ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek 12 Gets Release Date (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221538)

keg in kc 12-09-2012 05:23 PM

The Undiscovered Country was awesome.

keg in kc 12-09-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9193614)
It would have been even better if they'd stuck with the original idea of having Saavik be the betrayer, but sadly Roddenberry shot it down.

The version I've heard of that story is that Kirstie Alley refused to return.

Hammock Parties 12-09-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

It would have been even better if they'd stuck with the original idea of having Saavik be the betrayer, but sadly Roddenberry shot it down.

I dunno, because Kim Cattral nailed that role.

I don't think the other actresses could have.

Robin Curtis wasn't very notable all things considered.

Deberg_1990 12-09-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Now that would have been cool...would have held more weight.

Deberg_1990 12-09-2012 06:10 PM

The undiscovered Country is definitely right up there as one of the top Trek films.

It's a perfectly written allegory for the fall of the Cold War.

Nicholas Myer really "got" Trek as well as anyone ever did.

Easy 6 12-09-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9191059)
JFC, they just gave away one of the iconic scenes in Star Trek history. :facepalm:

Abrams is too smart to do that, just a tease to get everyone thinking.

That trailer is perfect, it feels like theres an actual story behind it.

DaneMcCloud 12-09-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9193906)
The version I've heard of that story is that Kirstie Alley refused to return.

She refused to return to Star Trek III, for sure. I hadn't heard that she was asked to return for Star Trek VI.

Wasn't she uber heavy at that point?

DaneMcCloud 12-09-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9194109)
Abrams is too smart to do that, just a tease to get everyone thinking.

That trailer is perfect, it feels like theres an actual story behind it.

I agree. I think it was in there as a homage for die hard Trek fans.

Hammock Parties 12-09-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9194124)
I agree. I think it was in there as a homage for die hard Trek fans.

They're like poetry, they rhyme.

Frazod 12-09-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9194115)
She refused to return to Star Trek III, for sure. I hadn't heard that she was asked to return for Star Trek VI.

Yeah. They couldn't hide her giant ass behind a bar in Star Trek.

mnchiefsguy 12-09-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

It wasn't that she refused to return for ST III, from what I read, Paramount was only contractually obligated to give her an offer for the sequel. For some reason, they gave her an extremely low ball offer (less than what she made for ST II), and then when her agent made a counteroffer, Paramount told him they had already recast the role. That may or may not be true.

Also, it has been said that Kim Cattrall was the first choice to be Saavik in STII, but that did not work out, and she did not want to be the third actress to do the character when they approached her for ST VI, and that, along with Gene's objections led to the creation of the new character.

I agree that Star Trek VI is one of the best of the movies. Christopher Plummer was great in his Klingon role, and it had some of the best performances from the Original Series crew. They knew it was their last film together, so they give it their best on their way out. The storyline and script was great too, the parallels to the ending of the Cold War were very well done.

Deberg_1990 12-09-2012 09:00 PM

Star Trek V was pure comedy gold.

Row, row, row your boat.......

007 12-09-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9194846)
Star Trek V was pure comedy gold.

Hammock Parties 12-09-2012 10:15 PM

I love Star Trek V simply for the campfire scenes.

keg in kc 12-10-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

That's supposedly the story Nicholas Meyer tells in "The View from the Bridge: memories of Star Trek and a life in Hollywood" (2009). I've never read the book myself, so I have to go on quotes I found elsewhere:

p. 203:
Originally we had hoped to lure Kirstie Alley back to reprise her character as Saavik--her backstory from the other films would have made this especially poignant--but once again she declined.

p. 212:
As I have noted, in an ideal world Valeris should have been the stalwart Saavik, a character we had already come to love. And trust. This would have sharpened the pain of her betrayal, but absent Kirstie Alley, we decided it would be better to introduce a new character.