ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Game of Thrones (spoiler-free zone) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244344)

kcxiv 04-09-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8527898)
Speaking of... I'm not crazy about the casting for Asha. I imagined her as being a little more angular or something. That actress looked almost soft.

Though she does kind of look like a Tomboy jock, so I suppose that's correct. I just imagined her being a little more feral looking or something.

I was listening to the Sepinwall pod cast about Game of Thrones and he said some characters they completely redo from the books for TV flash. He said there are a few more as the season goes on. I guess tv critics get the first 4 episodes of the season and says episodes 3 and 4 are really good.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-09-2012 04:36 PM

There are some things coming up that I can't wait to see.

vailpass 04-09-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8527976)
There are some things coming up that I can't wait to see.

Yeah.
Also some things coming up I totally don't want to see.

Setsuna 04-09-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8527977)
Yeah.
Also some things coming up I totally don't want to see.

You go post in your spoiler thread! Stop making people curious! :cuss:

vailpass 04-09-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 8528040)
You go post in your spoiler thread! Stop making people curious! :cuss:

It's not like I said 'naked dwarf sword fighting with his sister' or something.
Oh shit.

Setsuna 04-09-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8528087)
It's not like I said 'naked dwarf sword fighting with his sister' or something.
Oh shit.

Yeah....I'm going to forget your username and your face for life.

vailpass 04-10-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 8528435)
Yeah....I'm going to forget your username and your face for life.

LMAO

Red Brooklyn 04-10-2012 11:19 AM

HBO renews for Season Three!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1400121.html

Red Brooklyn 04-10-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8527898)
Speaking of... I'm not crazy about the casting for Asha. I imagined her as being a little more angular or something. That actress looked almost soft.

Though she does kind of look like a Tomboy jock, so I suppose that's correct. I just imagined her being a little more feral looking or something.

Agree. It's the first real casting choice that I'm not crazy about. Asha is a great character, and I'm sure this chick can act her. But the look is off from what I imagined while reading.

Bowser 04-10-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8530196)

Someone at HuffPo needs to learn the difference between "scifi" and "fantasy".

Great news nonetheless, even if it wasn't all that hard to see it coming.

Red Brooklyn 04-10-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8530203)
Someone at HuffPo needs to learn the difference between "scifi" and "fantasy".

I said the same thing. My co-workers looked at me like I had three heads.

Huffmeister 04-10-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8530197)
Agree. It's the first real casting choice that I'm not crazy about. Asha is a great character, and I'm sure this chick can act her. But the look is off from what I imagined while reading.

Yeah, I always pictured her as taller and leaner. But this actress looks like she should be able to handle the role.

Sfeihc 04-10-2012 08:12 PM

What about Gendry? I feel like he should be singing "Drops of Jupiter" when he appears.

eazyb81 04-16-2012 08:51 AM

Looks like Renly is too stupid to combine forces with the Starks to take down the Lannisters. His wife is an interesting character though, LOL. So is that Amazon knight woman.

Wonder if we've seen the end of Pycelle? Something tells me Littlefinger and/or The Spider knew that Tyrion was toying with them and didn't spill the beans on purpose. I think The Spider is one step ahead of everyone at all times.

Interesting new role for Shay. Wonder what will happen there.

Hopefully the Starks are testing Theon's loyalty and aren't actually relying on him to turn the Greyjoy clan. It is hard to believe that he would be more loyal to the Starks than his own blood.

Hawk 04-16-2012 09:39 AM

Yoren was a bad ass, I'm going to miss his character. He took down quite a few men on his way out though, including the guy who shot him with the crossbow.

Bambi 04-16-2012 10:32 AM

Didn't really love last nights episode but it was kinda cool to see that part of the bald dude's speech to Tyrian that they use in the season 2 trailer.

Hawk 04-16-2012 10:58 AM

I liked it. My favorite for this season so far.

I liked Tyrion's spy game that outed Pycell, and his conversations with Cersei and then with Varys. I liked the Arya part and the way they handled Yoren's death and Lommy's. I liked the part with Theon and his father and thought they did a good job giving some insight into Theon. And my favorite part was Renly and Margery, Margery was awesome!

NewChief 04-16-2012 11:01 AM

I really like what they've done with the Iron Islands. The casting, sets, and costumes really do an awesome job of conveying the culture. I love how all their clothes are completely salt stained.

