ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ****OFFICIAL 2013 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272221)

kcxiv 05-26-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9710762)
MJ himself said that the league is a mere shadow to the overall (including role players) competition that was present in the 80's

Name as many good players any year in the 80s from good players today. I'm pretty sure there are many more today.

chiefzilla1501 05-26-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9710786)
Name as many good players any year in the 80s from good players today. I'm pretty sure there are many more today.

How do you define "good"? Because in the 80's and 90's, players played tremendous defense. The defense LeBron is getting from George in the Pacers series is the kind of defense MJ saw in an entire playoff series.

Tribal Warfare 05-26-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9710786)

MJ, Larry Magic, Worthy, Drexler,Ewing,Barkley,Drexler,Pippen,Mullen,Wilkins,Robinson, Reggie Miller, Walton, Olajuwon,Mourning,Isaih Thomas, Kenny Johnson, Larry Johnson before his knee injury,Brad Daugherty, Mark Price, Stockton, and Malone

that's literally is off of pure memory without looking it up and cheating.

Direckshun 05-26-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9710183)
How are their roles different? They're all on the floor because of their 3 point shooting ability. That's pretty much it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Swing and a miss.

Not to mention you miss the point.

dirk digler 05-26-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9710800)
How do you define "good"? Because in the 80's and 90's, players played tremendous defense. The defense LeBron is getting from George in the Pacers series is the kind of defense MJ saw in an entire playoff series.

IMO that has little to do with current players and more to do with the NBA making major rule changes to open up the game since their ratings were going into the toilet.

Chiefs Pantalones 05-26-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9710900)
IMO that has little to do with current players and more to do with the NBA making major rule changes to open up the game since their ratings were going into the toilet.

The ratings were going into the toilet because of the lack of talent and quality of play. Now just to get new viewers they have to have officiating be so bad that it's the primary duscussion and even Stevie Wonder knows the calls are shady. David freaking Stern vetoed a trade for crying out loud for who really knows the reason. It's laughable and it hurts to say because I used to love it. Just me, but more players and teams wowed me back then than they do now. And I'm not entirely old school. The quality was so much better back then. It's not the same. Probably because Stern didn't have to **** with it back then it was so good. Some people love it now, to each their own. I'm just saying my opinion, and it has dropped so much for me.

-King- 05-26-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9710810)
Swing and a miss.

Not to mention you miss the point.

How are their roles different?
Posted via Mobile Device

Pitt Gorilla 05-26-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9710989)
The ratings were going into the toilet because of the lack of talent and quality of play. Now just to get new viewers they have to have officiating be so bad that it's the primary duscussion and even Stevie Wonder knows the calls are shady. David freaking Stern vetoed a trade for crying out loud for who really knows the reason. It's laughable and it hurts to say because I used to love it. Just me, but more players and teams wowed me back then than they do now. And I'm not entirely old school. The quality was so much better back then. It's not the same. Probably because Stern didn't have to **** with it back then it was so good. Some people love it now, to each their own. I'm just saying my opinion, and it has dropped so much for me.

Pretty sure he's talking about the early to mid 90's as some of those times. While the Finals ratings were fine, the regular season and playoff numbers were very hit and miss (IIRC). The Knicks won not because how talented Ewing and Starks (LOL) were, but because how badly they could physically beat the other team. Those Knicks, Heat, Pistons, Pacers, et al. teams would maul each other to death. I still watched the games (because I loved the NBA), but not everyone could stomach a 63-61 barnburner.

chiefzilla1501 05-26-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9710900)

Agreed. A shitload more hand checking was allowed. Especially difficult for a Guard like Jordan.

Setsuna 05-26-2013 06:03 PM

Update the OP with the new playoff series. King is fail and needs to be banned from making threads.

-King- 05-26-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9711307)
Update the OP with the new playoff series. King is fail and needs to be banned from making threads.

:LOL: Totally forgot

tecumseh 05-26-2013 08:21 PM

Tumblin' tumbleweeds.

-King- 05-26-2013 08:38 PM

Miami is dominating. But the flopping is ****ing sad.

They literally just had 3 straight plays with flops. They make Divac look respectable.

-King- 05-26-2013 08:43 PM

Andddd....... game over.

Al Bundy 05-26-2013 08:45 PM

Flop city lol. Just terrible.