ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official 2017 Royals Repository *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306961)

duncan_idaho 04-26-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12839985)
Yet they signed Hammel and kept all the overrated scrubs.

To which overrated scrubs are you referring? The ones who had guaranteed contracts and were getting paid regardless?

Dayton Moore made some major missteps leading into the 2016 season in hindsight (Minor and Chris Young chief among them). But you can't just cut those guys and recoup losses. You're paying them.

Hammel and Wood were insurance signings that were low-risk reactions to Ventura's untimely demise. Reviews on those deals were generally positive. Just because they aren't looking great NOW doesn't mean they were awful at the time or sign of an all-in year.

If anything, the Royals did the opposite of all-in. They could have stubbornly held on to Davis and Dyson and just been satisfied with draft pick compensation after this year for Davis. It's what I would have done, actually.

Instead, they're trying to balance winning now with reloading. That's difficult and narrows your margins in both directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duncan_idaho 04-26-2017 11:23 AM

*** Official 2017 Royals Repository ***

In general: this rebuilding period could have been less painful if Kansas City had drafted better/had better draft luck from 2010-present.

They've gotten some value from those picks, chief among it having the trade chips to get Cueto and Zobrist. But there's not enough there for a small market to keep it rolling.

Zimmer being so brittle is bad luck, as that was impossible to predict (his profile was an injury-safe as any college pitcher's can get). They evaluated him correctly, he just can't stay on the field.

They haven't done well with other early picks, though. Starling, their hand was forced a bit (again, bad luck), but they've not done a good job developing him.

There IS some light in the lower minors (guys like Meibrys Vitoria, Khalil Lee, Seauly Matias, Jeisin Guzman, Foster Griffin, AJ Puckett), but the system is definitely not prepared to replenish the major league roster on its own.

They have not adapted well to the draft rule changes, and that is coming due in 2018 if not sooner.

Now... moving talent at the deadline (Cain, Moustakas, Kennedy, Vargas, Herrera, Hosmer, Soria, all would have value) can help replenish that system.

You add 3-5 top 100 guys to this system, and it will look quite a bit different.

My goal as GM would be to find a way to keep Moustakas, so I'm building around:
Duffy
Moustakas
Perez
Soler

Moving forward. Gordon will be around and anything he provides would be a bonus at this point.

Ideally, you'd restock at SS with Mondesi (and he needs time at AAA to get squared away), 1B/DH with O'Hearn/O'Brien.

Dozier and Cuthbert lurk out there, too.

CF is the biggest hole in the system. Not sure what they can do there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

siberian khatru 04-26-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 12840139)
CF is the biggest hole in the system. Not sure what they can do there.

I think that's got to be a trade target, unless you're ready to give 500 ABs to Billy Burns or Donnie Dewees.

C3HIEF3S 04-26-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 12840230)
I think that's got to be a trade target, unless you're ready to give 500 ABs to Billy Burns or Donnie Dewees.

If next year is rebuilding, Jarrod Dyson will be a free agent who can at least split the CF duties. Solves half the problem for a team not in serious contention.

siberian khatru 04-26-2017 12:26 PM

Probably no need to start a game thread today. This one's already over: White Sox 2-0 in the first.

siberian khatru 04-26-2017 12:26 PM

Hosmer of course a 4-3 in the top of the first.

CoMoChief 04-26-2017 12:31 PM

awesome....already down 0-2

I think that point where you start to panic is approaching fast.

Royals may play themselves out of any chance of making a comeback if this losing continues for another week or 2.

I mean they would have to go on a pretty serious run to get themselves back into the picture, and they don't have the bats or pitching to do it. I knew Vargas would eventually come back down to earth. That guy was overachieving a great deal, and people think act as if he's somehow gonna flip a switch and turn into an ace. Come'on....smh.

petegz28 04-26-2017 12:33 PM

down 2-0 and Salvy swings at a pitch in the dirt for the K

petegz28 04-26-2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 12840315)
down 2-0 and Salvy swings at a pitch in the dirt for the K

And Gordon does the same....

CoMoChief 04-26-2017 12:35 PM

lol....Quintana has pretty much struck out the entire team so far...except for 1 batter.

C3HIEF3S 04-26-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 12840309)
awesome....already down 0-2

I think that point where you start to panic is approaching fast.

Royals may play themselves out of any chance of making a comeback if this losing continues for another week or 2.

I mean they would have to go on a pretty serious run to get themselves back into the picture, and they don't have the bats or pitching to do it. I knew Vargas would eventually come back down to earth. That guy was overachieving a great deal, and people think act as if he's somehow gonna flip a switch and turn into an ace. Come'on....smh.

No one thought that. People were excited about his start, but no one thought that.

CoMoChief 04-26-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3HIEF3S (Post 12840321)
No one thought that. People were excited about his start, but no one thought that.

Yeah right...610am preached that with Duffy and Vargas "emerging" (is the term they used) this team could go on a run and compete for the central.

DEF NOT HAPPENING.

petegz28 04-26-2017 12:38 PM

Thi team just flat sucks. I don't know if they are full of themselves or what. Hosmer is making me want Billy Butler back. Gordon is showing he was not worth a dime of what we re-signed him for. Esky has no idea what a basehit looks like. Cain, Moose and Salvy are really about the only veterans that are not just total ass. And WTF is Moss even still on this team?

CoMoChief 04-26-2017 12:39 PM

This team is ass

petegz28 04-26-2017 12:40 PM

I would sit Hosmer for 3 straight games. They won't cause they are hoping to get something for him. But I think you might get more if he is on the pine than at the plate.