ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Calling All Lawn Guys..... High PH soil (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284831)

BigRichard 07-06-2014 03:26 PM

Calling All Lawn Guys..... High PH soil

So I just did a test on my soil today and it appears I have a rather high PH. I would like to bring it back down into an acidic PH rather than an alkaline PH. I know Aluminum Sulfate is supposed to help bring it back down but is there a good product that anyone can recommend? Any other suggestions to help speed up the process?

Edit:

Antifreeze did not help

cosmo20002 07-06-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 10733168)
So I just did a test on my soil today and it appears I have a rather high PH. I would like to bring it back down into an acidic PH rather than an alkaline PH. I know Aluminum Sulfate is supposed to help bring it back down but is there a good product that anyone can recommend? Any other suggestions to help speed up the process?

Edit:

Antifreeze did not help

Start urinating on your lawn.

TLO 07-06-2014 03:30 PM

"I'm here to check your pH balance and deliver the sausage you ordered."
---- American Dad

cosmo20002 07-06-2014 03:34 PM

http://www.ehs.ucr.edu/hazardousmate...furic_acid.jpg

milkman 07-06-2014 03:40 PM

Anti freeze didn't help?

Did you try burning it with aids fire?

BigRichard 07-06-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10733189)
Anti freeze didn't help?

Did you try burning it with aids fire?

Damn, I forgot that one. Can you recommend a store to pick that up at?

Fairplay 07-06-2014 03:43 PM

KC native is an expert lawn mower.

Stewie 07-06-2014 03:52 PM

Sulfur, or sulfur-inclusive products.

Buehler445 07-06-2014 03:55 PM

I assume your grass is showing some iron chlorosis?

It'd be cheaper to run foliar iron. Even over the long term.

eDave 07-06-2014 03:57 PM

How high is it? Anything lower than 7.5 is OK for "most" vegetation. You shouldn't get above 7.0 for optimum vegetation. You will see iron, zinc and phosphorus deficiencies as alkalinity increases. You can bring it down but it will take some work, and some time. Adding sulfer is the fastest way. Adding organics helps too. Mulch pine needles and use that. Sawdust too

Or you can dig it all up and resoil. But you still have to get the water down to the limestone to maintain alkilinity. I water at night now so the water can seep longer before it evaporates, but I live in AZ.

If resoiling, resoil with some limestone mixed in. Bringing it up is far easier than bringing it down.

Buzz 07-06-2014 04:12 PM

I was going to say pelletized lime to neutralize the PH, but after a quick check, looks like it will take you in the wrong direction.

BigRichard 07-06-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 10733220)
How high is it? Anything lower than 7.5 is OK for "most" vegetation. You shouldn't get above 7.0 for optimum vegetation. You will see iron, zinc and phosphorus deficiencies as alkalinity increases. You can bring it down but it will take some work, and some time. Adding sulfer is the fastest way. Adding organics helps too. Mulch pine needles and use that. Sawdust too

Or you can dig it all up and resoil. But you still have to get the water down to the limestone to maintain alkilinity. I water at night now so the water can seep longer, but I live in AZ.

If resoiling, resoil with some limestone mixed in. Bringing it up is far easier than bringing it down.

The little tester I got only goes up to 7.5 and it is at that so I assume it is higher. I have had a lot of issue with trees growing in the area as well as grass not being very green so I decided to test it. For the sulfer, is there a product you recommend?

cdcox 07-06-2014 05:20 PM

I just finished mowing my "lawn" which consists of a heterogeneous patchwork of ground ivy, clover, ribwort, moss, and crab grass.

Buzz 07-06-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 10733301)
I just finished mowing my "lawn" which consists of a heterogeneous patchwork of ground ivy, clover, ribwort, moss, and crab grass.

As long as you don't have dandy lions, call it good.

Rasputin 07-06-2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 10733194)
KC native is an expert lawn mower.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AcJXRFjbx80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>