ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What's going to happen to our offense when AS, Solari, and company are gone? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133039)

chiefsfan1963 01-05-2006 01:15 PM

What's going to happen to our offense when AS, Solari, and company are gone?

Just curious. Looking at all the news it looks like CP is going to clean house! With Vermiel's departure he has decided not to continue with the direction the team was going. Our offense has been in the Top 3 the last 5 years and our D appears to have improved and both would continue to improve next year with some additional talent added either through free agency and the upcoming draft.

With the upcoming massive changes in our coaching staff, it could prove costly next year to the Chiefs resulting in the team taking a large step back despite the talent pool we have.

New coach, new philosophy, new staff, new everything! The lack of consistency could be very detrimental to the players.

Promoting AS to the HC seems to be the smartest move right now and it will give us the best chance to be very competitive next year and beyond. If we don't choose this direction, we could see more frustration for another 5 years!

This is not the time to pull the rip cord. Why give up draft picks now when what we need most is good young potential franchise players to develop for the future?

Thoughts?

jspchief 01-05-2006 01:16 PM

My guess is the 8 pro bolwers we have on offense are going to instantly become inept.

Mr. Laz 01-05-2006 01:17 PM

what kind worries me is that Herm Edward might clean house on the offensive side of the ball and actually KEEP some of the guys on defense.

siberian khatru 01-05-2006 01:19 PM

Everyone just assumes that Al Saunders would be a good head coach. Just like it was simple for Gunther to move from DC to HC, so we could keep that 90s defense intact. All of a sudden, HC responsibilities triggered the worst of Gun's personality tics. He starts diagramming seating charts at 3 in the morning.

the Talking Can 01-05-2006 01:19 PM

Solari, hopefully, isn't going anywhere.

FringeNC 01-05-2006 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
My guess is the 8 pro bolwers we have on offense are going to instantly become inept.

Have Gun remained in charge, do you think we would have had the best offense in football over the past 5 years? Just asking...

You make sound as if coaching doesn't matter at all....

jspchief 01-05-2006 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
what kind worries me is that Herm Edward might clean house on the offensive side of the ball and actually KEEP some of the guys on defense.

Yea. It's perfectly reasonable to think that an experienced NFL coach would "clean house" on a top 2 offense, while clinging to a #32 defense.

Mr. Laz 01-05-2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru
Everyone just assumes that Al Saunders would be a good head coach

i don't think everyone is assuming that at all.

people hope that al saunders can maintain the offense while changing it up on defense.

are you assuming that Herm edwards would be able to maintain our current offense?

hope ≠ assume

Mr. Laz 01-05-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
Yea. It's perfectly reasonable to think that an experienced NFL coach would "clean house" on a top 2 offense, while clinging to a #32 defense.

i think that if Herm edwards doesn't bring Donnie henderson with him there is an extremely good chance that Edwards take Carl's suggestion to keep gunther cunningham.

jspchief 01-05-2006 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC
Have Gun remained in charge, do you think we would have had the best offense in football over the past 5 years? Just asking...

You make sound as if coaching doesn't matter at all....

You're jumping to conclusions if that's what you think I'm saying.

Do I think Gun would have built this offense? Of course not.

Do I think that an offense with 8 pro-bowlers on it is going to crumble with a new coaching situation? No fucking way.

If this offense begins to falter, it will be due to age, not coaching. It won't take a genious to move the ball when working with 3 pro-bowl O-linemen, 2 Pro-bowl RBs, 1 pro-bowl QB, and a pro-bowl TE. Will we continue to be #1 in the league? Maybe not. but I don't think we're just going to start sucking because Saunders is gone.

jiveturkey 01-05-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
i think that if Herm edwards doesn't bring Donnie henderson with him there is an extremely good chance that Edwards take Carl's suggestion to keep gunther cunningham.

Even if he keeps Gun I would think that the rest of the DV Defensive Clowns would be gone and Gun would be able to pick his own assistants.

I guess we are now in an assumtion based debate.

Your turn. :)

siberian khatru 01-05-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
i don't think everyone is assuming that at all.

people hope that al saunders can maintain the offense while changing it up on defense.

are you assuming that Herm edwards would be able to maintain our current offense?

hope ≠ assume

I think that's exactly what people are assuming -- or overlooking. That HC duties are different and they sometimes change people. Many coordinators have failed as HC (and many have succeeded).

"people hope that al saunders can maintain the offense while changing it up on defense." Exactly why Gunther was promoted -- just slide on over to a different chair, all the strengths remain, all the weaknesses improve. Simple. Continuity.

I'm not assuming anything about Herm. But as others have stated here and elsewhere, it would be a blinding act of stupidity and hubris on both Herm's and Carl's part to scrap one of the league's best offenses while maintaining its worst defense.

jiveturkey 01-05-2006 01:28 PM

It's possible that a new 0-Cord would allow Trent to call his owns plays from time to time instead of taking time outs all of the time.

This is of course another assumtion.

jspchief 01-05-2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz

Ok. It's still a leap in logic to say we're going to clean house on the offense.

You might as well brace yourself for us keeping most of our current defensive personnell, at least for '06. This team has always been on a two year cycle in terms of FA signings, so any changes are likely going to have to come from draft picks and developed bench players.

Hammock Parties 01-05-2006 01:30 PM

I hope Trent Green is smart enough to override Herm Edwards when it's 3rd and 3 from the 30 yard line and actually run a play.