TrickyNicky 04-16-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8545625)
Didn't really love last nights episode but it was kinda cool to see that part of the bald dude's speech to Tyrian that they use in the season 2 trailer.

The guy playing Varys is a damn fine actor. Just enough gravitas to steal the scene. The best part of the episode.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-16-2012 12:07 PM

Boy, sweet boy, a man can fight...

Hawk 04-16-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8545921)

Haha. I think the sixth episode is called "The Ghost in Harrenhall" I am looking forward to that one!

KC_Connection 04-17-2012 10:17 AM

Yoren went out like a badass.

KC_Connection 04-17-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8545249)
Wonder if we've seen the end of Pycelle? Something tells me Littlefinger and/or The Spider knew that Tyrion was toying with them and didn't spill the beans on purpose. I think The Spider is one step ahead of everyone at all times.

Yeah, I'm almost sure at least Varys knew what Tyrion was doing.

Hawk 04-17-2012 10:44 AM

Yeah, the Theon Greyjoy match was the least plausible one for Myrcella, and Varys didn't buy it for a second.

eazyb81 04-17-2012 11:25 AM

Varys is really smart and conniving. I'm not sure if I hate him or like him.

NewChief 04-17-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8548277)

Heh. He's not the only one.

L.A. Chieffan 04-17-2012 11:33 AM

the scene last season between varys and littlefinger in the throne room is one of the best of the show. very well done

PhillyChiefFan 04-17-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8548129)
Yeah, I'm almost sure at least Varys knew what Tyrion was doing.

Yep, Littlefinger and Varys have to know that Tyrion trusts them as far as he could throw them, so why would he tell them anything? Varys and LF smelled a trap.

Definitely doesn't mean Tyrion will trust the other two at all though.

Tyrion is my favorite character by far in the books and the show.

Hawk 04-17-2012 01:56 PM

I don't know, I think LF fell for it because sending him to the Vale to persuade Lysa Arryn to marry her son to Myrcella makes a lot more sense than what was proposed to Varys, plus LF was dying to get his hands on Harrenhall and to be a Lord. That's why he was so pissed about the deception whereas Varys just laughs and gives a speech about power.

Red Brooklyn 04-18-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8545921)

:rockon:

Red Brooklyn 04-18-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8548277)

Oh, I love him. Trust him about as far as I can throw him. But I love him.

chagrin 04-18-2012 02:17 PM

I have just a few thoughts on season 2 so far - no I didn't read the books so no leet flaming please.

In short, the production - mind numbingly slow.
There are seemingly only 3 "good guys" in the story, Arya and the other bastard (forget his name, the bull helm kid) and Jon Snow - even Sansa is a **** (least she is to the whore/hand maiden). Not that I am complaining, just an observation on how utterly cruel everyone in the story is. Any one of them would kill a person for looking at them wrong, wild stuff.

I am in love with the Iron dude's sister, Gemma Whelan - mean, tough hot chick.
I can do without the gheys.

I would like more about Jon Snow and his wall buddies.

I wonder how much The dragon lady plays a part in the whole thing but so far I'm not impressed. "Khalisi" is getting real old. Seems to me the tribe she led would have already chosen a new leader and not accepted her. If they removed her altogether I would be perfectly fine with it but I know that can't happen. Also I realize they cast an actress with very limited history but she is the weak link in the cast and not convincing at all.

Love the Dwarf, hate Lena Headley (she plays that part oh too well)

can't wait for the little turd king, the whore house owner and "no balls" to get theirs (if in fact they ever do, I don't know didn't read the books), and was seriously disappointed when they chose to whack the old guy instead of the other two.

Still pissed they whacked the best movie actor (in my opinion of course) in season 1 but I get the story. Just wished they could have had Sean Bean play someone else.

In short, I think I get it, 5 kingdoms going to fight for the throne, right? Season 1 got off to a fast start and this season is totally opposite.

Anyway just throwing in my 2 cents, still going to watch all of it and anxious for each new episode.

EDIT - forgot to discuss the witch with all the influence over the one guy (forget his name) - yawn.

chagrin 04-18-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8548119)
Yoren went out like a badass.

hell yeah he did, I liked that guy

Fire Me Boy! 04-18-2012 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin (Post 8551556)
Still pissed they whacked the best movie actor (in my opinion of course) in season 1 but I get the story. Just wished they could have had Sean Bean play someone else.

