ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music RUSH Clockwork Angels!! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257908)

Halfcan 03-29-2012 06:24 PM

RUSH Clockwork Angels!!

New single Headlong Flight due out April 2nd!!!

CD out May 29th

:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

007 03-29-2012 07:21 PM

Looking forward to getting the digital edition from amazon for $3.99. They seem to do that for new releases.

Huffmeister 03-29-2012 08:22 PM

It's about damn time!

KC_Lee 03-30-2012 06:25 AM

Got this update via The National Midnight Starman Facebook page;

Yesterday Roadrunner Records hosted a listening party where they premiered Clockwork Angels in its entirety for journalists and industry executives. One of those in attendance was XM Radio's Lou Brutus, who today Tweeted:

"In studio right now w/Mark from Roadrunner listening to new tune from @RushIsABand called "Headlong Flight." It's awesome. #ByTorIsASnowDog"
In addition, two tweets from Dominic Nardella (program director at 92.3 in Cleveland) who Tweeted:

"Just heard new Rush song "Headlong Flight" ..... Holy F ing Shit!!!!! 7 and a half minutes of pure genius!!!!!!"
- Thanks to RushIsABand for the headsup!

Halfcan 03-30-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 8503746)

Yesterday Roadrunner Records hosted a listening party where they premiered Clockwork Angels in its entirety for journalists and industry executives. One of those in attendance was XM Radio's Lou Brutus, who today Tweeted:

"In studio right now w/Mark from Roadrunner listening to new tune from @RushIsABand called "Headlong Flight." It's awesome. #ByTorIsASnowDog"
In addition, two tweets from Dominic Nardella (program director at 92.3 in Cleveland) who Tweeted:

"Just heard new Rush song "Headlong Flight" ..... Holy F ing Shit!!!!! 7 and a half minutes of pure genius!!!!!!"

I read those as will-I can't freakin wait!!

I guess they went Old School with a concept album!!

Should be Best CD of the year!!

Halfcan 03-30-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8503290)
It's about damn time!

I know they teased us with two songs a Long time ago..........

2 months left to wait. :drool:

Dartgod 03-30-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 8503829)
I know they teased us with two songs a Long time ago..........

2 months left to wait. :drool:

Oh man, this sounds awesome. Can't wait! Hook a brother up with those teasers?

Huffmeister 03-30-2012 09:15 AM

And Kevin J. Anderson is writing a novelization of the album:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin J. Anderson
In a young man's quest to follow his dreams, he is caught between the grandiose forces of order and chaos. He travels across a lavish and colorful world of steampunk and alchemy, with lost cities, pirates, anarchists, exotic carnivals, and a rigid Watchmaker who imposes precision on every aspect of daily life.

Could be good, or it could be incredibly lame. Either way, I know I'll read it. :D

Hey Halfcan, where did you get the April 2 release date for "Headlong Flight"? Everything I found online has said april 19th.

007 03-30-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 8503746)

7.5 minute songs? I LOVE IT!!!!

talastan 03-30-2012 02:51 PM

I just want to see them live this time. I've seen Genesis, and Dream Theater; and seeing Rush would finish off my top three favorite prog bands. :thumb:

007 03-30-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talastan (Post 8505187)
I just want to see them live this time. I've seen Genesis, and Dream Theater; and seeing Rush would finish off my top three favorite prog bands. :thumb:

Never got to see Genesis. I had tickets to the Invisible Touch tour and Phil got sick. I was pissed.

talastan 03-30-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8505198)
Never got to see Genesis. I had tickets to the Invisible Touch tour and Phil got sick. I was pissed.

Sorry to hear that. I got to see them the last tour they did in 2007. I caught them at the United Center in Chicago. Phil is my favorite drummer of all time. Especially his work during the Gabriel-era Genesis. :)

Halfcan 03-30-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 8504049)
Oh man, this sounds awesome. Can't wait! Hook a brother up with those teasers?

You can get them on Rush.com a mini cd-its worth it!!

Halfcan 03-30-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

:clap: Best concerts ever!!

Halfcan 03-30-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8505181)
7.5 minute songs? I LOVE IT!!!!

rushisaband is now saying a 5.5 min radio edit hits April 19th :#

darn I was hoping for the 1st like the rumors circulating stated-darn!!!

chasedude 03-30-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 8505290)
:clap: Best concerts ever!!

As a matter of fact, my FIRST concert ever. :D

Can't wait to hear the new tunes that amazing 3some comes up with.

007 03-30-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talastan (Post 8505277)
Sorry to hear that. I got to see them the last tour they did in 2007. I caught them at the United Center in Chicago. Phil is my favorite drummer of all time. Especially his work during the Gabriel-era Genesis. :)

The thing that really sucked was the fact that I had tickets to this concert when it sold out. then they created a second date for them the day before the original concert. So, all the people that were too slow to get their tickets to the original concert got to see them while all of us that were on the ball did not.

