ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek 12 Gets Release Date (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221538)

keg in kc 12-11-2012 07:21 PM

I always liked the Doomsday Machine episode too. Maybe in part because (I think) it was a level on the Star Trek game I had on my GameBoy.

http://coolrom.com/screenshots/gbc/S...nniversary.gif http://coolrom.com/screenshots/gbc/S...%20%282%29.gif

Hammock Parties 12-11-2012 08:59 PM

I could never beat the asteroid level that had the Tholian ships coming at you at the same time...and maybe Klingons too. Enterprise always blew the **** up. I don't think I EVER beat that ****ing game.

Hammock Parties 12-11-2012 09:04 PM

JFC. Just watching this makes me want to hurl a gameboy.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/umpgN8-zsZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chiefspants 12-11-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9200544)
No, I DO NOT care how it relates to the TOS.

I care that there is a script and plot that actually makes sense, which is something I do not know if Orci, Kurtzman or Lindelof can deliver, based on their well-documented prior failures.

One could make an argument that Abrams needs to be added to this list as well.

*Despite the plot holes, I loveloveloved the reboot.

whoman69 12-12-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9200398)
Fortunately Star Trek has never really been particularly high-concept, hard science fiction.

(I say this as a long, long time fan).

Not that it hasn't had its moments of greatness.

Its never sold itself as hard core sci-fi. Its always been a story driven work. Hard science fiction has never really had a popular audience.

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 9201280)
One could make an argument that Abrams needs to be added to this list as well.

*Despite the plot holes, I loveloveloved the reboot.

I never watched Alias but I heard it was a bit of a cluster**** as well. Ambiguous until the end.

I think Lindelof played a role in that as well.

Red Brooklyn 12-12-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9202811)
I never watched Alias but I heard it was a bit of a cluster**** as well. Ambiguous until the end.

From what I recall he wanted to get a job writing for Alias. Met JJ and that lead to Lost. But I don't think Damon ever had any actual involvement with Alias.

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9202832)
From what I recall he wanted to get a job writing for Alias. Met JJ and that lead to Lost. But I don't think Damon ever had any actual involvement with Alias.

You're right. He went from Nash Bridges to Crossing Jordan to Lost.

He still sucks ass.

Red Brooklyn 12-12-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9202843)
You're right. He went from Nash Bridges to Crossing Jordan to Lost.

He still sucks ass.

LMAO

keg in kc 12-12-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9202811)

Alias (as I remember it) was kind of a weird bird. It actually started really strong then gradually devolved. It seemed like the more they got into Rambaldi mythos, the more the show went from "cool" to just kind of "weird". The spy stuff was good. Focusing on Sydney and her life and be a double agent was great. The davinici meets nostradamus stuff? Notsomuch. For me at least. And I'm somebody who usually eats up that kind of thing.

Red Brooklyn 12-12-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9202869)
Alias (as I remember it) was kind of a weird bird. It actually started really strong then gradually devolved. It seemed like the more they got into Rambaldi mythos, the more the show went from "cool" to just kind of "weird". The spy stuff was good. Focusing on Sydney and her life and be a double agent was great. The davinici meets nostradamus stuff? Notsomuch. For me at least. And I'm somebody who usually eats up that kind of thing.

I've only watched the first couple of episodes of Alias on Netflix. But now I'm really interested in watching it. I had no idea it got weird like that.

Interesting...

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9202869)

I've not bothered to watch for the very reason you stated: It "devolves" into something odd.

That's why I'd never recommend purchasing the Lost DVD collection. I'd feel like a dick because the final season was a kick in the face. Why put friends and family through that?

Red Brooklyn 12-12-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9202952)
I've not bothered to watch for the very reason you stated: It "devolves" into something odd.

That's why I'd never recommend purchasing the Lost DVD collection. I'd feel like a dick because the final season was a kick in the face. Why put friends and family through that?

Because maybe friends and family feel like I do, that the show as a staggering success from beginning to end? :)

Maybe they'd have a different opinion than you.

I'd prefer to let people decide for themselves. When people ask me if I'd recommend Lost, I tell them, yes. But with the caveat that a lot of people didn't like the ending. I tell them it's a character driven show, and that the ride is well worth it, regardless.

DaneMcCloud 12-12-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9203012)
Because maybe friends and family feel like I do, that the show as a staggering success from beginning to end? :)

Maybe they'd have a different opinion than you.

I'd prefer to let people decide for themselves. When people ask me if I'd recommend Lost, I tell them, yes. But with the caveat that a lot of people didn't like the ending. I tell them it's a character driven show, and that the ride is well worth it, regardless.

Sorry Dude, I'm not going to recommend to friends and family that they should spend $229 dollars on Lost Series Collection so that they can "decide for themselves" that it's a huge pile of steaming whale shit.

Red Brooklyn 12-12-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9203018)
Sorry Dude, I'm not going to recommend that people spend $125 dollars on Lost so that they can "decide for themselves" that it's a huge pile of steaming whale shit.

But that's just it, maybe they won't. Maybe it'll mean a lot to them and they'll understand the show and love it.