ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Next GM Short-List: Who's your pick and why? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265883)

ziggysocki 10-29-2012 02:55 PM

Next GM Short-List: Who's your pick and why?

There is lots of talk about Pioli getting the boot, but I haven't seen much about possible replacements. Who is available? Who would have a chance at success (not mediocrity) Who makes your short list of candidates?

I am not any kind of expert on NFL execs, but I want one how understands that modern NFL franchises need to build around a franchise quarterback.

I just want my Chiefs back... I miss caring about the game on Sunday.

What say you?

Hammock Parties 10-29-2012 02:56 PM

http://legacy.philadelphiaeagles.com...eller_r_1.html

http://i.imgur.com/g5LPf.jpg

RealSNR 10-29-2012 02:57 PM

There have been a billion threads on this all year. They all wind up turning into a pissing match about Bill Cowher.

Glad I could help.

bevischief 10-29-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9063081)

To the ship!

The Bad Guy 10-29-2012 02:58 PM

I want Marc Ross. He's the Giants director of college scouting and has been overseeing their draft for 5 years.

Really young, and apart of an incredible organization. The Giants don't typically spend in free agency. He's the one who found Victor Cruz, drafted Nicks, Kenny Phillips.

I think he would also be a guy that wouldn't have any ties or any other bullshit where he picked from a shallow pool of candidates.

ziggysocki 10-29-2012 03:00 PM

Guess I forgot the obligatory "Sorry if repost" I have not spent much time on the planet and I apparently did not search long enough to find a good thread with people's opinions.

Marcellus 10-29-2012 03:00 PM

Lake Dawson , he is smart, he is young and he was a Chief.

In58men 10-29-2012 03:01 PM

Oliver Luck, no reasoning. Just something new and he has a decent résumé

ziggysocki 10-29-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9063090)
I want Marc Ross. He's the Giants director of college scouting and has been overseeing their draft for 5 years.

Really young, and apart of an incredible organization. The Giants don't typically spend in free agency. He's the one who found Victor Cruz, drafted Nicks, Kenny Phillips.

I think he would also be a guy that wouldn't have any ties or any other bullshit where he picked from a shallow pool of candidates.

Intriguing choice. Giants have been solid for a while now.

Chiefs Pantalones 10-29-2012 03:05 PM

I'm too scared to discuss replacements now. I kind of think Hunt is either too stupid or too intimidated to fire him anytime soon.

ziggysocki 10-29-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9063124)
I'm too scared to discuss replacements now. I kind of think Hunt is either too stupid or too intimidated to fire him anytime soon.

I think the 'purge of the pioli scourge' is inevitable, but I was curious if the delay is due to a lack of potential replacements that would be considered a step up. (of course at this point a dead goat would be a step up imo)

ChiefsCountry 10-29-2012 03:08 PM

My list is two names:

Russ Ball, Packers
Marc Ross, Giants

Get one of those two and I will be happy.

ModSocks 10-29-2012 03:13 PM

The obvious answer is Eric DeCosta (Who I wanted over Pioli back in '09) but that's obviously a shit in one hand, wish in the other scenario.

The Franchise 10-29-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

This.

MahiMike 10-29-2012 03:15 PM

Anyone responsible for personnel w/Colts, Steelers, or Giants.

Titty Meat 10-29-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9063103)

Tennessee's drafts have been a disaster.

loochy 10-29-2012 03:18 PM

ACCORDING TO JAYCIE PEARSON IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT WE THINK SO WE SHOULD JUST STFU

Chiefs Pantalones 10-29-2012 03:20 PM

Anyone who will draft a QB and spend money in free agency. Wisely. Not cheap though.

htismaqe 10-29-2012 03:21 PM

Who?

Scott Pioli.

Why?

Because that's who it's going to be.

Strongside 10-29-2012 03:28 PM

Who: Me

Why: I can win 2 games with 22 guys off the street.

DaWolf 10-29-2012 03:39 PM

Depends how we go about things. If we are picking the GM first, and letting him hire his own coach, then the GM absolutely MUST be a leader. Pioli, say what you want about him, he was the hottest name out there because he did his job well in New England. But his job was not to be a leader. His job was to go scout dudes and work with the scouting department to get info to Belichick in the style Belichick wanted. He didn't have to lead an organization. What you are seeing right now is Pioli in over his head organizationally. He's a guy who would be better served just doing the bidding of a big time coach like he did in New England.