Mr. Flopnuts 03-30-2012 05:21 PM

Oh shit! My day has been ****ing made! If they tour again, I'm going to cry tears of ****ing joy.

Halfcan 03-31-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8505458)
Oh shit! My day has been ****ing made! If they tour again, I'm going to cry tears of ****ing joy.

Tour starts this fall with rumors of doing side one of Permanant waves or farewell to Kings!!

chasedude 04-01-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 8506916)
Tour starts this fall with rumors of doing side one of Permanant waves or farewell to Kings!!

I'm excited, I never miss a RUSH show now that they come around. Can't remember which show it was but they went through 2 sets that night. 2112 in entirety and then tons from albums through the years the second set.

kc rush 04-11-2012 07:44 AM

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/1126070790" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1555647634001&playerId=1126070790&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

Dartgod 04-11-2012 07:53 AM

Please sir, I want some more.

BoneKrusher 04-11-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 8532615)
Please sir, I want some more.

me too

that has the old Bastille Day like riffs.

kc rush 04-11-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 8506916)

New rumors are saying they are playing all indoor venues, and potentially playing with a symphony.

There was also speculation that they'd play Signals in its entirety based on what some people are saying is a leaked tour book cover (see my avi).

I'm stoked.

kc rush 04-11-2012 08:16 AM

http://i.imgur.com/iwqfz.jpg

Bound to the earth in a headlong flight,
Toward a city I do not know,
Winding through the void of night
With stars above and fire below

Beneath my feat a rumbling shell,
Deeper still a molten shell,
The souls within its blinding breath,
Are charred into a shriveled death.

I stoke the fire of the big steel wheels,
Navigate through celestial fields
What is the fate to which I fly?
What does it mean to live and die?

A perilous path on which I tread
The Watchmaker casts ????
Into the dream that sweeps them on
A mystery still where the have gone.

Some days were dark, some nights were bright,
I wish I could live it all again.

Lzen 04-18-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

I've seen Rush and DT. Never seen Genesis, though. That would be a good show.

Lzen 04-18-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 8532661)
New rumors are saying they are playing all indoor venues, and potentially playing with a symphony.

There was also speculation that they'd play Signals in its entirety based on what some people are saying is a leaked tour book cover (see my avi).

I'm stoked.

Wow, that would be sweet. That was my first Rush album.

vailpass 04-18-2012 01:24 PM

Honest question: how can there be a new Rush song? Aren't their CDs just different parts of the same song with names for each segment?

kc rush 04-18-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8551431)
Honest question: how can there be a new Rush song? Aren't their CDs just different parts of the same song with names for each segment?

Actually, this is the first "Concept Album" that they have done in a long time. While many of the albums of the past couple decades have centered around a theme, there hasn't been a continuing narrative through the songs like there is supposed to be with this new one.

Backwards Masking 04-18-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 8532661)

i've been searching for live recordings of Losing It for as long as I can remember, I absolutely love that song as an artist, it's phenomenal, the guitar solo in the middle is amazing, truly a forgotten gem buried in the gold mine of the Rush discography.

Can't wait to hear the new album. Neil Peart stated he intended it to be the greatest album musically and lyrically they've ever written a couple years back. If anyone can do it it's the Canadian Power Trio.

Rukdafaidas 04-19-2012 08:00 AM

Headlong Flight in its entirety.

http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/rush.html

chasedude 04-19-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas (Post 8553096)

Kick Ass! I love it!

kc rush 04-19-2012 11:53 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZcFGrWjOX0E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vailpass 04-19-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 8551465)
Actually, this is the first "Concept Album" that they have done in a long time. While many of the albums of the past couple decades have centered around a theme, there hasn't been a continuing narrative through the songs like there is supposed to be with this new one.

Cool. Maybe they'll get a new lead singer for this album?

Rukdafaidas 04-19-2012 12:25 PM

I was just checking out their tour dates and for the first time that I can remember, they don't have KC on the tour. Unless, the dates listed aren't complete.
They also don't have Tulsa or Wichita listed.

kc rush 04-19-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas (Post 8553591)
I was just checking out their tour dates and for the first time that I can remember, they don't have KC on the tour. Unless, the dates listed aren't complete.
They also don't have Tulsa or Wichita listed.

I'm guessing they'll have a second tour next spring/summer to pick up some of those cities missed this fall.

chasedude 04-19-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 8553706)
I'm guessing they'll have a second tour next spring/summer to pick up some of those cities missed this fall.

Yeah, they always come to KC. They wont miss us on one of the legs.

beach tribe 04-19-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8505198)

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...al29/bale1.gif
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...al29/bale2.gif
I hate these bands btw.

Backwards Masking 05-03-2012 08:41 AM

Totally off topic, but I've really warmed to Snakes and Arrows over the years. Didn't care much for it after it was released, but a lot of tracks have grown on me : "The Way The Wind Blows" is my favorite track, right in the middle of the album, "Good News First" is one I've been listening to a ton lately, and the intrumentals are all great. More acoustic parts than anything they'd done in years - kind of like a much longer "Farewell To Kings" but without the glass shattering high notes. My Top Ten Rush Discs at the moment:

1. Moving Pictures
2. Power Windows (I know...but I love it. Mystic Rhythms is phenomenal)
3. Hemispheres
4. 2112
5. Permanant Waves
6. Signals
7. Vapor Trails (highly underrated and LONG)
8. Snakes And Arrows
9. Farewell To Kings (Probably too low...always thought the Non Suite songs were mediocre)
10. Hold Your Fire (the Thai sounding stuff at the end never did it for me)

HM : Counterparts - nothing real stand out on it but nothing bad either - Leave That Thing Alone is a great instrumental.

Rush and Fly By Night are too straight forward and dated for me (though I like both albums)

Caress Of Steel is a little too proggy at times, even for me

Grace Under Pressure has Red Lenses, my least favorite Rush song ever (Kid Gloves is nothing to brag about)

Presto isn't bad, but not much stands out either

Roll The Bones is my favoroite one not listed, it almost made HM over Counterparts, they're neck and neck.

Test For Echo is real hit and miss, love the title track and Totem, despise some of the other mediocre songs on it though.

OK im done

Huffmeister 05-03-2012 08:58 AM

Presto is probably my favorite Rush album. Before you click the neg-rep button, you have to understand that it came out when I was in 7th grade and it was my first introduction to Rush. I used to play the crap out of it on cassette while shooting baskets in our driveway. So it always strikes a nostalgic chord with me when I listen to it.

That being said, there are a lot of great songs on it. The Pass is still probably in my list of top 3 Rush songs. War Paint is fantastic, especially from the perspective of a kid in middle school. And Superconductor has a fun, rock-pop feel to it (which is the point of the whole song).

I know that Presto is a lot of fans' least-favorite album (I think even the band members have expressed their disappointment with it), but I really do wish they would come out with another Presto-like album.

Backwards Masking 05-03-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8591106)
Presto is probably my favorite Rush album. Before you click the neg-rep button, you have to understand that it came out when I was in 7th grade and it was my first introduction to Rush. I used to play the crap out of it on cassette while shooting baskets in our driveway. So it always strikes a nostalgic chord with me when I listen to it.

That being said, there are a lot of great songs on it. The Pass is still probably in my list of top 3 Rush songs. War Paint is fantastic, especially from the perspective of a kid in middle school. And Superconductor has a fun, rock-pop feel to it (which is the point of the whole song).

I know that Presto is a lot of fans' least-favorite album (I think even the band members have expressed their disappointment with it), but I really do wish they would come out with another Presto-like album.

I always like "Red Tide" and "Hand Over Fist", those two make into my personal Rush setlists quite often. They "Presto" the song live the last time i saw them...i've gained more respect for it since than.

I never would refer to it as my least favorite...gotta go Caress Of Steel there.

Mr. Flopnuts 05-03-2012 10:17 AM

Hand over Fist is one of my favs. Nothing tops Natural Science off of the Permanent Waves album for me though. Roll The Bones was a GREAT album and is often underrated by fans.

Backwards Masking 05-03-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8591349)
Nothing tops Natural Science off of the Permanent Waves album for me though. Roll The Bones was a GREAT album and is often underrated by fans.

Agreed on both points.

Alexs solos on Natural Science are so overlooked on Top Guitar Solo lists its maddening. And I've always really liked Roll The Bones, even the rapping part which is the main reason it gets so much crap.

I have a feeling the new album is going to be an hour plus like the last two were, Geddy and the boys seem to have the mentality that if they're going to make fans wait 5 plus years between releases, to make up for it with extra tracks.

listopencil 05-03-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 8553493)
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZcFGrWjOX0E" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Wow. That's actually pretty nice. Good melody. Guitar is sweet. Drums are spot on. I don't care for the lead singer's voice, but it's not a bad vocal.

RUSH
KISS
Van Halen

Mr. Flopnuts 05-03-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 8591366)
Agreed on both points.

Alexs solos on Natural Science are so overlooked on Top Guitar Solo lists its maddening. And I've always really liked Roll The Bones, even the rapping part which is the main reason it gets so much crap.

I have a feeling the new album is going to be an hour plus like the last two were, Geddy and the boys seem to have the mentality that if they're going to make fans wait 5 plus years between releases, to make up for it with extra tracks.

Yeah, they get shit for being diverse, when in actuality, the rap on the title track was actually pretty creative, and flowed well within the song.