Just a guess, but I doubt Sean Bean would have been in it if it was a long-running part. The guy does a lot of movies; a show like this could tie up his career, and he doesn't need that (and I kinda doubt he wants a long-term commitment to it).

That said, we need to stop the insanity. The guy has died 21 times.

chagrin 04-18-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8551574)
Just a guess, but I doubt Sean Bean would have been in it if it was a long-running part. The guy does a lot of movies; a show like this could tie up his career, and he doesn't need that (and I kinda doubt he wants a long-term commitment to it).

That said, we need to stop the insanity. The guy has died 21 times.

ha! good one, I agree

Hawk 04-18-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin (Post 8551556)
I have just a few thoughts on season 2 so far - no I didn't read the books so no leet flaming please.

In short, the production - mind numbingly slow.
There are seemingly only 3 "good guys" in the story, Arya and the other bastard (forget his name, the bull helm kid) and Jon Snow - even Sansa is a **** (least she is to the whore/hand maiden). Not that I am complaining, just an observation on how utterly cruel everyone in the story is. Any one of them would kill a person for looking at them wrong, wild stuff.

I am in love with the Iron dude's sister, Gemma Whelan - mean, tough hot chick.
I can do without the gheys.

I would like more about Jon Snow and his wall buddies.

I wonder how much The dragon lady plays a part in the whole thing but so far I'm not impressed. "Khalisi" is getting real old. Seems to me the tribe she led would have already chosen a new leader and not accepted her. If they removed her altogether I would be perfectly fine with it but I know that can't happen. Also I realize they cast an actress with very limited history but she is the weak link in the cast and not convincing at all.

Love the Dwarf, hate Lena Headley (she plays that part oh too well)

can't wait for the little turd king, the whore house owner and "no balls" to get theirs (if in fact they ever do, I don't know didn't read the books), and was seriously disappointed when they chose to whack the old guy instead of the other two.

In short, I think I get it, 5 kingdoms going to fight for the throne, right? Season 1 got off to a fast start and this season is totally opposite.

Anyway just throwing in my 2 cents, still going to watch all of it and anxious for each new episode.

EDIT - forgot to discuss the witch with all the influence over the one guy (forget his name) - yawn.

My thoughts on your thoughts.

I think there are a few more good guys, my list as far as main characters go would include Tyrion, Robb, Bran, Arya, Jon, Catelyn, Dany and Davos (new guy who serves Stannis). There ae other minor ones. Of course, few of GRRM's characters in these books are purely good or bad, which keeps it interesting.

I'm not in love with the casting of Theon's sister, but I'll giver her a chance. I too could do without the gay scenes, but Margery was hot and I liked her character.

You will get more out of Jon Snow and his buddies in upcoming episodes.

I thought the actress playing Dany was good last season, but she hasn't been great so far this season, not that she's had much to do, but I will hold judgment because I really liked her last season. The bottom line is Dany doesn't have a huge role in Book 2, so she won't have a huge role this season until nearer the end. Her story really picks up steam in book 3 though, and I think this actress can pull it off.

The problem this season and future seasons have is that the story has gotten so expansive with so many characters and locations. Season one got off to a bang with Bran being thrown out the window and all the Starks being together with Ned to be the center of it all. Now they have to try to balance a lot of stories all over the place in a short time with no true lead character (other than Tyrion), so it has taken some time to get eveything set up. The second half of GRRM books tend to hold a lot more action, so I think things will pick up nicely as this season goes along.

Red Brooklyn 04-18-2012 03:10 PM

So far Asha/Yara (Theon's sister) is not doing much for me in the show. The casting is super odd to me, not at all what I pictured while reading. We'll see where she goes but so far it's really off to me.

She's so feisty and clever and funny and sexy in the books. But whatever. It's still early.

chagrin 04-19-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8551639)
So far Asha/Yara (Theon's sister) is not doing much for me in the show. The casting is super odd to me, not at all what I pictured while reading. We'll see where she goes but so far it's really off to me.

She's so feisty and clever and funny and sexy in the books. But whatever. It's still early.

Yeah not reading the books I wouldn't have guessed, she's pretty dark so far lol

Red Brooklyn 04-19-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin (Post 8553708)
Yeah not reading the books I wouldn't have guessed, she's pretty dark so far lol

She's definitely power hungry and aggressive and a better son than Theon in the books as well. So they've got that stuff nailed in the show. They just haven't portrayed any of her more endearing (at least to me) qualities yet. You get a little taste of it when she lets Theon think she's some random chick and not his sister. But even that is much less feisty and playful in the show than in the book. At least, the way I read it.

