ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports *** Official Youth, High School, College and International Wrestling Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268908)

rico 01-15-2013 04:27 AM

*** Official Youth, High School, College and International Wrestling Thread ***

I can't be the only wrestling fan on this site. In fact, I know I that's not the case. The almighty king of n00bs, Sorter, is a wrestling fan. I figure there could be more.....????

Discuss anything wrestling related:

Youth wrestling: Heck, wrestling in Iowa has a rabid Youth wrestling scene...I lived through it, my younger brother lived through it and my brothers who are 15 and 13 are living through it, well the 13 year old is anyway...he's in high school. The 13 year old is a 7th grader who has been wrestling since he was 5 years old and has accumulated 4 state championships since his second grade year...a total badass. Believe it or not, Iowa has a youth wrestling forum that is hopping...even during the summer. Iowans take this stuff seriously. I'm assuming other states have rabid youth followings, for when I watch my bros at National tourneys, we are constantly running into kids and super clubs from other states that are amazing. Ironically, one of the biggest youth tourneys our club hits annually is the Park Hill Individual and Dual tournament...which to my knowledge is in Kansas City (I've never attended that one). Do any of you have kids who are wrestling? If so, how are they doing?

High School Wrestling: High school and college wrestling in Iowa is big... we are known for it, ask AC Slater. State tournament is a big, televised event at the Wells Fargo dome...you will see probably 10 times more spectators at state wrestling in Iowa then any other high school sporting event in Iowa. With some of the crazy talent I have seen/wrestled against at Fargo Nationals, I am assuming that it's either on the rise or just as big in other states as well... What are your thoughts on some of the high school wrestlers and/or teams out there?

College Wrestling: Hell, you Missourians semi-recently had those Askren brothers. I've never met Max, but have met Ben. He was the celebrity guest at Iowa Grade School State one year...he signed autographs and handed the medals and wall charts to all of the kids on the podium that year, which was cool because my youngest brother won it that year and was able to get his championship singlet signed by him. I was with my brother when he approached him....Askren struck me as a funny, goofy type of dude. I don't know Max, but someone posted his blog on an Iowa wrestling message board and the dude seems like a character. I know there are some Oklahomans' who post on this board. Anyone see Okie State defeat Iowa this past weekend? Iowa's first dual loss of the year. Anyone have any thoughts on college wrestling?

International Wrestling: Any of you have any thoughts on the international wrestling scene? Future Olympians, future Olympic champs, future World champs, Greco, Freestyle, etc.?

Wrestling Memories/General Discussion: Any of you have any memories you'd like to share from your personal experience(s) of wrestling when you were in youth, high school or college? Any opinions on females wrestling with males. Last year, a girl named Megan Black made history in Iowa by placing at state. Do you believe females should be able to wrestle with males at that age? Any thoughts on weight cutting? What are some of the most memorable matches to you? Who are your favorite wrestlers? One match that always sticks out to me is this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tb8odmR5CvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Crazy match.

My favorite wrestler (besides my bros and former teammates) of all time is ironically not an Iowan. I don't really have a favorite team in wrestling...I root for individuals. It's a dude from Ohio that I initially hated because I didn't like the way he conducted himself after a match vs. my brother in the national duals when he and my brother were Seniors in High School, in which he defeated my brother. Kid was cocky. He and my brother both went on to wrestle D1, so I followed him since I knew who he was. I ended up becoming a huge fan of the kid's style...the kid could hit cradles from ANY position. He went on to win 2 National titles for Ohio State...and did so both years as an underdog, for he'd lose quite a few silly matches during the season, presumably due to his risky, but dangerous style that worked well for him at NCAA Nationals. It's a dude named Jeff Jaggers. First vid is what really put his name on the map as a high school wrestler. 2nd vid is his 1st NCAA championship as a Junior, in a match where he was a huge underdog, broke his ankle during the match and gutted it out and won. My favorite wrestlers tend to be the ones who are risk takers or brawlers...not afraid to be aggressive or take chances. I can't stand stallish wrestlers who are successful as hell simply because they don't open up and therefore don't give up points and score their own points by capitalizing on the other wrestler's aggression. Boring.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zAr5OJk54KQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YAXXcFYBSwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So what ya got?

Note: I have been posting on wrestling message boards for 12 years and I (and I'm sure everyone else involved with the sport) have heard every wrestling joke (rolling around with men, etc.) imaginable, but if ya want to clown on the sport, shoot... it was inevitable to happen anyways on CP, so have at it!

AussieChiefsFan 01-15-2013 05:18 AM

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LijCcl_9VeA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe><iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TYU3igQjy4Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
:D

Silock 01-15-2013 05:22 AM

Is this the place where I post my Andre the Giant fan fiction?

rico 01-15-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 9319892)
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LijCcl_9VeA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe><iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TYU3igQjy4Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
:D

LMAO, I love that episode. Was so pumped the night they aired it.

rico 01-15-2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9319894)
Is this the place where I post my Andre the Giant fan fiction?

Fantasy fiction? That will probably be in "The Princess Bride" thread, homeslice. :)

Silock 01-15-2013 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9319898)
Fantasy fiction? That will probably be in "The Princess Bride" thread, homeslice. :)

INCONCEIVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rico 01-15-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9319901)
INCONCEIVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsA/397.gif

Anybody want a peanut?

CoMoChief 01-15-2013 06:25 AM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6pRbwu4Pf0

sorry can't embed at work.

rico 01-15-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9319922)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6pRbwu4Pf0

sorry can't embed at work.

LMAO

Ya see, real rasslin' doesn't produce crybaby little biatches like that.

rico 01-15-2013 12:24 PM

Lol, wow this was a hit. Are Sorter and I seriously the only ones on here affiliated with or fans of REAL WRASSLIN?!?! I'm starting to think so because if it's one thing I know about real wrasslin' fans....they love to talk about real wrasslin.' In fact, even outside of wrestling meets....you run into a real wrassler at the bars and you are very likely to talk real wrasslin' with them. So if there were fans on here, I'm sure this thread would get a couple bites by now. Dannnnng it.

Sorter 01-15-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9320555)
Lol, wow this was a hit. Are Sorter and I seriously the only ones on here affiliated with or fans of REAL WRASSLIN?!?! I'm starting to think so because if it's one thing I know about real wrasslin' fans....they love to talk about real wrasslin.' In fact, even outside of wrestling meets....you run into a real wrassler at the bars and you are very likely to talk real wrasslin' with them. So if there were fans on here, I'm sure this thread would get a couple bites by now. Dannnnng it.

I think I've seen someone else post about their son wrestling in HS.

Oliver was absolutely nasty against Iowa. Watch that match on Flo. Would have loved to see him vs Dake when he was at 49.

Additionally, I'm picking Taylor to upset Dake at NCAAs.

