ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Windows 8 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265863)

KevB 01-11-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9305805)
TBH it didn't need to be separate, but there should have been an option in the Control Panel or something

New Metro
Traditional Windows Desktop

If you have a tablet or touchscreen, the metro is nice and easy. With a standard desktop/laptop, it is definatly a bit awkward, at best.

I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere, but kaplin's sig is utterly mesmerizing. I wanna be friends with it.

DaveNull 02-17-2013 09:39 AM

I managed to get my hands on a Windows 8 machine and wow is it bad. Maybe it's the hardware (it's an Acer laptop and the build quality reminds me of my old Asus 4G Surf) but I kind of doubt it.

Things that are nice:

- The ability to sync settings across multiple machines
- The weather app
- searching for apps works well, but just looking for "windows update" didn't return anything
- I like the design direction on a lot of the typefaces. The minimal presentation sure looks good on a mockup, but doesn't seem to work as well in reality.
- Anti-aliasing seems to be different, but that could be the screen. Sublime Text looked pretty good right out of the box without any tweaks.

Things that suck

- All the crap that Acer pre-loaded
- "Your internet connection isn't fast enough to download this app"
- Window management in Metro
- having to sign up for a Windows account so you can attach a Gmail account to the Mail app

Things that are completely unexplainable

- If you move the mouse to the bottom corner to show the start icon (or whatever it's called) and move the mouse a pixel away to click on the actual icon it disappears.
- No one unified set of settings and preferences
- No progress bar or status of app installs from the store (that I could see)

I'm going to pull an image of this thing for science and then send it along. Like Vista, this is an OS that I'll hopefully be interacting with through my forensics tools instead of using it.

-King- 02-22-2013 04:00 PM

Getting a new laptop today with W8. I already feel as if I'm going to hate it and I'm not even a big computer guy. I didn't even really hate Windows vista.

DaFace 02-22-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9426168)
Getting a new laptop today with W8. I already feel as if I'm going to hate it and I'm not even a big computer guy. I didn't even really hate Windows vista.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

candyman 02-22-2013 06:16 PM

Its a well known fact that every other Windows OS sucks. 7 was great so I don't understand why people are surprised that 8 isnt.

007 02-22-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9426423)

I prefer Classic Shell.

ArrowheadHawk 02-23-2013 09:50 AM

I really like windows 8. One ty out know how to use it it works better than 7.

Braincase 02-24-2013 10:26 PM

If you do any sort of Powershell scripting, check out the Powershell ISE in Windows 8. One of the single best features ever.

Braincase 02-24-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9426423)

Start8 rocks. Their full-blown add-on is very interesting.

-King- 02-25-2013 08:44 PM

I'm getting used to it. It's actually not that bad.

Saulbadguy 02-26-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9435172)
If you do any sort of Powershell scripting, check out the Powershell ISE in Windows 8. One of the single best features ever.

Looks like they ripped off PowerGUI.

Baby Lee 10-04-2013 07:43 PM

Now that people have used it for a while, what's the verdict.

I recent came into some RAM, so I'm going from 4 GB to 32 GB. Was in Win7 x32. So I have to decide between Win7 x64 [already have] or Win8.

No touchscreen, single 24" LCD. i5 2500K w/32GB, Invidia GeForce 9800

Primary uses

AV stream/viewing/listening
internet
CAD/Office/Adobe, plus an array of engineering/mathematic programs [Matlab, PSpice, ModelSIM, etc], photograph tweaking, storage, and sorting.

Have an AVG 2014 license already.

So are the performance, stability, security, or other aspects related to my primary uses, advancements worth the change?

SLAG 10-04-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10047466)
Now that people have used it for a while, what's the verdict.

I recent came into some RAM, so I'm going from 4 GB to 32 GB. Was in Win7 x32. So I have to decide between Win7 x64 [already have] or Win8.

No touchscreen, single 24" LCD. i5 2500K w/32GB, Invidia GeForce 9800

Primary uses

AV stream/viewing/listening
internet
CAD/Office/Adobe, plus an array of engineering/mathematic programs [Matlab, PSpice, ModelSIM, etc], photograph tweaking, storage, and sorting.

Have an AVG 2014 license already.

So are the performance, stability, security, or other aspects related to my primary uses, advancements worth the change?

Stick with Windows 7

listopencil 10-04-2013 07:59 PM

I got my daughter a new laptop with Win8. Hated it, her and I. I grabbed a free program that changed it to look like 7 and it's fine.

listopencil 10-04-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9426569)
I prefer Classic Shell.

I think that's the one I used.