ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Any Linux users here? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267820)

Bearcat 12-19-2012 01:19 PM

I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows, but could probably get away with a Windows VM, since I hardly use it. It's completely changed my perspective from "it's just the way it is" with Windows to being able to fix pretty much any big or small annoyance. If you're willing to spend the time researching and using those annoyances as opportunities to learn the OS, it's a good way to get your feet wet.

Like others have said though, if you want to start from scratch, I'd pick up a book on RHEL in order to learn command line basics, etc.

DaveNull 12-19-2012 06:15 PM

I've never had to use Red Hat (and don't see it happening) but I'm curious. Other than using yum for the package manager are there substantial differences between that and Debian based Linux?

htismaqe 12-19-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 9225399)
I've never had to use Red Hat (and don't see it happening) but I'm curious. Other than using yum for the package manager are there substantial differences between that and Debian based Linux?

RedHat (and Fedora) are both RPM for package management so completely different really from Debian and derivatives (ie. Ubuntu).

scorpio 12-19-2012 10:22 PM

I generally use CentOS for enterprise stuff.

But if you really want to learn how linux works under the hood, I suggest you do a scratch install of either Arch or Gentoo. You'll hate it, and then you'll love it.

AustinChief 12-20-2012 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 9226159)
I generally use CentOS for enterprise stuff.

But if you really want to learn how linux works under the hood, I suggest you do a scratch install of either Arch or Gentoo. You'll hate it, and then you'll love it.

Didn't think about that but good advice.

kcfanXIII 12-20-2012 03:13 AM

sounds like i got a lot of work to do. thanks again for the advice everyone.

SLAG 12-20-2012 11:25 AM

Most of our servers at work are running CentOS - and I run Fedora on my work Laptop just to keep the redhat flavor across the board

Love Linux

kcfanXIII 02-19-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 9227145)
Most of our servers at work are running CentOS - and I run Fedora on my work Laptop just to keep the redhat flavor across the board

Love Linux

i was browsing and came across your build thread. have you had any problems having the dual boot option? one of my teachers said there had been issues with vista, 7, and 8 "sharing" the computer with linux, just wondering if you had any issues.

I've tried VMs of mint, and fedora, but settled on installing Backtrack 5, which is ubuntu based, and comes with a bunch of security tools. I liked the others, but their GUI made them too much like windows for what i'm trying to do here, and wasn't using them at all. I'm learning as i go with this stuff. anybody got any advice for me regarding backtrack?

DaveNull 02-20-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

anybody got any advice for me regarding backtrack?
Look into the training materials from the guys at Offensive Security. I'm a pretty heavy Back|Track user and have gone through their paid course. They also have a free course on metaspoit.

You might want to try to find out when the next SecKC meeting is. Lots of BT fans there...also the local Defcon group and the CCCKC mailing list.

RyFo18 02-20-2013 12:23 PM

I started off with Ubuntu. At work though we use SLES, so I switched to OpenSUSE (basically the free version of SLES). Both have a decent GUI if that's what you're into, but I wouldn't say I have a preference towards either one. I basically just have a spare old computer that I run a web/file/print server from within my house, so for what I use it for it really doesn't matter the OS.

QuikSsurfer 02-20-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 9418999)
Look into the training materials from the guys at Offensive Security. I'm a pretty heavy Back|Track user and have gone through their paid course. They also have a free course on metaspoit.

You might want to try to find out when the next SecKC meeting is. Lots of BT fans there...also the local Defcon group and the CCCKC mailing list.

This
offensive-security will be your best resource. I'd download their Metasploit build if I were you..

SLAG 02-21-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 9416507)
i was browsing and came across your build thread. have you had any problems having the dual boot option? one of my teachers said there had been issues with vista, 7, and 8 "sharing" the computer with linux, just wondering if you had any issues.

I've tried VMs of mint, and fedora, but settled on installing Backtrack 5, which is ubuntu based, and comes with a bunch of security tools. I liked the others, but their GUI made them too much like windows for what i'm trying to do here, and wasn't using them at all. I'm learning as i go with this stuff. anybody got any advice for me regarding backtrack?

When I moved to Chicago I had to switch to wireless internet for my desktop - well i never bothered to get the wlan adapter to work in linux and I was playing more games on windows anyway - so my desktop has been a windows only box for about a year.
I

I have fedora installed on my work laptop as the sole OS with a Windows 7 VM I boot to access exchange / lync

I find BackTrack is almost overkill for my needs

Braincase 02-21-2013 11:01 PM

I haven't delved into it for years, but get a 64-bit Win7 box, load up Virtual Box, and I'd go with SUSE. Always was my fav distro... but like I said, I haven't done jack with it in years.

DaveNull 03-15-2013 09:19 AM

Back|Track is now Kali Linux. Moves from Ubuntu to Debian...which I'm sure for many is a distinction without a difference. I'm downloading the VM now and have the day off. Looks like I may be taking the D out of my wireless DMZ today.

But seriously...if you think it's a good idea to connect to the open AP with the SSID of "Autopwn" you're kind of asking for whatever I'm throwing at you.

BigRedChief 03-15-2013 06:47 PM

Linux is regulated to the pure geekdom of tech history. Just 5-10 years ago businesses were considering Linux as at least web servers but now it's dying and has no future in business. It will be what it is or less as time goes on.

It will always be a toy of geeks. Not making a judgement on thats the way it should be, just stating the reality.

If you want to really learn to earn money.......... Vmware/SAN/Security/AD will get you the most opportunities in I.T. shops.