Sorter 01-15-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9319885)

My favorite wrestler (besides my bros and former teammates) of all time is ironically not an Iowan. I don't really have a favorite team in wrestling...I root for individuals. It's a dude from Ohio that I initially hated because I didn't like the way he conducted himself after a match vs. my brother in the national duals when he and my brother were Seniors in High School, in which he defeated my brother. Kid was cocky. He and my brother both went on to wrestle D1, so I followed him since I knew who he was. I ended up becoming a huge fan of the kid's style...the kid could hit cradles from ANY position. He went on to win 2 National titles for Ohio State...and did so both years as an underdog, for he'd lose quite a few silly matches during the season, presumably due to his risky, but dangerous style that worked well for him at NCAA Nationals. It's a dude named Jeff Jaggers. First vid is what really put his name on the map as a high school wrestler. 2nd vid is his 1st NCAA championship as a Junior, in a match where he was a huge underdog, broke his ankle during the match and gutted it out and won. My favorite wrestlers tend to be the ones who are risk takers or brawlers...not afraid to be aggressive or take chances. I can't stand stallish wrestlers who are successful as hell simply because they don't open up and therefore don't give up points and score their own points by capitalizing on the other wrestler's aggression. Boring.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zAr5OJk54KQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YAXXcFYBSwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I loved watching Jaggers. Dude was ****ing clutch.

Also, this man was nasty. To bad he got too big for 66kg and then got hurt :(
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1uRvbN5BtOY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rico 01-16-2013 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9320942)
I think I've seen someone else post about their son wrestling in HS.

Oliver was absolutely nasty against Iowa. Watch that match on Flo. Would have loved to see him vs Dake when he was at 49.

Additionally, I'm picking Taylor to upset Dake at NCAAs.

I can see Taylor pulling it off. I think I told you that one of our high school coaches/best family friends got to know the Taylor family real well and keep in touch consistently... with that said, our club is always pulling for the kid. Taylor is so technically sound...and deceptively strong.

There is something about Dake that I do not like...maybe there's just something about Cornell that I don't like.. I don't know.

Kind of sucks for these two that it appears that Jordan Burroughs will be a constant barrier for them to make the Olympic team.

rico 01-16-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9320953)
I loved watching Jaggers. Dude was ****ing clutch.

Also, this man was nasty. To bad he got too big for 66kg and then got hurt :(
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1uRvbN5BtOY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ESPO!!! Funny thing was we had a heavyweight on my team in college named Nick Esposito who always claimed he was cousins with this cat....he wasn't. Dude had a reputation for telling tall tales. Esposito was pimp shit.

For some reason, to me, Teyon Ware seems to emerge, go into hiding and then re-emerge.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3JFSZCM_y78" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rico 01-16-2013 02:35 AM

I can't let this thread go a complete page without this guy being mentioned. I don't care if he was Russian. Total freaking animal. One of my faves ever:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7_dDKWmyz4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brianfo 01-17-2013 10:22 PM

Bump

Wish there were more wrestling fans in this world, but its a relatively small sport worldwide. I will chime in with some comments.

Youth
I am one of the coaches of our youth wrestling program. We have over 50 kids out from K-6 grade. Pretty good for a small school in the midwest. I have two boys involved and they are both having a great season. My youngest has only lost one match so far and my oldest has lost two. If I can keep them interested without burning them out, there future is very bright.

High School
I still follow high school wrestling very closely. One of the toughest tournaments in the state is this weekend. 5 kids ranked number 1 at their respective weight class and 2 division one recruits wrestling 15 miles from my house. I might try and watch the finals.

College
Once a wrestling fan, always a wrestling fan. I haven't missed NCAA's for 8 years. This year its at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, IA. The nation will get to see what true wrestling fans support. I have many great memories of NCAA finals matches. Caldwell over Metcalf was epic. Mark Perry as a four time all-american. Jake varner as a four time finalist. Ben Askren with his goofy hair and goofy style. Matt McDonough vs. Andrew Long as freshman. Burroughs vs. Howe. Ness over Dennis was another epic match. Anthony Robles with one leg over Matt McDonough was also another amazing match. Watching David Taylor, Ed Ruth, and Q Wright dominate the last couple years has been fun. However, one of the most compelling matches of all-time should happen in March. Kyle Dake vs David Taylor. Most people forget that Dake won it as a true freshman and has moved up a class the last 3 years. He is looking to become the first four time national champion at 4 different weight classes.

International
Solid showing at the Olympics with team USA taking gold with Jake Varner and Jordan Burroughs. Sounds like Varner is not coming back for another shot in Brazil, but Burroughs is. Future is bright for USA wrestling with Burroughs, Metcalf, Dake, Howe, Taylor, and Steibers.

rico 01-30-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianfo (Post 9329761)
Wish there were more wrestling fans in this world, but its a relatively small sport worldwide. I will chime in with some comments.

Youth
I am one of the coaches of our youth wrestling program. We have over 50 kids out from K-6 grade. Pretty good for a small school in the midwest. I have two boys involved and they are both having a great season. My youngest has only lost one match so far and my oldest has lost two. If I can keep them interested without burning them out, there future is very bright.

High School
I still follow high school wrestling very closely. One of the toughest tournaments in the state is this weekend. 5 kids ranked number 1 at their respective weight class and 2 division one recruits wrestling 15 miles from my house. I might try and watch the finals.

College
Once a wrestling fan, always a wrestling fan. I haven't missed NCAA's for 8 years. This year its at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, IA. The nation will get to see what true wrestling fans support. I have many great memories of NCAA finals matches. Caldwell over Metcalf was epic. Mark Perry as a four time all-american. Jake varner as a four time finalist. Ben Askren with his goofy hair and goofy style. Matt McDonough vs. Andrew Long as freshman. Burroughs vs. Howe. Ness over Dennis was another epic match. Anthony Robles with one leg over Matt McDonough was also another amazing match. Watching David Taylor, Ed Ruth, and Q Wright dominate the last couple years has been fun. However, one of the most compelling matches of all-time should happen in March. Kyle Dake vs David Taylor. Most people forget that Dake won it as a true freshman and has moved up a class the last 3 years. He is looking to become the first four time national champion at 4 different weight classes.

International
Solid showing at the Olympics with team USA taking gold with Jake Varner and Jordan Burroughs. Sounds like Varner is not coming back for another shot in Brazil, but Burroughs is. Future is bright for USA wrestling with Burroughs, Metcalf, Dake, Howe, Taylor, and Steibers.

Brianfo in the house! It doesn't appear that there are that many wrestling fans on here for this thread wasn't exactly a hit, so 99% of you probably are unaware of how excellent of a post that was. Muchos proppos.

First off, that high school tournament you described sounded a lot like the Ed Winger in Iowa.

I haven't been following college wrestling as much as I have in the past, but the Taylor vs. Dake match up is exciting. I honestly had no idea that Dake was on verge of becoming first wrestler to do that. Incredible. Did these two meet up at Olympic tryouts this year?....I'm gonna have to start keeping up with the college scene again. I kept up with Midlands, UNI Open, Iowa vs. ISU and Iowa vs. OSU and that's about it.

You coach a youth program with 50 kids?! Are most these kids going to be going t be enrolled at the same high school when older? What year is this for your sons? Do they have that low of an amount of losses for the season or career? Sounds like the future high school program or at least the schools in the area have a nice foundation of kids in place. Good luck!

