ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Passports (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269275)

007 01-24-2013 04:29 PM

Passports

What has been your experience in obtaining a passport. How long did it take.

Bwana 01-24-2013 04:30 PM

The last time I got mine, it was 3 weeks, but it's all over the board. Go get it waaaaaaaaay early.

Frazod 01-24-2013 04:30 PM

Good thread. I think we're going to Europe later in the year, so I'll need one, too.

Rain Man 01-24-2013 04:31 PM

Couple of months, I think, but it's been awhile. That's for a renewal, so I don't know about getting a new one.

It might've been a little less than that.

DanT 01-24-2013 04:34 PM

I remember that it arrived well within the promised timeframe, somewhere around 75% or less of the maximum amount of time they said it would take, so I was pleased. I've forgotten whether I paid for the expedited service.

Best advice is to just go ahead and file the application well ahead of when you need the passport. That way, you can avoid the stress and expense of having to speed up the process.

BlackHelicopters 01-24-2013 04:35 PM

Apply way early, and use an Arabic name.

DaFace 01-24-2013 04:38 PM

My wife renewed hers last year, and I recall it taking about 1.5 months.

Rain Man 01-24-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT (Post 9348329)
I remember that it arrived well within the promised timeframe, somewhere around 75% or less of the maximum amount of time they said it would take, so I was pleased. I've forgotten whether I paid for the expedited service.

Best advice is to just go ahead and get the application well ahead of when you need it. That way, you can avoid the stress and expense of having to speed up the process.

Agreed. If you don't have a passport you should get one. When you decide to travel, you may have to mail your passport off to get a visa, and that can take some time. If you have to get the passport first and then get one or more visas, it can be quite the process and can screw up your schedule. It's a really bad feeling to be two weeks from your flight and you still don't have a passport and visa in your hands.

WV 01-24-2013 04:41 PM

I think they should ban passports, you could bring something scary back.

Bearcat 01-24-2013 04:44 PM

I got mine within a couple of weeks, but went the expedited route due to time constraints... not really relevant to the thread I guess, since you know, it costs money.

KCUnited 01-24-2013 04:45 PM

I had mine get "lost" in the mail along with my birth certificate when they mailed it. Soon enough after 9/11 that it was a giant headache. It was recommended to me after the fact that I should of obtained a certified copy of my birth certificate and sent that as opposed to my original copy. A rarity for sure, but something to think about.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-24-2013 04:47 PM

My wife had to get a new one last year. She expedited the process and it took less than two weeks. It's obviously significantly more expensive, but it works quickly. Smart move is to plan ahead and allow for an extra month in the case of backlogs.

pr_capone 01-24-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9348310)
Good thread. I think we're going to Europe later in the year, so I'll need one, too.

there is a passport station in Chicago. no need to wait at all for you good sir. just a 40 minute drive.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/npi...ncies_905.html

Rasputin 01-24-2013 04:52 PM

Go to the post office and find out every thing you need to bring. They can be picky and sticklers about things. I got mine to go to Mexico & it seemed like a big hassle and took several weeks proccess. It's a proccess.

luv 01-24-2013 04:55 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261460

mlyonsd 01-24-2013 05:03 PM

I got mine last March and it took about 3 weeks. Call ahead to the post office and ask them in particular what you need and if you need an appointment. I was lazy and had them take my picture.

007 01-24-2013 05:05 PM

Looks like I have to drive to lawrence if I want them to take my picture too. Where can I get a picture taken if I don't want to goto Lawrence?

Davechief 01-24-2013 05:05 PM

Took me about 2 weeks with an expedited shipping option. Wife requested one about the same time using standard shipping, took about 3 weeks.

007 01-24-2013 05:09 PM

what is teh difference between a passport and a visa and how do you know if you need a visa?

ChiefGator 01-24-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9348424)
Looks like I have to drive to lawrence if I want them to take my picture too. Where can I get a picture taken if I don't want to goto Lawrence?

You can actually print a digital picture now and use that. Actually, I used that for mine like eight years ago.

pr_capone 01-24-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

any drug store... walgreens or CVS have passport photo options

mlyonsd 01-24-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

I think most Walgreen's take them.

ChiefGator 01-24-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9348438)
what is teh difference between a passport and a visa and how do you know if you need a visa?

Where are you goin?

With most countries we are friends with and around us (and including Europe) you don't need a tourist Visa. For some countries though you need to apply for a tourist visa which embassies agree on and allows you to stay in the country for a certain period. Japan is a notable one, mostly because the visa covers an entire page of your passport and it fills up quick.