My hope is the new album does go back to some of the old story telling albums of the 70's.

listopencil 05-03-2012 10:35 AM

Oh, and the lyrics manage to be evocative without being trite. Nice work.

Backwards Masking 05-03-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8591397)
Yeah, they get shit for being diverse, when in actuality, the rap on the title track was actually pretty creative, and flowed well within the song.

My hope is the new album does go back to some of the old story telling albums of the 70's.

i have a feeling (and hope immensely) it has a "Hemispheres" feel to it.

Vapor Trails, even without synths or traditional guitar solos, has IMO a futuristic feel to it, I felt they broke new ground with the album, it was 6 years removed from the mediocre Test For Echo. it was the first hour plus album they'd released, it was kind of a "Comeback" album from Neils tragedies. I compare it 2112 in a "new phase of Rush" sense, 2112 was futuristic in theme and sound, so was Vapor Trails.

Snakes And Arrows was also an hour plus, but had a LOT of acoustic stuff in it (much like Farewell To Kings) and IMO, sounds more like A Farewell To Kings than any other Rush album (including Hemispheres with the Cygnus ties).

It makes sense that a Hemispheres esque album would follow - we already know it's gonna be a concept, Neil has already said he intends it to be the best album he's written, I know all three members of Rush think quite highly of Hemispheres...

Can't wait!

Huffmeister 05-03-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8591397)

And Roll the Bones is one of those songs that is taken to another level when performed live. It's one of the few songs that I prefer the live version to the studio track. Another one that comes to mind is Closer to the Heart off of Different Stages. It has an awesome jam that builds up towards the end.

Backwards Masking 05-03-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8591518)
And Roll the Bones is one of those songs that is taken to another level when performed live.

Ghost Of A Chance is still my favorite from that one though. Phenomenal. Dreamline was a concert staple for quite awhile there too.

You two are making me rethink putting it lower than Hold Your Fire and Farewell...

Halfcan 05-03-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 8532676)
http://i.imgur.com/iwqfz.jpg

Bound to the earth in a headlong flight,
Toward a city I do not know,
Winding through the void of night
With stars above and fire below

Beneath my feat a rumbling shell,
Deeper still a molten shell,
The souls within its blinding breath,
Are charred into a shriveled death.

I stoke the fire of the big steel wheels,
Navigate through celestial fields
What is the fate to which I fly?
What does it mean to live and die?

A perilous path on which I tread
The Watchmaker casts ????
Into the dream that sweeps them on
A mystery still where the have gone.

Some days were dark, some nights were bright,
I wish I could live it all again.

This song Rocks!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Halfcan 05-03-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 8552773)
i've been searching for live recordings of Losing It for as long as I can remember, I absolutely love that song as an artist, it's phenomenal, the guitar solo in the middle is amazing, truly a forgotten gem buried in the gold mine of the Rush discography.

Can't wait to hear the new album. Neil Peart stated he intended it to be the greatest album musically and lyrically they've ever written a couple years back. If anyone can do it it's the Canadian Power Trio.

Actually Never perfomed live and the solo is a electric violin solo performed by Ben Mink.

Losing it IS my favorite Rush song!!!

Halfcan 05-03-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8591106)

Great CD Very under rated and a Great Concert-still have the shirt somewhere-lol This cd like Hold your fire kind of grows on you over the years. I think you have to have a certain level of Life expierence to really understand the meaning of it.

chasedude 05-03-2012 06:58 PM

2112 Is and always will be my favorite album.

And the new Rush single KICKS ASS! Can't wait until they tour around KC again.

Halfcan 05-03-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 8591433)
i have a feeling (and hope immensely) it has a "Hemispheres" feel to it.

Vapor Trails, even without synths or traditional guitar solos, has IMO a futuristic feel to it, I felt they broke new ground with the album, it was 6 years removed from the mediocre Test For Echo. it was the first hour plus album they'd released, it was kind of a "Comeback" album from Neils tragedies. I compare it 2112 in a "new phase of Rush" sense, 2112 was futuristic in theme and sound, so was Vapor Trails.

Snakes And Arrows was also an hour plus, but had a LOT of acoustic stuff in it (much like Farewell To Kings) and IMO, sounds more like A Farewell To Kings than any other Rush album (including Hemispheres with the Cygnus ties).

It makes sense that a Hemispheres esque album would follow - we already know it's gonna be a concept, Neil has already said he intends it to be the best album he's written, I know all three members of Rush think quite highly of Hemispheres...

Can't wait!

Ghost rider is a Great book and lots of V P trails stuff in there if you have not read it. Actually All Neils books are fantastic- wow he is amazingly talented.

Halfcan 05-03-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedude (Post 8592656)
2112 Is and always will be my favorite album.

And the new Rush single KICKS ASS! Can't wait until they tour around KC again.