Good wrestlers are generally generated in youth by parents and youth coaches. With many good high school wrestlers, high school coaches are mostly responsible for maintaining a kids skill set that's already in place and building on it while simultaneously maintaining their mentalities/attitudes. While they should get a lot of credit for how so much of an impact they have with certain kids, youth coaches are the ones who don't get the credit they deserve and are probably the most responsible people for a kid becoming good/great/elite wrestlers. And to think that these influential coaches are generally unpaid, even makes it more mind-boggling. I've coached on the high school (as an assistant) and youth (as a volunteer coach) levels and it was a much more pleasant experience watching one of your wrestlers first start showing signs of being great (because they will probably remain really, really good) then it was coaching kids who had been successful since they were in Kindergarten continue to dominate. I love watching talent emerge and make waves among the spectators....generally happens in youth.

Good luck to your boys in the remainder of the season! If your an Iowan, districts this Sunday...pumped?

Most of my wrestling emphasis this year has been at youth and high school level, for I have one brother who is a Freshman and one who is a 7th grader. A lot of drama. I've wanted to express my personal thoughts on this somewhere, but didn't want to on Iowa youth/high school wrestling boards, for I am not anonymous and everyone in the state at these big tourneys seems to know everyone. To those of you who will read this, give me your input and it will be appreciated big time. Our team is ranked very high in the state. One of the best teams in the state in it's class. Whole lineup is stacked, many kids ranked.

My brother was ranked coming in as a freshman at his projected weight of 106 lbs...one of only a few freshman who was ranked in preseason. I honestly felt weird about it...on one hand, he is really good...placed 4th at state as an 8th grader, 7th at state as a 7th grader, 1 match from placing in years prior. On the other hand...our team is stacked and there is a log-jam at 106 and 113 with an opening at 120. The kid he had to beat out at 106 was a freshman who won state 3 times prior to this season, and while my brother and him had been pretty much even the past couple years in head to head, he was the most accomplished wrestler between the 2. So there is a load of pressure right there... He ended up having challenge matches with the kid, best of 3 wins the spot. My bro wins 1st challenge match 2-0. In 2nd one, he had a 5-1 lead going into the 3rd period and was reversed and turned with 30 seconds left in match to lose 6-5. In 3rd challenge, the kids were back and forth entire match and the other guy ended up winning 5-4 in double OT and wins the spot. Obviously those two are CLOSE. Bro decides he doesn't want to cut anymore weight and goes to 113 lbs where our original 113 lber didn't want to cut weight anymore himself and bumped up to 120 lbs. This kid is a stud in our lineup as well and is my fiancée's first cousin (dads are bros).

So my bro wrestles for 3-4 weeks at 113 lbs and the other guy stays at 120 lbs, while the varsity 106 replaced my bro in the rankings and climbed up them. 120 lber has a bad tourney one weekend and decides to cut to 113 again, challenge my bro and wrestle there if he wins. He did beat my brother in a close match and became our 113 lber. Fair enough. Unfortunate, but fair...just how things go sometimes (made for some awkwardness at Christmas gatherings on my fiancée's side of the family). So my bro bumps to 120 and beats out the 2 other kids who were wrestling JV. Problem is, he was originally a 106 lber and weighs 112-113 lbs on full feed after practice. In other words, he is undersized at 120, which is a huge barrier and not a good weight to be undersized and young at. The 113 lber was given permission to go to 113 on the condition that he didn't ever back out of the spot to go back up because their goal with my brother is to try to get him to pack on some muscle/weight. The head coach and kid promised to my father (who is a paid assistant coach) that he would not be allowed to weight jump for the remainder of the year so we could focus on 120.

So my brother starts drinking multiple protein shakes per day and he starts lifting 1-2 times per day, once before school and once before practice with intentions of bulking him up on the spot. We get him to where he is weighing 120 lbs on full feed...still small compared to the kids who cut 20 lbs to get there, but better than 112 lbs. Then all the sudden our 113 lber decided that he wanted to go up to 120 lbs for the Conference tournament because the 113 lb bracket has got 1 real tough kid and 120 lbs has literally jack-squat and he wanted to become the 4th wrestler in not school, but Conference history to win 4 Conference titles (my D1 28 year old bro was one of these 4). This kid won conference as a Freshman last year and if he wins this year (which he would for sure at 120 lbs), he would have 2 Conference championships out of the way, with only 2 more to go to become the 5th wrestler ever to do it.

He asked the head coach if he could wrestle there for the week and the coach agreed, forgetting all about the promises that were made that the kid would not be allowed to do it. I don't think it was a jerk move on my coach's part, I literally think he "just forgot." He goes back up to 120 while my brother, who our primary focus was to gain weight so he can be competitive at 120 and possibly qualify for state, is asked to cut back down to 113 for conference.

Here is my beef, conference was this past weekend. The first of 2 qualifying events, sectionals (you have to place in top 2 out of 6 teams to qualify for districts, have to place in top 2 out of 4 at districts to qualify for state) is THIS weekend. Freaking 6 days later. Therefore my brother, 1 week before a "much more important than conference" sectional tournament, has to cut to 113 and then try to get his weight, which we had been working on him gaining, up to 120-ish 6 days later for the "important if you have ambitions of qualifying for state" sectional tournament.

Is it me, or was this kid and his family who encouraged him to do this (as mentioned, they are closely related to my fiancée) pretty selfish? Especially to the brother of what will be an official member of the family in a month and a half? Should I be butt-hurt about it? Because I am. It just ticks me off that everything we worked for in terms of growing into 120 lbs. has been jeopardized just because this kid wanted to dodge competition to win 4 pointless (they don't further you in your journey to freaking state) conference tournaments.

It has been great that he has been wrestling varsity for such a successful team, but man his Freshman season has been littered with frustration.

The 7th grader, who is a total stud, has won 10-12 various state championships if you add his Freestyle and Greco championships along with being a state champ in all 3 of the main state tourneys in Iowa (USA, GSS and AAU...AAU being the big one). He wrestled in the Junior High season which only lasts a month and half and became the first wrestler from our school to not give up a single point in an entire season. If he does it as an 8th grader, that means he never gave up a point in school-sanctioned wrestling events in JH. However, since JH season has come to a conclusion, he has taken some frustrating losses. Only placed 5th at GSS state, which is good, but he got beat by a couple kids he should never be beaten by...1 who beat him for the first time in 10 tries. He's kind of at a weight in JH (100 lbs) where there are 7th grade boys who haven't begun puberty and 8th grade men who have gone through puberty and are probably not going to grow much more. My bro is in the "boy" group...one of his main strengths has always been his power...being "out-horsed" has been his main problem this year...he just can't hang in there physically with some of these matured/maturing 8th graders...something we are not used to being an issue with him when he was a 1st, 3rd, 5th grader wrestling 2nd, 4th and 6th graders. Districts for AAU state this Sunday and I'm nervous as hell about it....never know which 8th graders emerge from out of nowhere.

Man, what a frustrating year.