If we go about hiring a big time coach (IE Cowher, Gruden, etc) to run the show and be the face of the franchise, then you just need to worry about hiring a personnel guy in the background who will work well with the coach and can go out and get his type of players. Good ability to negotiate contracts and organize your scouts and assimilate info, but don't need to be the strong leader type.

Without knowing more about a guy like Ross and what his leadership style is, and how Hunt would want to go about hiring a coach, it's hard to answer. Clark will probably want the front office guy to be the top guy rather than the head coach, so the danger is if you go get another young guy, if he doesn't know how to lead, we will have wasted another four to five years.

If Hunt wants to go young at GM, and not hire a big time coach, he may want to invest in a VP of Football Operations position and put in a strong, experienced and proven leader to guide the franchise along for a few years...

Marcellus 10-29-2012 03:50 PM

I do think if Pioli is canned Clark will realize he needs a splash to get people back in the seats.

Here comes Cowher.

Not my choice.

Titty Meat 10-29-2012 03:53 PM

Marc Ross is my first choice.

If you're going for Cowher, Omar Khan but he has no personnel experience and would be GM in name only.

Other intriguing candidates:

Tom Gamble: Player personal for the 49ers

Elliott Wolf: He's probably too young

Vincent Newsome: Director of pro personal

CaliforniaChief 10-29-2012 04:00 PM

DaWolf brings up a good point. Teams don't always hire the GM first, particularly if a high caliber guy comes in as HC who wants his own people there.

That being said, I still like the GM, then coach, system of doing things. And if we were to go that route, I would prefer Marc Ross to be the guy.

He might go the Perry Fewell route (and there could be worse directions, IMO), but he also seems less bound to a "way" and more freethinking, based on what the Giants have done in the front office and on the field.

He's young, intelligent, has a track record in scouting/drafting, and is well-spoken of by those who know him. I would be excited by a Ross hire. If another team doesn't get to him first, that is.

RealSNR 10-29-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9063165)
Anyone responsible for personnel w/Colts, Steelers, or Giants.

Jim Bob Cooter here we come

ChiefMojo 10-29-2012 04:21 PM

I like Russ Ball from the Green Bay Packers and Mike Holmgren as his HC.

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/ru...-7567ed7712e0/

Joined the Packers organization as vice president of football administration/player finance on Feb. 13, 2008.

Entering his 24th season in the NFL, having previously worked for the New Orleans Saints, Washington Redskins, Minnesota Vikings and Kansas City Chiefs.

Was selected by the Saints to attend the 2005 NFL Managers Program at Stanford University’s Executive Education Graduate School of Business.

Began his NFL career with the Chiefs in 1989 as assistant strength and conditioning coach.

Russ Ball, entering his 24th season in the NFL, begins his fifth season in Green Bay as the organization’s vice president of football administration/ player finance.

Named to the position on Feb. 13, 2008, Ball brings a vast array of experience to the Packers’ front office and is highly involved in all team decisions both on and off the playing field. He is responsible for negotiating player contracts and managing the salary cap, in addition to the daily supervision of football-administration departments including athletic training, equipment, video, corporate travel, player development, family programs and public relations.

“The first thing that needs to be said is that Russ Ball is a good man,” said Ted Thompson, Packers Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations. “He is a tremendous help to all of us here with the Packers, and his influence is felt throughout the organization. He does a lot of valuable work that often goes unnoticed by many. Russ is also a steady hand and a valued friend that we all come to for advice. He represents the Packers proudly, and we are fortunate to have him with us.”

Before coming to Green Bay, Ball spent six seasons (2002-07) with the New Orleans Saints, the final two as vice president of football administration and the first four as senior football administrator. His responsibilities with the Saints included monitoring the salary cap, contract negotiations and roster management, as well as maintaining the team’s compliance with NFL and Management Council regulations. Ball also coordinated different areas of the football operations, and was involved in several other administrative functions with the club. During his time in New Orleans, he also served in a similar capacity with the New Orleans VooDoo of the Arena Football League from 2004-07. Ball was selected by the Saints to attend the 2005 NFL Managers Program at Stanford University’s Executive Education Graduate School of Business.

