ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Going All In - I think we draft Connor Shaw. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283067)

Dante84 04-17-2014 04:56 PM

Going All In - I think we draft Connor Shaw.

Dude scrambles like Smith.

Dude misses some throws, but they are "smart" misses, like Smith does. You know, where its incomplete, but its incomplete because he puts it where its either the WR catching it or no one catching it.

Andy Reid likes tough and risk-averse quarterbacks, and that is Connor Shaw.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WhG_BwqfCzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dante84 04-17-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Positives: Excellent character kid with great leadership skills. Won a ton of games at South Carolina. Plays with a chip on his shoulder and has great knowledge of the game. Is a coaches son. Understands all concepts of the passing game and has underrated mobility.

Negatives: Has very average arm talent for an NFL QB. Shaw Lacks the height and size that most teams look for when evaluating potential pro prospects. Connor Shaw will lock on to targets at various times, and sometimes will make poor decisions with the football.

Overall: Connor Shaw is widely viewed as a late round-undrafted free agent type prospect. Shaw has average arm talent, and isn’t the kind of QB that scouts view as a long term starter. That being said he’s a very heady player, that can be a very good backup for a long time. Kind of reminds me of former Penn State QB Matt Mcgloin. Really competitive kid that gives his all 100 percent of the time. I see Shaw being picked in the 7th round and being a solid backup for many years in the NFL. What he lacks in physical talent he makes up for in his knowledge of the game and work ethic.
http://ourlads.com/ncaa-football-dep...nor-shaw/91892

Dante84 04-17-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

SCOUTING REPORT:
Connor Shaw measures a bit short in comparison to the “norm” of today’s pro QB. Shaw has a live arm and excellent mobility skills. Arm strength has improved from last season. Coach Steve Spurrier has made it known quite loudly that Shaw is the best QB South Carolina has ever had. Shaw’s decision-making has jumped in maturity this past season and the single INT on his 2013 record is no fluke. Working exclusively out of the shotgun, Shaw ran Coach Spurrier’s multiple scheme offense that maintained balance between run and pass, utilized run-option concepts. The SoCar passer is urgent in his drop-backs, with solid ball carriage and a quick release.

A knock on Shaw is his penchant to lock in on his initial target and failing to run progressions if covered, opting to tuck it and go. Rarely is Shaw seen with his head toggling side-to-side in search of an alternate receiver, and his usual check-downs are directed to his running backs. To his credit the 2013 edition of wideouts at South Carolina were not overly impressive or creative. When delivering the football Shaw has an effective high point of release and most times does so with excellent footwork, good setting and little wasted motion. There is no wind-up in his delivery and just a slight arm draw-back when going deep. His lack of prototypical size hasn’t resulted in many balls batted down at the line as Shaw finds open passing lanes using his above average running skills. He can make most of the throws required, inside and to the sidelines. On plays to his left the QB gets his shoulders squared and maintains good velocity. Has enough arm to stick the ball in tight seams and has a live ball with little arch 25-35 yards out. Despite lack of size Shaw uses little extra body-torque to generate power, a tell of a good arm. While he doesn’t always toss the tightest spiral, especially in a classic set and throw from the pocket, Shaw gets good spin on most passes and is accurate. Very smart with the football, has a great understanding of the game, knows where the football needs to be placed and sees the field well. Because of his below average size, Connor Shaw’s NFL success will most likely be tied to playing in an offensive scheme that fits. The opportunities are there in today’s pro game as pro playbook authors install more and more spread, zone and option plays.

NEGS: Shaw seems to be injury prone, mostly due to his fearless playing style and his eagerness to tuck the football and take off running. As a pro he will need to learn to end a run sliding, something he rarely did in college. Shaw must expand his progressions in the NFL, seeking out 2nd and 3rd options if target 1 is covered. Hand size may be a bit small as footballs will at times come off his hand with a wobble. Sharp up to 35 yards, Shaw’s deep ball accuracy waivers past that range but that can be cleaned up at the pro level. Size will be an issue at times in the NFL, but mobility could eliminate that neg.