Found some cool shit this year for coaching. Watched a lot of youtube clips of Cary Kolat and joined his site and discovered that; 1.) he is one of the best and most unique technicians I've ever seen...my favorite followed by Wade Schalles and 2.) If you learn the moves, which work very well, to kids (high school and youth), they have a blast learning it. Pretty fun technique that you don't see often. Here are a couple of examples:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KSiLrFCM8zY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome funk.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/36eS8z9iPkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Love how he shows this lateral...love how he emphasized working from the side/angle to set it up opposed to going straight on. The only lateral I knew in high school was straight on and I rarely attempted it because it always felt risky. This lateral he shows, works like a charm.

rico 02-01-2013 10:43 PM

Didn't see this one coming. Happened this evening:

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Third-ranked Iowa claimed a 22-16 victory over top-ranked Penn State on Friday night at Carver Hawkeye-Arena in Iowa City.

Results:
125: No. 1 Matt McDonough (Iowa) dec. No. 2 Nico Megaludis (Penn State), 2-1 TB (3-0 Iowa)
133: No. 2 Tony Ramos (Iowa) pinned Jordan Conaway (Penn State), 4:23 (9-0 Iowa)
141: No. 8 Mark Ballweg (Iowa) maj dec. Bryan Pearsall (Penn State), 12-2 (13-0 Iowa)
149: No. 8 Andrew Alton (Penn State) maj. dec. Brady Grothus (Iowa), 18-8 (13-4 Iowa)
157: No. 1 Derek St. John (Iowa) dec. No. 5 Dylan Alton (Penn State), 4-2 (16-4 Iowa)
165: No. 2 David Taylor (Penn State) maj. dec. No. 13 Nick Moore (Iowa), 18-2, 6:42 (16-9 Iowa)
174: No. 6 Mike Evans (Iowa) dec. No. 4 Matt Brown (Penn State), 4-3 (19-9 Iowa)
184: No. 1 Ed Ruth (Penn State) maj. dec. Grant Gambrall (Iowa), 21-10 (19-13 Iowa)
197: No. 3 Quentin Wright (Penn State) dec. No. 19 Nathan Burak (Iowa), 8-3 (19-16 Iowa)
285: No. 6 Bobby Telford (Iowa) dec. No. 17 Jon Gingrich (Penn State), 9-2 (22-16 Iowa)

On a sidenote, I know Taylor is a total monster, but I've watched Nick Moore wrestle since he was a 1st or 2nd grader and my brother was an assistant coach at his high school where he was a 4 time state champion.... 3-4 years ago, the thought of him being beaten 18-2 was unimaginable to me. Taylor vs. Dake will be insane.

Sorter 02-01-2013 10:47 PM

I Thought coming in that Ballweg would only get a dec, Taylor would get a major(right), and Wright would get bonus.

I think Nick Moore has a chance to place and will probably be R12 but Dake, Taylor and Caldwell are all on a different level.

I have no idea how Ballweg is ranked 8th but I can't imagine him placing at 141. That weight is brutal.

rico 02-01-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9371824)
I Thought coming in that Ballweg would only get a dec, Taylor would get a major(right), and Wright would get bonus.

I think Nick Moore has a chance to place and will probably be R12 but Dake, Taylor and Caldwell are all on a different level.

I have no idea how Ballweg is ranked 8th but I can't imagine him placing at 141. That weight is brutal.

I agree with all of that.

Ballweg has exceeded my expectations coming out of high school...I mean, he was a great, great wrestler, but I thought he would eventually end up at Wartburg or Upper Iowa or D3 somewhere and winning titles there...He has been more competitive in D1 than I expected him to be.

You are a Taylor fan, right? Are you wanting to see him stop Dake on his quest to winning 4 titles at 4 different weights? How do you think that match will unravel?

Sorter 02-01-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9371836)
I agree with all of that.

Ballweg has exceeded my expectations coming out of high school...I mean, he was a great, great wrestler, but I thought he would eventually end up at Wartburg or Upper Iowa or D3 somewhere and winning titles there...He has been more competitive in D1 than I expected him to be.

You are a Taylor fan, right? Are you wanting to see him stop Dake on his quest to winning 4 titles at 4 different weights? How do you think that match will unravel?

I really like both guys. I prefer Taylor as I enjoy his offensive diversity from both the feet and on top. I also think that he's going to open up a lot more in their finals matchup. Dakes a cool guy though and wouldn't hate to see him win either, provided it isn't via riding and backing up.

As for Ballweg, I thought he could have been okay at 133/141 and been a R16/R12 guy who might get AA once. He isn't very good on the mat, doesn't have a lot of variety offensively, but stays in good position, handfights well, and is aggressive. Also has a good gastank. Some people on themat.com were clamoring all over him after his first year of JRs at Fargo bc he had a close match IIRC with Graff. :)

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-02-2013 03:01 AM

Just watched the match. Hats off to Iowa and those god-awful fans at Carver, but they won't be winning any NCAA championships anytime soon. Tom Brands is a buffoon. Same goes for his lunatic brother.

Really don't see how they will get more than 2 AAs out of Ballweg, Moore, Lofthouse, Burak, Telford this year. Not going to cut it. The next few years don't really look much better.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-02-2013 03:10 AM

Rico,

No offense but a quick trackwrestling search reveals you are quite the homer when it comes to your bros

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-02-2013 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianfo (Post 9329761)
International

errr... if you ignore Greco completely. Perhaps the most embarrassing performance ever. Coleman Scott was a nice surprise. Future of FS team USA does look great. Logan Steiber at 60KG, and Oliver at 66KG will bury that meathead Metcalf. Dake,Taylor, and Howe to join Burroughs at 74KG like you said. Ed Ruth should be at the top of 84 KG soon. FS world teams will be as strong as ever. 121 will probably still struggle though

rico 02-02-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides. (Post 9372065)
Rico,

No offense but a quick trackwrestling search reveals you are quite the homer when it comes to your bros

:) None taken man. I've been called out as that before and will more than likely be called that again. I am proud of them, and admit, my bias and love for them may cause me to come off as someone who over-glamourizes their accomplishments. I haven't stretched the truth with anything though. Maybe I've omitted things, but not intentionally.
Trackwrestling (I am glad to interact with another person who knows what that is) is becoming more and more reliable for it is being used for more and more tournaments. However, many tournaments still have not caught on to it, and many of them have caught on semi-recently..as in the past couple years. So many potential past accolades may not be listed. But it IS becoming more and more reliable.

Completely honest rundown...

- I do have a 28 year old bro who in high school placed 2nd as a Freshman, 2nd as a Soph, 1st as a Junior and notorious for placing 7th as a Senior. He did wrestle D1 as I mentioned. What I may have omitted is that he didn't pan out in college as many of us speculated he would.

- I do have a 15 year old bro who is wrestling varsity as a Freshman on our powerhouse wrestling team. He wrestles at Sectionals today (nervous). His recent trackwrestling stuff may appear a bit rough, but the circumstances haven't been great. He came into season ranked at 106 lbs, was literally edged out by a kid who may win state and has been wrestling as a true 106 lber at 120 lbs...so he has taken some lumps this year, but has done ok considering the circumstances. As mentioned, out of Iowa's 3 youth state sanctions (USA, AAU, Grade School State), the big daddy is AAU, 2nd biggest is GSS and 3rd is USA. He placed 7th as a 7th grader and 4th as an 8th grader at AAU. He placed at GSS 3 times, but skipped it his 8th grade year. What I may have omitted is that he has skipped USA state folkstyle wrestling for years and has only participated in Freestyle/Greco in terms of USA sanctioned state events....and he hasn't performed particularly well at those.

