ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Homemade pizza... how do you roll? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269241)

keg in kc 01-24-2013 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This afternoon's effort:

Rausch 01-24-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9347848)
This afternoon's effort:

Tried to make a deep dish with the heat too high?...

Stewie 01-24-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9347926)
Tried to make a deep dish with the heat too high?...

I think that's a pizza stone underneath the pizza. Doesn't look overcooked if it is.

keg in kc 01-24-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9347950)
I think that's a pizza stone underneath the pizza. Doesn't look overcooked if it is.

You're correct, although not a stone, a pan I bought years ago that has holes throughout. Gives good crispy crusts.

Chest Rockwell 01-24-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9347692)
One pound is like 2 cups. That's not much for $5/pound. Just sayin'...

Like I said, I don't use it anymore because I don't find the differences worth it. I was just pointing out its not prohibitively expensive or that hard to find.

$5/lb is the most you'd have to pay for it. With the recipe I use that would come out to $1.25 a pie. Or a buck more than all purpose.

I'm not sure how that would compare to store bought crust/dough but it can't be that much more.

Fire Me Boy! 01-24-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell (Post 9348060)
Like I said, I don't use it anymore because I don't find the differences worth it. I was just pointing out its not prohibitively expensive or that hard to find.

$5/lb is the most you'd have to pay for it. With the recipe I use that would come out to $1.25 a pie. Or a buck more than all purpose.

I'm not sure how that would compare to store bought crust/dough but it can't be that much more.

When I was making bacon, I went ahead and bought the real maple sugar without thinking about how much 1 pound was. I was like, "Oh, a pound of sugar, that's quite a bit - $25 isn't too bad."

:doh!:

Chest Rockwell 01-24-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9348095)
When I was making bacon, I went ahead and bought the real maple sugar without thinking about how much 1 pound was. I was like, "Oh, a pound of sugar, that's quite a bit - $25 isn't too bad."

:doh!:

Oh, I don't deny getting fancy can add up quick. I once brewed a batch of beer for gifts called chocolate jitters. Each 5 gallon batch called for like $10 worth of vanilla beans, a pound of blue mountain coffee, and a pound of very specific belgian chocolate. It was great, but the at the time the coffee alone cost more than most of my entire batches of other beers.

Not to hijack this too bad, back to the dough: If I had a proper pizza oven, and a decent digital scale I'd absolutely use it because when everything is done correctly it does make a noticeable difference.

And it really can be only $1 a pie more (or closer to $.50 if you can find the right source locally). And if you're using meats/cheeses etc. that are imported or specialty that shouldn't be enough to keep you from using it if you really want to.

Actually, if I could be trusted to be an actual adult and meticulous enough about measuring it would probably make a big difference. So, the minorness of difference probably is not about the flour as much as it is about me.

MahiMike 01-24-2013 03:45 PM

All home made and put on a stone on my Big Green Egg. Yeah!

mlyonsd 01-24-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9345990)
Tried out Serious Eats' "Foolproof Pan Pizza" this evening... went pseudo-gourmet with this one, got some premium aged mozzarella, real parmigiano reggiano, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, and thinly slice prosciutto.

Best pizza I've made to date. Out. Standing.

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/6/img3989pr.jpg

So when you do homemade pizza, what do you do? Basic? Go all out? Pre-made crusts?

Good grief FMB pan pizza isn't my first choice but that looks fricking awesome.

Fire Me Boy! 01-24-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9348462)
Good grief FMB pan pizza isn't my first choice but that looks fricking awesome.

Thanks, man! :thumb: