ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV A New Season of Arrested Development?! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=251090)

Tribal Warfare 10-08-2011 11:38 PM

A New Season of Arrested Development?!

Netflix And Showtime Eye Potential New ‘Arrested Development’ Limited Series
Arrested Development creator Mitch Hurtwitz dropped another bombshell today, telling a panel at The New Yorker Festival that he plans to bring the Emmy-winning series back to television for a limited 9-10 episode run before proceeding with the long-gestating Arrested Development movie. He didn’t specify where the potential series would air as it doesn’t necessarily have to run on Fox, which carried the mothership series. I hear that 20th Century Fox TV, which co-produced Arrested Development with Imagine TV, has had talks with Netflix, which has been on the hunt for original programming, and Showtime, whose new entertainment president David Nevins shepherded Arrested Development when he ran Imagine TV and served as an executive producer on the cult series. 20th TV declined comment.

According to attendees at the panel, where Hurwitz was joined by series stars Will Arnett, Jason Bateman, Portia de Rossi, Michael Cera, Tony Hale, Jeffrey Tambor, David Cross, Alia Shawkat and Jessica Walter, Hurwitz laid out his plan to have each installment focus on a different member of the Bluth clan. Bateman later weighed in on the announcement on Twitter. “It’s true,” he wrote. “We will do 10 episodes and the movie. Probably shoot them all together next summer for a release in early ’13. VERY excited!” That would mean launching the follow-up limited series on the 10th anniversary of the original, which premiered in 2003 and ran on Fox for 3 seasons.

Setsuna 10-08-2011 11:50 PM

Seriously? I'd be all over it. GM still looks exactly the same. Maeby (sp?) probably would too. I always found her attractive.

NJChiefsFan 10-09-2011 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 7977922)
Seriously? I'd be all over it. GM still looks exactly the same. Maeby (sp?) probably would too. I always found her attractive.

Cera will be able to play the GM role at the age he was back then and you wouldn't even question it.

Buck 10-09-2011 08:04 PM

Q

Skyy God 01-10-2013 11:13 AM

Comes out in May, bitches.

http://mashable.com/2013/01/09/arres...velopment-may/

cosmo20002 01-10-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 9302818)

Finally.

"Season four will consist of 14 episodes, up from 10 as originally planned, and the entire batch will reportedly be released at once".

Interesting.

Shag 01-10-2013 02:14 PM

4 bonus episodes? Awesome! Can't wait...

bowener 01-10-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9303348)
Finally.

"Season four will consist of 14 episodes, up from 10 as originally planned, and the entire batch will reportedly be released at once".

Interesting.

Might as well. Not like they get ad revenue by drawing it out over 14 weeks. I guess they could get more subscriptions if they made the show last 3 months though.

NJChiefsFan 01-10-2013 09:25 PM

I almost don't like them all coming out at once. I'm gonna blow my load in one day. Would like to savor it but I don't see how I can get myself to do that.

Bump 01-10-2013 11:32 PM

I just blue myself!

rocknrolla 01-10-2013 11:39 PM

It's the only reason I have kept Netfix. The Spacey show looks pretty good also.

Pitt Gorilla 01-11-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9304344)
I almost don't like them all coming out at once. I'm gonna blow my load in one day. Would like to savor it but I don't see how I can get myself to do that.

I have pop pop in the attic.

Baby Lee 01-11-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9304754)

The fact that you call it that . . . .

big nasty kcnut 01-11-2013 01:11 AM

Oh come on.

Baby Lee 01-11-2013 01:27 AM

ROFL ROFL - several pop pop references in 30 rock with Will Arnett

CoMoChief 01-11-2013 08:38 AM

Hope they bring back the cornballer

CoMoChief 01-11-2013 08:38 AM

CHICKENS DON'T CLAP!!!!

RockChalk 01-11-2013 10:21 AM

I know that Michael (Bateman) will be the only regular who appears in all 14 episodes. This is also supposed to lead up to a feature length film.

Ebolapox 01-11-2013 03:51 PM

DIFFERENT!

Ebolapox 01-11-2013 03:51 PM

mister F

NJChiefsFan 01-12-2013 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9304754)

How many times do I have to tell this kid chicken wings?!

Setsuna 01-13-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9307519)
How many times do I have to tell this kid chicken wings?!

GM is just so awesome. As for Maeby...I'd PIIHB.

Baby Lee 01-13-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9315215)
GM is just so awesome. As for Maeby...I'd PIIHB.

http://mlblogsthebrooklyntrolleyblog...2/peterose.jpg

CoMoChief 01-14-2013 07:38 AM

For British eyes only.

i dont care what ppl say...she's the hottest reerun on the planet LMAO

Setsuna 01-14-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9316170)

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL :clap::clap::clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9316631)
For British eyes only.

i dont care what ppl say...she's the hottest reerun on the planet LMAO

This is true. I'd wear my clothes inside out any day of the week.

Tribal Warfare 05-13-2013 01:51 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C5ddjzGft0k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cosmo20002 05-21-2013 04:21 PM

A couple of interesting things in here.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...ign=newsletter

Pitt Gorilla 05-24-2013 08:57 PM

How did this show fail? I began watching religiously about 3/4 of the way through season 1. It took one episode to hook me. Later, I recall setting up my VCR (yes, vcd) to record the final 4-6 episodes of season 3, which were buried opposite the Olympic Opening Ceremonies.

I mean, WTF?

Baby Lee 05-24-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9707793)
How did this show fail? I began watching religiously about 3/4 of the way through season 1. It took one episode to hook me. Later, I recall setting up my VCR (yes, vcd) to record the final 4-6 episodes of season 3, which were buried opposite the Olympic Opening Ceremonies.

I mean, WTF?

It wasn't 'turn off your brain' entertainment.

The jokes are densely packed and not always obvious. And you're not getting [whether 'getting' as understanding, or as even observing] the jokes, it's a disjointed mess.

Also, the original aired pre- the days of internet chatting, GIFing up, and social media, all of which would serve as an outlet for water cooler talk taken worldwide, or where the jokes some might have missed are explained.

Mama Hip Rockets 05-24-2013 10:13 PM

Buster is so awesome.

NJChiefsFan 05-24-2013 11:28 PM

FOX advertised the show like it was a goof ball show. So if you watched you didn't get what you wanted, and if you wanted a clever show you didn't watch because the advertisement didn't show it. I started from the beginning because I happened to be watching the show prior to the pilot.

It also happened right before DVD seasons got big. If it had started a few years later, it could have developed the college following during the show instead of after. It also was one of the first American sitcoms to go away from the laugh track IIRC.

Pitt Gorilla 05-24-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9708126)
FOX advertised the show like it was a goof ball show. So if you watched you didn't get what you wanted, and if you wanted a clever show you didn't watch because the advertisement didn't show it. I started from the beginning because I happened to be watching the show prior to the pilot.

It also happened right before DVD seasons got big. If it had started a few years later, it could have developed the college following during the show instead of after. It also was one of the first American sitcoms to go away from the laugh track IIRC.

I can't believe shows still use a laugh track.

cosmo20002 05-25-2013 04:56 PM

8 hours til new AD (2am Central). I'll have to stay up to watch at least one episode. Might be hard to stop at just one though.

They are anticipating huge audiences for this--probably most on the West since it will only be midnight. Hope the system doesn't crash.

cosmo20002 05-25-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 9708011)
Buster is so awesome.

Love that scene where the kids are complaining about their mom and Buster lets loose and pretty much every word is bleeped out. The others are just sitting there in shock.

Sure-Oz 05-25-2013 05:59 PM

stoked for this but i need to re-start the series first. forgot most of what went on

kcxiv 05-25-2013 10:21 PM

looks like Netflix put it up already.

i think its rolling out slowly to some people, cause its not up for me, but others are watching.

Buck 05-25-2013 10:25 PM

Oh **** let me check.

Buck 05-25-2013 10:27 PM

Not available for me on PS3.

Will check Xbox 360 now.

Edit: Not available on 360 either.

Deberg_1990 05-25-2013 10:30 PM

Not available on my iPad yet.

Buck 05-25-2013 10:31 PM

I'm staying awake to watch at least one ep tonight.

kcxiv 05-25-2013 10:32 PM

i think they roll that shit out in sections. may be for long time customers first blah blah, because at midnight they are gonig to get HAMMERED

Buck 05-25-2013 10:35 PM

Maybe east coast got it at midnight instead of 2 am like they said.

Buck 05-26-2013 12:58 AM

1 minute!

Ultra Peanut 05-26-2013 01:00 AM

I'm not exaggerating when I say this is one of the most exciting, giddy, surreal moments of my life.

Buck 05-26-2013 01:00 AM

ITS ON!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

teedubya 05-26-2013 01:02 AM

Due to all of this hype, I'm now watching this series... I'm about halfway through season 2. :-)

Buck 05-26-2013 01:03 AM

Season 4 Spoiler
Spoiler!

Buck 05-26-2013 01:05 AM

Showstealer Pro Trial Version ROFL

AD is so Meta.

Red Brooklyn 05-26-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9709895)
Due to all of this hype, I'm now watching this series... I'm about halfway through season 2. :-)

I'm 13 episodes into season one.

KcMizzou 05-26-2013 03:37 PM

Just finished the 3rd ep.

Lindsay's Thanksgiving miracle was hilarious.

Tribal Warfare 05-26-2013 04:06 PM

'Arrested Development': Ron Howard on his guest spot, playing the narrator and... Bluth holiday specials?

Ron Howard isn’t just the folksy narrator who ties it all together on Arrested Development — he’s one of the show’s executive producers and biggest champions who helped bring the 2003-2006 cult comedy back to life. (Netflix will unleash fifteen new episodes at 3:01 am ET/midnight PT.) “Having been around enough shows, I just recognized that there was something so entirely unique about this combination of a brilliant cast and a creator/showrunner [Mitchell Hurwitz] who was at his very best writing for those characters,” says the Imagine Entertainment co-founder and former Happy Days star, who has directed such films as Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind. “I just lamented its passing in a big way. So I was always interested in trying to fan the flame.” Here, Howard warms up on a variety of Arrested topics.

On one early possibility he discussed with Hurwitz for a reboot of Arrested
Quote:

Ron Howard:“I talked about the fact that if it’s not a film, maybe on cable you could do holiday specials — Thanksgiving with the Bluths, Halloween with the Bluths. I was just kind of spitballing to keep the idea alive.”
On how Arrested Development came in handy while he was working on Hillary Clinton’s 2008 presidential campaign at the Iowa caucuses
Quote:

Howard:“They do this first phase of voting and then, once your candidate is counted out, if you’re a delegate you then get to choose a second choice. So I’m standing around and you’re allowed to lobby these people, and somebody says ‘Hey, what about the Arrested Development movie?’ A couple of college guys. They were Joe Biden delegates. I said ‘I don’t know. We’ve all gotten kind of busy….’ And, I said, ‘What do you think if Joe doesn’t make it this go-round? Will you jump to Hillary?’ And they said, ‘Well, I don’t know….’ We talked about that a little bit. And I circled around. I’d done about as much lobbying as I was willing to do and these guys waved me over. And this young guy, a big guy, said to me, ‘Okay, here’s the deal. You don’t have to promise the Arrested Development movie, but I want you to promise me that you’re going to call Mitch Hurwitz and try to get him to focus on it. And if you’ll promise that you’ll do that, then we’ll go over to Hillary.’ And I said, ‘You’ve got my word on it. If you go to Hillary tomorrow morning, I’m calling Mitch Hurwitz and I’ll try to light a fire.’ And they did. They went over to Hillary, I gave them a little nod and I was good to my word. The next day I called Mitch.”
On the Netflix deal for new episodes, which came about in 2011 after Howard crossed paths with the company’s chief content officer Ted Sarandos, who was impressed with the show’s streaming/DVD rental performance, and arranged a meeting with Hurwitz
Quote:

