ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

duncan_idaho 03-18-2012 05:28 PM

There's no value in trading Soria at this point. The best they're going to get for him if he's hurt is a C prospect.

Best case if you really want to move Soria might be a short-term injury that gives Holland/Crow/Herrerra a chance to try out the job, and build the team's confidence in them. Then, when Soria comes back, he's lights out and maybe you move him at the trade deadline to someone who's desperate for a closer (Boston?)

OmahaChief 03-18-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8469040)
Then, when Soria comes back, he's lights out and maybe you move him at the trade deadline to someone who's desperate for a closer (Boston?)

I don't think he will ever be back. Not to the stuff he had that was wicked. He has not been the same since he wanted to no longer be called the Mexictioner. I think it stole his Mojo.

Coach 03-18-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8466878)
Starters are done. Chen was pretty bad, but hopefully he was just working on stuff.

Chen 3IP 5R 5ER 0BB 2K 1HR

Gordon 1/3, 2K
Cain 1/2, 1BB, 1K (1 double)
Hosmer 0/3
Butler 1/3, 1K
Francoeur 2/3
Moustakas 0/3, 3K (great, he would have been a contender for the golden sombrero if he wasn't pulled)
Betancourt 0/2
Pena 1/2
Escobar 1/2

I tend not to pay too much attention on pitching during the early to mid going of spring training as the players tend to work on their weakness stuff and trying to get their mechanics in control or working on their mechanics. I rather have my guys pitch like shit during spring training, with the end of spring training (last week) would be a good time to start seeing some positives.

If they are pitching like shit in the last week of spring training, then I'd be a little concerned. I know they say compeitition (sp) is all that and while it does hold true, sometimes, there really isn't, depending on each team, I suppose.

alnorth 03-18-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 8469227)
I tend not to pay too much attention on pitching during the early to mid going of spring training as the players tend to work on their weakness stuff and trying to get their mechanics in control or working on their mechanics. I rather have my guys pitch like shit during spring training, with the end of spring training (last week) would be a good time to start seeing some positives.

If they are pitching like shit in the last week of spring training, then I'd be a little concerned. I know they say compeitition (sp) is all that and while it does hold true, sometimes, there really isn't, depending on each team, I suppose.

The only exception would be if a pitcher is fighting for a spot on the rotation. (like Duffy, Paulino, Mendoza, Crow, etc) If his job is guaranteed, he might just work on stuff, but if not, he needs to get people out, beat out his competition, and impress the manager.

alnorth 03-18-2012 06:37 PM

well, this isn't good. Soria was asked about his elbow, and:

Quote:

“Oh, yeah, I’m worried,” he admitted. “Since I’ve had my Tommy John surgery (in 2003), I’ve never had anything like that. I don’t feel it’s that bad because before the Tommy John surgery, all of my strength went away. This time, it hasn’t.

“So I don’t feel like it’s that.”

Even so, it’s ominous — particularly since Soria has little resembled his previous All-Star form in four spring appearances. The Royals characterized the injury as “soreness in his right elbow” and said he would be reevaluated within a couple of days.

“That’s a concern,” manager Ned Yost acknowledged. “No doubt, it’s a concern, but you can’t get crazy concerned until the doctors evaluate it and see where we’re at.”

Soria’s injury occurred shortly after the Royals announced right-handed reliever Blake Wood will be shut down for 10-14 days because of soreness that surfaced Saturday night in his right elbow in an appearance against San Diego in Peoria, Ariz.

Soria exited Sunday’s game after yielding three runs on three hits and a walk while making just 16 pitches in a 6-4 victory over the Indians at Surprise Stadium. Until Sunday, Soria had insisted he was healthy.

“I was feeling real good,” he reiterated. “I was feeling strong. I worked hard throughout the off-season to be ready. It all just happened today. I don’t know what is going to happen (next). I have to wait and talk to (the doctors) and see what they’ve got for me.”

Nightfyre 03-18-2012 06:40 PM

Fortunately we have the depth in the pen to allow Soria whatever time he needs to fully recover or even cover in the event he doesn't ever recover. The shame will be what we lost in his potential trade value.

sedated 03-18-2012 06:50 PM

Well...

F**k.

DeezNutz 03-18-2012 07:15 PM

Not to be callous, but I'd be fine with not seeing Wood flash his trademark sinking gopherball this season.

DeezNutz 03-18-2012 07:38 PM

Tweet on Rany's site:

"Betancourt forcing his way into the competition to determine starting 2B."

Exactly why I hated the signing.

Saul Good 03-18-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8469525)
Tweet on Rany's site:

"Betancourt forcing his way into the competition to determine starting 2B."

Because he might be better than Gio?

CoMoChief 03-18-2012 07:52 PM

So are the Royals going to sign old grandpa pudge rodriguez?

BigMeatballDave 03-18-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8469525)

:spock: If he's better, how is that a bad thing?

BigMeatballDave 03-18-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 8469612)
So are the Royals going to sign old grandpa pudge rodriguez?

I heard they made him an offer but has yet to accept.

DeezNutz 03-18-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8469601)
Because he might be better than Gio?

Because he's a weak defender and an OBP nightmare. And if he's better than Gio or anyone else for that matter, it means we have complete shit at the position.

Betancourt is a poor player, his upside being replacement level.

DeezNutz 03-18-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8469619)
:spock: If he's better, how is that a bad thing?

If he's better, it means we're exponentially terrible at 2B. So I would actually like to improve the position. If a complete player isn't available, go glove first. Don't let familiarity and lack of attention to numbers allow us to repeat a mistake.