- My 13 year old brother did become our school's first kid to complete a JH season (exclusively school sanctioned meets) without giving up a point. What I have omitted regarding this year is that he has had some shaky performances since then...at kind of a tough age/weight. 100 lbs, 7th grade. I was at 100 lbs as a 7th grader myself and placed 6th at AAU...During the season, I got my butt kicked worse than ever against some of the semi-matured 8th graders and my bro is kind of going through the same thing, but not quite as severe as how I did....he's still relatively competitive against the elite 100 lb 8th graders. Placed 5th at GSS a few weeks ago...looked like crap, to be honest. I mentioned that he has won an array of state titles, but what I omitted is which ones he actually won. Most importantly, he hasn't put it together at AAU in a long time. Placed 3rd last year when he was expected by many to win it. It was a weird tourney. He ended up beating Terry Brands's son, Nelson, 18-3 on winner side, then after he got beat in semis, he pinned Brands in the semi-consols....BUT in OT. It is amazing that you go from teching a kid one day then going in OT with them the next. Nelson Brands is going to be really good...he's wrestled competitively for only a couple years. His 3rd and 4th place win was a big one...pinned a kid who is sort of his rival...a kid who has done real well on the National level. The state championships he has under his belt include: AAU as 2nd grader, USA Folkstyle as 2nd and 4th grader (last year he participated), USA Freestyle as 4th and 6th grader, USA Greco once or twice, Grade School State as 2nd, 4th and 6th grader.

I admit, I do tend to be homertastic about them and while they have taken their lumps (especially this season so far), I feel like I have a lot to be proud of with them. But that's just me...depends on what your standards are in terms of what is "successful," I guess.

rico 02-02-2013 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides. (Post 9372063)
Just watched the match. Hats off to Iowa and those god-awful fans at Carver, but they won't be winning any NCAA championships anytime soon. Tom Brands is a buffoon. Same goes for his lunatic brother.

Really don't see how they will get more than 2 AAs out of Ballweg, Moore, Lofthouse, Burak, Telford this year. Not going to cut it. The next few years don't really look much better.

Doesn't offend me...I don't root for a team. Just have my select individuals who I root for for various teams. However, Iowa is the team I have been most exposed to due to living there... with that said, it's been a while since I have watched any wrestling competition at Carver. Are they really that bad, or are you being facetious? Honest question...if they really are "God-awful," I won't be in disbelief or anything.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-02-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9372086)
Doesn't offend me...I don't root for a team. Just have my select individuals who I root for for various teams. However, Iowa is the team I have been most exposed to due to living there... with that said, it's been a while since I have watched any wrestling competition at Carver. Are they really that bad, or are you being facetious? Honest question...if they really are "God-awful," I won't be in disbelief or anything.

I'm just an Iowa hater. Those fans and coaches get under my skin like nothing else when I see them on TV. Anyway, you seem like an excellent coach and brother. Hope your brothers do well. I tend to stay familiar with the national high school scene so I hope to find them in a bracket or two.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-02-2013 09:08 AM

Also, to be clear, you and all of your family were/are better wrestlers than I was. I only started in the 9th grade. Wrestled TJ Sebolt once in Tulsa. Didn't go well. Ha. But I enjoyed it when I wresled varsity 2 years. Really grew to love the sport

Another thing I noticed is that y'alls team should make a pretty decent run this year and are set up even better for next. Too bad your brother will only be in 8th

GloryDayz 02-02-2013 01:31 PM

One of the best shots I've ever taken of my son...

http://i.imgur.com/zyVq1vB.jpg

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-12-2013 07:43 AM

Well get ready for wrestling to die.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-74389127/

Disgusting

rico 02-12-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides. (Post 9396130)
Well get ready for wrestling to die.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-74389127/

Disgusting

Un****ing believable. Mark my words, I will never, EVER watch the Olympics again if this actually is followed through with...which I'm assuming it will be. Disgusting is exactly right. What sport has a more ancient Olympic tradition/history than wrestling? None. Unbelievable. I'm ****ing irate about this.

On a sidenote, I saw that Roddy White was pissed about this as well. Had no idea he was a wrestling fan. I already liked him before for he kicked ass on my fantasy team when I needed him to the few times I've had him, but his tweets regarding wrestling solidified him as a "good dude" in my book.

Sorter 02-12-2013 10:57 PM

He was a 2X SC in GA IIRC.

rico 02-12-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9398639)
He was a 2X SC in GA IIRC.

REALLY?!?!?! I had no clue and wouldn't have ever guessed.

We have a kid in our state, looking to be a 4 time state champ this weekend named Jake Marlin, from Creston. This kid has been the epitome of dominant...just thrashes everyone. Gets positive momentum going and just keeps piling it on. Unbelievable wrestler. Ironically, the only kid who stands a remote chance of standing in his way is my hometown/high school's 138 lber Drew Foster...who is undefeated this year, placed 3rd last year, and was extremely consistent in terms of winning big tournaments since he was a Kindergartener. Won it as a K, 1st, 2nd, 6th, 7th and 8th grader and placed 3rd as a Sophomore last season. The two are speculated to meet second round...in the quarterfinals. It will be interesting to see if he can "go" with him for Iowa wrestling fans have already pretty much dubbed Marlin "unbeatable."

HOWEVER. He apparently ISN'T unbeatable for he has a loss on his record this year. When I researched as to who this loss was to, I found out that he was PINNED in the 2nd period vs. a Missouri kid. Do you have any idea who this may have been against? Takes a total monster to pin Marlin. I'll probably "track" it...haven't done that yet.

Jake Marlin is a great kid to boot... and has a very fun style to watch. I'll be rooting against him enthusiastically in the quarters, but if he beats us, I hope he reels in that 4th state title.

rico 02-12-2013 11:14 PM

Just found it... he was pinned at the "Kansas City Stampede" (of all places) by a kid from Blue Springs named Daniel Lewis.

Sorter 02-12-2013 11:17 PM

Lewis is pretty solid. Should have a chance to place pretty high at Jrs this summer

rico 02-13-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9398688)
Lewis is pretty solid. Should have a chance to place pretty high at Jrs this summer

I saw that when he beat Marlin, he had a loss on his record.

Good God there are some monsters out there.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of wrestler is Lewis? Like, what type of build/style? Our guy is a lanky, but extremely intelligent type....I've never really seen Marlin struggle with the type of guy we have there, but I hope Foster changes that.

Sorter 02-13-2013 12:27 AM

Long, pretty solid on the mat. Wrestles more like a PA kid IMO. Really nasty cradles on top.

Dante84 02-13-2013 12:41 AM

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U09oXyiAkOc?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U09oXyiAkOc?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

rico 02-26-2013 03:31 AM

My 7th grade brother placed 5th at the big daddy of youth state wrestling tournaments this weekend (AAU). He was at 100 lbs. I was pretty excited about this, for it was one of the most stacked weights in the tourney, due to many kids cutting to 100 lbs to dodge a phenom at 105 named Ryan Leisure. Not to mention, he was the ONLY 7th grader to place in the bracket. Couldn't be happier for him.

