ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   2013 CP Mock Draft Discussion Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269412)

Direckshun 02-23-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9427720)
Yeah, I'm pretty comfortable saying you generally have better draft knowledge than I, so hence you constantly get mentioned regarding that pick. I've missed on plenty of QB's, and I don't generally like D2 prospects. Flacco was an exception.

Trust me, my friends rag me for that constantly. I was vocal away from this board constantly.

Draft Flacco and you're drafting a small school statue who has zero ability at this level. He's got a big arm and no experience. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Bzzzzt. Table for Stupid Asshole, party of 1.

chiefscafan 02-24-2013 09:08 AM

Aw don't be so hard on yourself I said Matt Ryan he has horrible accuracy throws too many ints :(

Yes got kapernick, Wilson, dalton Bree's right but I missed the boat on Ryan

I still think I'm right that cam newton won't be a winner in the nfl but time will tell

htismaqe 02-25-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefscafan (Post 9431090)
Aw don't be so hard on yourself I said Matt Ryan he has horrible accuracy throws too many ints :(

Yes got kapernick, Wilson, dalton Bree's right but I missed the boat on Ryan

I still think I'm right that cam newton won't be a winner in the nfl but time will tell

You missed the boat on Ryan?

I've dogged him more than anyone and so far I'm 100% right. Even with THAT supporting cast, he can't get them to a Super Bowl.

Direckshun 02-25-2013 01:25 PM

So the question becomes:

Does SNR still go with Geno Smith.

chiefscafan 02-25-2013 01:32 PM

HTismaqe

Look I laughed when cam did the gruden camp when gruden asked him what play was that he said I dont know. He said I only know them by colors.

My dad said it best when he said, "newton has all those stats but how many wins does he have.". I got laughed at on another board when I said Bree's was gonna be good too short not strong enough. I have to say id lOve to go back in archives and find out the guy who said Tom Brady on here I know one guy said it.

RealSNR 02-26-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignayshun (Post 9436740)
So the question becomes:

Does SNR still go with Geno Smith.

I'm the GM. You know how this works. You draft for your team how YOU think they should build.

People bitched at Hamas for drafting Mark Sanchez in the face of the Matt Cassel trade, but he had every right to make that call. As it turns out, it probably would have been pretty good to see this team with Sanchez after he had a year on the bench. Sometimes you're smarter than the GM and sometimes you're not.

Direckshun 02-26-2013 12:03 AM

Yeah, I bitched at him. He basically invalidated the next 15 picks with that pie in the sky bullshit.

RealSNR 02-26-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignayshun (Post 9439737)
Yeah, I bitched at him. He basically invalidated the next 15 picks with that pie in the sky bullshit.

In 2009 it was pie in the sky.

The NFL has since changed even more significantly in 2013. Spending that much draft loot on the QB position is not as insane as it used to be.

The Chiefs may have absolutely no intention to trade for Alex and play him for a year while spending 1.1 on Geno. But that's a completely legitimate option. It makes sense to me.

This is all a long-winded way of me saying, "I'm drafting Geno. If I could, I would do it twice."

chiefscafan 02-27-2013 08:56 AM

I'm in the geno camp but I wonder if they make this smith trade if they would still draft him.

RealSNR 02-27-2013 11:26 AM

A 2nd round pick? **** me in the ass. This has turned into 2009 all over again.

I'm going to ask you guys if you're fine with me still drafting Geno Smith at 1.1 now for the Chiefs, or if that will mess things up too much.

I don't want to take a shit on the mock, but I also want some pride in this.

So I'm leaving it up to you. If a handful of people want me to not take Geno, I'll pick somebody else.

It's NOT going to be ****ing Luke Joeckel though :#

The Franchise 02-27-2013 11:37 AM

**** that....you take Geno Smith.

ChiefsCountry 02-27-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9444805)
A 2nd round pick? **** me in the ass. This has turned into 2009 all over again.

