ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Bruce Arians has accepted four-year deal with Cardinals (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269022)

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-17-2013 07:17 PM

Bruce Arians has accepted four-year deal with Cardinals

Mike Jurecki‏@mikejurecki

NFL Network reporting Bruce Arians has been offered the head coaching position w/ the Cardinals, trying to confirm.

Mike Jurecki‏@mikejurecki

Hearing the situation w/ the Cards & Ray Horton is tense after a meeting the other nite w/ Steve Keim, Horton is under contract 1 more yr.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter

Bruce Arians has accepted four-year deal, with a team option for a fifth year, as head coach with Arizona Cardinals.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 07:19 PM

Cue up zilla saying this isn't true
Posted via Mobile Device

jd1020 01-17-2013 07:19 PM

Well... when you wait til all the candidates are gone and you are down to Arians and Haley...

-King- 01-17-2013 07:20 PM

Where's Chiefszilla?

Gadzooks 01-17-2013 07:21 PM

This is odd since they don't have a QB to guru in AZ.
Oh wait, they can just draft Geno in the 1st. Problem solved...

Hammock Parties 01-17-2013 07:27 PM

Bruce Arians has accepted four-year deal, with a team option for a fifth year, as head coach with Arizona Cardinals. — @AdamSchefter

Brock 01-17-2013 07:27 PM

You were saying, zilla?

SAUTO 01-17-2013 07:28 PM

LMAO
Wonder what spin zilla will put out there
Posted via Mobile Device

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-17-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9329311)
You were saying, zilla?

What did he say?

FloridaMan88 01-17-2013 07:29 PM

Good hire.

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9329285)
Where's Chiefszilla?

I'm here. Only on CP would people try to spin this situation like Arians was hired as some kind of a prize candidate.

Sorry, I don't get the love for the guy. He's already butchering the DC situation so he can bring one of his incompetent friends along.

Ace Gunner 01-17-2013 07:30 PM

Good for him and the Cards

Brock 01-17-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329320)
I'm here. Only on CP would people try to spin this situation like Arians was hired as some kind of a prize candidate.

Sorry, I don't get the love for the guy. He's already butchering the DC situation so he can bring one of his incompetent friends along.

points and laughs

SAUTO 01-17-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329320)

You are a ****ing idiot.

it had been reported all over that Horton would want to leave if he didn't get the hc job. So don't blame arians for that dumbass
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 01-17-2013 07:32 PM

So can we fire Sutton now? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-17-2013 07:35 PM

Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora

Bruce Arians has agreed to a contract to coach the Cardinals. Could end up bringing Todd Bowles as his DC if Eagles let him go

bevischief 01-17-2013 07:35 PM

:popcorn:

I don't care as long as it is not in the AFC West. But will watch to see what happens.

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9329325)
points and laughs

He got hired by the Cardinals. They have been embarrassingly awful in their head coaching search. He was the 8th guy hired and he was the 4th guy on the Cardinals' list.

Only on CP would we try to spin it like the Cardinals made some kind of a monster hire. They hired their plan B.

tk13 01-17-2013 07:39 PM

The guy does a good job with QB's but I never understood this board's obsession with him as a clear favorite above so many other candidates.

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9329337)
Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora

Bruce Arians has agreed to a contract to coach the Cardinals. Could end up bringing Todd Bowles as his DC if Eagles let him go

Arians is going to hire Bowles, they're going to run a 2-gap 3-4, and he wants to be a head coach / playcaller. They are basically getting Kansas City West with this hire.

AussieChiefsFan 01-17-2013 07:40 PM

:hmmm:

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9329349)
The guy does a good job with QB's but I never understood this board's obsession with him as a clear favorite above so many other candidates.

Exactly where I stand. He's a good solid coordinator, but he's NOT going to be a good head coach.

Brock 01-17-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329341)
He got hired by the Cardinals. They have been embarrassingly awful in their head coaching search. He was the 8th guy hired and he was the 4th guy on the Cardinals' list.

Only on CP would we try to spin it like the Cardinals made some kind of a monster hire. They hired their plan B.

Only you would try to spin this as "See? I was right". Man up, bitch. You were wrong.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329341)

But you were saying tonight he would not be hired, he hasn't had an interview in thirty years etc.

No one says it's a monster hire. Most are just laughing at your dumbass
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9329356)
Only you would try to spin this as "See? I was right". Man up, bitch. You were wrong.

What am I wrong about?

CP listed him as the hot candidate. How in the world can you look at the hiring in this offseason and suggest he was anything close to that? He wasn't on half the teams' radars, and was ultimately passed up by seven teams.