Howard:“It seemed like the very boldest thing you could do was to try this on Netflix. And that’s kind of the nature of the show, you know? I mean, it’s all been kind of an experiment. Tonally, it was something that was new territory when we began, and there was just something that felt right about this. And look, the fact that it was coming back did have everything to do with fans, and it was most apparent statistically and most quantifiable on Netflix.”
On Hurwitz working around the limited availability of his actors by constructing the new season as the prologue to a movie, in which each episode spotlights one Bluth (with guest appearances by other family members)
Quote:

Howard:“It was viable only if Mitch was really ready to kill himself because this is not only a writing feat, it’s a pretty staggering logistical feat. When I went into the writers’ room and saw the way he had broken down all the episodes, it was a little bit like a moment in a movie I directed, A Beautiful Mind, because literally there were arrows drawn and cards and little pieces of tape and Post-its all over the place. But when Mitch took me through what he was going to do with all the characters, weaving in and out of each other’s lives, and catching us up yet propelling along hilarious new stories… it was an extraordinary storytelling feat.”
On the feel of this season versus previous ones
Quote:

Howard:“Satisfyingly familiar. But it’s not like a reunion episode of a TV show. It feels fresh at the same time. So that’s what’s sort of stunning about it. It’s like when somebody does a really great sequel to a movie that was good the first time. It’s not a remake. I think it’s going to be really satisfying for fans. The other little thing is that while each one is roughly the size of an episode, he doesn’t have to cut it to 22 minutes and 15 seconds or whatever you get for a network show. They’re more like the director’s cut. So I think they’re a little funnier because things breathe just a little bit more and yet there’s still that dense volume of jokes that work in myriad ways, whether it’s physical comedy, verbal wisecracks, one-liners or reference jokes, or using the narrator or flashbacks to be cinematically funny and entertaining.

On how the new episodes might help the prospects of the movie
Quote:

Howard:“I would love to see [a movie] happen. It’s something we’ve all wanted. And I think in the same way that the fans sort of got the show back, if there’s a movie, it’s going to be because they prove that it’s incumbent on a studio to believe in it. I was talking to Portia [de Rossi] about this, and Jeffrey Tambor and Jason [Bateman], and in separate conversations, everybody’s just saying, ‘God, we miss these characters and it was so much fun to do them, to play them again.’ And they love Mitch. I think what everybody’s saying is: Any chance we have to play these characters again in the future, we’re going to try to find a way to say yes to that. It’s all a bit of an experiment, and I think we’ll know a lot more in another month or so.”
On returning as a guest star in the new season
Quote:

Howard:“It’s rather involved, but Ron Howard definitely has an interest in the Bluths. And it turns out to be a little more complicated than Ron expected it to be when you get involved with the Bluths…. Most of my scenes were with Jason Bateman, which was great because I was actually pretty nervous and kinda rusty at first, and Bateman is one of these guys — a little like Tom Hanks or something — it all seems like it’s just the easiest thing in the world [for him]. It was honestly fun and really soothing to get to work with Jason. I had some nice stuff with David Cross as well. And Brian [Grazer, Imagine co-founder]. It was really fun.”
On how he got back into character as the show’s narrator
Quote:

Howard:“I did a few warm-ups, a few me-me-me-me’s. I did have to find it again. I always thought the narrator was a guy who would do this sort of contemporary psychological documentary series about the Bluths and then the next day he’d be booked to do a National Geographic Lifestyles of the Indigenous Peoples of the Amazon Basin. So I tried to be always kind of clinical about it. Mitch always likes the narrator to become a little judgmental or cop a little bit of an attitude — be a little insulted by something that he sees or hears or become a little defensive — and I think that’s pretty funny. I love doing it. It’s a blast. You’d have a hard time ripping the microphone away from me.”

KcMizzou 05-26-2013 04:53 PM

MST3K!

Setsuna 05-26-2013 06:03 PM

Tomorrow right?

KcMizzou 05-26-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9711309)
Tomorrow right?

Eh? Today. Now.