I'm going to ask you guys if you're fine with me still drafting Geno Smith at 1.1 now for the Chiefs, or if that will mess things up too much.

I don't want to take a shit on the mock, but I also want some pride in this.

So I'm leaving it up to you. If a handful of people want me to not take Geno, I'll pick somebody else.

It's NOT going to be ****ing Luke Joeckel though :#

Draft Geno, do what you think would be right for the franchise.

Sorter 02-27-2013 12:51 PM

You draft Geno and you start contract talks now.

The Franchise 02-27-2013 01:13 PM

If you don't take Geno....I'm taking him at #2.

ChiefsCountry 02-27-2013 01:18 PM

I think we all know Barkley wasn't getting past the Raiders in this mock anyways. :)

Nightfyre 02-27-2013 02:27 PM

Right now, I don't even feel like I should care about football or this draft class anymore. Sad. I am so crushed.

Marco Polo 02-27-2013 06:53 PM

I'm sure I'll be back posting before the mock starts but I'm crushed right now.

DeezNutz 02-27-2013 08:10 PM

Might have to take a one-year sabbatical from the mock draft this year. I can't even begin to think about prospects seriously after today.

One hell of a gut shot by those assholes at Arrowhead.

Direckshun 02-27-2013 08:12 PM

Hamas is backing out.

I would like to petition the gentlemen of the annual CP Mock to allow me back in.

I understand either way.

The Franchise 02-27-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignayshun (Post 9448756)
Hamas is backing out.

I would like to petition the gentlemen of the annual CP Mock to allow me back in.

I understand either way.

I'm for it.

RealSNR 02-27-2013 08:14 PM

Welcome back, Direckshun. The banter between you and Bo's Pellini Monopoly-style may be what keeps me going through it all.

OnTheWarpath15 02-27-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9448751)
Might have to take a one-year sabbatical from the mock draft this year. I can't even begin to think about prospects seriously after today.

One hell of a gut shot by those assholes at Arrowhead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignayshun (Post 9448756)
Hamas is backing out.

I understand either way.

I might be as well. I went from being more excited about this draft than any other I can recall, to not a single **** being given.

Feel free to give mine to whoever you all see fit.

Sfeihc 02-27-2013 08:41 PM

Listen you guys dropping out of the CP Mock is NOT cool. Who gives a **** what the chiefs do or don't do. This is about showing what you would do if you were the GM of your teams. Don't let the chiefs **** all over our little soiree. Now buck up and get back in the game.

ChiefsCountry 02-27-2013 09:58 PM

Man up and mock draft. We have been through rough patches before and as Chief fans it will happen again.

BossChief 02-27-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfeihc (Post 9448894)
Listen you guys dropping out of the CP Mock is NOT cool. Who gives a **** what the chiefs do or don't do. This is about showing what you would do if you were the GM of your teams. Don't let the chiefs **** all over our little soiree. Now buck up and get back in the game.

If I decide to stop following the Chiefs, that means I will stop watching football altogether. Same as I did with the Dodgers and baseball in 1994. I've loved this team for so long that I can't just jump over to a new team....I want to quit, but I'm not sure I really can.

This draft deserves someone that gives it their all at each spot...I don't want to weaken the event because my "give a shit meter" zeros out. Over the last couple years, that meter has gotten lower and lower and this trade has stomped on my heart, again.

I don't want to make a rash decision and drop out and regret it, either. I'd like to have a few days to let my mind clear, but it would b smart to get a list together of guys that want in. I don't want to drop out, only to have my replacement not be worthy of the spot...if that's the case, I'll just participate anyway because that wouldn't be fair to my fellow GMs.

DeezNutz 02-27-2013 10:31 PM

No decision has been made, yet. I'm just letting people know that my ****ing nuts hurt after this afternoon (too busy with work to learn about the news until hours after the news broke).

