ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Washington DC and The Holy Land (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Nat'l Security Outgoing Ethics Chief: "US is close to a Laughingstock" (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308776)

Dave Lane 07-17-2017 10:55 AM

Outgoing Ethics Chief: "US is close to a Laughingstock"

WASHINGTON — Actions by President Trump and his administration have created a historic ethics crisis, the departing head of the Office of Government Ethics said. He called for major changes in federal law to expand the power and reach of the oversight office and combat the threat.

Walter M. Shaub Jr., who is resigning as the federal government’s top ethics watchdog on Tuesday, said the Trump administration had flouted or directly challenged long-accepted norms in a way that threatened to undermine the United States’ ethical standards, which have been admired around the world.</p><p class="story-body-text story-content" data-para-count="469" data-total-count="1056">“It’s hard for the United States to pursue international anticorruption and ethics initiatives when we’re not even keeping our own side of the street clean. It affects our credibility,” Mr. Shaub said in a two-hour interview this past weekend — a weekend Mr. Trump let the world know he was spending at a family-owned golf club that was being paid to host the U.S. Women’s Open tournament. “I think we are pretty close to a laughingstock at this point.”

Mr. Shaub called for nearly a dozen legal changes to strengthen the federal ethics system: changes that, in many cases, he had not considered necessary before Mr. Trump’s election. Every other president since the 1970s, Republican or Democrat, worked closely with the ethics office, he said.

More at link...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/u...hics.html?_r=1

loochy 07-17-2017 10:58 AM

as if that weren't already the case

Donger 07-17-2017 11:02 AM

I guess I don't see what's unethical about Trump going to his golf courses on the weekends.

alpha_omega 07-17-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Mr. Shaub said in a two-hour interview this past weekend — a weekend Mr. Trump let the world know he was spending at a family-owned golf club that was being paid to host the U.S. Women’s Open tournament......
This shit was definitely important to the story.

mlyonsd 07-17-2017 11:04 AM

Loon thread.

Bwana 07-17-2017 11:05 AM

Shoes!!

BucEyedPea 07-17-2017 11:14 AM

Another opinion piece....and from the most virulent anti-Trump source that also promoted the lies about Iraq in order to invade it. Yeah, credible—my ass! LMAO

Dave Lane 07-17-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 12959874)
I guess I don't see what's unethical about Trump going to his golf courses on the weekends.

Why doesn't he go to Camp David or somewhere other than a club where he personally put $3-5 million dollars in his pocket each weekend.

His clubs are hurting so he fills them up with people where the money directly goes into his pockets.

The entourage of a president is large. I remember the outrage of Obama going to India for a state visit and how much that cost. And it didn't even go directly to Obama.

Fairplay 07-17-2017 11:28 AM

I don't recall Obama using camp David much at all.

If Trump wants to go to his properties then why not?

Its capitalism baby so what if he makes money.

Is that a crime to make money as president? You're mad about that am I right?

Here is an article about the percent of time your hero Obama spent there.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-trump-after-/

BucEyedPea 07-17-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 12959912)
I don't recall Obama using camp David much at all.

If Trump wants to go to his properties then why not?

Its capitalism baby so what if he makes money.

Is that a crime to make money as president? You're mad about that am I right?

They hate anyone making money—especially if someone is already successful.

Just Passin' By 07-17-2017 11:39 AM

The crime is not a Russia/Trump collusion

The crime is Dave Lane still being allowed to start threads.

BucEyedPea 07-17-2017 11:45 AM

Actually, Macron and Trump are working well and getting alone well together. Putin says Trump is very different in person than the TV Trump. Putin respects him. Poland and Hungary like Trump. Saudi Arabia gave him a warm welcome.

In fact the news footage of Trump in France, presented the French as if all of them despise him.What they didn't show was some of the French wearing red ball caps and hold pro-Trump signs.

The laughingstock is the NY Times and our Major Media and those who still trust them. Not many of those left.

Hoopsdoc 07-17-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 12959936)
The crime is not a Russia/Trump collusion

The crime is Dave Lane still being allowed to start threads.

If anyone knows what it feels like to be a laughingstock, it's Dave Loon. So there is that.

Donger 07-17-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 12959899)
Why doesn't he go to Camp David or somewhere other than a club where he personally put $3-5 million dollars in his pocket each weekend.

His clubs are hurting so he fills them up with people where the money directly goes into his pockets.

The entourage of a president is large. I remember the outrage of Obama going to India for a state visit and how much that cost. And it didn't even go directly to Obama.

I thought he divested himself from his businesses?

Prison Bitch 07-17-2017 11:55 AM

If bitch had won, we would be led by an ethical person