The Jags hired Mularkey last year. So that means that they made some genius head coaching decision simply because he was hired?

SAUTO 01-17-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329364)
What am I wrong about?

CP listed him as the hot candidate. How in the world can you look at the hiring in this offseason and suggest he was anything close to that? He wasn't on half the teams' radars, and was ultimately passed up by seven teams.

The Jags hired Mularkey last year. So that means that they made some genius head coaching decision simply because he was hired?

Go back to the who hired the best thread and read your posts.

You are wrong
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz 01-17-2013 07:47 PM

Steelers wouldn't release Haley? Understandable.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 07:48 PM

Hell you said you were calling out people for saying you were a dumbass because you thought he wouldn't be hired.

Dumbass. He was hired
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9329368)
Go back to the who hired the best thread and read your posts.

You are wrong
Posted via Mobile Device

I said he was overrated. I didn't say he wouldn't be hired. I knew AZ was between him and Gruden.

He was #1 or in the top 3 on everyone's list. And he ended up as a plan B to the 8th team, in a market where there was nobody left.

He wasn't a coveted head coaching candidate at all. He was scraps. I'm not wrong about that.

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9329371)
Steelers wouldn't release Haley? Understandable.

The claim is that Haley was asking for a lot of money from Arizona because he was happy with this situation.

Let that sink in for a minute. The Cards went to Arians, after Haley basically turned them down.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329378)
I said he was overrated. I didn't say he wouldn't be hired. I knew AZ was between him and Gruden.

He was #1 or in the top 3 on everyone's list. And he ended up as a plan B to the 8th team, in a market where there was nobody left.

He wasn't a coveted head coaching candidate at all. He was scraps. I'm not wrong about that.

You did say he wouldn't be hired. You were crowing about him not being hired.

And not "everyone" had him top three candidate wise.

A few? Yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 01-17-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329385)
The claim is that Haley was asking for a lot of money from Arizona because he was happy with this situation.

Let that sink in for a minute. The Cards went to Arians, after Haley basically turned them down.

link?
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9329376)
Hell you said you were calling out people for saying you were a dumbass because you thought he wouldn't be hired.

Dumbass. He was hired
Posted via Mobile Device

I did not say he wasn't going to be hired. Exaggerate away, dumbass.

I am saying it was overrated and it was telling that he hasn't been hired yet, after seven coaches were hired over him.

Only on CP would we say this guy is the #1 guy, then claim victory because he went #8.

Brock 01-17-2013 07:51 PM

Haley turned down a HC job?

Jesus ****.

ROFLROFLROFL

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-17-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9329388)
link?
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rice-for-cards

SAUTO 01-17-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329392)
I did not say he wasn't going to be hired. Exaggerate away, dumbass.

I am saying it was overrated and it was telling that he hasn't been hired yet, after seven coaches were hired over him.

Only on CP would we say this guy is the #1 guy, then claim victory because he went #8.

You are a ****ing idiot.

I didn't even want the guy btw.

You are a ****ing idiot and look like yourself after crowing about him not being hired and literally a hour later he was.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9329388)
link?
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rice-for-cards

Hammock Parties 01-17-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9329394)
Haley turned down a HC job?

Jesus ****.

ROFLROFLROFL

Know your limitations.

Micjones 01-17-2013 07:53 PM

Damn you, Bruce!
If you'd done this a week ago we could've had Horton as our DC.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9329397)

Lol. He is a drooling moron.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9329398)
You are a ****ing idiot.

You are a ****ing idiot and look like yourself after crowing about him not being hired and literally a hour later he was.
Posted via Mobile Device

Go re-read the thread, dickhole.

tk13 01-17-2013 07:54 PM

That's brutal. But I can see Haley not wanting to go somewhere where his superiors might make his life difficult.

Cmd'r&Chief 01-17-2013 07:54 PM

What a dip shit. I would have chose the Bears, much more polished team.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329403)
Go re-read the thread, dickhole.

I read the thread tonight dumbass.

You were breaking your arm to pat your back over him not being hired.

It's there.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmd'r&Chief (Post 9329405)
What a dip shit. I would have chose the Bears, much more polished team.

That wasn't his choice to make.

Brock 01-17-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9329398)
You are a ****ing idiot.

Posted via Mobile Device

Now it's "weeellll, he was the last guy hired, so that validates what I've been saying......." and "the only reason he got the job is because Toddy didn't want it...."

ROFLROFLROFL

SAUTO 01-17-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9329410)
Now it's "weeellll, he was the last guy hired, so that validates what I've been saying......." and "the only reason he got the job is because Toddy didn't want it...."