RealSNR 02-27-2013 10:37 PM

This is like the Brett Favre retirement announcement

Frosty 02-27-2013 10:39 PM

Y'all might wait until March 12th before deciding. Then you'll know how bad this trade was.

DeezNutz 02-27-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9449438)
This is like the Brett Favre retirement announcement

Check your PMs for the photo.

BossChief 02-27-2013 10:45 PM

My hope is that we didn't give up enough that Geno could still be in the picture and that John Dorsey just wants to re-create the Packers QB situation...have a vet in place and draft a QB in the first round to groom under him.

I know, denial.

I know the truth...

DeezNutz 02-27-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9449476)
My hope is that we didn't give up enough that Geno could still be in the picture and that John Dorsey just wants to re-create the Packers QB situation...have a vet in place and draft a QB in the first round to groom under him.

I know, denial.

I know the truth...

Favre was 36 in Oct. of '05. Sorry, but your hope is about as frivolous as possible.

htismaqe 02-28-2013 09:39 AM

I'm out guys. Give me slot to someone else.

I'm done with the Chiefs. They're not my team anymore.

And the only thing worse that them is the fans, especially here, that think us wanting the Chiefs to win a Super Bowl is somehow the wrong way to think.

They can have this team and enjoy they're neverending pursuit for "excellence".

RealSNR 02-28-2013 10:15 AM

This has the potential to be disastrous to the mock.

I don't blame you htismaqe. Hope you don't leave Chiefs Planet forever. Do pop your head in when you can.

Direckshun 02-28-2013 10:33 AM

Now that I'm pretty much assured to be back in, I'll register my disapproval for SNR picking Geno 1st. It's not going to happen in the real draft, and it's honestly going to **** over the reality of the mock for the first 15 picks or so.

I've said my piece. You want to do it, do it. But I have to be consistent here -- I was against Hamas doing it in 2009, and I'm against it now.

That said...

#2009=2013

Sfeihc 02-28-2013 10:44 AM

I am disapoint. I urge all those thinking about quitting to think this through and not over react to the chiefs making a move you don't like. I'm quite sure it's not the first time they did something that you didn't like.

chiefscafan 02-28-2013 10:45 AM

Yeah very depressing day yesterday hopefully we get a great backup

Direckshun 02-28-2013 10:47 AM

After the Alex Smith Experiment runs its course, and the Chiefs are pretty much exactly where they are right now four years from now, I think we can safely say this will have been a rough decade for the Chiefs.

We'll finally have something on the longtime fans from the 80s who claim to have suffered the most. I don't think a single generation of Chiefs fans will have suffered as much as fans from 2009-2019.

Direckshun 02-28-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefscafan (Post 9450647)
hopefully we get a great backup

I'll take Things Only Chiefs Fans Say for $300, Alex.

htismaqe 02-28-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfeihc (Post 9450641)
I am disapoint. I urge all those thinking about quitting to think this through and not over react to the chiefs making a move you don't like. I'm quite sure it's not the first time they did something that you didn't like.

I still can't fathom why people say this.

It isn't THIS move. It's EVERY ****ING MOVE THEY'VE EVER MADE.

The Chiefs are doing it different from every other team out there.

We know what the successful teams look like and we know how they've built themselves. Hell, Andy Reid and John Dorsey were part of those teams.

They come to KC and do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what they've always done.

A week ago, Andy Reid was a GURU because he was flipping shit QBs for picks. Now in KC, he's flipping picks for shit QBs.

It's either a curse or the NFL is rigged but the Kansas Chiefs are what they are - they will NEVER win a Super Bowl.

There's zero reason to continue rooting for them.

Direckshun 02-28-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9450653)
We know what the successful teams look like and we know how they've built themselves. Hell, Andy Reid and John Dorsey were part of those teams.

A week ago, Andy Reid was a GURU because he was flipping shit QBs for picks. Now in KC, he's flipping picks for shit QBs.

