ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Anyone ever been to Croatia? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=303970)

bdj23 11-24-2016 12:42 PM

Anyone ever been to Croatia?

The girlfriend and i are looking into a trip somewhere somewhat exotic. We've settled on three possible spots -- Dubrovnik Croatia, Prague Czech Republic or Milan and Rome in Italy. I don't really know much about international travel, and this seems somewhat intimidating. (Furthest from home I've ever been is British Columbia). Croatia is the place that we are strongly considering though.

Any CP'ers ever been? Anyone want to give me advice on European travel in general? I'm just a yokel from Kansas. Help me out.

Shawny2X4 11-24-2016 12:59 PM

I went to Rome and it sucked. Granted, it was at the peak of tourist season, so everything was crowed and scammers were everywhere. I hear Prague is a lot like Amsterdam.

bdj23 11-24-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawny2X4 (Post 12574176)
I went to Rome and it sucked. Granted, it was at the peak of tourist season, so everything was crowed and scammers were everywhere. I hear Prague is a lot like Amsterdam.

Originally Rome was the plan, until i found out it's super touristy and everyone goes there.

UK_Chief 11-24-2016 02:06 PM

Go to Rome outside of the peak season and get up early to see the sights and you'll enjoy it. August 100 degree heat and thousands of people not so much.

Dubrovnik is great but the old town is quite touristy. You can travel to other parts of Croatia though. I'd spend a couple of days in Dubrovnik and then hire a sail boat and a skipper and sail round the islands for a few weeks. Amazing sailing and remote islands.

Milan I haven't been to but is quite a 'working' city from what I've heard - by that I mean not a lot of tourist stuff to do/see

Have you thought of Barcelona? Great city

bdj23 11-24-2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UK_Chief (Post 12574223)
Go to Rome outside of the peak season and get up early to see the sights and you'll enjoy it. August 100 degree heat and thousands of people not so much.

Dubrovnik is great but the old town is quite touristy. You can travel to other parts of Croatia though. I'd spend a couple of days in Dubrovnik and then hire a sail boat and a skipper and sail round the islands for a few weeks. Amazing sailing and remote islands.

Milan I haven't been to but is quite a 'working' city from what I've heard - by that I mean not a lot of tourist stuff to do/see

Have you thought of Barcelona? Great city

The reason why Milan is on the list is i have a friend who lives there, and he would be upset if i came it Italy and didn't visit him. Beyond that, i don't really have much of a reason to go, but Lago de Como looks amazing too.

I'm far from a rich person, and only have 3 weeks of vacation, so time and money is also a limiting factor. We've looks at Zagreb and Split too.

teedubya 11-24-2016 02:31 PM

I love Rome. Don't go in the tourist season. If you want to go where the hotties are... Eastern Europe.

scho63 11-24-2016 02:33 PM

You can do both Crotia and Prague in the same trip if you have 10 days. Trains, trains trains are your best best.

Milan has zero value unless you are in the fashion industry. Have your friend meet you in Florence rather than you going to Milan if you decide Italy. You have to go to Venice for a day if you go to Italy. Once gain Trains, trains, trains.

The dollar is skyrocketing so it is a good time for an American to travel.

bdj23 11-24-2016 02:37 PM

What would constitute tourist season? Summer? We are looking at late summer for the trip.

UK_Chief 11-24-2016 02:49 PM

September or after if you can

MIAdragon 11-24-2016 03:06 PM

I've been to Dubrovnik, an absolutely amazing place! Great food, beautiful land/seascapes and stunning beautiful women. If you get a chance go.

retkim 11-24-2016 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 12574247)
What would constitute tourist season? Summer? We are looking at late summer for the trip.

Croatia has one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful coastline in all Europe. I don't spend summers holidays there for personal reasons, but it's a very nice place to visit. If you go to Dubrovnik, you should probably also visit Montenegro's Kotor bay which is about 100 miles south.

bdj23 11-24-2016 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retkim (Post 12574294)
Croatia has one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful coastline in all Europe. I don't spend summers holidays there for personal reasons, but it's a very nice place to visit. If you go to Dubrovnik, you should probably also visit Montenegro's Kotor bay which is about 100 miles south.

That looks beautiful too. Thank you for the recommendation. I assume you can hop a train back and forth?

retkim 11-24-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 12574299)
That looks beautiful too. Thank you for the recommendation. I assume you can hop a train back and forth?

I don't really know about the train, I used a car, but I can tell you that the trains in Montenegro are probably the slowest in the World, so a bus would be a better option IMO. And it's more like 40 miles than 100, I sometimes mess it up when I calculate from kilometers.

Rain Man 11-24-2016 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 12574186)
Originally Rome was the plan, until i found out it's super touristy and everyone goes there.

That's because all roads lead there.

beach tribe 11-24-2016 04:44 PM

I've been everywhere. What are you guys looking for..... Not touristy?