ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Terez Paylor mock draft (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290452)

the Talking Can 02-06-2015 02:44 PM

Terez Paylor mock draft

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt...le8872781.html

Quote:

18 Chiefs

ILB Eric Kendricks, 6-0, 230, UCLA

The Chiefs probably wouldn’t mind scooping up any of the top three receivers — Cooper, White and Parker — or even Scherff, who figures to be a plug-and-play left guard. But all those guys are off the board here, and the widely-acknowledged first-round alternatives at those positions — Dorial Green-Beckham, Devin Funchess and Jaelen Strong at receiver and T.J. Clemmings, Ereck Flowers and Cedric Ogbuehi at offensive line — have question marks (for now).

But if the Chiefs address those positions with veterans in free agency, which might be the best option, given coach Andy Reid’s complicated playbook, that would allow general manager John Dorsey to take the best player at a position of need. Lanky Michigan State cornerback Trae Waynes could be tempting, particularly with veteran Sean Smith set to hit free agency in a year, but inside linebacker is a bigger need right now, particularly if they fail to address it in free agency. Even if Derrick Johnson, 32, returns to his pre-injury form, this unit is in desperate need of young talent, and the best player on the board at this position is Kendricks, who a bonafide tackling machine who racked up a ridiculous 145 tackles in only 13 games this season.

Kendricks is not very big, so long-term durability is a concern, but his plus instincts, quickness and passion for the game would allow the two-time UCLA captain to be a plug-and-play, three-down weakside inside linebacker who can immediately help a leaky run defense. As long as Kendricks’ medical checks out, it would be a surprise if he lasts until the Chiefs’ pick in the second round.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt...#storylink=cpy

Saccopoo 02-06-2015 08:17 PM

**** that.

Bowser 02-06-2015 08:23 PM

Not saying that Mike Backer isn't a need for this team, but WTF?

BigCatDaddy 02-07-2015 01:19 PM

I like it. Better than pissing away a pick on a WR that won't be thrown to. We need a dominant D.

DaneMcCloud 02-07-2015 01:22 PM

Awesome. The ILB position was the weakest link on the defense last year. DJ is 32 years old coming off an Achilles tear and while Mauga was serviceable, JMJ and Mays were not.

This guy could be the next DJ and anchor the spot for 10 years.

Saccopoo 02-07-2015 02:07 PM

This dude is not the next DJ.

He's not that fast.

He's not that big.

He's the ultimate try hard type of player who racked up a lot of tackles.

He's an instinctive player without any of the intangibles to project him as anything more than a special teams guy. His upside in the NFL is very limited IMO.

He doesn't shed linemen very well and he doesn't have the size or strength to take them on. He doesn't make very many impact plays (ints, forced fumbles, etc.) and tends to piggy back his D linemen when getting to a play.

I wouldn't take before the fifth round. If then.

Guys like Zach Vigil or Terrance Plummer have all of the instincts that Kendricks has plus they are 6'2", 240 lb and play faster.

DaneMcCloud 02-07-2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11315333)

He's not that fast.

He's not that big.

He's an instinctive player without any of the intangibles to project him as anything more than a special teams guy. His upside in the NFL is very limited IMO.

He doesn't shed linemen very well and he doesn't have the size or strength to take them on. He doesn't make very many impact plays (ints, forced fumbles, etc.) and tends to piggy back his D linemen when getting to a play.

Guys like Zach Vigil or Terrance Plummer have all of the instincts that Kendricks has plus they are 6'2", 240 lb and play faster.

This seals it: The guy is destined for the Hall of Fame.

:p

CaliforniaChief 02-07-2015 02:44 PM

It's still so early. Guys that we think are 1st rounders will go in the 3rd-4th, and vice versa. If he's a playmaker, great. If he's a guy with the capability to "captain" a defense, great.

kccrow 02-07-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

He's not that fast.

He's not that big.

Zach Vigil inside in a 3-4? Maybe as a WILL, but not a chance as the MIKE. Doesn't move well enough. He isn't that fast and didn't play against much. I like him, don't get me wrong, but he's not Kendricks. Probably be best as a SAM in a 4-3.

I do agree with you about Kendricks. I wouldn't take him in round 1. Hell, I might not take him in round 2. I've seen MUCH better linebackers than him not go until round 2. I'd take Paul Dawson before Kendricks.

gonefishin53 02-07-2015 05:04 PM

Kendricks lined up 6 yards off the line of scrimmage behind a big, stout 4 man dline and rarely had to take on blockers. More of a Tampa 2 ILB than a 3-4 ILB.

Saccopoo 02-08-2015 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 11315562)
Zach Vigil inside in a 3-4? Maybe as a WILL, but not a chance as the MIKE. Doesn't move well enough. He isn't that fast and didn't play against much. I like him, don't get me wrong, but he's not Kendricks. Probably be best as a SAM in a 4-3.

I do agree with you about Kendricks. I wouldn't take him in round 1. Hell, I might not take him in round 2. I've seen MUCH better linebackers than him not go until round 2. I'd take Paul Dawson before Kendricks.

Here he is destroying USC's offensive line and wreaking havoc in the backfield. Dude plays very fast and instinctive.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hClFlhinakU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chief Roundup 02-08-2015 07:26 AM

MLB, CB, or DL followed by WR or G in the first round.

RealSNR 02-08-2015 07:45 AM

Quote:

He's not that fast.

He's not that big.

I don't trust Dorsey to find DJ's replacement in the middle rounds and later, do you?

Thus far he hasn't drafted a single damn good LB, inside or outside.

Chief Roundup 02-08-2015 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 11316350)
I don't trust Dorsey to find DJ's replacement in the middle rounds and later, do you?

Thus far he hasn't drafted a single damn good LB, inside or outside.

Because 2 drafts really gives a lot of experience to draw from.
He has drafted Nico Johnson in the 4th and Dee Ford.
YOU just don't trust or want to trust Dorsey.

Sandy Vagina 02-08-2015 10:42 AM

KC could do worse than Kendricks. He looks thicker than 230, and I'd expect him to weigh in at 240, unless he deliberately wants to weigh less to time better.