Meanwhile, I recently learned how to convert VHS tapes to DVDs and upload DVD clips to a computer. On the wrestling forum I post at frequently, I posted this video of me wrestling in the consolation semifinals at state when I was in high school. I had just been beaten in the semis by the eventual 3 time state champion who wrestled for the Hawkeyes the following year (Cole Pape) and if I were to win, I would be going for 3rd and 4th (and face the guy who I pinned in :54 in 2nd round, who eventually wrestled all the way back for 3rd place) and if I were to lose, I would be going for 5th and 6th. I don't know if this video will be as funny to some of you as it is on the wrestling site, for the people on the wrestling site know me personally and through wrestling along with my opponent who is notorious for having 1 move that you will see in the video....a move that he was somehow successful with in high school and the D3 collegiate level.

I am the one in the black and orange....posting this video is pretty self-deprecating.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AQibGZ05Xxs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wasn't that ugly? In 20-something years of wrestling, I had been caught in two headlocks EVER...one of them was in Junior High and the other one was THAT one!?!?! It literally looked like the type of headlock you'd seen executed by a Kindergartener...and only a Kindergartener would fall for it. Ironically, I threw a fit similar to the ones you will see Kindergarteners throw, when I walked to my coach's side in the corner of the mat...and this fit continued for like 20 minutes after the match. I was so pissed off. I felt like I had some good momentum going....and DID have it going and was stopped by the world's ugliest, slowest headlock ever. I think it was the fact that he threw it left-handed that threw me off...which is also ironic because I was notorious myself for having an effective left-handed headlock...in fact, I pinned two guys at the tourney with it and I show my variation to our youth/high school teams in which they've coined it, "the Rico."

For 5 years I couldn't think about or speak about this match and if someone brought it up to me, I'd get all pissy. I was all sorts of butt-hurt. However, 12 years later, I can finally laugh at it...or at least let others laugh at my expense to it.

UGLY, UGLY, UGLY......

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/115...ssed-off-o.gif

GloryDayz 02-26-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9440079)
My 7th grade brother placed 5th at the big daddy of youth state wrestling tournaments this weekend (AAU). He was at 100 lbs. I was pretty excited about this, for it was one of the most stacked weights in the tourney, due to many kids cutting to 100 lbs to dodge a phenom at 105 named Ryan Leisure. Not to mention, he was the ONLY 7th grader to place in the bracket. Couldn't be happier for him.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/115...ssed-off-o.gif

Very cool, I don't even know him and I'm proud of him. I have a guy who works for me (albeit indirectly) but his kid just won on OK... So cool to see. based on his size and style, I'm trying to get him up here to work with some folks I know who can take some of is talent even farther.

But I still can't believe the IOC. What a group of super dumb ****ers!

Wyndex 02-26-2013 03:31 PM

I never beat Caleb Payne but I did bust his nose open on a 2-1 loss our senior year

Chief_For_Life58 02-26-2013 03:41 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RWPm4Y11Leg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chief_For_Life58 02-26-2013 04:06 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F9yiCuX1hV8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GloryDayz 02-26-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9441846)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RWPm4Y11Leg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lot's of BS there... And the I'd love to review some tape from the official's other matches and see if he's consistent with those takedown calls. If so, I have few complaints, but I might argue that since the days of not having to be behind to score, but more of a loss of control he might be apply some very old-school logic to his matches. He missed a lot of fleeing calls, and never even offered a warning. Both great wrestlers, but I think the official wanted to be a little bit of the outcome too.

But a great match nonetheless...

Brianfo 03-23-2013 11:29 PM

Kyle Dake beats David Taylor tonight in finals at 165# to become only the third 4 time national champion and the first to do it at 4 different weights. I was there and saw it in person. Crowd was electric and Dake got a standing O after the match. Just an incredible career. Kudos Kyle Dake!!!! You gave wrestling a shot in the arm when it needed one by going head to head with David Taylor instead of wrestling a much easier weight at 157.

teedubya 03-23-2013 11:32 PM

http://i.imgur.com/aPuz5.jpg

Brianfo 03-23-2013 11:37 PM

One more thing: Does anyone else get sick of Tom/Terry Brands antics as coaches? Dancing around like monkeys and riding the refs constantly. Their acts are wearing thin and Hawks vastly underperformed this weekend. Great tournament from Lofthouse/St John everyone else wrestled at or below seed.

apache 03-24-2013 12:28 AM

we are a wrestlin family from southern kansas . goin on 3 generations strong now with my 7 yearold grand son whom has been wrestlin 3 years now. parkcity tournament is in witchita by the way.

GloryDayz 03-24-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianfo (Post 9524990)
Kyle Dake beats David Taylor tonight in finals at 165# to become only the third 4 time national champion and the first to do it at 4 different weights. I was there and saw it in person. Crowd was electric and Dake got a standing O after the match. Just an incredible career. Kudos Kyle Dake!!!! You gave wrestling a shot in the arm when it needed one by going head to head with David Taylor instead of wrestling a much easier weight at 157.

Yes it was indeed awesome.... Wow, what a match too...

rico 01-03-2014 09:01 PM

Anyone seen any good wrestling this year so far? If so, what have been your personal highlights?

My 2nd youngest brother who is a Sophomore, wrestled at the infamously tough high school wrestling tournament called "The Clash" in Rochester, MN. We defeated West Fargo (HUGE win for us), but then lost to the #2 nationally ranked team, Oak Park River Forest. My goodness, that team has some tremendous athletes. They destroyed us. We were in a pool of 8 teams and got 4th, so we will be wrestling tomorrow...IMO, we could have pulled off 2nd or 3rd in our pool, but a few of our guys were sluggish vs. Oak Park and especially vs. Vacaville....we were a better team than Vacaville, who beat us for 3rd and 4th. Our 145 pounder defeated a returning Fargo champ, Larry Early, 8-1...it was AWESOME!!!! My bro (ranked #4 @ 2A 113, IA) wrestled ok...lost vs. the Oak Park kid...I didn't think he wrestled well in that match. Won his other matches.

Anyone else by chance watching this tourney via Flowrestling?

On another note, my youngest brother, who is an 8th grader, won his 4th Grade School State title last week. He was seeded #1 in his bracket and had a bye 1st round, won 15-0 in the quarterfinals vs. the kid who placed 5th, won 15-0 in the semifinals vs. the kid who placed 6th and pinned his kid in the finals in 28 seconds. He was the 3rd kid to ever win 4 titles at the tournament...the 2nd kid to ever do it, did it just a couple minutes before my brother did. At the conclusion of the tournament, he is now one of only 3 kids to ever reel in 4 GSS titles...awesome stuff. On the year so far, he is 39-1 with 33 pins, 4 tech falls and 2 decisions. His 1 loss was at the Park Hill duals (of all places...we live nowhere near that place) in Kansas City a couple weeks ago...was beaten in OT by a kid from Kansas...I forget his name, I wasn't there. It's been fun as hell watching him do his thing this year.

rico 01-03-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianfo (Post 9525006)
One more thing: Does anyone else get sick of Tom/Terry Brands antics as coaches? Dancing around like monkeys and riding the refs constantly. Their acts are wearing thin and Hawks vastly underperformed this weekend. Great tournament from Lofthouse/St John everyone else wrestled at or below seed.