This is a really, really odd turn of events, I'll give you that.

What on earth, htis. How could this happen with these two guys in charge?

The Franchise 02-28-2013 10:53 AM

It has nothing to do with the rinse and repeat GM/HC that we keep getting. It has everything to do with ownership and this fan base. They're perfect for each other. 8-8 and good BBQ!

Sfeihc 02-28-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9450653)
I still can't fathom why people say this.

It isn't THIS move. It's EVERY ****ING MOVE THEY'VE EVER MADE.

The Chiefs are doing it different from every other team out there.

It's either a curse or the NFL is rigged but the Kansas Chiefs are what they are - they will NEVER win a Super Bowl.

There's zero reason to continue rooting for them.

Well, I guess that makes us even because I can't fathom why so many are willing to just walk away from the CP Mock over this Smith deal.

The Franchise 02-28-2013 11:03 AM

I feel bad for SNR. Dude has it all lined up perfect and then he got the same shit that Hamas got in 2009.

If he takes a QB....he'll get yelled at by other people that he wasn't being realistic. If he doesn't....then it will break his heart.

Sfeihc 02-28-2013 11:05 AM

If SNR doesn't want KC anymore because of this I'd gladly trade him the Lions.

htismaqe 02-28-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfeihc (Post 9450690)
Well, I guess that makes us even because I can't fathom why so many are willing to just walk away from the CP Mock over this Smith deal.

Sorry man.

Without the Chiefs, I really don't have much interest in NFL football, at least not right now.

And without an interest in NFL football, I really don't have much interest in the draft.

Not to mention the lack of interest in posting on message boards overrun with 49er fans and people that think it's funny that 30+ year fans have the audacity to want something more from the experience than mediocrity.

Sfeihc 02-28-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9450706)
Sorry man.

Without the Chiefs, I really don't have much interest in NFL football, at least not right now.

And without an interest in NFL football, I really don't have much interest in the draft.

Not to mention the lack of interest in posting on message boards overrun with 49er fans and people that think it's funny that 30+ year fans have the audacity to want something more from the experience than mediocrity.

I'm not dancing a jig over this deal but it is what it is. The first move by the new regime. They still have four of the top 100 picks in the draft plus a starting QB for 2013. They took a look @ what was available via FA, trade and the draft and concluded Alex Smith was the way to go.
I'd hate to see anyone leave the CP Mock over this but at the end of the day the show must go on.

DJ's left nut 02-28-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignayshun (Post 9450593)
Now that I'm pretty much assured to be back in, I'll register my disapproval for SNR picking Geno 1st. It's not going to happen in the real draft, and it's honestly going to **** over the reality of the mock for the first 15 picks or so.

I've said my piece. You want to do it, do it. But I have to be consistent here -- I was against Hamas doing it in 2009, and I'm against it now.

That said...

#2009=2013

Here's the problem, though. The only 'realistic' pick is that overrated ****head Joekel or maybe Fisher. And I think virtually everyone involved with this draft knows how unspeakable stupid that would be. Presumably you'd be okay with him drafting Floyd, but honestly that's not any less realistic than Geno - Reid's shell concept is clear - he's not taking a D-Lineman with that pick, not when he already has his primary pass rushers.

So if all you're going to do by being in the mock is attempt to parrot the unspeakable stupidity of the team you're in control of, what the hell's the point?

The CP Mock is designed to give us normal schlubs a chance to show what we would do and see how it works out for us.

If SNR stays in the mock, he has to take Geno. The worst case scenario for 'realism' is that it pushes O-tackles down by a team so Arizona gets Fisher instead of Johnson - GASP!

****ing chiefs...

Sorter 02-28-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9450425)
I'm out guys. Give me slot to someone else.

I'm done with the Chiefs. They're not my team anymore.

And the only thing worse that them is the fans, especially here, that think us wanting the Chiefs to win a Super Bowl is somehow the wrong way to think.

