ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto ***Official Car and Gearhead Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291377)

KC native 03-18-2015 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 11390565)
I thought about that, but I've never welded before. Welding in new motor mounts sounds like not something I want to do as a first-timer.

Have a buddy that welds help or take it to a shop for that part.

My dad is a highly skilled welder and I told him I wanted to do that and like you I've never welded, he said, "That is simple junkyard welding. Just practice on a piece before doing the welds. Since it doesn't have to pass an x-ray test or look pretty, it's pretty hard to **** it up."

BigRedChief 03-18-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtmike (Post 11390310)
White Mustang.

Those are bad ass little cars. Back when I worked, a buddy was big into Mustangs. He built a 10 second pig out of one.

His birthday cake & 600 HP horse. He likes Mustangs.

I loved my Mustang. Coolest car I ever owned. At least for another 8 weeks. Pic is after 144K miles and 10 years.
https://scontent-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...4e&oe=55B80F26

rtmike 03-18-2015 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 11390599)

My dad is a highly skilled welder and I told him I wanted to do that and like you I've never welded, he said, "That is simple junkyard welding. Just practice on a piece before doing the welds. Since it doesn't have to pass an x-ray test or look pretty, it's pretty hard to **** it up."

Anyone ever check to see if someone was making a bolt in motor mount? For my Charger I used an outfit that specialized in them.

KC native 03-18-2015 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtmike (Post 11390727)
Anyone ever check to see if someone was making a bolt in motor mount? For my Charger I used an outfit that specialized in them.

To do the swap, the motor mount has to be moved several inches. I don't think it's possible to have a bolt in motor mount in that situation.

Radar Chief 03-18-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 11390599)

Yea, but there are a lot of things to be considered before striking an arc.
You don’t want the engine sitting too high in the chassis, creates handling and hood clearance issues, too low and it’s hitting the oil pan on everything, have to consider clearance front and back (firewall and radiator), the engine will probably have to be offset about an inch to the passenger side to clear the steering shaft and it has to be tilted back at about 6-8 degrees for consistent oil flow.
If a pair of bolt in adaptor mounts from a place like Advanced Adapters is available that’s the route to take because positioning and angles have already been worked out for you.

Radar Chief 03-18-2015 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 11390729)
To do the swap, the motor mount has to be moved several inches. I don't think it's possible to have a bolt in motor mount in that situation.

Stacey David on Gearz did this very thing, LS into a Miata.
If anyone is truly interested back episodes are on YouTube.

KC native 03-18-2015 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 11390761)
Yea, but there are a lot of things to be considered before striking an arc.
You don’t want the engine sitting too high in the chassis, creates handling and hood clearance issues, too low and it’s hitting the oil pan on everything, have to consider clearance front and back (firewall and radiator), the engine will probably have to be offset about an inch to the passenger side to clear the steering shaft and it has to be tilted back at about 6-8 degrees for consistent oil flow.
If a pair of bolt in adaptor mounts from a place like Advanced Adapters is available that’s the route to take because positioning and angles have already been worked out for you.

There are a couple outfits that make the motor mounts and tell you where they have to be installed (there's a Ford version and LS version).

MIAdragon 03-18-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 11390565)
I thought about that, but I've never welded before. Welding in new motor mounts sounds like not something I want to do as a first-timer.

There are bolt in kits but you're looking at atleast 10k in swap parts.

Perineum Ripper 03-18-2015 04:39 PM

So do you think they make adapters to mount a LS into my sweet Ford Fiesta

ModSocks 03-18-2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 11390898)
There are bolt in kits but you're looking at atleast 10k in swap parts.

This.

LSx swaps into Miatas and Rx-7's/8's are pretty popular. There's probably conversion kits out there for them.

We just sold a specialty part to a race team that swapped an LS into a Hyundai Genesis.

Marcellus 03-18-2015 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11390600)
I loved my Mustang. Coolest car I ever owned. At least for another 8 weeks. Pic is after 144K miles and 10 years.
https://scontent-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...4e&oe=55B80F26

Is that thing 4-wheel drive or something? Get some drop on it for God's sake. :p

BigRedChief 03-18-2015 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 11390935)
Is that thing 4-wheel drive or something? Get some drop on it for God's sake. :p

Okay, car n00b here I don't know what this means. What is getting a drop?

TrebMaxx 03-18-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11390958)

Lowering it. :thumb:

Hamwallet 03-18-2015 06:15 PM

http://youtu.be/0ZPbeEUWZ6s

Radar Chief 03-18-2015 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11390958)

LMAO