I haven't really noticed it, but haven't paid much attention. My youngest bro wrestled Terry's son a couple times approximately a year and a half ago and we beat him 18-3 and pinned him the 2nd time they wrestled... Terry wasn't in his son's corner for some reason, but kept his cool real well by the gate throughout the matches. In both matches, Terry's son had Pablo Ubasa and what appeared to be Lincoln Mcllravy in his corner as his coaches... my bro had... (drumroll)....rico in his corner. It was weird coaching my bro in those matches vs. those guys. He did maintain that infamous Brands "stare" while his son was wrestling, though. Man, those guys are intense to the point where it is scary. I just started noticing Terry in his son's corner within the last year or so. He has progressively been displaying more and more intensity in his son's corner, but it hasn't been obnoxious or anything from what I've noticed.

I think Tom Brands has a son coming up, Tom Brands Jr. It'll be interesting to see how that kid does. Terry's son is pretty decent, placed 5th at state in 2012 as a 6th grader and 3rd at state in 2013 as a 7th grader. He's gonna be a bad ass when he hits high school....strong as an ox. Barrel-chested.

big nasty kcnut 01-03-2014 09:23 PM

I want to say I like watching wrestling with the smiths,sculitz,and angle I hope the us men's have some good up and comer. Iran and Russia seem to always have beast wrestling for them.

rico 01-03-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut (Post 10333708)
I want to say I like watching wrestling with the smiths,sculitz,and angle I hope the us men's have some good up and comer. Iran and Russia seem to always have beast wrestling for them.

Yeah...a lot of it is cultural, IMO. From what I saw from this #2 nationally ranked Oak Park high school team today, I am going to take a wild guess and make the not so bold prediction that if wrestling becomes increasingly more and more popular with African Americans in the future, the United States will become more successful on the international scene (80-85% of the kids on that team were African American).

GloryDayz 01-03-2014 11:52 PM

I made it the school (Lees Summit) to watch some kids I coached as younger kids, but nothing else...

rico 01-04-2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10334390)
I made it the school (Lees Summit) to watch some kids I coached as younger kids, but nothing else...

How'd they do?

Valiant 01-04-2014 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 10333816)
Yeah...a lot of it is cultural, IMO. From what I saw from this #2 nationally ranked Oak Park high school team today, I am going to take a wild guess and make the not so bold prediction that if wrestling becomes increasingly more and more popular with African Americans in the future, the United States will become more successful on the international scene (80-85% of the kids on that team were African American).

KC's Oak Park or another Oak Park?

I wrestled my freshman year but only did it because my friends did.. They quit right before the season and I kept on.

Got my ass handed to me at JV, but in my defense I was wrestling 20lbs heavier than what I was because they needed someone, I was like 2 and 20. I did well during freshman meets in my actual weight class.

I will admit it, I got pinned in 6 seconds during my one varsity meet. I was a fish.

Did not come back the next year after our last tourney. ****ing asshole had a raging hardon, I forfeited that ****ing match.

Probably would have did better the next year if I would have came back, but joined my idiot friends.

LOL, I still use some moves when I get stuck fighting drunks, friends or drunken friends to contain them.

Sorter 01-04-2014 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10334538)

I wrestled my freshman year but only did it because my friends did.. They quit right before the season and I kept on.

Got my ass handed to me at JV, but in my defense I was wrestling 20lbs heavier than what I was because they needed someone, I was like 2 and 20. I did well during freshman meets in my actual weight class.

I will admit it, I got pinned in 6 seconds during my one varsity meet. I was a fish.

Did not come back the next year after our last tourney. ****ing asshole had a raging hardon, I forfeited that ****ing match.

Probably would have did better the next year if I would have came back, but joined my idiot friends.

LOL, I still use some moves when I get stuck fighting drunks, friends or drunken friends to contain them.

Oak Park River Forest, IL.

rico 01-04-2014 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10334577)
Oak Park River Forest, IL.

Yep, this. For whatever reason, I've had a difficult time including the "River Forest" part. With an exception of the 145 lbs match, we wrestled like dogshit against those guys. It was frustrating to watch...just appeared completely shell-shocked and confused in throwing, seatbelt and shot-finish situations. They made us look stupid.

rico 01-04-2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10334538)

In 1978 my dad set my high school's fastest pin record with a fall in :07. That record stood until 3 years ago when a kid he coached for 10 years in the youth program broke it in his first ever high school tourney ....he broke the record by scoring a fall in 6 seconds. :)

GloryDayz 01-04-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 10334471)
How'd they do?

They went 3-1. Great night.

Brianfo 02-04-2014 07:59 PM

Where you at Ricco? Sectionals start this weekend in Iowa. AAU districts are Sunday. Been some crazy matches this year in college. Check out Grajales vs Alton last weekend.

rico 02-04-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianfo (Post 10414590)
Where you at Ricco? Sectionals start this weekend in Iowa. AAU districts are Sunday. Been some crazy matches this year in college. Check out Grajales vs Alton last weekend.

I've got a premium flo account now. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the pointer!

I'm doing the podcast for our high school Sectional tournament this weekend and regional duals (considering we make it...we will) and Districts. Should be fun, but I've been nervous as hell...not about the podcast, but just about certain kids and whether we get them through to state or not.

I keep on forgetting about AAU districts...will be my youngest bro's last year doing it since he is in 8th grade. It's a tough tourney, but he is having just a beast-mode of a season this year. He's currently at 52-1 with 4 techs, 3 decisions and 45 falls. It's been crazy-awesome watching him do his thing this year. Hope it carries over to high school next year. Ironically, his 1 loss was vs. a Kansas kid named Jacob Beeson...4-2 in OT at the Park Hill Duals. It took me forever to actually learn that kid's name, for I wasn't there...that's like a million miles away from me, but finally asked one of his coaches and the dude knew the name.

Some interesting drama going on for the Iowa Hawkeyes this year. They have been switching off between Thomas Gilman and Cory Clark. Clark evidently wins the challenge matches, but has been struggling to maintain his weight...and Gilman has been compiling some big wins. Gilman took an embarrassing loss to Brancale from Minnesota. Looked like crap. Clark was back in the lineup a few days ago vs. Northwestern and looked solid. I guess it's not a bad problem to have for Iowa. What is crazy about it is the fact that both of them are 4 time state champions...Clark won 4 in Iowa, Gilman won 4 in Nebraska. Gilman is from Iowa, but went to a private high school across the border in Nebraska (Omaha Skutt). The crazy thing is that Clark and Gilman go wayyy back to the AAU days...in which Gilman beat Clark at AAU state in the semis when they were 8th graders in what was a crazy match that I will never, ever forget. Gilman ended up with first, Clark placed 3rd. 6-7 years later and they are battling for a varsity spot for the Hawkeyes.