Ball, 53, spent the 2001 season as director of football administration for the Washington Redskins, where his duties included managing the salary cap as well as team operations, as he oversaw the video, athletic training, equipment, strength and conditioning and player development departments.

Ball served as senior football administrator for the Minnesota Vikings from 1999-2000, where he assisted with salary-cap management and player contracts. He began working in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs and spent 10 seasons (1989-98) there, the final two in football operations as administrative assistant to then-head coach Marty Schottenheimer. Ball began his career with the Chiefs as assistant strength and conditioning coach.

A 1981 graduate of the University of Central Missouri, Ball was a four-year letterman at center for the Mules. He served as head strength and conditioning coach at the University of Missouri from 1982-89 and earned his master’s degree in human performance from Missouri in 1990.

Ball was born Aug. 28, 1959, in Moberly, Mo. He and his wife, Diana, reside in Green Bay and have two children, Joe, 26, and Andrea, 14. Away from work, Ball enjoys spending time with his family.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I admit that Marc Ross/Perry Fewell combo from the Giants would be very good as well.

DaneMcCloud 10-29-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9063103)

And he's sucking ass in Tennessee.

That team is pathetic and has a serious lack talent.

The Bad Guy 10-29-2012 04:24 PM

If I'm betting on who I think will get it, I think Cowher comes here and he brings a guy he trusts to help him run the football operations like Fisher did in StL.

DaneMcCloud 10-29-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9063371)
I like Russ Ball from the Green Bay Packers!

Team President? Yes.

General Manager? No.

And NO to Holmgren.

DaneMcCloud 10-29-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9063381)
If I'm betting on who I think will get it, I think Cowher comes here and he brings a guy he trusts to help him run the football operations like Fisher did in StL.

As long as it's not Tom Donahoe or Tom Modrak.

ChiefMojo 10-29-2012 04:26 PM

Don't think Ball is ready to be a GM yet?

Titty Meat 10-29-2012 04:28 PM

Russ Ball has never made personnel moves. I don't understand why you'd hire a guy with no experience in that field.

ChiefMojo 10-29-2012 04:29 PM

Well that is true and in hindsight him as the President would probably work best.

GoChargers 10-29-2012 04:30 PM

I nominate AJ Smith. He has a lot of experience with acquiring personnel, showing up to the draft on time, and inhabiting an NFL front office.

Rausch 10-29-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9063381)

I'd love it.

And while many fans would puke it would bring an instant credibility to the rest of the league.

Cowher is a guy players love without being a pushover/player's coach...

Titty Meat 10-29-2012 04:42 PM

If Cowher is coming back wouldn't Carolina be his 1st choice since he lives in Raleigh?

RealSNR 10-29-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9063388)
Russ Ball has never made personnel moves. I don't understand why you'd hire a guy with no experience in that field.

Exactly. He'd be Pioli all over again.

This team doesn't need more assholes with bright ideas for ad campaigns and charity functions. All that bullshit nobody cares about can be handed to any ol' dumbass stiff.

A GM needs to have an eye for talent regardless of whether or not he has a director of scouting he trusts. That director of scouting can leave at any time, and then the team is screwed.

chiefzilla1501 10-29-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9063415)
Exactly. He'd be Pioli all over again.

This team doesn't need more assholes with bright ideas for ad campaigns and charity functions. All that bullshit nobody cares about can be handed to any ol' dumbass stiff.

A GM needs to have an eye for talent regardless of whether or not he has a director of scouting he trusts. That director of scouting can leave at any time, and then the team is screwed.

Well, I don't know if he'd be Pioli. But I think the better point is that the Chiefs can keep Mark Donovan. I think Donovan became a dick because Pioli asked him to, but under a new leadership, I think he could do just find handling the operations side of the team.

RealSNR 10-29-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9063438)
Well, I don't know if he'd be Pioli. But I think the better point is that the Chiefs can keep Mark Donovan. I think Donovan became a dick because Pioli asked him to, but under a new leadership, I think he could do just find handling the operations side of the team.

