ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Windows 8 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265863)

Imon Yourside 11-02-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9077622)
Well in my experience, Win8 does boot faster on a wide variety of machines. And that seems to be the overwhelming consensus from everywhere else too. Googling Windows 8 boot time shows just about every link reporting faster boot times. There are even reports that running Win8 on a SSD boots so fast that you only have 200ms to hit F8 if you want Safe Mode, and it's not enough time for most people to catch it. That's part of the reason MS introduced the Boot Options within the OS.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Mic...ons,15738.html

I reboot my machine every 4-7 days, so waiting 30 seconds isn't that big of a deal to me.

HC_Chief 11-02-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9077789)
Yeah, I hadn't done any real tweaking. Does that mean that by default, Windows 8 has more "crap" in startup?

I don't think so. The list on my laptop looked similar to what was listed in W7 (not surprising, as I performed an upgrade).

Just something to test.

kcxiv 11-23-2012 12:52 AM

Finally installed windows 8 and my computer is like not 2-4 years old, its been a while since i upgraded and windows 8 is running faster then windows 7 so far. I only have 4 gigs of ram and so far apps are popping up very very fast. Its pretty impressive so far.

Anyways, i dont mind switching since its so damned easy to do. Also, i did a clean install.

RippedmyFlesh 11-23-2012 02:51 PM

[quote=KC Fish;9077512]Win8 uses a different boot method than Win7. It's a sort of hybrid boot that incorporates a lot of hibernation behavior instead of the traditional cold boot. The kernel isn't completely closed at shutdown like in previous Windows versions, it's actually in a hibernation state.

Does disconnecting power(pull battery and power cord) get you to the point that someone could F8 at start up ?
I am thinking of a machine that has issues like malware.

Fish 11-23-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh (Post 9144287)
Does disconnecting power(pull battery and power cord) get you to the point that someone could F8 at start up ?
I am thinking of a machine that has issues like malware.

You can still F8 at startup just like you've always been able to. That feature is still the same. The only difference there is that the amount of time you have to hit F8 before it continues to boot has been greatly reduced. It works the same way, it's just infinitely faster now.

SAUTO 11-23-2012 03:12 PM

Fish unrelated but you are the man on this...

My little one wants an I pad. Momma has the four, grandma has the three. She uses both but she is young and I'm thinking about the two with 16 gig. Is that enough for a young girl. Probably would put games on it she doesn't download movies or anything like that at this point
Posted via Mobile Device

RippedmyFlesh 11-23-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9144307)
You can still F8 at startup just like you've always been able to. That feature is still the same. The only difference there is that the amount of time you have to hit F8 before it continues to boot has been greatly reduced. It works the same way, it's just infinitely faster now.

Ty.
I've used it a little at work but will wait until I get new hardware at home before I try it. I never buy new computers for myself I always just piece together rigs from left over parts on jobs I have done. When I do break down and by some decent hardware I will use it at home.

Fish 11-23-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9144320)
Fish unrelated but you are the man on this...

My little one wants an I pad. Momma has the four, grandma has the three. She uses both but she is young and I'm thinking about the two with 16 gig. Is that enough for a young girl. Probably would put games on it she doesn't download movies or anything like that at this point
Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely. Unless you're planning on storing a bunch of movies or music on it, go for the 16GB for sure. The biggest games available for iPad are around 500-700MB. But most are much much smaller. My girl is 7, and she uses my iPad a great deal. Especially on road trips and such. Took her about 30 seconds to figure out navigation and apps. I have the 32GB model. That allows me to store about a dozen kids movies and a couple seasons of Phineas and Ferb and Scooby Doo, about 100 games, education apps, and interactive books, and I still have 7GB of free space on it.

Honestly, I think the iPad2 is still the best model. I'm a bigger fan of it than the new one.

SAUTO 11-23-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9144362)
Absolutely. Unless you're planning on storing a bunch of movies or music on it, go for the 16GB for sure. The biggest games available for iPad are around 500-700MB. But most are much much smaller. My girl is 7, and she uses my iPad a great deal. Especially on road trips and such. Took her about 30 seconds to figure out navigation and apps. I have the 32GB model. That allows me to store about a dozen kids movies and a couple seasons of Phineas and Ferb and Scooby Doo, about 100 games, education apps, and interactive books, and I still have 7GB of free space on it.

Honestly, I think the iPad2 is still the best model. I'm a bigger fan of it than the new one.

Mine is 7 also. She does all kinds of stuff on moms and grandmas. Thanks a ton, man. That's what I'm going with.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 11-23-2012 03:38 PM

Plus moms four is a 32. If we need some extra space.she doesn't use anywhere near that much at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device

GloryDayz 11-24-2012 07:36 PM

Since everything was headed the Win8 way, I did the $15 upgrade to the son's computer. Had some issues, but those were some quality hours spent with people in India.... ALPS Touchpad Utility wouldn't come out, and Win8 wouldn't load until it did! Camera didn't work until Dell Software was removed. And after a mere 4 months, Dell doesn't bother to tell you the Trend Micro won't work. At least that upgrade was free.

Over all, it is what it is. It is faster. It's a new interface, but hey, so was the first time I tried a Mac. It's not that hard.

I do hate how everything is tied to a Microsoft account. Seems very Mac-like! I'll figure ways around that too!

As for the Metro Start screen, Meh, it's fine. For those saying it causes cancer, haters are gonna hate!

It was worth $15 buck. And I'm sure a high school kid will love it.

Hammock Parties 11-24-2012 10:08 PM

Sounds horrible. My computer is fast enough.

ArrowheadHawk 12-08-2012 05:47 PM

Upgraded my laptop today. So far I like it. Seems to run faster. I have to get used to a few new things though. I also installed Office 2013 at the same time which is pretty cool also.

Deberg_1990 12-08-2012 07:05 PM

Just upgraded an old Dell pc to win 8 today. It's 5 years old and only has 2 gig of ram. Seems to run just fine so far. It will take some getting used to though. Anyone have a link for a tutorial or tips and tricks?
Posted via Mobile Device

Unsmooth-Moment 12-08-2012 07:22 PM

I like it so far. Haven't gotten to dig in too deep yet, but I like the interface.