Hawk 04-19-2012 01:38 PM

Her witty banter with Theon when he thinks she's someone else is much better in the book scene. We'll have to see as it goes on, but I pictured her as a little more attractive than the girl playing her on the show.

vailpass 04-19-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8553776)
Her witty banter with Theon when he thinks she's someone else is much better in the book scene. We'll have to see as it goes on, but I pictured her as a little more attractive than the girl playing her on the show.

To say the very least. When they were selling golden beauty HBO Asha apparently paid the iron price.

Red Brooklyn 04-19-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8553776)

Yep.

Frazod 04-20-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8551639)

Yeah, I was expecting a sultry biker bitch type. She's more of a nasty biker bitch. Ick. Looks like a thinner version of the captive from Silence of the Lambs.

Do not want.

KcMizzou 04-20-2012 09:53 PM

It works for me. I doubt The Iron Islands are full of beautiful women, much less one that would be accepted and respected as a leader of men. She had to be a little "butch".

Baby Lee 04-21-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8556420)
Yeah, I was expecting a sultry biker bitch type. She's more of a nasty biker bitch. Ick. Looks like a thinner version of the captive from Silence of the Lambs.

Do not want.

I dunno, she has Chloe Sevigny eyes, and I'm a sucker for Chloe Sevigny eyes.

Fire Me Boy! 04-21-2012 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8556911)

Ick. I can't stand her and have never understood how anyone finds her sexy.

Bump 04-21-2012 07:16 PM

so is this show good? I just ordered HBO for the HBO GO on xbox. They have all of the shows from every season. Was gonna start with this, The Wire, Oz, Deadwood or Carnivale. I haven't seen any of those. I'm leaning towards The Wire though.

KcMizzou 04-21-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8558043)
so is this show good? I just ordered HBO for the HBO GO on xbox. They have all of the shows from every season. Was gonna start with this, The Wire, Oz, Deadwood or Carnivale. I haven't seen any of those. I'm leaning towards The Wire though.

It's fantastic. (as are The Wire and Deadwood)

Haven't seen Oz or Carnivale yet.

Bump 04-21-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8558071)
It's fantastic. (as are The Wire and Deadwood)

Haven't seen Oz or Carnivale yet.

thanks, this looks cool but I never read the books. I already started The Wire but will try to fit this in

keg in kc 04-21-2012 09:45 PM

I would go for the wire just because you can watch the whole thing beginning to end. GoT's got years left to go, so no rush at this point.

Fish 04-22-2012 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8556911)

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/313...84b386f072.jpg

KChiefer 04-22-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

My friend told me, "If you haven't watched The Wire, you're seeing the world in only black & white. If you have watched it, you can see the world in color."

Hammock Parties 04-22-2012 11:49 AM

http://i.imgur.com/G0tzz.gif

KevB 04-22-2012 09:54 PM

WTF was that at the end?

lewdog 04-22-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8560019)
WTF was that at the end?

I large flo????!!!!

Baby Lee 04-23-2012 01:06 AM

Bronn, the next time Sir Merrin speaks, kill him. . . That was a threat. . See the difference?

Brilliant.

Buck 04-23-2012 01:25 AM

Um. What?

KC_Connection 04-23-2012 02:44 AM

WTF was that? A shadow demon?

Also, Joffrey is still ridiculously evil. And it's good to see Daenarys get out of the desert.

KC_Connection 04-23-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8560234)
Bronn, the next time Sir Merrin speaks, kill him. . . That was a threat. . See the difference?

Brilliant.

Haha, yes. That was a great scene.

Aries Walker 04-23-2012 02:47 AM

Tyrion gets to verbally dismantle an average of about one minor character per episode now, which I totally support. Dinklage is amazing to watch, and he totally deserves the Emmys and the top billing.

KC_Connection 04-23-2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 8560259)
Tyrion gets to verbally dismantle an average of about one minor character per episode now, which I totally support. Dinklage is amazing to watch, and he totally deserves the Emmys and the top billing.

No doubt. He's been stealing scenes for 14 episodes now.