Perfect. I'll support Donovan the same way I supported Denny Thum. I absolutely trust him to organize charity fundraisers, move money around the budget, and make sure the cheerleaders' new pompoms are delivered on time.

aturnis 10-29-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9063195)
ACCORDING TO JAYCIE PEARSON IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT WE THINK SO WE SHOULD JUST STFU

His stance was that we shouldn't fire everyone mid season, it wouldn't accomplish anything. He changed his tune after yesterday's game. Thinks Daboll should have been fired last night.

Bump 10-29-2012 06:43 PM

Marc Ross from the Giants sounds fine to me

chiefzilla1501 10-29-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9063455)
Perfect. I'll support Donovan the same way I supported Denny Thum. I absolutely trust him to organize charity fundraisers, move money around the budget, and make sure the cheerleaders' new pompoms are delivered on time.

Yup. My fear is that with Russ Ball, you get a guy like Thum or Donovan. Not a guy like Dimitroff or Ozzie Newsome. Get some guy with personnel experience.

xztop12 10-29-2012 06:52 PM

Some HOSS, studs

Mr_Tomahawk 10-29-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9063410)
If Cowher is coming back wouldn't Carolina be his 1st choice since he lives in Raleigh?

I agree. For those who want Cowher...I see him ending up in Carolina before I see him ending up in KC.

chiefzilla1501 10-29-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9063810)
I agree. For those who want Cowher...I see him ending up in Carolina before I see him ending up in KC.

I don't know why we'd want a head coach to be our GM. Has this ever worked for anybody?

Dayze 10-29-2012 07:18 PM

Anyone that doesn't involved Marty or Bill. JFc I'm tired of idiots thinking that is an awesome idea.

Dayze 10-29-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9063841)
Anyone that doesn't involved Marty or Bill. JFc I'm tired of idiots thinking that is an awesome idea.

Edit

...idiot is too strong of a word. I let the emotions get the better of me.m
However I think it's a terrible idea

DaneMcCloud 10-29-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9063847)
Edit

...idiot is too strong of a word. I let the emotions get the better of me.m
However I think it's a terrible idea

You were right the first time.

I'm actually embarrassed when people say "Marty for GM!".

:facepalm:

JFC, people, Marty Schottenheimer was never a GM and his coaching career left much to be desired (i.e., playoff wins).

milkman 10-29-2012 08:21 PM

I"d still be all in on Eric DeCosta, but Marc Ross would work for me too.

Mr_Tomahawk 10-29-2012 08:23 PM

DeCosta

SAUTO 10-29-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9063871)
You were right the first time.

I'm actually embarrassed when people say "Marty for GM!".

JFC, people, Marty Schottenheimer was never a GM and his coaching career left much to be desired (i.e., playoff wins).

This
Posted via Mobile Device

Ceej 10-29-2012 08:25 PM

Mike Maslowski.

Coogs 10-29-2012 08:30 PM

I'm still on the Oliver Luck bandwagon...

This guy might have his own ideas, and not try and copy someone elses ideas... much like the idiot we now have as a GM.

In college...

Luck was a finalist to be a Rhodes Scholar (but he did not obtain the scholarship), a National Football Foundation Scholar, and a two-time GTE/CoSIDA Academic All-American who graduated magna cum laude from WVU in 1982. He was named the team MVP in 1980 and 1981 and won the 1981 Louis D. Meisel Award. He is a member of Phi Beta Kappa. Luck was inducted into the Academic All-America Hall of Fame in 2000.

And after his NFL career...

After retiring from football, Luck received a J.D. from the University of Texas, graduating in 1987 with honors,[5] and he practiced law in Germany. In 1990, he was the Republican nominee for Congress from West Virginia's Second Congressional District, which included his alma mater West Virginia University, but he was defeated by incumbent Democrat Harley Staggers, Jr. An ethical controversy arose after his campaign used a mailing list generated by the non-profit Mountaineer Athletic Club to send a photo of himself as WVU's quarterback, along with a letter from Luck, to over 4000 of the club's contributors. A state Ethics Commission report subsequently found that the list had been generated at Luck's request, and Luck apologized.[6]

In 1991, he became general manager of the Frankfurt Galaxy of the fledgling World League of American Football. He held the post for two years until the league was suspended. Upon its resumption in 1995, he became general manager of the Rhein Fire, and was named league president the following year. Luck held that role until 2000, during which time he oversaw the league's rebranding as NFL Europe, intended to strengthen the connection between the league and its parent, the NFL.