JoeyChuckles 01-24-2013 05:15 PM

I sent my application using all routine processing in September last year. I had my new passport back in 16 calendar days.

Bearcat 01-24-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_re...tates_citizens

PunkinDrublic 01-24-2013 05:40 PM

A couple of years ago when I went to Peru I got denied access to board because my dumbass left my passport in my jeans and it got damaged in the wash. It was still readable but the guy at the ticket counter said I would be denied entry into Peru if I tried to give them my damaged passport. Luckily the federal building in Dallas processes passports same day. My flight was on a Sunday, the ticket agent booked me for no charge a flight Monday night.
Monday morning I show up bright and early to the federal building and had to pay $250 to get my passport done. I literally had a friend drive me straight from the federal building to the airport for my trip. If I didn't live in a city where passports were processed I would have been screwed and not able to make the trip.

kcchiefsus 01-24-2013 05:43 PM

I just got mine a week ago, it took less than a month.

Setsuna 01-24-2013 05:54 PM

I'm black so they suspected me of lying about my certificates and never got one.

listopencil 01-24-2013 05:55 PM

Do you mean a real passport or the illegal one?

mr. tegu 01-24-2013 06:00 PM

You can do the application online and print off what you will need to take to the post office. This site will tell you what you need. It is really easy and quick. Don't just walk into the post offices out of nowhere. We did ours a few months ago and it was super easy.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

AustinChief 01-24-2013 06:04 PM

took about an hour at the Houston passport office. Really efficient and painless process to do it in person.

warpaint* 01-24-2013 06:06 PM

Got mine a couple yrs ago. Took roughly 2 months.

Rain Man 01-24-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9348549)
I'm black so they suspected me of lying about my certificates and never got one.

I told you not to submit a picture of an Asian woman on the application.

Fire Me Boy! 01-24-2013 06:13 PM

My voice is my passport.

007 01-24-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9348449)
Where are you goin?

With most countries we are friends with and around us (and including Europe) you don't need a tourist Visa. For some countries though you need to apply for a tourist visa which embassies agree on and allows you to stay in the country for a certain period. Japan is a notable one, mostly because the visa covers an entire page of your passport and it fills up quick.

Was looking into a Sandals resort in Montego Bay but seems to be a pipe dream now. The Airtran A+ rewards credits don't work as well for going there and we can't find any options for just a 4 night getaway that allows us to use the tickets.

looks like we are back to going to Vegas again. Kind of disappointed.

Rain Man 01-24-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9348613)
Was looking into a Sandals resort in Montego Bay but seems to be a pipe dream now. The Airtran A+ rewards credits don't work as well for going there and we can't find any options for just a 4 night getaway that allows us to use the tickets.

looks like we are back to going to Vegas again. Kind of disappointed.

Bummer on the Jamaica thing. Any vacation is a good vacation, though.

ChiefGator 01-24-2013 06:24 PM

Anyone ever send in their passport to get extra pages added? I need to do that and I'm not sure how long it takes...

bevischief 01-24-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9348553)
Do you mean a real passport or the illegal one?

Are the illegal ones cheaper?

Valiant 01-24-2013 06:29 PM

Got mine a few years ago, was suppose to take a few months.. Got it in 3 weeks without paying extra..

007 01-24-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9348623)
Bummer on the Jamaica thing. Any vacation is a good vacation, though.

Yeah, the wife is kind of upset with me for even bringing it up now. Had I known my rewards miles would have been limited on travel to Jamaica I wouldn't have even mentioned it to her. Live and learn I guess.

I hate that Vegas is starting to sound like a secondary option.

ChiefGator 01-24-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9348691)
Yeah, the wife is kind of upset with me for even bringing it up now. Had I known my rewards miles would have been limited on travel to Jamaica I wouldn't have even mentioned it to her. Live and learn I guess.

You could take Airtrain to Orlando, and then American to Montego Bay.. depending on price of course.

Rain Man 01-24-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Can you fly to a coastal place and then cruise there? I've used this site before and it's legit. They have some pretty good prices on cruises that stop in Jamaica. http://www.vacationstogo.com/ticker.cfm

007 01-24-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9348709)
You could take Airtrain to Orlando, and then American to Montego Bay.. depending on price of course.

nah, the whole point was to be able to fly free. We still have a limited budget to deal with and spending $2000 on staying at Sandals was pretty much the whole budget.