TrickyNicky 05-26-2013 06:33 PM

Watched the first 4. Other than a noticeable lack of much GOB, the humor is still quite good.

cosmo20002 05-26-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9711003)
Just finished the 3rd ep.

Lindsay's Thanksgiving miracle was hilarious.

Lindsay really had some work done. She really looks different. At first I thought it was a joke or they were using a different actress.

Bump 05-26-2013 10:06 PM

June 5th is when I'm gonna start watching this. I haven't had xbox live in about 6 months so neither have I had netflix, since that is THE netflix watching machine. Gay you have to pay for xbox gold to get it, but I'm sure that was their agreement.

June 5th is my last day of Direct TV. I decided to say **** them, they keep raising prices, it's $80 per month for basic cable. So I did some math, do I need basic cable that badly? no I don't. All in all, this move will have saved me about $800 after a year. So, it's good enough for me. DTV offered me free sunday ticket this year to stay if I signed another 1 year agreement. I told them if they removed the 1 year agreement, I will stay at least until the football season is over and probably more because I will have appreciated that, but they wouldn't do it without the contract so I'm like "well, it's up to you, without the contract I stay, with it, you lose me." They chose to lose me. **** em.

Alex Smith 4Ever 05-27-2013 05:10 AM

Episode 1 was awful but I watched through 7 yesterday and I'm really liking it

kc rush 05-27-2013 06:41 AM

Watched them all. Left me wanting more.

I'll probably work through them again to see what I missed the first time around.

Rausch 05-27-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9709898)
Showstealer Pro Trial Version ROFL

AD is so Meta.

I kept seeing that.

WTF?...

Rausch 05-27-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9711762)
Lindsay really had some work done. She really looks different. At first I thought it was a joke or they were using a different actress.

In a lot of the shots she doesn't even look like the same actress...

kc rush 05-27-2013 09:41 AM

Steve Holt looked like hell too. Steve Holt!

teedubya 05-27-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 9711375)
Watched the first 4. Other than a noticeable lack of much GOB, the humor is still quite good.

I read that the magic starts in the 7th episode of Season 4.

teedubya 05-27-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9712028)
I kept seeing that.

WTF?...

They couldn't legally show the back episodes previously owned by FOX... so whenever they do a flashback.... they show them with the watermark. LMAO

Pitt Gorilla 05-27-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith 4Ever (Post 9712002)
Episode 1 was awful

no.

KcMizzou 05-27-2013 03:24 PM

In episode 9...

Spoiler!

LMAOLMAO

KcMizzou 05-27-2013 04:13 PM

Lucille's number... heh.

Spoiler!

Buck 05-27-2013 06:24 PM

Wow the first GOB episode is freakin hilarious.

CoMoChief 05-27-2013 10:48 PM

This has been some funny shit. The overall comedy is still there.

teedubya 05-28-2013 04:55 PM

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/bYKLi1lJ5Ka/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Baby Lee 05-30-2013 07:34 PM

Awesomesauce

http://recurringdevelopments.com/#_

Hootie 05-30-2013 07:37 PM

I've been underwhelmed thus far.

KcMizzou 05-30-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnecessary drama (Post 9720064)
I've been underwhelmed thus far.

It wasn't quite the same, but it was still pretty great. All in all, I'm happy with it.

Pitt Gorilla 05-30-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9720057)

Wow. Outstanding.

teedubya 05-30-2013 10:23 PM

There had better be a season 5 or a movie to tie it all together, because it's not quite finished, IMO.

KcMizzou 05-30-2013 10:25 PM

Google "George Maharis" Guess what he was arrested for....

kc rush 05-31-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9720844)

:LOL:

Javabean 05-31-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9720057)

Very nice. Can't wait to see Season 4 on it.

Javabean 05-31-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9720836)
There had better be a season 5 or a movie to tie it all together, because it's not quite finished, IMO.

Yeah, it reminded me of a Bret Easton Ellis novel, where it didn't end so much as just stop. I guess they're trying to generate public pressure for another season or movie, but I would've preferred they wrapped up more of the story lines and drove to a bigger finish.

cosmo20002 05-31-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9720844)

Very clever, considering why he didn't like his name.