In 2001, Luck was sworn in as Chief Executive Officer of the Houston Sports Authority. In this role he oversaw the operations of the Harris County Houston Sports Authority, the governmental entity created in 1997 to provide the financing, construction and management oversight of the three large sports and entertainment venues in Houston: Minute Maid Park (home of the Houston Astros), Reliant Stadium, (home of the Houston Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo), and the new Downtown multi-purpose arena (home of the Houston Rockets and Comets).[citation needed]

Prior to joining the Sports Authority, Luck was a top-ranking executive with the National Football League for more than ten years, where he served as Vice President of Business Development and President and CEO of NFL Europe. In 2005, he was named president of the Houston Dynamo of Major League Soccer.

On June 27, 2008, Luck was appointed by West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin to the West Virginia University Board of Governors, effective July 1.[5] On June 9, 2010, Luck was hired as the athletic director of West Virginia University. Two years later his name surfaced as a potential candidate to fill the open athletic director's slot at Stanford University, where his son Andrew played quarterback and one of his daughters played volleyball. But Luck announced on May 17, 2012, that he was staying at WVU.[7]

During Luck's tenure, the WVU athletic program has made significant changes, including: WVU's move from the Big East Conference to the Big 12 Conference;[8] the resignation of head football coach Bill Stewart and subsequent promotion of Dana Holgorsen to that spot;[9] and the firing of baseball coach Greg Van Zant.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Luck

DaneMcCloud 10-29-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9064098)

He's not an NFL general manager. Why in the hell would you hire someone as a GM that's never scouted, never been a college or pro personnel guy and never an NFL GM?

He might be a candidate for team president but even that's not a certainty.

Simply Red 10-29-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xztop12 (Post 9063748)
Some HOSS, studs

**** YOU!

spades 10-29-2012 08:55 PM

marc ross

Coogs 10-29-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9064180)
He's not an NFL general manager. Why in the hell would you hire someone as a GM that's never scouted, never been a college or pro personnel guy and never an NFL GM?

He might be a candidate for team president but even that's not a certainty.

So you are saying I would not have been smart enough to have drafted Tyson Jackson, Eric Berry, Jon baldwin, and Dontari Poe? And neither would Oliver Luck, who actually has had success in the football arena? That decisions like those 4 gems need to be left to the guys like Pioli who have experience?

I think I'll stick with Luck for a little while longer.

DaneMcCloud 10-29-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9064231)
So you are saying I would not have been smart enough to have drafted Tyson Jackson, Eric Berry, Jon baldwin, and Dontari Poe? And neither would Oliver Luck, who actually has had success in the football arena? That decisions like those 4 gems need to be left to the guys like Pioli who have experience?

I think I'll stick with Luck for a little while longer.

clyde05 10-29-2012 09:06 PM

As long as his name isn't Scott Pioli!!!

rtmike 10-29-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9064098)

This guy might have his own ideas, and not try and copy someone elses ideas... much like the idiot we now have as a GM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Luck

Prolly has his own ideas because by the sounds of it he's never been part of putting together an NFL team so he has no ideas cause he has no idea.

Sorry, but no thanks.

Dayze 10-29-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9064066)
Mike Maslowski.

**** that, you know shit. Case Printers

Coogs 10-29-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9064244)

Look, the dude was a Rhodes Scholar candidate. I'm sure he is smart enough to recognize football talent. I'm sure he is smart enough to make wise decisions with regards to building a team.

I like him as a prospect. That was the purpose of the thread.

DaneMcCloud 10-29-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9064263)
Look, the dude was a Rhodes Scholar candidate. I'm sure he is smart enough to recognize football talent. I'm sure he is smart enough to make wise decisions with regards to building a team.

I like him as a prospect. That was the purpose of the thread.

Yeah, that sounds like a GREAT idea.

Hire a guy that's never worked in the NFL and ask him to rebuild your franchise through free agency and the draft because, well, he's smart and can figure it out.

Coogs 10-29-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtmike (Post 9064250)
Prolly has his own ideas because by the sounds of it he's never been part of putting together an NFL team so he has no ideas cause he has no idea.

