ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Windows 8 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265863)

kcxiv 12-14-2012 02:16 AM

lol, once you figure out how to use it and where stuff is (yes, a little learning curve for people who arent good with computers) its pretty damned easy.

I have no issues with the lay out and how to use it. Its pretty easy once you mess with it for about 15 minutes.

htismaqe 12-14-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9206883)
lol, once you figure out how to use it and where stuff is (yes, a little learning curve for people who arent good with computers) its pretty damned easy.

I have no issues with the lay out and how to use it. Its pretty easy once you mess with it for about 15 minutes.

Multitasking is virtually impossible.

ArrowheadHawk 12-14-2012 09:05 AM

Damn people, change is not bad. You had to learn how to use windows the first time. I personally love windows 8 and have no issue multitasking. I can't wait to have virtually the same os on all my electronic devices.

loochy 12-14-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 9207108)
Damn people, change is not bad. You had to learn how to use windows the first time. I personally love windows 8 and have no issue multitasking. I can't wait to have virtually the same os on all my electronic devices.

It's not always good either.

htismaqe 12-14-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 9207108)

Change is not bad.

It's also not always necessary.

My PC is not a tablet or a smartphone. So therefore, I can do without a tablet OS on my PC.

DaFace 12-14-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9206883)

I gave it a full week before giving up. I know I'm a power user, but I just got really tired of having to hunt through five pages of scrolling with my mouse just to find a program I want to use. I know you can pin things, but I use such a variety of apps that it'd take me forever to find things.

Not to mention that Metro is a completely different ecosystem than the core Windows OS. It'd be one thing if they were fluidly merged, but switching back and forth all the time is just stupid.

KCWolfman 12-14-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 9206544)
Just got a new laptop today with Windows 8. My first reaction is wanting to shut most of these new features off. Initially hate the metro start menu.

Guess if you put applications you use on the quick launch or desktop you don't really have to use it?

That's what I do. I still get the benefits of the fast startup and use my old 7 style desktop.

KCWolfman 12-14-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9207129)
Change is not bad.

My PC is not a tablet or a smartphone. So therefore, I can do without a tablet OS on my PC.

Yeah, the drawn password thing is ridiculous for a desktop without a touch sensitive screen.

penguinz 12-14-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9207168)
I gave it a full week before giving up. I know I'm a power user, but I just got really tired of having to hunt through five pages of scrolling with my mouse just to find a program I want to use. I know you can pin things, but I use such a variety of apps that it'd take me forever to find things.

Not to mention that Metro is a completely different ecosystem than the core Windows OS. It'd be one thing if they were fluidly merged, but switching back and forth all the time is just stupid.

Just start typing the name of the app and it comes up. No need to scroll and hunt.

DaFace 12-14-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9207954)
Just start typing the name of the app and it comes up. No need to scroll and hunt.

...or I could just use the old start menu and find what I need in two clicks.

penguinz 12-14-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9207971)
...or I could just use the old start menu and find what I need in two clicks.

Or you can learn to adapt to a faster method. ;) Using the mouse to hunt and click is time consuming.

DaFace 12-14-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9208052)
Or you can learn to adapt to a faster method. ;) Using the mouse to hunt and click is time consuming.

I suppose if you have trouble with the concept of alphabetization, you're right. :p

kcxiv 12-14-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9207168)

if you click on the right corner and hit the search button EVERYTHING pops up. ALl your apps/programs and everything. Imo,i think its faster then the start button menu. Maybe not by much, but its faster and everything is there you need.

Miles 12-14-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9207129)
Change is not bad.

Yeah its just really goofy to have two completely different interfaces like this. I keep wondering what I am supposed to do with the tablet like apps with a laptop.

This touchpad swipe to toggle between the desktop and metro is also driving me nuts. Need to shut it off.

TomSlash 12-16-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief (Post 9061918)
One word: SPEED

W8 is FAAAAAASSSSSSSTT

By far this is the fastest OS (with a GUI) I have ever used. Server 2012 is the same.

makes your screen look like a fisher price though boy!