ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money It's that time of year, TAX RETURN TIME! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269484)

2112 01-30-2013 09:49 AM

I try and break even, why would you want the government holding your money and making interest on it when you can already have it?

okoye35chiefs 01-30-2013 09:50 AM

don't get a huge return.

i always wanted to keep even with the government, don't want them to use me as a savings account and I dont' want to owe....stay right in the middle with a small return..

I have been audited the last two years so this year I can't wait to get the LETTER...

loochy 01-30-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griswald (Post 9364181)
I try and break even, why would you want the government holding your money and making interest on it when you can already have it?

because sometimes it can be really difficult to accurately calculate how much tax you will owe

and I definitely want to make sure I don't have to pay at the end of the year - that's a kick in the nuts for sure.

also it's nice to give yourself a little present at the end of the year.

okoye35chiefs 01-30-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griswald (Post 9364181)

I'm with you here... I stay even and pick up a couple hundred from st and fed.

Strongside 01-30-2013 10:05 AM

I made a lot of charitable donations and worked a lot of pro-bono hours this year. As well as paying in much more than my bracket dictates...I'm hopeful for a solid return. If so...it's high time to buy my girl a ring. We've been together 11 years in June. High School sweethearts. We've both been putting off engagement until we were financially stable, so it's not just my fault, lol.

okoye35chiefs 01-30-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9364213)
I made a lot of charitable donations and worked a lot of pro-bono hours this year. As well as paying in much more than my bracket dictates...I'm hopeful for a solid return. If so...it's high time to buy my girl a ring. We've been together 11 years in June. High School sweethearts. We've both been putting off engagement until we were financially stable, so it's not just my fault, lol.

good for you!

El Jefe 01-30-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364186)
because sometimes it can be really difficult to accurately calculate how much tax you will owe

and I definitely want to make sure I don't have to pay at the end of the year - that's a kick in the nuts for sure.

also it's nice to give yourself a little present at the end of the year.

Exactly.

El Jefe 01-30-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9364213)

Congrats!

DaKCMan AP 01-30-2013 10:14 AM

What a great thread!

It almost reminds me of this one from 3 weeks ago:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268635

bigjosh 01-30-2013 10:17 AM

Putting a wood stove in my basement, I am tired of being molested by the oil company.

El Jefe 01-30-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjosh006 (Post 9364248)
Putting a wood stove in my basement, I am tired of being molested by the oil company.

Great investment, well worth the cost.

kepp 01-30-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okoye35chiefs (Post 9364184)
don't get a huge return.

i always wanted to keep even with the government, don't want them to use me as a savings account and I dont' want to owe....stay right in the middle with a small return..

I have been audited the last two years so this year I can't wait to get the LETTER...

Audited two years in a row? What kind of red flags do you set off?

Buehler445 01-30-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9364134)
yeah but it also sucks that you know you'll be paying like $150,000 more than your actual house costs because of interest

Well, it depends on the size of the loan. I did some calculations on various size loans. And as of the rates a couple years ago, you could about count on paying double your principle on a 30 year amortization excluding any PMI. I can't remember if that included property tax or not, I don't think it did. Either way, it's good enough for a rule of thumb. Borrow 100K for 30 years, pay 200K total. So yeah, that's as good of a case for paying extra principle if there ever was one. And the hell of it is that interest rates are low!

Quote:

Originally Posted by okoye35chiefs (Post 9364184)
don't get a huge return.

Mother **** that! Is it a full audit or just asking to verify aspects of your return?

cookster50 01-30-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 9364311)

Claimed his name was Saddam Hussein.

loochy 01-30-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 9364311)

added dog as a dependent