ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mellinger: First three months of Dorsey’s Chiefs regime far cry from *****’s (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271830)

DaneMcCloud 04-06-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 9562996)
Unfortunately Dorsey has already done one important thing identical to what Fat Scott did when he arrived in KC... trade for a true fan-wet dream-caliber veteran QB to be the Chiefs starting QB.

I understand that some people feel that way but I spoke to someone today at great length that's been a frequent contributor for two decades at both ESPN and the NFL Network that had the opposite view.

Without going into too much detail, the "League" views the Chiefs as a real playoff threat this season and the consensus is that the Alex Smith move was genius, especially when coupled with Reid. The "League" has also been extremely impressed with their moves in free agency.

I was also told that the Bills have no interest in Smith, have targeted Nassib and will take him with their second round pick, so eliminate him from contention. If there's an unlikely run on QB's, they'll be more than happy to trade up into the late first round and grab him.

Take it for what it's worth. It's not "Bible" but it was interesting and I appreciated the input, especially since we're so close to the draft.

Again, FWIW.

Hammock Parties 04-06-2013 08:24 PM

The Chiefs aren't a playoff threat while Peyton Manning is in the AFC West.

DaneMcCloud 04-06-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9563064)

For shits and grins, let say the Broncos, Patriots and Ravens are solid bets to win their divisions. That leaves three spots open.

I'd be shocked if both the Texans and Colts both made the playoffs in 2013. It's not outside the realm of possibility, but it would surprise to see either take a step back.

The Steelers are on a slow train to mediocrity. The Bengals seem to be stuck in neutral. The Jets and Dolphins are going in opposite directions and the Bills are a mess. The Raiders and Chargers are crap.

It's not outside the box thinking that the Chiefs could be pushing for a playoff spot in 2013.

Hammock Parties 04-06-2013 08:33 PM

Those teams you mentioned - the Colts, Texans, Steelers and Bengals - have a huge advantage over the Chiefs. They aren't in year one of a new system installing a completely new offense, defense, etc.

We're an 8-8 team at best next year. 2014 we can start talking playoffs if Alex Smith isn't a disaster.

I also think the Chargers are a sleeper.

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-06-2013 08:34 PM

We'll wild card. Ive never doubted that. Its the choice for the future that concerns me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rasputin 04-06-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9563064)

9 - 7 could win this pathetic ass division so even with shitty Alex Smith @ QB we could win the division despite the QBs.

Hammock Parties 04-06-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9563123)
9 - 7 could win this pathetic ass division so even with shitty Alex Smith @ QB we could win the division despite the QBs.

The Broncos are probably a 14-2 team.

tk13 04-06-2013 08:39 PM

The AFC is terrible. If the Chiefs are even average they'll be in the hunt. I actually feel like the Bengals and Colts may be the only two truly ascending teams at this point. Bengals have a good young D, a solid QB and AJ Green. The Colts have Luck. The Ravens are a mystery because they've had so many changes. Everyone else is backtracking and/or getting older.

DaneMcCloud 04-06-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9563104)
Those teams you mentioned - the Colts, Texans, Steelers and Bengals - have a huge advantage over the Chiefs. They aren't in year one of a new system installing a completely new offense, defense, etc.

We're an 8-8 team at best next year. 2014 we can start talking playoffs if Alex Smith isn't a disaster.

I also think the Chargers are a sleeper.

I think the Chargers have a shit offensive line, no reliable or game breaking running back, crap at WR and a broken down tight end. With a new head coach, they're looking at 5-11 at best (at this point).

The Steelers don't have an advantage. They've been 8-8 and haven't upgraded their roster or coaching staff. The wheels are coming off the Mike Tomlin regime, and quickly.

The Bengals have an opportunity to make some noise but somehow, they fall short. I wouldn't count them out but I wouldn't count them in, either. They have extra draft choices due to the Palmer trade in a 50 deep draft.

The Texans really took a dump in December. I'm a believer in Luck and the Colts but he did take a ridiculous amount of sacks and they're changing their offense.

Nothing is a given.

tk13 04-06-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9563127)

Thanks for the insight Hootie.

Imon Yourside 04-06-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9562375)
I believe Dorsey is a Genoite.
Posted via Mobile Device

We're ready to believe you! /Ghostbusters style :D

DaneMcCloud 04-06-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9563127)

They were 13-3 last year.

How many playoff games did they win?

DaneMcCloud 04-06-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9563123)

The 2011 NY Giants won the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record.

The 2008 Arizona Cardinals were two minutes away from a Super Bowl with a 9-7 record.

All that truly matters is getting into the playoffs.

DaneMcCloud 04-06-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9563112)
We'll wild card. Ive never doubted that. Its the choice for the future that concerns me.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Ravens, Giants and Packers were all wild card Super Bowl winners.

Hammock Parties 04-06-2013 08:46 PM

Homer Dane going HAM this offseason.