carries over, so I'm recognizable as me regardless of which side I'm playing.

Valiant 01-04-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8262437)
I'm fairly certain I had characters on both sides in WoW also, but I've slept a lot of nights since then.

People will exploit regardless. Make it single-faction only and they'll run dual accounts on the same server, they'll coordinate with friends playing other factions, they'll probably do a thousand other things I've never even thought of. It's an ego boost to a lot of guys, for whatever reason, and they'll do whatever it takes, honest or otherwise.

Personally, I think you need to have cross-faction servers, and I think it's great that the legacy carries over, so I'm recognizable as me regardless of which side I'm playing.

They added it a couple years ago to where you could in wow...

kaplin42 01-04-2012 11:09 PM

Just tanked the Foundry (level 38 Flashpoint). If you haven't been there, and you know some of the KotOR history, then this zone is epic.

If you don't know any of the story line, then the zone is still a lot of fun.

kcxiv 01-04-2012 11:31 PM

I havent been on much, going through a little bit right now, but ill get back into the game very soon.

keg in kc 01-12-2012 01:52 PM

Looks like next week's update has a name:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fJjMex_iEIw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 01-12-2012 02:00 PM

Some more info:
Quote:

Next week’s update for Star Wars: The Old Republic is to be called Rise Of The Rakghouls, and plans to add some major new content to the game, focusing on story-heavy features. Senior Creative Director James Ohlen explained to us in an interview we’re posting very soon that along with “a lot of bug fixes and modifications”, there would be the titular new story-focused flashpoint, as well as expanding Karagga’s Palace to have five times as many bosses (five). And this is just the first of many updates they’re already working on. March promises a new planet, warzone, operation, guild banks… And then there’s the updates they’re already working on for next year. You can see the accompanying trailer below.

According to Ohlen, the entire SWTOR team is still working flat-out on content for the released game. Next week’s update is just one of many they’re currently working on, with another much larger patch planned for March. It will contain part two of Rise Of The Rakghouls, and an entire new planet containing an operation and warzone, as well as “the second half of the Legacy System, which is the real meat of it.”

March will also see the game update with guild banks and PVP ranking systems, and Ohlen promises another sweep of bug fixes and tweaks.

Rasputin 01-12-2012 02:04 PM

Star Wars theme by Mr. Buckethead

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ucezi6wQblg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ucezi6wQblg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Pants 01-12-2012 02:04 PM

**** new content, fix the damn game first.

keg in kc 01-12-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8288913)
**** new content, fix the damn game first.

I must be really lucky or something. I've had zero problems pop up with anything 0 to 50.

And you probably already know that different teams do bug fixes and new content. It's not like they have 5 guys in a dark room slaving over patch fixes for a couple hours every tuesday and that's it.