They can have this team and enjoy they're neverending pursuit for "excellence".

:(

The Franchise 02-28-2013 12:54 PM

Someone shoot me a PM when a date has been decided for this. I'm still down....just taking a break.

Sorter 02-28-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9451254)
Someone shoot me a PM when a date has been decided for this. I'm still down....just taking a break.

Yup.

ChiefsCountry 02-28-2013 03:00 PM

Boys shake off and get ready come March 18. This thread is the best pure football thread we have every year. I know we have been kicked in the nuts, gut, and lit on fire but take alittle time - regroup your thoughts and lets do this.

Direckshun 02-28-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9451055)
Here's the problem, though. The only 'realistic' pick is that overrated ****head Joekel or maybe Fisher. And I think virtually everyone involved with this draft knows how unspeakable stupid that would be. Presumably you'd be okay with him drafting Floyd, but honestly that's not any less realistic than Geno - Reid's shell concept is clear - he's not taking a D-Lineman with that pick, not when he already has his primary pass rushers.

So if all you're going to do by being in the mock is attempt to parrot the unspeakable stupidity of the team you're in control of, what the hell's the point?

The CP Mock is designed to give us normal schlubs a chance to show what we would do and see how it works out for us.

If SNR stays in the mock, he has to take Geno. The worst case scenario for 'realism' is that it pushes O-tackles down by a team so Arizona gets Fisher instead of Johnson - GASP!

****ing chiefs...

Here's what SNR's doing.

He's drafting Geno Smith, and he's going to go into 2013 with Stephenson at LT.

Stephenson.

Alright? Alright.

And now you're praying a LT hits the market or our draft position next year.

RealSNR 02-28-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignayshun (Post 9452428)
Here's what SNR's doing.

Stephenson.

Alright? Alright.

I haven't decided if I want to pretend Geno Smith never existed, or if I want to go out guns blazing until the end.

I'm NOT drafting a mother****ing LT if I don't take Smith.

Sorter 02-28-2013 08:56 PM

Take Geno.

Direckshun 02-28-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9452736)
I haven't decided if I want to pretend Geno Smith never existed, or if I want to go out guns blazing until the end.

I'm NOT drafting a mother****ing LT if I don't take Smith.

Then I hope you enjoy getting raped all year on the weak side.

If Albert walks, and you do not draft a LT, you're borderline irresponsible as a mock GM.

And I know, who gives a shit, but like CC said, this is the best pure football thread of the year.

May common sense prevail.

Sorter 02-28-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignayshun (Post 9453144)

If Albert walks, and you do not draft a LT, you're borderline irresponsible as a mock GM.

And I know, who gives a shit, but like CC said, this is the best pure football thread of the year.

Lane Johnson will fall to the 2nd in this mock.

Direckshun 02-28-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9453250)
Lane Johnson will fall to the 2nd in this mock.

Good thing the Chiefs have a 2nd rounder.

RealSNR 02-28-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignayshun (Post 9453144)

A true GM of the team would determine, "I hate these LTs this year. I better re-sign Albert. Or get Long. Or Clady. Or whomever."

We don't have that luxury as mock draft GMs, but there's nothing written in that we can't pretend to be that when we make our draft boards.

DJ's left nut 03-01-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignayshun (Post 9452428)
Here's what SNR's doing.

Stephenson.

Alright? Alright.

And that would still be smarter than using 1.1 on Joeckel.

Direckshun 03-01-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9454029)
And that would still be smarter than using 1.1 on Joeckel.

I'd use it on Fisher, between the two of them.

Assuming we let Albert walk, you absolutely have to address LT.

crazycoffey 03-02-2013 10:39 PM

I'll throw my name in the hat, been a few years since I played and I'm in the alternate draft. If OTWP, Hamas and htismaqe really back out.