ROFLROFLROFL

Yep.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9329410)

ROFLROFLROFL

You're an idiot.

You were all over Arians' nutsack, and now you're trying to celebrate him being the #8 choice. And being a plan B to Todd ****ing Haley. '

But by all means... nitpick over the idea that I said he hasn't been hired yet, and he happened to get hired. He got hired by a team that led a ridiculously incompetent head coaching search after the entire coaching market bottomed out.

Brock 01-17-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329421)
You're an idiot.

You were all over Arians' nutsack, and now you're trying to celebrate him being the #8 choice. And being a plan B to Todd ****ing Haley. '

But by all means... nitpick over the idea that I said he hasn't been hired yet, and he happened to get hired. He got hired by a team that led a ridiculously incompetent head coaching search after the entire coaching market bottomed out.

You stupid ****. Don't tell me I was all over Arians' nutsack, all I ever said to you was that he was going to be hired as a head coach this year, while you farted out a bunch of psychobabble as usual about how the Colts were just riding the emotions of Pagano's cancer. You dumb, dumb ****.

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-17-2013 08:12 PM

Jim Trotter‏@SI_JimTrotter

I'd say NFL owners should be ashamed, but that would require them to know what the word means. #headcoachhires

So the owners are saying there wasn't a single minority qualified to fill ONE of the EIGHT head-coaching vacancies? Happy birthday, MLK.

Michael M‏@YankeesJets2310

@SI_JimTrotter The nerve of them to be able to choose who they want to coach the team that they own. Only in America.

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 08:14 PM

Yeah this race bullshit is absurd.

Owners can hire who they want.

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 08:14 PM

Just admit you were wrong already about him getting a job.

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9329428)
You stupid ****. Don't tell me I was all over Arians' nutsack, all I ever said to you was that he was going to be hired as a head coach this year, while you farted out a bunch of psychobabble as usual about how the Colts were just riding the emotions of Pagano's cancer. You dumb, dumb ****.

I said Arians was going to win coach of the year and deserved it. And I said that he would get hired by some team that was chasing after a shiny object. But I also said he is a highly overrated coach, and given the season he had and how lukewarm teams were to hire him, that says a lot.

Feel free to look at any Arians thread from ages ago. They all say the same thing. Don't re-invent history.

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329378)

He interviewed for 3 of 8 jobs. Scraps for a head coaching job? Get ****ing lost here.

What a straw man argument you've created here.

The Cardinals could have waited for Greg Roman at this point. They didn't.

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9329443)
Just admit you were wrong already about him getting a job.

I make a lot of dumbass comments, but when I make them, I stand by them and don't lie my way out of them.

I never said he wouldn't get a job, even months ago. I said he'd get a job and even said repeatedly he deserved coach of the year, but that he was a highly overrated head coaching candidate.

Mr. Laz 01-17-2013 08:22 PM

Haley was just too good for the cards

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9329451)
He interviewed for 3 of 8 jobs. Scraps for a head coaching job? Get ****ing lost here.

What a straw man argument you've created here.

The Cardinals could have waited for Greg Roman at this point. They didn't.

The Chargers hired a GM who came from the Colts -- he didn't hire Arians. Arians was passed over in Philly for Gus Bradley, until they realized they could get Chip Kelly. He wasn't even interviewed by 5 of the teams. And he was hired in Arizona, only after they got pretty much rejected by McCoy and Haley.

He got hired. I just don't think he's a good hire, and let's face it, that story above indicates that he wasn't exactly a prized candidate. I think he'll do okay as a head coach, but I think it's clear that he wasn't the top 3 candidate people made him out to be.

jd1020 01-17-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9329434)

I'd say NFL owners should be ashamed, but that would require them to know what the word means. #headcoachhires

So the owners are saying there wasn't a single minority qualified to fill ONE of the EIGHT head-coaching vacancies? Happy birthday, MLK.

Michael M‏@YankeesJets2310

@SI_JimTrotter The nerve of them to be able to choose who they want to coach the team that they own. Only in America.

Didn't take long for the black man to cry race!

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329457)
The Chargers hired a GM who came from the Colts -- he didn't hire Arians. Arians was passed over in Philly for Gus Bradley, until they realized they could get Chip Kelly. He wasn't even interviewed by 5 of the teams. And he was hired in Arizona, only after they got pretty much rejected by McCoy and Haley.

He got hired. I just don't think he's a good hire, and let's face it, that story above indicates that he wasn't exactly a prized candidate. I think he'll do okay as a head coach, but I think it's clear that he wasn't the top 3 candidate people made him out to be.