We just have to stick to US cities for this little getaway. I also think I will transfer all these airtran rewards over to southwest because there are not travel blocks on southwest.

alnorth 01-24-2013 06:55 PM

Get it a hell of a lot earlier than needed, mine took a month. I wasn't going anywhere in particular, I just wanted one and they are good for 10 years.

They aren't that expensive, almost everyone ought to have one, and they work perfectly fine as ID. Its a lot more convenient to hand that over to TSA in the airport than to dig your DL out of your wallet, and they look kinda cool, too.

Rain Man 01-24-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9348730)
nah, the whole point was to be able to fly free. We still have a limited budget to deal with and spending $2000 on staying at Sandals was pretty much the whole budget.

We just have to stick to US cities for this little getaway. I also think I will transfer all these airtran rewards over to southwest because there are not travel blocks on southwest.

The base price for a 7-day cruise starts around $800 for two people in an inside cabin. Assume that you'll add another 40% for miscellaneous cruise stuff, so that'll be about $1,100. Fly for free to the launch city.

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=23211

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=21172

Go to that site I mentioned, and do the advanced search for ships that stop at Montego Bay.

alnorth 01-24-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

A visa goes on a passport, on one of the blank pages. Some nations do not require a visa, but they all require at least a passport.

Rain Man 01-24-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9348743)
A visa goes on a passport, on one of the blank pages. Some nations do not require a visa, but they all require at least a passport.

If I remember right, they tightened the rules where you need a passport to get back into the country any time you leave now, right? So if you go to the Caribbean for the day and lose your passport, you're doomed to a life of wandering the earth, eating only what you find in third-world trash cans or on third-world beaches.

alnorth 01-24-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9348755)
If I remember right, they tightened the rules where you need a passport to get back into the country any time you leave now, right? So if you go to the Caribbean for the day and lose your passport, you're doomed to a life of wandering the earth, eating only what you find in third-world trash cans or on third-world beaches.

Thats better than being stuck in the airport terminal forever like in that one movie.

007 01-24-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9348740)
The base price for a 7-day cruise starts around $800 for two people in an inside cabin. Assume that you'll add another 40% for miscellaneous cruise stuff, so that'll be about $1,100. Fly for free to the launch city.

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=23211

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=21172

Go to that site I mentioned, and do the advanced search for ships that stop at Montego Bay.

thanks for the links. i'll keep an eye on that site.

crossbow 01-24-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Doesn't Wallgreens have a passport photo service? I got my picture done there, I think and got a nice little travel kit to go with it too. They developed the picture while I waited.

Saulbadguy 01-24-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9348806)
thanks for the links. i'll keep an eye on that site.

Most sites offer the same fares. They aren't allowed to undercut the fares by that much - the differences are in the bonuses. Go for fares with included gratuities.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-24-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

kinkos

mikeyis4dcats. 01-24-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Airtran goes to Cancun don't they?

007 01-24-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9348951)
Airtran goes to Cancun don't they?

Doesn't matter. Airtran international flights are an entirely different ballgame when it comes to rewards credits redemption.

houstonwhodat 01-24-2013 08:50 PM

If you really want to have fun go and get a TWIC card.

Lot's of nice Homeland Security background checks.

houstonwhodat 01-24-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow (Post 9348856)
Doesn't Wallgreens have a passport photo service? I got my picture done there, I think and got a nice little travel kit to go with it too. They developed the picture while I waited.

Yes they have a "passport" camera.

It has to be a certain size or the Post Office won't take it.

Dayze 01-24-2013 09:06 PM

Are u a spy?......do you go by "Hillis"?

Dartgod 01-24-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9348310)

Someone should warn France.

alpha_omega 01-24-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 9348513)
A couple of years ago when I went to Peru I got denied access to board because my dumbass left my passport in my jeans and it got damaged in the wash. It was still readable but the guy at the ticket counter said I would be denied entry into Peru if I tried to give them my damaged passport. Luckily the federal building in Dallas processes passports same day. My flight was on a Sunday, the ticket agent booked me for no charge a flight Monday night.
Monday morning I show up bright and early to the federal building and had to pay $250 to get my passport done. I literally had a friend drive me straight from the federal building to the airport for my trip. If I didn't live in a city where passports were processed I would have been screwed and not able to make the trip.

Holy shit! That must have been one hell of a stress-filled day.
Great story.

Sorter 01-24-2013 10:16 PM

It took me 15 minutes and they let me smile.

mr. tegu 01-24-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9348730)

Go to Turks and Caicos. It is actually pretty cheap and Grace Bay in Providenciales beach is always voted the best beach in the world.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travelers...estinations-g1

Everything is within ten minutes of the beach so you can just use the bikes that are available in all the hotels. We are going for 5 days 6 nights, including airfare, for $2,500. We are staying at Sands at Grace Bay.

http://www.hotels.com/mobile/hotelDe...e_newest_first

PunkinDrublic 01-24-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 9349357)
Holy shit! That must have been one hell of a stress-filled day.
Great story.