Sorry, but no thanks.

That's fine if you want the standard Steelers, Giants, Ravens, Packers response. I'm cool with it.

I think the guy is smart enough to build a team. Look what he did with his own son. And I am assuming he coached up his son a bit as a young lad with the finer points of the game, because he knows what the finer points are.

Coogs 10-29-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9064271)
Yeah, that sounds like a GREAT idea.

Hire a guy that's never worked in the NFL and ask him to rebuild your franchise through free agency and the draft because, well, he's smart and can figure it out.

So I think outside the box once in a while. Sue me!

T-post Tom 10-29-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

I'd go for this.

It needs to be done ASAP. Then quickly hire a PROVEN HC with connections so that he can cherry pick his coordinators from the failed & soon-to-be-fired HCs that were great coordinators.

Coogs 10-29-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 9064303)
I'd go for this.

Packers... franchise QB's Favre and Rodgers
Giants... franchise QB Manning
Ravens... franchise GM Newsome... who may or may not be able to get a franchise QB
Steelers... franchise QB Roethlisberger

Patriots... franchise QB Brady

Buyers beware. Not saying it's a bad idea at all. But franchise QB's make a lot of things look pretty good.

Hammock Parties 10-29-2012 09:29 PM

Flacco is a franchise QB. No question at this point.

Coogs 10-29-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9064344)

I'd tend to agree.

Dayze 10-29-2012 09:30 PM

Too risky. Shut your face. We need a LT first

Mr_Tomahawk 10-29-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9064284)
That's fine if you want the standard Steelers, Giants, Ravens, Packers response. I'm cool with it.

I think the guy is smart enough to build a team. Look what he did with his own son. And I am assuming he coached up his son a bit as a young lad with the finer points of the game, because he knows what the finer points are.

We should go after Archie Manning...right?

Coogs 10-29-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9064368)
We should go after Archie Manning...right?

Probably could do worse.

DaneMcCloud 10-29-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9064300)
So I think outside the box once in a while. Sue me!

"Thinking outside the box" is how Matt Millen had a job, as well as Marty Hurney (former sports writer).

The Chiefs NEED a GM that's been a proven scout and personnel director.

Not a guy that's never been either.

T-post Tom 10-29-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9064334)
Packers... franchise QB's Favre and Rodgers
Giants... franchise QB Manning
Ravens... franchise GM Newsome... who may or may not be able to get a franchise QB
Steelers... franchise QB Roethlisberger

Patriots... franchise QB Brady

Buyers beware. Not saying it's a bad idea at all. But franchise QB's make a lot of things look pretty good.

Agreed that a franchise QB is the quickest path to success in today's NFL, but I'd take that Giants d-line over ours any day and twice on Sundays.

Chiefshrink 10-29-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9063124)

This !;)

wazu 10-29-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9064344)

Meh. Do not want.

bevischief 10-29-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9064049)
I"d still be all in on Eric DeCosta, but Marc Ross would work for me too.

Whatever Milkman says I agree with.

rtmike 10-29-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9064284)

I never said who I wanted, just not some smart dude with no personnel experience in the NFL.

Last GM hire I was happier than a Slinkee on an escalator since I was one of the many who was pimpin' him before the hire.

I obviously don't know jackshit though.

AussieChiefsFan 10-29-2012 11:57 PM

Marc Ross definitely seems like a good candidate.

Coogs 10-30-2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9064475)
"Thinking outside the box" is how Matt Millen had a job, as well as Marty Hurney (former sports writer).

The Chiefs NEED a GM that's been a proven scout and personnel director.

Not a guy that's never been either.

But he has been a GM. Minor league? Yes. But he does have a bit of experience.

Look. Would he be great? I don't know. Would he suck? I don't know.

No more than I know about any of these other names being thrown around. I do know that all these other guys work on teams that have franchise QB's leading them. And we already know that a guy that works on a team with a franchise QB at the helm can be a little overrated. Fool me once...

I don't want a different version of "The Patriot Way". No "Raven Way". No "Giants Way". No "Packers Way". No "Steelers Way". I want the "Chiefs Way" for a change.

So you can call me a dumbass or whatever all you want. That's your prerogative.

The OP asked for our short list with a reason. I gave mine.