Yep heard it when I was a kid. First rush song I ever heard. Blew me away-thought it was about Satan or something-lol it was Spooky yet rocked like Nothing I ever heard-Been hooked every since!!

chasedude 05-03-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 8592661)
Yep heard it when I was a kid. First rush song I ever heard. Blew me away-thought it was about Satan or something-lol it was Spooky yet rocked like Nothing I ever heard-Been hooked every since!!

Couldn't have said it better myself REP! :clap:

Backwards Masking 05-03-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 8592636)
Actually Never perfomed live and the solo is a electric violin solo performed by Ben Mink.

I was not aware of either of those things, i always wondered if Alex (Ben) used a bow.

never performed live? what a tradegy, i wonder why. those hours searching were well spent....

Rasputin 05-05-2012 12:37 AM

Sweet :rockon:

kc rush 05-07-2012 09:41 AM

I don't know if you'd call it a song by song review, but it gives you a feel for the album.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...y-track-542931

kc rush 05-09-2012 12:40 PM

Another one.

http://music.thedigitalfix.com/conte...-by-track.html

With a career spanning four decades and encapsulating nineteen albums, Rush are an institution. One of the few prog giants to cross over to the mainstream, each and every album is met with a huge degree of anticipation months in advance. So it was with a fair amount of delight that TMF sat down for a preview of Clockwork Angels in all its glory. Set for release on 11 June, what can Rush fans expect from the band's latest musical extravaganza?

1. Caravan

A staple of the recent Time Machine tour, this single was released nearly two years ago now and is old hat by comparison the rest of the album. However, the mix is different to single, with the most noticeable difference the addition of strings flying around in the background - adding to the already big sound this little beauty had.

2. BU2B

This too is subtlety different to the version that appeared with ‘Caravan’ previously. Tying the opening two pieces together is a new intro of ethereal acoustic guitars and some heavily warped vocals, before it explodes into that killer riff all Rush fans have fallen in love with.

3. Clockwork Angels

Now we’re getting stuck into new territory! What immediately jumps out at you about the title track is how it harks back to the Rush of the late 70s. The various sections that make up this mini masterpiece feel slightly indulgent yet sit together so comfortably. The feel too, is very evocative of that era - lurking somewhere between ‘Xanadu’ and ‘The Trees’, albeit far more powerful than they have ever been.

4. The Anarchist

Already there is the sense that Clockwork Angels is different; whereas recent albums have been somewhat introvert and closed, this is anything but. Epic on a massive scale, ‘The Anarchist’ continues the trend of more upbeat, faster, and heavier tunes that is beginning to form the musical theme of this record. Here we have the sound of a band relaxed and having an enormous amount of fun. Despite being more in keeping with the modern day Rush compositions, it still fits right in alongside the more classical title track.

5. Carnies

Bang! Now this is some heavy shit! Very much the partner-in-crime of ‘BU2B’ with its deliciously crunching riff – complete with harmonics – this is a good contender for the album highlight, and will certainly be an absolute barnstormer live. Rush are continuing to strike the perfect balance between experimenting with something new yet still sounding undeniably themselves. Oh that riff, that sweet, sweet riff!

6. Halo Effect

This little three minute ditty is the first time the foot has come off the gas, but even this doesn’t quite fall into ballad region as the band hold in, but don’t disguise, the urge to let loose. ‘Halo Effect’ has third single written all over it as the uplifting chorus is tailor-made for vast stadium sing-alongs, and is guaranteed to become a fan favourite.

7. Seven Cities Of Gold

The breather is indeed brief as ‘Seven Cities Of Gold’, quite probably the standout track from Clockwork Angels, sees Alex Lifeson once again bringing the hammer down. Slower than anything from the first half of the album, it heads towards the land of doom with yet another rip-roaring riff and dark menace aplenty. Another soaring solo in the middle eight, and is quite possibly the pick of the bunch; as a result of the new writing process for this album, a lot of the music has a loose, improvised, almost jazzy, feel to it, and ‘Seven Cities Of Gold’ is the most exhilarating example of this.

8. The Wreckers

This one has an old pop rock feel to it, characterised by jangly and melodious guitars. Along with ‘Halo Effect’, these two show Rush can still write these great radio-friendly hits, and do it far better than most. Not one of the stronger songs on the record, it is still a very pleasant number that adds yet more dynamism to this enthralling show as the orchestra swells to a crescendo, and even has a massive guitar line bursting out to take us to the fade.