KurtCobain 03-02-2013 11:40 PM

I'll throw my name in as well. I was part of one a few years ago.

Direckshun 03-03-2013 03:07 PM

Not for nothing, but chiefscafan's doing a hell of a job on the Alt Mock. LMAO

RealSNR 03-03-2013 04:16 PM

Who are the guys not participating again? htismaqe? Likely Hamas?

Sfeihc 03-03-2013 04:43 PM

D, I agree. ca, can do it! He also didn't have over 25% of the GMs go full butt hurt over the Smith trade. I don't want to trash these GMs who are thinking about leaving because I respect their draft acumen and level of participation. That being said, right now they are take a giant crap on the CP Mock.

Direckshun 03-03-2013 09:05 PM

Hey ChiefsCountry,

You should honestly sticky the CP Alt Mock. They're doing a solid job and deserve to have their mock stickied rather than swishing around with the garbage (i.e. all my mocks).

chiefscafan 03-04-2013 07:52 AM

Hey I understand bout being angry bout the trade I was too, but I made a promise to run the alt mock so I put my feelings in check. However believe me the trade made me sick to my stomach. I hope we get a backup qb in case smith doesn't work.

DJ's left nut 03-04-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9454041)
I'd use it on Fisher, between the two of them.

Assuming we let Albert walk, you absolutely have to address LT.

If there was never any impression that Donald Stephenson could handle LT, then why the hell was he drafted so high? Over both Foles and Wilson?

I'd rather draft Floyd, Milliner or even Patterson and give Stephenson a crack at LT than take one of those tackles 1.1. I'm fine with doubling down on stupid at this point.

Afterall, we've taken every stupid !@#$ing shortcut imaginable thus far - why stop now? Throw the kid to the wolves and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that he sucks, Smith gets hurt again and we find ourselves back here next year.

Which, in all honesty, is probably not the worst case scenario. I'd rather go 2-14 again than get stuck in hellish mediocrity.

The Franchise 03-04-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9463239)

I'd rather draft Floyd, Milliner or even Patterson and give Stephenson a crack at LT than take one of those tackles 1.1. I'm fine with doubling down on stupid at this point.

This.

You absolutely have to give Stephenson a shot or letting Albert go and drafting a LT is a complete waste of 3 draft picks.

Direckshun 03-04-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

If there was never any impression that Donald Stephenson could handle LT, then why the hell was he drafted so high? Over both Foles and Wilson?

Um, because Scott Pioli was bad at his job?

Quote:

Afterall, we've taken every stupid !@#$ing shortcut imaginable thus far - why stop now? Throw the kid to the wolves and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that he sucks, Smith gets hurt again and we find ourselves back here next year.

Which, in all honesty, is probably not the worst case scenario. I'd rather go 2-14 again than get stuck in hellish mediocrity.

The worst case scenerio is the Alex Smith, our QB for the next several years (do not give a shit about reports that he won't be extended; he totally will), will become Cassel 2.0 as he curls into the fetal several times a game as teams load up the left side, and never gets comfortable in Kansas City. I do not think Stephenson is a 16 game starter at LT, and neither does anybody else in this thread.

You're getting Alex Smith Mania for the next three-five years. Try, god please try to understand the importance of a serious investment at LT.

DJ's left nut 03-04-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9463367)
Um, because Scott ***** was bad at his job?

The worst case scenerio is the Alex Smith, our QB for the next several years (do not give a shit about reports that he won't be extended; he totally will), will become Cassel 2.0 as he curls into the fetal several times a game as teams load up the left side, and never gets comfortable in Kansas City. I do not think Stephenson is a 16 game starter at LT, and neither does anybody else in this thread.

You're getting Alex Smith Mania for the next three-five years. Try, god please try to understand the importance of a serious investment at LT.

Why? The only way this team is winning !@#$ is if they have a fire-breathing defense or enough YAC pass catchers to make Smith look better. You can either zig when everyone else does and ensure that your 8-8 QB leads us to 8-8 or you can go after Floyd or Patterson and actually try to zag a little bit.