PLAYER COMPARISON:
Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks or Doug Flutie

GAME TAPE/VIDEO RESEARCH:
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/connor-shaw/

FANTASY FOOTBALL BREAKDOWN:
01/25/2014: Probably a third-day draftee. Needs to be in a QB-active program such as Coach Kelly’s Philadelphia offense or Coach Trestman’s scheme in Chicago. Most likely a 3rd-day draft choice, if drafted at all, Shaw figures to be a quality reserve in his early NFL seasons and carry little to no fantasy value, especially in re-draft formats. Should he get on the field after some pro seasoning Shaw becomes a dual-threat QB who will extend plays, turn in impressive broken-play scores and add rushing yards to his scrimmage totals. I’d love to see Shaw get into a strict QB-centric program such as the type New Orleans coach Sean Payton runs, Coach Andy Reid’s WCO in KC or Coach Harbaugh’s tough-love in San Francisco. Connor Shaw is a project that projects as a player to start considering in 2-3 years.
http://pass2win.com/connor-shaw-qb.html

planetdoc 04-17-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Lacks prototype measurements and arm talent and played in a high-percentage, dink-and-dunk passing game that has not translated well to the pros,
I wouldnt be opposed to signing him as an UDFA, but I would be suprised if the chiefs draft him. He seems like a less polished chase daniel (who also went underafted).

Dante84 04-17-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10569703)
I wouldnt be opposed to signing him as an UDFA, but I would be suprised if the chiefs draft him. He seems like a less polished chase daniel (who also went underafted).

That quote you pulled... he sounds like Alex and Chase.

He'll be a Chief for sure.

htismaqe 04-17-2014 05:39 PM

I could totally see them taking him late or in UDFA...

He's a squirrely guy with a lot of moxie...

Bowser 04-17-2014 05:57 PM

Only if Bruce Ellington comes with him.

planetdoc 04-17-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 10569735)
That quote you pulled... he sounds like Alex and Chase.

quote was from his nfl.com draft profile.

Dont think that sounds like Alex Smith who has the prototypical qb size. I also think the revisionist history regarding his arm strength is a myth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10569779)
I could totally see them taking him late or in UDFA...

He's a squirrely guy with a lot of moxie...

I could see that happen with David Fales too. Alex Smith went and trained with him this offseason.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profil...les?id=2543751

CleveSteve 04-18-2014 03:12 PM

Yeah, 25:1 TD to INT ratio is nothing to sneeze at.

There's just something off about Shaw. He always seems to be doing everything right but man he looks weird doing it.

RealSNR 04-18-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleveSteve (Post 10571659)
Yeah, 25:1 TD to INT ratio is nothing to sneeze at.

There's just something off about Shaw. He always seems to be doing everything right but man he looks weird doing it.

Yeah. I totally see that.

Phillip Rivers looked "weird" but he was absolutely impressive in college. I think Shaw just looks awkward out there. It might be because I don't watch many South Carolina games though, and the ones I have were when Spurrier was getting super pissed at both Shaw and Chris Smelley. It seemed like neither of them could hit the broad side of a ****ing barn.

Pitt Gorilla 04-18-2014 05:24 PM

You know I'm in.

milkman 04-18-2014 05:37 PM

Well, if you ain't drafting a QBoTF, you might as well settle for drafting QBCoTF (C for coach)

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-19-2014 09:23 PM

I would sooner face Alexander the Great leading a force of 500,000 Delta Force than Connor Shaw with three Pashtuns and a one-legged Mongol.

jd1020 04-19-2014 10:18 PM

All of his passes look like they are in slow motion.

Saccopoo 04-19-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10574043)
I would sooner face Alexander the Great leading a force of 500,000 Delta Force than Connor Shaw with three Pashtuns and a one-legged Mongol.

Even if that Mongol was Timur Lang?