9. Headlong Flight

What is this I hear? Punk? I do believe it is! The furious riffs (yup, even more of them) have the bite and urgency of the finest rebellious miscreants, and are damn catchy to boot. Another shifting monster of a song, Rush peerlessly stitch all the pieces together majestically, and even at approaching eight minutes it never feels as such nor overstays any welcome. Yet more madcap guitar solos burst out, and I’m pretty sure Alex has never had so much fun doing these…

10. BU2B2

A short little interlude, this is more akin to an orchestral remix of its bigger brother. A rather strange piece in the context of the album, yet it’s not entirely out of place. At a little over 90 seconds though, it has gone before you’ve had time to ponder the question.

11. Wish Them Well

Easily the most straight forward number on Clockwork Angels, and possible in the entirety of the Rush back catalogue, ‘Wish Them Well’ is a bit punky, very poppy, and not at all as memorable as it pretends to be. Something of a throwaway tune, it is the one track here that elicits complete indifference, and wouldn’t be missed were it to magically disappear.

12. The Garden

And so to the finale, and with ‘The Garden’ we are thankfully back to classic Rush as the acoustic guitar re-emerges for some of that stonking pop-prog they defined so many years ago. The song builds into this glorious mesh of pleasing guitars and a giant wall of those strings that have littered the album, quietly propping up the background but now taking centre stage for themselves in one last hurrah.

And so there you have it, a thrilling ride through the heartlands of classic prog seen with a modern eye - a wonderfully executed sixty six minutes of musical wizardry by one of the finest bands around. Rush have done it again.

Halfcan 05-10-2012 11:40 AM

:clap:
Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 8599109)
I don't know if you'd call it a song by song review, but it gives you a feel for the album.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...y-track-542931

:clap:

I was going to post this. Just read it along with Nick R. production notes on the CD. Sounds like he told them to strp up and Rock out!!

Halfcan 05-10-2012 12:06 PM

C D of the Year!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc rush (Post 8604690)
Another one.

http://music.thedigitalfix.com/conte...-by-track.html

With a career spanning four decades and encapsulating nineteen albums, Rush are an institution. One of the few prog giants to cross over to the mainstream, each and every album is met with a huge degree of anticipation months in advance. So it was with a fair amount of delight that TMF sat down for a preview of Clockwork Angels in all its glory. Set for release on 11 June, what can Rush fans expect from the band's latest musical extravaganza?

1. Caravan

A staple of the recent Time Machine tour, this single was released nearly two years ago now and is old hat by comparison the rest of the album. However, the mix is different to single, with the most noticeable difference the addition of strings flying around in the background - adding to the already big sound this little beauty had.

2. BU2B

This too is subtlety different to the version that appeared with ‘Caravan’ previously. Tying the opening two pieces together is a new intro of ethereal acoustic guitars and some heavily warped vocals, before it explodes into that killer riff all Rush fans have fallen in love with.

3. Clockwork Angels

Now we’re getting stuck into new territory! What immediately jumps out at you about the title track is how it harks back to the Rush of the late 70s. The various sections that make up this mini masterpiece feel slightly indulgent yet sit together so comfortably. The feel too, is very evocative of that era - lurking somewhere between ‘Xanadu’ and ‘The Trees’, albeit far more powerful than they have ever been.

4. The Anarchist

Already there is the sense that Clockwork Angels is different; whereas recent albums have been somewhat introvert and closed, this is anything but. Epic on a massive scale, ‘The Anarchist’ continues the trend of more upbeat, faster, and heavier tunes that is beginning to form the musical theme of this record. Here we have the sound of a band relaxed and having an enormous amount of fun. Despite being more in keeping with the modern day Rush compositions, it still fits right in alongside the more classical title track.

5. Carnies

Bang! Now this is some heavy shit! Very much the partner-in-crime of ‘BU2B’ with its deliciously crunching riff – complete with harmonics – this is a good contender for the album highlight, and will certainly be an absolute barnstormer live. Rush are continuing to strike the perfect balance between experimenting with something new yet still sounding undeniably themselves. Oh that riff, that sweet, sweet riff!

6. Halo Effect

This little three minute ditty is the first time the foot has come off the gas, but even this doesn’t quite fall into ballad region as the band hold in, but don’t disguise, the urge to let loose. ‘Halo Effect’ has third single written all over it as the uplifting chorus is tailor-made for vast stadium sing-alongs, and is guaranteed to become a fan favourite.

7. Seven Cities Of Gold

The breather is indeed brief as ‘Seven Cities Of Gold’, quite probably the standout track from Clockwork Angels, sees Alex Lifeson once again bringing the hammer down. Slower than anything from the first half of the album, it heads towards the land of doom with yet another rip-roaring riff and dark menace aplenty. Another soaring solo in the middle eight, and is quite possibly the pick of the bunch; as a result of the new writing process for this album, a lot of the music has a loose, improvised, almost jazzy, feel to it, and ‘Seven Cities Of Gold’ is the most exhilarating example of this.