TimBone 02-04-2014 09:32 PM

You guys watch Raw this past Monday night?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-07-2014 08:25 PM

Anybody going to NCAA championships this year in OKC? I've never been but I hear it's a pretty decent time. I was thinking about finding a day 1 or day 2 ticket and driving up from San Antonio. Any experiences with this event?

GloryDayz 02-07-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 10419895)
Anybody going to NCAA championships this year in OKC? I've never been but I hear it's a pretty decent time. I was thinking about finding a day 1 or day 2 ticket and driving up from San Antonio. Any experiences with this event?

No, but certainly something on my bucket list after my son's out of college.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-07-2014 09:08 PM

I just want to troll Iowa fans

Brianfo 02-07-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 10419952)
I just want to troll Iowa fans

That's pretty easy to do. However, I think Hawks will surprise and finish a strong second. That's really all that's up for grabs. Cael and PSU will win another title pretty convincingly.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-07-2014 09:45 PM

Despite their boring wrestlers, Iowa is definitely in a good position. They could upset PSU if all things go right. And next year they'll be right back in the race...unfortunately.

Brianfo 02-07-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 10420021)
Despite their boring wrestlers, Iowa is definitely in a good position. They could upset PSU if all things go right. And next year they'll be right back in the race...unfortunately.

I agree they are boring wrestlers. Tony Ramos is the exception. I used to hate him, now I find myself rooting for him. Love the staredown.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-07-2014 10:29 PM

Not a fan of Ramos. Though he does create action that makes for good matches. Loved seeing him get stuck by Joe Colon. Clark at least will bring more than Gilman at 125. Other than that I really only enjoy watching St. John. Guess the guys are really learning a lot from the king of snoozers--Ryan Morningstar

Brianfo 02-07-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 10420092)
Not a fan of Ramos. Though he does create action that makes for good matches. Loved seeing him get stuck by Joe Colon. Clark at least will bring more than Gilman at 125. Other than that I really only enjoy watching St. John. Guess the guys are really learning a lot from the king of snoozers--Ryan Morningstar

You mean Morningstall. St john wrestles boring matches too. Ramos won't loose another match this season. Write it down.

rico 02-08-2014 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 10420092)

Morningstar lost his first ever wrestling match in high school. To my brother. Man, I was brother-buffoon in that match...lucky I didn't have some Lisbon dudes wanting to fight me. :D

I love the guy, but man...like watching paint dry.

Joe Colon is the shit. I'm rooting for him on the college scene, moreso than I am rooting for pretty much anyone.

rico 02-08-2014 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 10419895)

I've never watched the NCAA championships in person...with my brothers and I being split so far in age, I've always been pre-occupied with the youth and high school scene and have never had time for it. And in college, despite the fact that I was a wild, wild, drunk-ass, party animal...I wrestled and had the time to follow it...but during that phase my attention was elsewhere...either that or I just forgot everything from that phase in my life.

If you want to troll some Iowa fans, go to hawkeyereport.com... easy as hell to troll those guys. I've never done it personally, but have seen countless others do it.

I have a difficult time being exclusively an Iowa fan. The reason being, the Iowa Hawkeye wrestling fan base is just awful...these people act despicable at home events. It's embarrassing to be a part of, really. I just kind of pick and choose a bunch of wrestlers who I root for and don't root for a particular team because of that. I tend to follow Iowa more, simply because it's Iowa Hawkeye wrestling that I am exposed to constantly, but man...that fan base....they are obnoxious...and easy as hell to troll from what I've noticed. :)

rico 02-08-2014 03:39 AM

Ugh, I've got to commentate the Sectional tournament tomorrow in Washington, IA via podcast and I can't freaking sleep.

Btw, for any Iowans or anyone interested in Iowa high school wrestling, you can listen to the podcast tomorrow, starting at 11:45 AM...here is the link:

http://www.mediapolisnews.com/extra.html

MahiMike 02-08-2014 09:52 AM

I don't even know if they have wrestling in Florida. I'd have to check.

GloryDayz 02-08-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 10420362)
I don't even know if they have wrestling in Florida. I'd have to check.

http://www.ncwa.net/teams

University of Central Florida
University of North Florida
Florida A&M University
Florida Gulf Coast University
Florida Institute of Technology
Florida International University
Florida State University
Tallahassee Community College
University of Florida
University of Miami
University of South Florida

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-08-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 10420244)
Ugh, I've got to commentate the Sectional tournament tomorrow in Washington, IA via podcast and I can't freaking sleep.

Btw, for any Iowans or anyone interested in Iowa high school wrestling, you can listen to the podcast tomorrow, starting at 11:45 AM...here is the link:

http://www.mediapolisnews.com/extra.html

Did some research on track. Congrats to your bro at sectionals. Is Assumption still in the same district? Sucks since y'all are seemingly the two best 2A teams in the state. Getting your 120 pounder through to state would be huge.

rico 02-08-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy lost the toss (Post 10421043)
Did some research on track. Congrats to your bro at sectionals. Is Assumption still in the same district? Sucks since y'all are seemingly the two best 2A teams in the state. Getting your 120 pounder through to state would be huge.

Thanks man! Assumption isn't in our district, but Albia is...Albia is a good traditional tournament team. I think they are ranked 2nd. Shea will be the favorite in the bracket next week considering he is the only ranked kid, but no one at districts is ever anyone to take lightly... Expecting to see every opponent at the top of their games.

Our 120 lber placed 3rd at 106 lbs last year, but has been a bit small at 120 lbs this year...today he gave the returning 113 lb state champ a run for his money. I think the final score ended up being 8-7...was a great match...Our 120 lber has seemed undersized all season, but actually looked like a 120 lber today...I think he has grown physically into the spot.

If we get our heavyweight through, I will be so pumped. He has come so far from last season.

Now off to districts for my 8th grade bro tomorrow...hoping for an all-around good weekend for both of them.

Today was fun.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-08-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 10421468)
Thanks man! Assumption isn't in our district, but Albia is...Albia is a good traditional tournament team. I think they are ranked 2nd. Shea will be the favorite in the bracket next week considering he is the only ranked kid, but no one at districts is ever anyone to take lightly... Expecting to see every opponent at the top of their games.

Our 120 lber placed 3rd at 106 lbs last year, but has been a bit small at 120 lbs this year...today he gave the returning 113 lb state champ a run for his money. I think the final score ended up being 8-7...was a great match...Our 120 lber has seemed undersized all season, but actually looked like a 120 lber today...I think he has grown physically into the spot.

If we get our heavyweight through, I will be so pumped. He has come so far from last season.

Now off to districts for my 8th grade bro tomorrow...hoping for an all-around good weekend for both of them.

Today was fun.

Good deal. I was looking at last year's district results and saw Assumption was in district 1 with y'all. I knew your 120 pounder was tough, but thought he might catch a tough bracket with Green and the Assumption kid (Gould). Just top 2 advance, right? That's why I was thinking it would be a crucial weight. But Im glad to hear they aren't in the same district this year.

Pitt Gorilla 02-08-2014 09:28 PM

Northern Iowa destroyed Iowa state today.