ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money To Amazon Prime or NOT to Amazon Prime (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284111)

GloryDayz 06-03-2014 01:57 PM

To Amazon Prime or NOT to Amazon Prime

Sorry if Q, but I'm on the fence about doing the whole Amazon Prime thing. Seems like getting rid of Netflix all but pays for it, but wanted to ask the opinions of others in this Mecca of awesome knowledge called Chiefs Planet..

Is Amazon Prime really worth it over eBay when you buy, let's say, 5-7 items a month? I ask because I always do the "price+shipping" deal, so it seem like it's a wash at some level. That being said, "Prime" would ALWAYS mean two-day shipping, and that's something I hardly ever do on eBay, so it could be a deal that makes it worth it enough to buy 15-20 things a month. The whole "eliminating some of the instant gratification culture/concern" deal...

Oh, and I've heard that if you use an "edu" account it's free for six months (perhaps not a big deal over a lifetime!!), but is then like half the cost. Does anybody know if that's true? If so, and it' the son who has the "edu" account, how does "Dad" pull off that scam without having the kid able to buy pretty-much anything he's ever wanted?

Thanks in advance... Just looking for some opinions before I leap...

Ebolapox 06-03-2014 01:59 PM

have it, love it. worth it. granted, I'm still a grad student and get the cheaper prime for a period of time (up to 2 years IIRC) after the free period (which is already up at the moment)

lawrenceRaider 06-03-2014 01:59 PM

Been a prime member for a long, long time. The streaming video, along with loaner books if you have a Kindle, make it a heck of a deal for me. I also buy far more from Amazon than I probably should. Bonus, if you buy from a vendor that is fulfilled by Amazon, you get the free shipping, plus no sales tax.

bowener 06-03-2014 01:59 PM

I truly hate the UI for prime streaming service.

keg in kc 06-03-2014 02:00 PM

I've had it for a year and a half, no complaints.

GloryDayz 06-03-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 10667960)
have it, love it. worth it. granted, I'm still a grad student and get the cheaper prime for a period of time (up to 2 years IIRC) after the free period (which is already up at the moment)

OK, another question. I kinda like PayPay - it makes me feel like I'm safe(r) - does Amazon have any such thing, or do the vendors get all your CC information?

mikeyis4dcats. 06-03-2014 02:02 PM

We love prime, but I rarely use it for video.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to throw me $20, I'll add you to my prime account for the shipping services. PM me.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 06-03-2014 02:03 PM

I love it

Ebolapox 06-03-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10667970)
OK, another question. I kinda like PayPay - it makes me feel like I'm safe(r) - does Amazon have any such thing, or do the vendors get all your CC information?

paypal? there is no such thing for amazon, but I think amazon itself collects the money and forwards it to the vender (so they never directly have your CC info)

bigjosh 06-03-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10667970)

All the transactions go through amazon itself. None of your payment info goes to the seller except name/address for shipping purpose. Most things you buy when you have prime you will find that amazon sells them for less then the marketplace sellers do.

Side note, paypal is awful and one of the least secure payment sites there is.

HoneyBadger 06-03-2014 02:09 PM

I like it for the shipping but the video service blows. I think I've seen one show on there since having it the past 2 months.

MTG#10 06-03-2014 02:13 PM

Video service isnt half as good as Netflix. Ive been a Prime member for about 5 years now, been getting it half off every year by claiming Im a student. They make me show "proof" every year, so I photoshop a transcript or a class schedule and Im good to go for another year.

:evil:

GloryDayz 06-03-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 10667972)

Incidentally, if anyone wants to throw me $20, I'll add you to my prime account for the shipping services. PM me.

Interesting... How would that work? And being a Mizzou fan, I fear you'd find a way to have them ship me a burning sack of dogshit.. :D

mikeyis4dcats. 06-03-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10668008)
Interesting... How would that work? And being a Mizzou fan, I fear you'd find a way to have them ship me a burning sack of dogshit.. :D

each prime member can add "household" members, but you don't have to have the same address. You paypal me the $ and your email and birthday and I add you in. You control your own ordering, I don't see or have anything to do with it. I've got one open slot...

Skyy God 06-03-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 10667972)

I'd take that deal for Prime video.