ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics The REAL tablet wars are about to start (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265039)

AustinChief 12-16-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 9212320)
Overall I think it's a neat little piece of hardware, but it still falls into a gap without a market.

Yeah, RT doesn't appeal to me in any way... for MS in the tablet space it's all about Pro.. which is looking more and more to be priced too high for most consumers and aimed solely at corporate customers.

AustinChief 12-16-2012 09:10 PM

This doesn't really fit in this thread but it's not worth it's own thread...

Ray Kurzweil has just been hired by Google! Pretty exciting stuff.

WoodDraw 12-17-2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9216290)
Yeah, RT doesn't appeal to me in any way... for MS in the tablet space it's all about Pro.. which is looking more and more to be priced too high for most consumers and aimed solely at corporate customers.

Microsoft has done everything wrong that they could do. I bet within the next 5-10 years xbox will become their most valuable asset. Look at all the money they're throwing at Google in advertising and anti-trust. They know they're ****ed.

htismaqe 12-17-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9216290)

It does appear that they're targeting the corporate space.

However, they're so late to the game. There's already a large Apple installed base.

AustinChief 12-21-2012 06:52 PM

Well the rumors are heating up about the mythical $99 tablet(that is not a piece of crap)! I honestly think we'll see both of these released in the next quarter as $150 tablets.. which is still a fantastic price point. Expect to see announcements at CES in 2 weeks.

"$99" ASUS
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/12...t-images-leak/

"$99" Acer
http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-feat...android-tablet

The funny part is that both sets of leaked specs are being reviews as "lower end" or "value" not cutting edge like the Nexus line currently is... of course if you look at them and compare them with the iPad mini.. they are on the same level as that overpriced piece of crap.

Mr. Laz 12-21-2012 07:36 PM

Android seems to be getting more and more buggy and annoying with every update.

Jelly Bean didn't do squat as far as i can tell.

i still can even have full internet browsing

AustinChief 12-21-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9230856)
Android seems to be getting more and more buggy and annoying with every update.

Jelly Bean didn't do squat as far as i can tell.

i still can even have full internet browsing

Really? what device(s)? I have had the opposite results, especially with Internet.

Also, JellyBean 4.2 is the update that matters (for tablets) .. it's the one that let's you set different user profiles, which is badass and honestly is the single best feature any tablet can have at the moment. Every new tablet coming out will soon have this feature except Apple...

Pitt Gorilla 12-22-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9230775)
Well the rumors are heating up about the mythical $99 tablet(that is not a piece of crap)! I honestly think we'll see both of these released in the next quarter as $150 tablets.. which is still a fantastic price point. Expect to see announcements at CES in 2 weeks.

"$99" ASUS
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/12...t-images-leak/

"$99" Acer
http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-feat...android-tablet

The funny part is that both sets of leaked specs are being reviews as "lower end" or "value" not cutting edge like the Nexus line currently is... of course if you look at them and compare them with the iPad mini.. they are on the same level as that overpriced piece of crap.

The mini is a piece of crap?

AustinChief 12-22-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9233385)
The mini is a piece of crap?

Well not really, it's a middle of the road tablet specs-wise(maybe lower because of the shitty screen) but it is CRAZY overpriced.

I also think the 4:3 aspect ratio is stupid but that's a preference thing so I won't judge it on that.

Mr. Laz 12-23-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9230877)
Really? what device(s)? I have had the opposite results, especially with Internet.

Also, JellyBean 4.2 is the update that matters (for tablets) .. it's the one that let's you set different user profiles, which is badass and honestly is the single best feature any tablet can have at the moment. Every new tablet coming out will soon have this feature except Apple...

Transformer Infinity or should i call it Crash Infinity

'unfortunately the Asus Task Manager has stopped working ... '

DaveNull 12-23-2012 09:25 AM

I'll bet the specs on that Transformer Infinity are awesome though. Keep that in mind when it crashes, since that's one of the reasons it's better than any iOS device.

Mr. Laz 12-23-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 9233929)
I'll bet the specs on that Transformer Infinity are awesome though. Keep that in mind when it crashes, since that's one of the reasons it's better than any iOS device.

shut up, fanboi

underEJ 02-21-2013 08:32 PM

I have a Surface Pro. Got it the first day released, but wanted to spend some time with it before commenting. Basically, the intent behind it is a miracle, and the product is a solid delivery. The machine is great, fast, everything I wanted, and unfortunately a bit heavy. The Windows 8 experience is actually kind of cool. The metro view is responsive and easy to configure, and the switch to and from desktop is easy. The biggest issue I'd see for most people is the battery power. With power saving measures, I can get 6 hours out of it. If I wanted to play games, I would be very frustrated with the 3-4 hours from the couple of free games I tried (more correctly, I let a kid try- I don't really play games.)

The pen is fantastic, I use it for way more than drawing. That is probably the most surprising bonus, and I really hope I don't lose the pen, the connector is lame when the machine is in my bag, never holds it. Storage was never an issue for me as I regularly move data to and from devices and my 2TB drive so I was prepared for the transient nature of my data now. The display is good, but expect the next version will be even better. Still, I work on high res images and it is capable, and for my truly color accurate needs, it drives my HP monitor quite nicely.

The sum total is that I really love it. I was clinging to a 6 yr old vaio umpc, and an 8 yr old G5 in my home office waiting for something that was a full computer in a flexible tablet form. It is almost that, and for the few disappointments (weight and battery,) there is an equal or better benefit that I hadn't considered a must have, but now can't live without (the pen and the type keyboard.)

I am definitely an early adopter of stuff, so I have a bit more bandwidth for beta. This is way better than beta, but I think a few modifications could make the next version a huge hit.