ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV "Lockout" and "Cabin In The Woods" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258354)

JD10367 04-12-2012 01:51 PM

"Lockout" and "Cabin In The Woods"

Saw two movies this morning which open tomorrow.

1.) "Lockout": mildly entertaining if unoriginal (think "Escape From New York" in space, with the President's daughter instead of the President). Nothing to write home about, but it'll kill 90 minutes.

2.) "Cabin In The Woods": two words... f***ing awesome. Hilarious, gory enough (although not blatantly), and different. I sat in an empty theater by myself and still laughed and clapped. One of the few movies I want to watch again, with a crowd. Joss Whedon FTW. (And watch for "Buffy" alumni cameos.)

JD10367 04-12-2012 01:53 PM

And the two chicks in "Cabin" are quite cute (although the lack of boobage will probably disappoint most here... they both seem to have "A" cups, but look nice in panties and bikinis). Plus it has Thor/George Kirk (Chris Hemsworth), and the two older guys are character actors who you'll recognize but not know from where (I think they've been in 100 movies).

Bowser 04-12-2012 02:12 PM

I've wanted to check out Lockout. Didn't look mind blowingly good, just a nicew new take on a genre.

And Cabin really is that good, huh?

JD10367 04-12-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8536867)
I've wanted to check out Lockout. Didn't look mind blowingly good, just a nicew new take on a genre.

And Cabin really is that good, huh?

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's basically Whedon making fun of the horror-movie genre (but it's not a goofy comedy or anything... it's not a spoof). You just have to go see it to understand.

"Lockout" was okay. Like I said, nothing new, but it looked nice enough (although some of the editing was choppy). Guy Pearce was solid, the chick was cute enough, the effects were decent... I wouldn't have walked out, we'll put it that way.

vailpass 04-12-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8536783)
Saw two movies this morning which open tomorrow.

1.) "Lockout": mildly entertaining if unoriginal (think "Escape From New York" in space, with the President's daughter instead of the President). Nothing to write home about, but it'll kill 90 minutes.

2.) "Cabin In The Woods": two words... f***ing awesome. Hilarious, gory enough (although not blatantly), and different. I sat in an empty theater by myself and still laughed and clapped. One of the few movies I want to watch again, with a crowd. Joss Whedon FTW. (And watch for "Buffy" alumni cameos.)

Howdy JD,
My 13 year old son saw the ad for that and wants to see it. Was there any nudity or blatant drug use in the movie?

JD10367 04-12-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8536972)
Howdy JD,
My 13 year old son saw the ad for that and wants to see it. Was there any nudity or blatant drug use in the movie?

You didn't specify which movie, so...

"Lockout": no nudity or drug use.

"Cabin": one of the five leads is high for the whole movie; one of the two girls shows her itty bitty titties. For better or worse, nothing a 13-year-old in today's world hasn't seen a lot of.

vailpass 04-12-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8536985)
You didn't specify which movie, so...

"Lockout": no nudity or drug use.

"Cabin": one of the five leads is high for the whole movie; one of the two girls shows her itty bitty titties. For better or worse, nothing a 13-year-old in today's world hasn't seen a lot of.

Duh, sorry. I was asking about Cabin. And thank you. Is it a prolonged titty shot or a quick flash?

JD10367 04-12-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8536990)
Duh, sorry. I was asking about Cabin. And thank you. Is it a prolonged titty shot or a quick flash?

It's about a ten-second shot, one of those "girl on top, wearing a button-down shirt and panties, and she slowly unbuttons the shirt and lets it hang to both sides" things. But they're A-cups so they shouldn't frighten him too much. ;)

vailpass 04-12-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8537004)
It's about a ten-second shot, one of those "girl on top, wearing a button-down shirt and panties, and she slowly unbuttons the shirt and lets it hang to both sides" things. But they're A-cups so they shouldn't frighten him too much. ;)

Thanks very much, exactly the inside scoop I was hoping to get. Probably going to have to pass as much as I'd like to take him.

keg in kc 04-12-2012 02:57 PM

Word for months has been that cabin in the woods is really good. Not a big horror guy, so I probably won't see it, but everything I've heard has been that it's awesome.

JD10367 04-12-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8537033)
Word for months has been that cabin in the woods is really good. Not a big horror guy, so I probably won't see it, but everything I've heard has been that it's awesome.

It's not really a horror film, though (which is why I think it's getting positive pub). It's more a sci-fi/fantasy film that pokes fun at horror films a little. It's very much in the vein of "Buffy"/"Angel".

JD10367 04-12-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8537011)
Thanks very much, exactly the inside scoop I was hoping to get. Probably going to have to pass as much as I'd like to take him.

Unless you keep him chained in the basement with no access to a computer or cable, I'm pretty sure he's seen a lot worse. Hell, 13 nowadays, he's probably already had his hands on some. :thumb:

Frosty 04-12-2012 03:08 PM

Was there much actual sci-fi in Lockout or was it basically a prison movie set in space?

JD10367 04-12-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 8537059)
Was there much actual sci-fi in Lockout or was it basically a prison movie set in space?

There was a bit, in terms of why they're putting the prisoners up there, and some of the attack shuttles and space station stuff. But, pretty much, my initial post ("Escape From New York" in space, with the Pres's daughter in lieu of the Pres) pretty much summed it up. They tagged a bit of a spy story around it to try to give Guy Pearce's character some depth and motivation, that's about it. It wasn't awful--it's worth seeing, I think--but you're not going to say, "Boy, I can't wait to buy that Blu-Ray and watch it over and over!"

Deberg_1990 04-12-2012 03:52 PM

These next couple of weeks are probably the slowest time at the movies.......everyones just sort of holding back product until the big summer months.