MMXcalibur 04-23-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 8560259)

I caught myself fistpumping when Tyrion walked in on Joffrey's acts towards Sansa. ROFL

Still wondering what in the **** I just watched at the end though... :spock:

OmahaChief 04-23-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

In order of greatness...

The Wire
Oz
Deadwood
Carinvale

Had Deadwood lasted longer I would hated rated it about Oz. Deadwoods best beats Oz best though. Carnivale was cut short but was a brillant show, extremely odd but the characters were rich and deep and the thought provoking storyline keep my interested.

Another show that ended too early was Rome. It had so much promise but ended after a two year run.

NewChief 04-23-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 8560271)
I caught myself fistpumping when Tyrion walked in on Joffrey's acts towards Sansa. ROFL

Still wondering what in the **** I just watched at the end though... :spock:

Just walked in to work, and I heard a kid entering the building mumbling under his breath, "I... just... don't get it... he's the Lord of Light... but that thing was shadow...." LMAO

AndChiefs 04-23-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8560302)
Just walked in to work, and I heard a kid entering the building mumbling under his breath, "I... just... don't get it... he's the Lord of Light... but that thing was shadow...." LMAO

Did you tell him that shadow can't exist without light?

Pasta Little Brioni 04-23-2012 06:39 AM

...and the ending gets us to my least favorite part of the book.

Ugh. Hate that part about birthing a shadow :whackit:

Oh well, at least it rebounds strongly RATHER quickly.

allen_kcCard 04-23-2012 06:43 AM

Yeah, that part turned off my wife and her friend that watchs with us. They said dragons and white walkers are something they can deal with....birthing black ooze that stands up wierded them out.

eazyb81 04-23-2012 06:48 AM

Interesting episode, but this season seems to be moving sloooooow.

How crazy will it be if Arya ends up being some sort of apprentice for Tywin.

Swanman 04-23-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8560322)
Interesting episode, but this season seems to be moving sloooooow.

How crazy will it be if Arya ends up being some sort of apprentice for Tywin.

Don't worry, it will pick up, and most likely with this next episode and for the rest of the season. Then when they start with Storm of Swords next season, that book was at breakneck speed from beginning to end.

Los Pollos Hermanos 04-23-2012 07:40 AM

My favorite line was, "There's no cure being a ****".

vailpass 04-23-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 8558743)
My friend told me, "If you haven't watched The Wire, you're seeing the world in only black & white. If you have watched it, you can see the world in color."

Uh...ok. Or, your friend could leave the house every now and then.

Buck 04-23-2012 01:54 PM

Did anyone else think that the one whore was going to penetrate the other whore with that stag staff?

Fire Me Boy! 04-23-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8560947)
Did anyone else think that the one whore was going to penetrate the other whore with that stag staff?

Yes, and I was afraid. I was actually relieved she just beat her with it.

KC_Connection 04-23-2012 02:00 PM

Jack Gleeson plays a ridiculously evil character in Joffrey very well.

KC_Connection 04-23-2012 02:01 PM

There hasn't been much Jaime Lannister this season yet either. I guess with him being locked up by Robb there wouldn't be. He was a very interesting character last season, though.

KevB 04-23-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8560947)

Yes, and at this point nothing would surprise me. Is anything off limits to this show? You'd have to say no, right?

Fire Me Boy! 04-23-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8560972)
Yes, and at this point nothing would surprise me. Is anything off limits to this show? You'd have to say no, right?

After the hot fire chick birthed a shadow, I'd tend to agree.

KChiefer 04-23-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8560961)
There hasn't been much Jaime Lannister this season yet either. I guess with him being locked up by Robb there wouldn't be. He was a very interesting character last season, though.

Yeah, there isn't much for him to do while he's prisoner. They've actually written in several scenes with him that weren't in the book to give him more exposure.

KChiefer 04-23-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8560972)

Well in the books Sansa was stripped totally naked at court IIRC. So, yes, that's still off limits.

EDIT: Just reread it, and it wasn't totally bare, but was topless. They also took Dontos out of the scene. I wonder if we'll see him later or if they'll write him out.

Fire Me Boy! 04-23-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 8560990)
Well in the books Sansa was stripped totally naked at court IIRC. So, yes, that's still off limits.

EDIT: Just reread it, and it wasn't totally bare, but was topless. They also took Dontos out of the scene. I wonder if we'll see him later or if they'll write him out.

The girl that plays Sansa (Sophie Turner) is only 16, so not terribly shocking.