8. The Wreckers

This one has an old pop rock feel to it, characterised by jangly and melodious guitars. Along with ‘Halo Effect’, these two show Rush can still write these great radio-friendly hits, and do it far better than most. Not one of the stronger songs on the record, it is still a very pleasant number that adds yet more dynamism to this enthralling show as the orchestra swells to a crescendo, and even has a massive guitar line bursting out to take us to the fade.

9. Headlong Flight

What is this I hear? Punk? I do believe it is! The furious riffs (yup, even more of them) have the bite and urgency of the finest rebellious miscreants, and are damn catchy to boot. Another shifting monster of a song, Rush peerlessly stitch all the pieces together majestically, and even at approaching eight minutes it never feels as such nor overstays any welcome. Yet more madcap guitar solos burst out, and I’m pretty sure Alex has never had so much fun doing these…

10. BU2B2

A short little interlude, this is more akin to an orchestral remix of its bigger brother. A rather strange piece in the context of the album, yet it’s not entirely out of place. At a little over 90 seconds though, it has gone before you’ve had time to ponder the question.

11. Wish Them Well

Easily the most straight forward number on Clockwork Angels, and possible in the entirety of the Rush back catalogue, ‘Wish Them Well’ is a bit punky, very poppy, and not at all as memorable as it pretends to be. Something of a throwaway tune, it is the one track here that elicits complete indifference, and wouldn’t be missed were it to magically disappear.

12. The Garden

And so to the finale, and with ‘The Garden’ we are thankfully back to classic Rush as the acoustic guitar re-emerges for some of that stonking pop-prog they defined so many years ago. The song builds into this glorious mesh of pleasing guitars and a giant wall of those strings that have littered the album, quietly propping up the background but now taking centre stage for themselves in one last hurrah.

And so there you have it, a thrilling ride through the heartlands of classic prog seen with a modern eye - a wonderfully executed sixty six minutes of musical wizardry by one of the finest bands around. Rush have done it again.

I can't believe Rush is Getting POSITIVE reviews for something?? It must Really kick some ass!! Other reviews are Just as positive-I think we have CD of the year on our hands.

chasedude 05-10-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 8606887)
I can't believe Rush is Getting POSITIVE reviews for something?? It must Really kick some ass!! Other reviews are Just as positive-I think we have CD of the year on our hands.

I'd watch the Grammy's for once if Geddy, Alex, and Neil were up there to accept an award.

Halfcan 05-10-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedude (Post 8606973)
I'd watch the Grammy's for once if Geddy, Alex, and Neil were up there to accept an award.

Yep hard to believe they have Never won a Grammy-I think they lost to Brian Wilson's Mr Jones Cow or some stoopid song like that last time-lol

The have Never been on the cover of Rolling Stone-big shock since the nazi founder hates them for Some reason - who incidently is the founder of Rock roll Hall of (Mediocre pop bands) Fame.

Rush is 4th all time in consecutive Gold Records and are represented in the Canadian Music Hall of fame. Song writers HOF, NHL Hall, Motorcycle HOF. They are the Most Important and Influencial band out of canada and have recieved Every honor available Including the Royal Order of Canada.

I dont think the give a crap about a grammy when you look at who actually wins them.

kc rush 05-11-2012 02:52 PM

Another - LINK

The following lines are short notes of the strongest emotions that the songs transmitted to me. As the reader knows very well, songs from a band like Rush are very complex and cerebral in the way they are crafted, so a lot of subtleties and detail is not evident on a first listen.

With this thought in mind, I share my experience:

01 - Caravan

This one has already been released and can be heard at:

Brings thoughts of the 2112 album.

Hypnotic guitar riffs.

02 - BU2B

This one has already been released and can be heard at here.

A hard track with a lot of hold and release.

03 - Clockwork Angels

Middle eastern intro with those signature Alex Lifeson big strums.

Neil really works the toms in this one.

Huge number of bridge sections.

Enchanting solo that segues into a weird bridge where Geddy Lee uses the telephone voice effect.

Very atmospheric ending.

04 - The Anarchist

The main guiding element is the rhythm.

Very melodic.

(the Cd jumped on this one)

The telephone voice is back on this one.

Extremely intense solo with excellent background tension and very tasteful buildup of the whole solo.

05 - Carnies

The guitar makes a very heavy and powerful entrance.

A lot of effects end up hiding the guitar.

80s style lead guitar phrases.

Crazy breakdown that transitions again to a very heavy ending.

06 - Halo Effect

Airy introduction.

Ballad acoustic guitar sounds.

Very light pop rock kind of feel.

Nice interlude with traditional Irish flavor.

07 - Seven Cities of Gold

Intro bass riff with the ominous cowbell.

Instant classic Rush slow-paced guitar riff.

Catchy chorus.

Atmospheric solo with a lot of Lifeson trademark whammy bar action.

Goes full circle (what a great song to put in loop).

One of the highlights.