Yeah and I was told that day that there was no guarantee that I would get my passport done in time. My dream trip that took months and months of planning, almost went to shit because I was too lazy too empty my pockets before washing a pair of jeans.

007 01-25-2013 10:49 PM

screw it. We are going for it. Decided to just use half of my reward credits and pay the other half. Deal is just too good to pass up at this point.

Oh, and my wife is VERY happy.

TimeForWasp 01-26-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9348304)
What has been your experience in obtaining a passport. How long did it take.

Your mission, if you chose to accept it, is to get your passport before this thread leaves the front page.

007 01-26-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touchdown Kansas City !!! (Post 9352095)
Your mission, if you chose to accept it, is to get your passport before this thread leaves the front page.

tempting

007 01-27-2013 02:52 PM

Oh this is fun. Can't find my wifes birth certificate so we have to order it from another state which can take up to 8 weeks. Just can't win.

tmh 01-27-2013 03:01 PM

5 days for my first passport in 05. I got sent out of the country to a different country Nevis BVI, and was a last minute thing. I got the paperwork from Post Office then overnighted it to a company they turned it in 3 days and sent it back. At that time the regular method took 3 months

mlyonsd 01-27-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 9349352)
Someone should warn France.

:LOL:

kysirsoze 01-27-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9348605)
My voice is my passport.

Scanners rep

DaneMcCloud 01-27-2013 03:39 PM

I got my first passport expedited to same day for an additional $50 dollars back in 1993. I made an appointment for renewal at the Federal building in 2003 and there was no expedited charge.

As many have said, you can get a passport photo nearly everywhere. Also, if you plan to drive in a foreign country, it's wise to get an International Driver's License, which you can obtain at your local AAA office.

Fire Me Boy! 01-27-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9355540)
Scanners rep

Thanks, but it's Sneakers. :)

007 01-27-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9355551)
I got my first passport expedited to same day for an additional $50 dollars back in 1993. I made an appointment for renewal at the Federal building in 2003 and there was no expedited charge.

As many have said, you can get a passport photo nearly everywhere. Also, if you plan to drive in a foreign country, it's wise to get an International Driver's License, which you can obtain at your local AAA office.

we are not going until June so I am not too worried about my passport. I start the process tomorrow and already have my paperwork filled out and ready to go. Just need to get my picture.

On the other hand, my wifes is going to be a problem. We have to order her birth certificate from Virginia and it could take two months.

Rain Man 01-27-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9351813)
screw it. We are going for it. Decided to just use half of my reward credits and pay the other half. Deal is just too good to pass up at this point.

Oh, and my wife is VERY happy.

Awesome. Congrats, and I suspect you won't regret it.

DaneMcCloud 01-27-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9355564)
we are not going until June so I am not too worried about my passport. I start the process tomorrow and already have my paperwork filled out and ready to go. Just need to get my picture.

On the other hand, my wifes is going to be a problem. We have to order her birth certificate from Virginia and it could take two months.

Even if it takes eight weeks, you have plenty of time to apply for and receive it. Good luck!

mlyonsd 01-27-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9355564)

Well if you have to go alone those are the breaks.

scho63 01-27-2013 03:55 PM

I'm on my 3rd passport and the longest I waited was between 2-3 weeks. One of the few things our government does quickly. If you are worried about time, go for the expedited service.

007 01-27-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9355577)
Well if you have to go alone those are the breaks.

LMAO

PARTY!!!!

007 01-29-2013 02:34 AM

Do any of you purchase trip insurance for your travel? Sandals offers it for $99 each which seems kind of high to me.

Setsuna 01-29-2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9348592)
I told you not to submit a picture of an Asian woman on the application.

LMAO I know, I know. But seriously. I couldn't get my original birth certificate so I got a copy from the city records and that apparently made the lady who was reviewing my junk to think I wasn't who I said I was and denied me my passport. I was like WTF?

KCUnited 01-29-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9360863)
Do any of you purchase trip insurance for your travel? Sandals offers it for $99 each which seems kind of high to me.

I never do. Also, as a return Sandals guest, I can say that experience can be had for much less $$$ at other adult only AI's. Not having or even liking kids, my wife and I are good for at least 1 adult only AI trip a year.