ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Was there bullying at your high school? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267696)

-King- 12-15-2012 05:47 PM

Was there bullying at your high school?

There's obviously a lot of bully talk the past few months and it's only going to increase after yesterday. So I was trying to think back to my high school days to remember if there was bullying and I honestly don't remember any. Obviously there were fights and people called each other names, but as far as real bullying? Not that I can think of. There were no jocks who just ganged up on nerds. There weren't groups of people who beat up and constantly harassed one kid everyday. None of the stuff you always hear and read about in the media these days.

I can't even think how bullying would have happened at my school. During passing period, there would usually be a few teachers standing at their door just monitoring the hallway so kids wouldn't get picked on there. Hell, there was a gay guy who wore lipstick and lip gloss to school and as long as he didn't hit on any guys, no one gave 2 shits enough to bully him.

I don't know, I may have just been oblivious to it all but I just don't think it happened in my school.

kcxiv 12-15-2012 05:56 PM

i used to roll with the thugs back then, and to be honest, we wouldnt have let that happened, not to people who really cant defend themselves.

Hell, i beat the shit out of some guy once when i was young for kicking at cat. I wont stand for any kiind of bullying nonsense.

Otter 12-15-2012 05:58 PM

Middle school was brutal. High school, no.

ZepSinger 12-15-2012 06:02 PM

There was some at mine (early 70's in Britt IA), but retaliation on the scale seen all too often nowadays was absolutely unthinkable back then.

MichaelH 12-15-2012 06:02 PM

In my high school, it was the football jocks. They participated in the majority of the bullying.

-King- 12-15-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelH (Post 9211089)
In my high school, it was the football jocks. They participated in the majority of the bullying.

That's what I don't get. Were they thought of as cool when they did it?

At my school, there were no cool points to gain from beating up some nerd just because he was a nerd. People would look at you like "WTF are you doing?"

beach tribe 12-15-2012 06:05 PM

I didn't do it to a huge extent but I did enough to the point of having a lot of guilt about it.
Don't even know if what I did was bullying or rather just being really cruel.
To my credit I apologized to 99% of the people I made fun of later in life and was forgiven for it.
Still feel bad about it though.
I was QB of the HS football team and kind of railed on what I thought were losers back then. I'm the loser for doing it.

Otter 12-15-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 9211095)
I didn't do it to a huge extent but I did enough to the point of having a lot of guilt about it.
Don't even know if what I did was bullying or rather just being really cruel.
To my credit I apologized to 99% of the people I made fun of later in life and was forgiven for it.
Still feel bad about it though.
I was QB of the HS football team and kind of railed on what I thought were losers back then. I'm the loser for doing it.

I was a twerp until high school and took my share of shit. Filled out one summer (is this getting gay?) and started wrestling and been a computer geek the whole time. I've always been very empathetic to the bully victims.

Hammock Parties 12-15-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 9211077)

This.

I got it pretty bad in grade school.

But I learned to stand up for myself one day when a swirly attempt was made on my head.

BlackHelicopters 12-15-2012 06:12 PM

Junior high was worse than high school.

ClevelandBronco 12-15-2012 06:13 PM

Hell, yes. Rampant bullying. We bullied each other constantly with whatever means were at our disposal. The strong bullied the weak. The cool bullied the uncool. The beautiful bullied the ugly. The big bullied the small. The smart bullied the dull. The well-off bullied the poor.

Strangely, no one ever got shot.

Brock 12-15-2012 06:14 PM

It has never not existed. Not so much in hs, but jh for sure.

Easy 6 12-15-2012 06:14 PM

There was, but nothing really like what we're seeing these days.

It seems that many kids today are very de-sensitized.

KChiefer 12-15-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 9211077)

Yeah, in middleschool I bullied and was bullied. Became buddies with some of these same people in HS.

There was a lot of Underclassmen hazing my HS though.

Bob Dole 12-15-2012 06:17 PM

Of course there was, but people didn't whine about it and the media didn't mount a campaign. It was a part of growing up, and you learned to deal with it. But that was before the pussification of America.