08 - The Wreckers

Happy and melancholic vibe.

Sad but uplifting chorus.

Mysterious section in the middle.

Nice orchestral ending with a cinematographic feel as a guitar solo fades out.

09 - Headlong Flight

This one has already been released and can be heard at one of the videos here presented.

Fast-paced song.

Has a sort of punk attitude.

Intense breakdown.

10 - BU2B2

Slows down the pace.

Violins come back again.

Spoken.

11 - Wish Them Well

Slow, simple and repetitive.

Starts to get interesting as it reaches the end but then goes back to the repetitive chorus.

Yet another fade out.

Less inspired track on the album.

12 - The Garden

Big violins.

Nice guitar and bass riffs.

Awesome Rush acoustic guitar.

Inspired and uplifting orchestral arrangements.

Classic Lifeson single notes with chorus and delay.

Excellent entrance by Neil Peart.

References to the watchmaker.

Piano prelude to a huge solo from Alex Lifeson, again with excellent orchestration - big guitar moment of the album.

Overall, a very enjoyable album, with excellent sound quality and full of detail; all of the musicians are in awesome shape and showcase the brilliance that brought them to their iconic status.

One can clearly state that is displays awareness for modern approaches while showing respect for the more traditional sounds.

An album that will solidify Rush's position in the front line of progressive rock - very diverse with huge exploration moments.

Halfcan 05-11-2012 02:55 PM

Great Rush film from the Lifetime Award they just received-Great to see a New Generation into the Greatest Band of All time!!

http://www.nfb.ca/film/inner_rush

Halfcan 05-11-2012 03:00 PM

Thanks KC-I just read that off rushisaband.com

Another awesome review!! I can't wait to get this one!! I sit back and read the lyrics while listening to the music-they Never fail to amaze me.

I guess Rush just moved up to # 3 All time for consecutive Gold records-Wow pretty incredible. I hope they add another one with Clockwork Angels.

siberian khatru 05-22-2012 12:53 PM

Geddy interview about new album:

http://www.spin.com/articles/geddy-l...new-album-tour

Huffmeister 06-12-2012 11:26 AM

Out today. So far, I'm really digging it. Reminds me of a mix of Vapor Trails and Snakes & Arrows.

Early favorites:
  • The Wreckers
  • Wish Them Well
  • The Garden
The booklet has an intro paragraph for every song (not sure if it's from the upcoming book or not) followed by the lyrics. I'm looking forward to being able to sit down with the booklet and read while listening to the album.

Halfcan 06-12-2012 01:27 PM

Cant wait to get this after work!!!

Huffmeister 06-12-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 8674889)
Cant wait to get this after work!!!

You don't have it yet? Oh, sorry. I mistook you for a real Rush fan.

:p

BoneKrusher 06-12-2012 02:09 PM

Listening to it now.

Backwards Masking 06-12-2012 11:27 PM

Great Album, Great Packaging. Killer Songs.

Love the little things they added to Caravan and BU2B in the background. Lots more hard rockers than I thought there would be.

Does sound like a mix of Vapor Trails and Snakes, I might wind up liking it better than either. I can already tell it blows Test For Echo out of the water (not that that's hard). Looks like the Canadian Power Trio hit the nail on the head with the hammer AGAIN. i'm liking it much better than I liked Snakes And Arrows at first. I'm thinking it'll crack the Top 10, if not Top 5. Very impressed.

siberian khatru 06-13-2012 09:05 AM

Excellent interview with Neil Peart:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...arian-20120612

Halfcan 06-18-2012 04:10 PM

A Musical Masterpiece!!

Every song is terrific and the art work and lyrics are some of the best!

Halfcan 06-18-2012 06:44 PM

Sucks that the Rock 98.9 refuses to play Any Rush at all???

I guess they are too busy playing Shinedown 24-7-lol

A lot of people in KC probably don't even know they have a new CD out and it rocks!!

siberian khatru 06-19-2012 08:22 AM

Great interview with Alex Lifeson:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...pects-20120618

Huffmeister 06-19-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 8687892)

Crap. Rolling Stone is showing Rush some love? That pretty much proves that the Mayans were right and the world really is going to end this year.

Btw, thanks for posting the interview links!

Halfcan 06-19-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8687929)
Crap. Rolling Stone is showing Rush some love? That pretty much proves that the Mayans were right and the world really is going to end this year.

Btw, thanks for posting the interview links!

Exactly - Jan Werner the owner-Hates Rush and has also kept them out of the hall of fame.

Rolling Stone is Basically a combo of Teen Beat and People magazines now days.

Halfcan 06-20-2012 06:53 PM

Hits #2 on Billboard with over 103,000 units sold and #1 in Canada. Very strong sales in Europe as well.

Just think if they would actually get some radio play??

CD of the Year hands down!!