ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto How would you feel if your significant other gave you a vehicle for Christmas?* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=319932)

Rain Man 12-28-2018 07:37 PM

How would you feel if your significant other gave you a vehicle for Christmas?*

* If you are from a non-western culture, you may substitute another gift-giving holiday at your discretion.

I'm watching these commercials, and people are getting up on Christmas morning to discover that their spouse has gifted them with a brand new vehicle. One company even upped that, and the husband bought both a pickup and an SUV for him and his wife.

Am I unreasonable that this would tick me off? A vehicle is really expensive, first of all. It's going to involve either payments or a very large check. But even more than that, I buy a car less than once per decade. It has to be the right car. It has to be a car that I bond with, a car that melds with me both on the road and in my personal brand. I would want a specific set of options that would serve me well over the next decade. I would want - nee, I would require - that I be in on the decision to purchase said car. I wouldn't want a car to just show up with the statement that it's now mine.

Or are these couples talking about it beforehand in the commercials? Do you think that TV commercial husband is saying to the wife that he wants X car with A, B, and C options in an apricot color? If that's the case, then is it really a gift? Is the buying spouse just weaseling out of buying a gift by taking delivery of a vehicle that they're destined to buy anyway?

I find the whole vehicular Christmas gift thing to be highly suspect. Am I alone in this, or do others feel the same way?

Frazod 12-28-2018 07:39 PM

They're always parked crooked in the driveway, too. I suspect alcohol may be a factor.

Sassy Squatch 12-28-2018 07:42 PM

LMAO. "Heres a new $500+ car payment that we haven't budgeted for!!! Merry Christmas!!!"

oldman 12-28-2018 07:42 PM

I would think we're making too much money. Did you notice the house in the commercial?

Randallflagg 12-28-2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13991752)
They're always parked crooked in the driveway, too. I suspect alcohol may be a factor.

Or they are parked crooked in the driveway of a mansion....... :thumb:

wazu 12-28-2018 07:43 PM

It’s completely asinine and a terrible idea for reasons you stated. A better, more relatable ad would be to show gifting a vehicle to a non family member person who cannot afford to buy a new car.

notorious 12-28-2018 07:43 PM

Husband is really hard up for a blowjob.

FloridaMan88 12-28-2018 07:43 PM

Enjoy many future months of car payments/debt for a “December to Remember”.

FAX 12-28-2018 07:44 PM

I've given cars for Christmas before.

I learned that, occasionally, the giftee can just drive away in their nice, gifted car and the next thing you know the giftee is busted with 10 grams of coke and your name on a registration that's still in the glovebox.

I now prefer a nice selection of seasonal fruits from Harry and David.

FAX

Flying High D 12-28-2018 07:45 PM

Comparable to a grandparent showing up with a big ass red ribbon on a five and a half week old St. Bernard/Border Collie for a five year old boy and his mom is pregnant with another. Plus, the parents don’t have two nickels to rub together. Who does that?

Frazod 12-28-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13991766)
Husband is really hard up for a blowjob.

He should have taken a six month vacation in Thailand instead. :D

Frazod 12-28-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 13991772)

I learned that, occasionally, the giftee can just drive away in their nice, gifted car and the next thing you know the giftee is busted with 10 grams of coke and your name on a registration that's still in the glovebox.

FAX

I think you should adopt me. :titus:

Rain Man 12-28-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 13991772)

FAX

I bet a person could hide 100 grams of cocaine in a Harry and David pear.

FAX 12-28-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13991778)
I think you should adopt me. :titus:

That madness ended many, many years ago, Mr. Frazod.

FAX

Sassy Squatch 12-28-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13991774)
Comparable to a grandparent showing up with a big ass red ribbon on a five and a half week old St. Bernard/Border Collie for a five year old boy and his mom is pregnant with another. Plus, the parents don’t have two nickels to rub together. Who does that?

Meh. I'm not bitching if someone gives me a border collie puppy.