ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs better get a New DB fast. Denver and Wes ? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271094)

Sorter 03-13-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9494029)
If it's only a two-year deal it must be a lot of guaranteed money.

Wes isn't that old, but he's got a lot of wear on the tires. I appreciate what he did here, but I think Belichick was tired of watching Welker drop passes when it counted the most. Welker's going to get along great with Manning; they both produce ridonkulous stats but come up short (no height joke intended) at the worst times.

As Amnorix pointed out, the Pats have other options for the short game. If (and that's a big "if") they can finally get both Gronk and AHern to stay healthy then that part of the game is still pretty viable. They need more of an outside threat to stretch the field and provide big-play ability and keep the defenses from loading up close to the line.

The Pats won three Super Bowls. None of them with Welker or Randy Moss. They won them with clutch defensive players like Ty Law and Rodney Harrison (pre-Giants facemask bounce). Offense sells tickets, defense wins games. I already had the pleasure (and pain) of watching the 2007 record-setting offense go 18-1. The Broncos will suffer the same fate if they worry too much about putting toys around an aging Peyton and not enough about getting the defense top-notch.

Unless Jones, Bequette, Hightower, all develop into monsters and NE finds help at CB, you're ****ed.

JD10367 03-13-2013 03:09 PM

2 years at $6M per makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It makes no sense for Welker, and it makes no sense for the Patriots. This is beginning to smell more like a situation where Belichick and Welker had a falling-out and just couldn't work with each other any more. Which wouldn't surprise me, since I believe they've had issues ever since Welker made the feet comments about Rex Ryan and Belichick benched Welker for the first part of the following game IIRC. But if that's the case, the Pats should've tagged his ass and gotten something for him.

BossChief 03-13-2013 03:10 PM

Wow.

Who cares about corners?...we better go out and get a handful of pass rushers.

The Franchise 03-13-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9494053)
Wow.

We're going to need both.

JD10367 03-13-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9494044)
Unless Jones, Bequette, Hightower, all develop into monsters and NE finds help at CB, you're ****ed.

I have faith in Jones and Hightower. I have no faith in the cornerback situation. For a guy who's supposed to be a defensive genius, Belichick can't find a defensive back who's half as good as Ty Law was. I still wouldn't have any other head coach but I admit the events of 2007 and 2011 have taken the shine off of him.

mcaj22 03-13-2013 03:14 PM

how about a ****ing d-lineman worth a shit that can push the pocket against these pass happy offenses

there's a ****ing novel concept.

okcchief 03-13-2013 03:14 PM

Help us Bernard Pollard! You're our only hope!

Exoter175 03-13-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9494044)

That's debatable.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9494045)
2 years at $6M per makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It makes no sense for Welker, and it makes no sense for the Patriots. This is beginning to smell more like a situation where Belichick and Welker had a falling-out and just couldn't work with each other any more. Which wouldn't surprise me, since I believe they've had issues ever since Welker made the feet comments about Rex Ryan and Belichick benched Welker for the first part of the following game IIRC. But if that's the case, the Pats should've tagged his ass and gotten something for him.

Early reports were that Welker and the Pats were "miles" apart, which means they probably offered him 3 years at about 11-12 million, with maybe 1/3rd of that guaranteed. They already tried to phase Welker out of the offense at the beginning of last year, and banked on Edelman being his replacement.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9494053)
Wow.

Why would we need pass rushers because Welker is there? Welker is a slot guy and in case you didn't watch the Patriots play last year, like I did, the pass rush will do NOTHING to combat Welker. The Patriots played a no-huddle, quick release offense last year to combat the pass rush. It worked incredibly well.

What we need is a #2 corner, a coverage linebacker, and a nickel corner.

We have 2 out of 3 already on this roster. We have one of the best linebackers in football with DJ, and we have a very good nickel corner in Arenas.

We don't have the #2 CB though.

GoChargers 03-13-2013 03:22 PM

I can't decide what's funnier: Denver wasting cap space on someone they don't need, or Patsies fans' tears.

Urc Burry 03-13-2013 03:23 PM

Was it Arenas or Flowers on Welker last time we played? I recall is pretty much taking him out of the game

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-13-2013 03:23 PM

Sapp Just called Pioli out

Pioli said why couldn't kc Gm get Wes. Sapp said the last GM wasted all the picks on DL

ShowtimeSBMVP 03-13-2013 03:23 PM

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran

Spoke to someone close to Tom Brady. Beyond enraged at contract details that netted Broncos Wes Welker. "Disgrace" "disservice" were used.

notorious 03-13-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9493978)
Bittersweet.

A big FU to the Pats.

But we are ****ed....

Naa, this will only force us to get better.

okcchief 03-13-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9494027)
Donnie Avery gets 11 million over 3 years and Welker gets 2 for 12. I hate the Avery signing.

That's because he still gets to play with a HOF QB and SB contender. Someday over the rainbow maybe we'll get one to get some basement bargain deals. Probably long after we're dead, but someday.

Sorter 03-13-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9494065)
I have faith in Jones and Hightower. I have no faith in the cornerback situation. For a guy who's supposed to be a defensive genius, Belichick can't find a defensive back who's half as good as Ty Law was. I still wouldn't have any other head coach but I admit the events of 2007 and 2011 have taken the shine off of him.

At this point (without knowledge as to how BB evaluates/values corners), I'd blame your scouts. Your guys aren't giving corners solid grades or BB is completely ignoring them. With the trade and desire to sign Talib, I think it is the scouts. I don't know any NE scouts or BB so this entirely speculation.