I don't care if we get Willie Roaf at LT - we'll still have a mediocre passing game. As such, why bother? Let's try to get the next Justin Smith and try to simply hide Alex Smith. Or go after the best CB in the draft and try to get teams to keep it on the ground and play to our 'strengths' - namely, ball control.

Using 1.1 on a LT is essentially multiplying by zero at this point - it just won't matter.

Direckshun 03-04-2013 02:46 PM

It'll matter when we have to stage ANY sort of comeback in the coming years, and teams' passrushers just pin their ears back.

You have to understand, Alex Smith finally succeeded this past year behind an offensive line with three first round picks. He needs a great line to stay upright.

Keeping Albert gives us that great line. Drafting Joeckel or Fisher gives us that great line.

To say it has no effect is laughable.

DJ's left nut 03-04-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9463421)
It'll matter when we have to stage ANY sort of comeback in the coming years, and teams' passrushers just pin their ears back.

You have to understand, Alex Smith finally succeeded this past year behind an offensive line with three first round picks. He needs a great line to stay upright.

Keeping Albert gives us that great line. Drafting Joeckel or Fisher gives us that great line.

To say it has no effect is laughable.

This team will not be staging many comebacks with Alex Smith at quarterback. It just won't be.

You can either install an elite LT in there (presuming any of these guys are one) to increase the odds of staging a monumental comeback from 10% to 20% or you can go after someone like Floyd or Patterson in an attempt to ensure that the comeback doesn't have to happen.

The problem is that you simply haven't adjusted your expectations to fit the ceiling of an Alex Smith team. Unless you have the kind of defense that the 49ers have had over the last couple of years, you're never going to be more than mediocre, regardless of the protection.

If you're going to cite the 49ers as proof that you can win with Alex Smith, you'd be well served to duplicate the most critical component of the 49er success and the only way you're going to do that is through pursuing Floyd. Though I think Patterson's skills are so incredible that I'd be willing to try to simple weaponize Smith to the point that he has no excuses not to find someone to throw to.

Direckshun 03-04-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9463457)
This team will not be staging many comebacks with Alex Smith at quarterback. It just won't be.

Yeah, no. This isn't Cassel we're talking about here. A quick google tells us Alex has half a dozen come from behind victories under Harbaugh alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9463457)
The problem is that you simply haven't adjusted your expectations to fit the ceiling of an Alex Smith team. Unless you have the kind of defense that the 49ers have had over the last couple of years, you're never going to be more than mediocre, regardless of the protection.

If you're going to cite the 49ers as proof that you can win with Alex Smith, you'd be well served to duplicate the most critical component of the 49er success and the only way you're going to do that is through pursuing Floyd. Though I think Patterson's skills are so incredible that I'd be willing to try to simple weaponize Smith to the point that he has no excuses not to find someone to throw to.

I don't disagree with most of this, but the defense was a major reason the 49ers won the past two years, but it was not the reason, as there is/was no silver bullet of success, there had to be multiple. He also received incredibly superior QB coaching, a friendlier offense, and of course a great run game behind one of the league's best OLs.

ChiefsCountry 03-04-2013 03:10 PM

Bowe just resigned, and Albert is getting the tag. Now its Floyd or Milner for the draft pick.

The Franchise 03-04-2013 03:15 PM

SNR.....you are now free to draft Geno.

RealSNR 03-04-2013 03:30 PM

**** you, Direckshun.

We're getting Geno.

Direckshun 03-04-2013 03:31 PM

LMAO

Marco Polo 03-04-2013 03:36 PM

I think I already know who I want with TN at 10.

RealSNR 03-04-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Polo (Post 9463821)
I think I already know who I want with TN at 10.

IT AIN'T GONNA BE GENO!!

HAHAHA

I'm so giddy right now