He was a good candidate who deserved a shot.

Ranking candidates now? That's atrocious.

He's not Chip Kelly. He's not Andy Reid. He's on par with Mike McCoy.

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9329456)
Haley was just too good for the cards

The important part of the story is that the Cards' second option after Reid was Haley, which says a lot about the competence of the hiring organization. And this is coming from a guy who has defended Haley many times in the past -- if you look in this head coaching market and think Haley is your #2 guy, your front office is not doing a very good search.

Hammock Parties 01-17-2013 08:25 PM

Zilla getting owned hard again.

Bump some of his posts about Romeo and Cassel for even more laughs.

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9329465)
Zilla getting owned hard again.

Bump some of his posts about Romeo and Cassel for even more laughs.

I gave Cassel way too much rope for a year and a half. I was one of Romeo's biggest critics when he was hired.

mlyonsd 01-17-2013 08:36 PM

Is it just me or was I the only one thinking he was the guy with cancer part of the season?

-King- 01-17-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9329482)
Is it just me or was I the only one thinking he was the guy with cancer part of the season?

It's just you.

KCUnited 01-17-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9329482)

Just you and Te'o.

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9329460)
He was a good candidate who deserved a shot.

Ranking candidates now? That's atrocious.

He's not Chip Kelly. He's not Andy Reid. He's on par with Mike McCoy.

I wouldn't be going off on this if CP put him on par with Mike McCoy. Months ago, they were putting him as the #1 hot candidate, above Andy Reid. Above Gruden and Cowher and Chip Kelly.

I respectfully disagree with you that he's a good candidate. I still think they're hiring a more progressive version of Norv Turner. A guy who will be acceptably mediocre. I'm happy for the guy, but am glad he's not coaching our team.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329495)
I wouldn't be going off on this if CP put him on par with Mike McCoy. Months ago, they were putting him as the #1 hot candidate, above Andy Reid. Above Gruden and Cowher and Chip Kelly.

I respectfully disagree with you that he's a good candidate. I still think they're hiring a more progressive version of Norv Turner. A guy who will be acceptably mediocre. I'm happy for the guy, but am glad he's not coaching our team.

So now cp is they?

all lumped together?

**** yourself
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 01-17-2013 09:44 PM

Boss chief is the main guy that was tooting arians.

I guess that is a majority
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9329645)
So now cp is they?

all lumped together?

**** yourself
Posted via Mobile Device

Go to any head coaching thread, and find how many of them had Arians at #1 or in their top 3. He was widely regarded as one of the top head coach candidates. Incidentally, McCoy was high on many people's lists, but is suddenly being trashed as a head coach.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 09:47 PM

And why would you label him "acceptably mediocre"?

His stint as a interim hc? Isn't that all we have to go on?

or his stint as a successful oc?
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9329655)
And why would you label him "acceptably mediocre"?

His stint as a interim hc? Isn't that all we have to go on?

or his stint as a successful oc?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok good, can we have a real conversation now?

I've followed Arians for a while. I have several Steelers buddies and I've watched more than a few of his games. Arians is a player's coach to the extreme. He was Big Ben's best friend even as his life went off the rails, and he coddled him. And I was just never impressed with the hustle or technique of some of his offensive players outside of the QB. That's fine as an OC, but it's not a quality you want out of a head coach. He is too much like coaches we've had. He's going to coddle some of his players, he's going to bring in some of his buddies to coach, and he's going to coach a team that (like Norv's Chargers) will use an effective scheme manned by players who will play soft. I think in 2 years, you have Norv's Chargers, except with a more innovative scheme. Oh, and he wants to call his own plays, because he can't hand control over to a coordinator who can outrule him.

I also have a firm belief that NFL owners aren't stupid. Not all of them. He has gone 30 years in very highly visible positions. He coordinated a Super Bowl offense. Never a SINGLE interview until this year when he turned 60. And during the interview process, even though he was considered a hot candidate, he was clearly not considered cream of the crop or even close in this year's offseason. I think there are less than a handful of coaches who made the Super Bowl after their first hire was after age 50, let alone 60. There's a reason for that.

I think he will groom a good QB. But right now, his defensive plan is off to a terrible start. And we've yet to see if he can perform the same magic without a once-in-a-lifetime QB that falls into his lap.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 10:10 PM

Are you sure he has never interviewed before?
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9329715)
Are you sure he has never interviewed before?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes. He said so himself that this is the first year he ever got a head coaching interview.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329734)
Yes. He said so himself that this is the first year he ever got a head coaching interview.

hmmm
Posted via Mobile Device