ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Do Target workers deserve a shortened Black Friday? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266718)

L.A. Chieffan 11-17-2012 02:09 PM

These people are peasants really. I'm not sure why this is even a discussion.

mr. tegu 11-17-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9125182)
I can tell you have reading comprehension issues. I never said they were shocked or made any mention of her reaction, bud. I included it because I wanted to highlight that it was a forced issue. They have no say as to whether or not they'll have the day off. IN MY OPINION, that blows, BUT I continued on in my initial post saying that I understand it is somewhat expected at retail stores so it will be up to the employees to deal with their situation as they see fit.

How is this not an attempt to one up each other? Two years ago Wal-Mart opened at midnight, last year they opened at 10 PM and this year they're opening at 8 PM with Target following suit and opening at 9 PM.

So they aren't shocked, who cares. The point is that of all people, those who sign up to work over night at a retail store have absolutely nothing to say here. You clearly gave that story because they are forced to work the holiday as if that is something unexpected or unjust. Why should overnight workers have any say in whether or not they work overnight on one of the stores busiest days?

By definition an attempt to one up other retailers would be them opening at the same time or earlier. They knew when the competition was opening but they at least delayed it an hour.

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9125221)
If I worked there and the store manager himself wouldn't at least show up for a couple hours, neither would I.

Well man it's like this.... They probably have a stack of applications 5 foot tall, you can do anything you want, you are not under contract.

Deberg_1990 11-17-2012 02:12 PM

I think I've got more of a problem with this Current American culture of shopping madness which has brought all this about. The stores are just reacting to shopper demand.

Why can't customers and families just wait until Friday at 8 or 9 am to start shopping?

mr. tegu 11-17-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9125216)
Soldiers are dying nearly everyday overseas so you slobs can stand in line at Best Buy at 3am to get $50 off that Sony HDTV and Skylanders for nephew Johnny. Merry Christmas!

So your saying that if you buy the TV at regular price at 3 pm you are supporting soldiers but if you buy the sale price at 3 am you aren't? I guess you don't have a TV, computer, or cell phone then.

Jenson71 11-17-2012 02:14 PM

I think it's ridiculous they are opening on Thanksgiving. Definitely not going to shop on Thanksgiving. Hopefully nobody else does.

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9125239)
I think I've got more of a problem with this Current American culture of shopping madness which has brought all this about. The stores are just reacting to shopper demand.

Why can't customers and families just wait until Friday at 8 or 9 am to start shopping?

Brick and Mortar are doing everything they can do to compete with cybersales.

90% of the stuff I buy comes from the internet because I don't like to pay sales tax

mr. tegu 11-17-2012 02:15 PM

Unless you are a person that has advocated for movie theater people working holidays in the past all you people complaining about this should just STFU now.

R8RFAN 11-17-2012 02:17 PM

I remember when I was a kid it was hard to find any store open on Thanksgiving and if it was after 12 noon , everything was closed.

Jenson71 11-17-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9125250)
Unless you are a person that has advocated for movie theater people working holidays in the past all you people complaining about this should just STFU now.

Who advocates for that? When did movie theater holiday openings become normal?

Brock 11-17-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9125250)

Yeah, I really don't see the problem either. Some businesses are open holidays and have their biggest days on holidays.

Brock 11-17-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9125254)
I remember when I was a kid it was hard to find any store open on Thanksgiving and if it was after 12 noon , everything was closed.

Yes, and it sucked.

BossChief 11-17-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9125209)
People better support the little guy (I do) because when all of the little guys are gone, wally world will set the prices where they want.

Exactly.

1) most of their products are bought from China
2) the quality of their products is crap and that's why they are cheap
3) most of their full time employees have to be on government assistance
4) the cost of their products close the doors of the places that well products that are still made in the USA

I could probably go on and list 20 more, but I don't want to derail the original thread with shit that's been beaten to death in other threads..

mr. tegu 11-17-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9125255)
Who advocates for that? When did movie theater holiday openings become normal?

Movie theaters have been opened holidays as long as I can remember yet people don't complain about that. Unless a person has advocated for them, they have no room to complain about the retail companies opening early here.

chiefzilla1501 11-17-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9125159)
If they don't have to be to the store until 7 or 8pm, they need to STFU and go to work. I was under the impression that they would have to be there much earlier.

Here is my question, though.

Does the store manager have to be there at the same time as the average Joe workers? I'm not talking about dept managers or mid level guys...does the store manager have to work that night?

Store managers, to my understanding, don't get very many holidays off at all. They're there all the time.

And I think that's a pretty insensitive position to say that any worker who complains about working at 7 or 8 pm ON THANKSGIVING is suddenly forced to work those hours. I don't work in retail. I am thankful that I can eat a heavy dinner at a reasonable hour and get ****ed up on wine and booze with my family and friends.